Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

Rubbish. There was a load of information on fox, cork, fonte, Dickson and Jaidi to name a few. Even Lee was known about before he signed. To suggest we never sign players we are linked with is just silly.

this is indeed true....we knew we were after sharp about 6 months before he signed

Rubbish. There was a load of information on fox, cork, fonte, Dickson and Jaidi to name a few. Even Lee was known about before he signed. To suggest we never sign players we are linked with is just silly.

In league 1 we signed players out of the blue, but this was because the media didn't really care about us so didn't bother to unearth rumours.

Now we're in the premier league it will be near on impossible to keep any interest quiet. One party will leak it at some stage and as we're a premier league club the media will take an interest.

We are probably genuinely interested in Jarvis.

Jarvis has played well both wings. I'm sure he could play opposite to Lallana or instead of him, or with Lallana central. We need a left footed wide player anyway. I think Jarvis would be perfect for providing crosses for Rickie. Exciting times.

Problem is, if we signed a quality young English winger with premier league experience, a record breaking fee and within weeks of the season ending, what on earth would people moan about?

Jarvis is naturally right footed, but is comfortable with both feet - this is from someone I know who has known Matt since he was 3.

Jarvis is naturally right footed, but is comfortable with both feet - this is from someone I know who has known Matt since he was 3.

I remember reading that a Saints fan on Twitter was his cousin. He told me about 2 years ago.

Matt has a fair few family members down this way and his girlfriend is local too I think.

Just been on Wave 105 that we are emerging as one of a number of clubs looking to sign Zak Whitbread from Norwich on a free.

Sincerely if he isn't good enough for Norwich then he probably isn't good enough for us. We are targetting Top 10 apparently, won't get there with Zak Whitbread.

Sincerely if he isn't good enough for Norwich then he probably isn't good enough for us. We are targetting Top 10 apparently, won't get there with Zak Whitbread.

To be fair, he's played a fair bit for Norwich this year and hasn't done a great deal wrong. Would be a decent squad addition....but as with Zat Knight, he wouldn't improve us in anyway.

To be fair, he's played a fair bit for Norwich this year and hasn't done a great deal wrong. Would be a decent squad addition....but as with Zat Knight, he wouldn't improve us in anyway.

Totally agree. Considering that Jaidi is retiring, thats one CB we need and not sure if Seaborne can make step up so Whitbread would become the replacement for Seaborne.

Swansea have an initial bid to sign on-loan Gylfi Sigurdsson on a permanent deal rejected by Hoffenheim, BBC Sport Wales understands.

Fair play to Swansea for having a go. He'll surely end up at a top 8 prem side won't he?

He's been quality since he's been back.

I know...brilliant isn't it

Improve what ?

Why does everyone think teams can only play a standard 442 ?

We don’t

Get over it

Wow.

So you think we are all set to survive in the EPL because we finished 2nd in the second tier? Just like to point you towards QPR pal.

SS, please show me where I mentioned 4-4-2? Also, a box to box midfielder is mainly used in 4-3-3 not just 4-4-2 so I suggest you get off Football Manager.

Two mongs, who are insinuating that we don’t need to have alternative's in the PL, we haven’t got a pacey winger, so I imagine it would not be beneficial to us to add a pacey winger to our squad?

Brilliant, I won’t get these two minutes I've spent replying to you back.

We have a pacey winger, not that we use one TBH niether is he any good.

We play a compact 4222 formation, sometimes more like a 41212 but nevertheless very fluid, we gain most of our width from our full backs and attempt to gain control in the middle of the park.

So what would a box to box midfielder actually do ? That said Cork or chappers could possibly do this role.

Why does everyone bang on about a goalscoring midfielder aswell ? Guly and lallana both filled in with that role

Improve what ?

Why does everyone think teams can only play a standard 442 ?

We dont

Get over it

We have a pacey winger, not that we use one TBH niether is he any good.

We play a compact 4222 formation, sometimes more like a 41212 but nevertheless very fluid, we gain most of our width from our full backs and attempt to gain control in the middle of the park.

So what would a box to box midfielder actually do ? That said Cork or chappers could possibly do this role.Why does everyone bang on about a goalscoring midfielder aswell ? Guly and lallana both filled in with that role

There he be.

Wow.

So you think we are all set to survive in the EPL because we finished 2nd in the second tier? Just like to point you towards QPR pal.

SS, please show me where I mentioned 4-4-2? Also, a box to box midfielder is mainly used in 4-3-3 not just 4-4-2 so I suggest you get off Football Manager.

Two mongs, who are insinuating that we don’t need to have alternative's in the PL, we haven’t got a pacey winger, so I imagine it would not be beneficial to us to add a pacey winger to our squad?

Even on FM, 442 doesn't get you above mid-table in the PL and you get royally shafted by the good teams. I'm also prone to quitting the game and restarting if I don't like the result. Currently I have a high-flying PL team with an average age of about 23 and no wages above £50k. It's clearly a long way from reality although elements of logic persist.

I think we'll need to move away from a classic 442 to do more than battle for survival each season. Wingers with pace, ability and flair tend not to be great defensively and we need to provide defensive support to make the most of players like that.

Liam Trotter would be a quality signing imo, bang Millwall £2m for him and we've got a big lad in midfield who's good on the ball, a good passer, an aerial threat and can put in a good tackle. Can play CB if need be as well. Would be a very useful player to have in the squad should we need to play with a more defensive strategy - sitting just in front of Morgan at CM to break up attacks and spark off a counter-attack.

Can we just start high, and pay whatever it costs to get the "midfield general" we need in. Once we've seen how much that costs, then we can readjust our expectations on the other positions we need to address. The trouble is...I have no idea who fits the bill. I think we have to be looking at smashing our transfer record though - maybe as high as 10 mil??? (unless they are out of contract of course, and then we can just blow the 10 mil on his salary :) )

Here we go again, what's with posters on here, and this obsession with squad players ffs. Get in five players better than what we have, and Bingo! we have solved two issues, one being 'squad' players.

Here we go again, what's with posters on here, and this obsession with squad players ffs. Get in five players better than what we have, and Bingo! we have solved two issues, one being 'squad' players.

Agree entirely. We have enough squad players.

But If you read my views on this before you'll see that I'm also not keen on the idea, hence why I said that he wouldn't improve us in anyway. We need players that are immediately better.

But If you read my views on this before you'll see that I'm also not keen on the idea, hence why I said that he wouldn't improve us in anyway. We need players that are immediately better.

Yes I did, and it wasn't a pop at you, yours was just the unfortunate quote I picked up on..................sorry!

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/05/04/3077457/southampton-line-up-summer-moves-to-sign-yakubu-livermore?

Linking us with Yakubu (no thanks), Matt Phillips (yes please), Jake Livermore (yes please), and Simon Cox (no thanks)

I would take all of them - Yakubu has scored nearly 20 goals this season and Cox can still be effective in the Premier League imo

Wow.

Statistically the team finishing second does better the next season in the EPL than the team finishing first or third. And look at last year from league 1, did Brighton finish above us?

This from the same source that stated we were very close to being sold in March for £25M (before £15M invetsment in youth development was made public)!!

Let's move on - nothing to see here :-)

I agree. 'Squad player' seems to be the diplomatic was of describing a player who isn't actually good enough to be in the first team... but we still want to buy them anyway for some reason.

Lowe/Sturrock/Wigley built a squad of 40 odd "squad players", hardly any of them were up to the job.

This from the same source that stated we were very close to being sold in March for £25M (before £15M invetsment in youth development was made public)!!

Let's move on - nothing to see here :-)

And the same source that revelaed we were signing Tadanari Lee...

Livermore would be quality, and I have seen us linked with Mark Davies as well - he is a very good player.

We woudn't touch Yakubu. Yes he can score some goals, but at a huge detriment to team spirit and workrate. There's a reason his sides tend to struggle. Same with Cisse. Good strikers, will grab a few goals, but wouldn't want either anywhere near the club.

Adkins said: “We want to sign young, hungry players.”

Nuff said

I agree. 'Squad player' seems to be the diplomatic was of describing a player who isn't actually good enough to be in the first team... but we still want to buy them anyway for some reason.

Lowe/Sturrock/Wigley built a squad of 40 odd "squad players", hardly any of them were up to the job.

No-one wants us to sign players that aren't good enough. For "squad player", read 'player with a reputation that isn't so large that he expects to be starting every game regardless of form'. Squad players add strength to the squad, players that aren't good enough are deadwood, which we had a lot of under Lowe/Sturrock/Wigley/Redknapp.