Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

No-one wants us to sign players that aren't good enough. For "squad player", read 'player with a reputation that isn't so large that he expects to be starting every game regardless of form'. Squad players add strength to the squad, players that aren't good enough are deadwood, which we had a lot of under Lowe/Sturrock/Wigley/Redknapp.

We wont be signing anybody like that.

To me a squad player implies just another body in the squad who wisn't actually good enough for the first 11 but would provide cover. We need to improve the squad, not expand it. IMO we need to be signing players who are better or different to what we have now. Players like Whitbread and Yakuba just aren't.

Man City will clearly buy a sh!t load more players this summer , but not be able to move any on due to their stupidly high salaries.

Could be 3 or 4 of them we could take a look at and all funded by Man City

Adam Johnson for one.

Lighthouse hits the nail squarely on the head - Lowe built a huge squad of mainly average players the majority of who just weren't up to it and that was his and our downfall. As a result he still ended up with a fairly high wage bill but very little quality and couldn't seem to grasp that to compete in the Premier you must have a certain number of better players who quite rightly command higher salaries. This meant that the manager had to somehow cobble together a team capable of winning enough games just to achieve survival - no surprise that Lowe's lack of understanding got found out. You must have some higher quality players in your squad. Let's not make the same mistakes again or our stay in the Prem will undoubtedly be a very short one.

Man City will clearly buy a sh!t load more players this summer , but not be able to move any on due to their stupidly high salaries.

Adam Johnson for one.

Roque Santa Cruz

Aleksandar Kolarov :)

Vladimir Weiss

David Pizarro

I certainly think that personality will come into it quite a lot. If they are like the stereotype premier league footballer than I'm not sure we'll be that interested as team ethics will play a huge part next season. We need hungry players who are down to earth who fit in with the bunch we have now. They are clearly all very good friends as well as teammates.

Crikey ! only a week after the end of season ..and nearly 500 posts already. How big will this thread get before August ?

Can the IT system take it MODS ?

facebook innit, that can take anything,including 22-28 dollars a share of yer hard-earned. I'm gonna have a punt though.

I would take all of them - Yakubu has scored nearly 20 goals this season and Cox can still be effective in the Premier League imo

yes impressive ..especially ín a team about to be relegated, but can you see him getting " Saints fit "?.

He 'll be 30 in November, and unless he's for free, I don't think he'd be such a good investment.

NA is up for signing experienced 22-26 year olds with a view to long term development.

Lot's of good suggestions in this thread! Owen, Yakubu, Lampard etc.

Does anyone know the approriate email to send them to Nigel? He might not be aware of some of these up-and-coming players and would probably be glad of suggestions!

Adam Johnson for one.

I very much doubt that City would fund the wages of somebody like Adam Johnson. They part-funded Adebayor's wages for Tottenham as he is on something utterly obscene like over £150k a week. Johnson is probably only on something mildly obscene like £50k a week. City would expect a Prem club to meet that cost, I'd imagine.

Liam Trotter would be a quality signing imo, bang Millwall £2m for him and we've got a big lad in midfield who's good on the ball, a good passer, an aerial threat and can put in a good tackle. Can play CB if need be as well. Would be a very useful player to have in the squad should we need to play with a more defensive strategy - sitting just in front of Morgan at CM to break up attacks and spark off a counter-attack.
Very , very good player ! I would be made up if we could get him.

Still think we need a PL quality keeper.

Davis was dire in his last PL outing for Sunderland years ago and I was absolutely flabbergasted that he got in the FLC team of the season ahead of decent keepers like Myhill, Schmeichel and Fererici.

Think we could do with a better keeper, love Kelvin and he's done well this season but I really do think we need a top quality keeper for the PL, I don't think people realise how difficult Davis will find it in the big leagues.

Burke from Brum for RM more assists than anyone else in the division this season.
is he all that? He didn't cause us any problems at all. My Brummie mate thinks we are likely to go for him

is he all that? He didn't cause us any problems at all. My Brummie mate thinks we are likely to go for him

He played okay in the game up there. He's been Brums best player so far tonight and looked good the times I've seen him on the telly.

Of the players on the pitch now though I'd take Phillips and Ince over him.

Dobbie looks worth a punt if Swansea are willing to sell. Bags of skill, very tricky and not afraid to take defenders on. Gave us plenty of problems too. Could see him linking up well with Lambert and wouldn't cost a fortune.

Dobbie looks worth a punt if Swansea are willing to sell. Bags of skill, very tricky and not afraid to take defenders on. Gave us plenty of problems too. Could see him linking up well with Lambert and wouldn't cost a fortune.

Although a decent Championship player if Dobbie is the limit of our ambition next season then I fear for us - to compete we need 4/5 proven quality players that are significantly better than we already have which will raise the standard of our squad. I hope that we are thinking more Waitrose than Lidl.

Davis was dire in his last PL outing for Sunderland years ago and I was absolutely flabbergasted that he got in the FLC team of the season ahead of decent keepers like Myhill, Schmeichel and Fererici.

Think we could do with a better keeper, love Kelvin and he's done well this season but I really do think we need a top quality keeper for the PL, I don't think people

realise how difficult Davis will find it in the big leagues.

Davis had that Sunderland defence infront of him.. Peter Shilton couldnt have kept a clean sheet with that defence.

Davis had that Sunderland defence infront of him.. Peter Shilton couldnt have kept a clean sheet with that defence.

I agree with Blakey that we need a keeper, someone to push Davis rather than stick him on the bench all season.

Kasper is just that sort of player who will improve once Davis takes him under his wing.

Adkins will not sign Bertie Big Bollix players who flit from club to club with big egos and big wage packets. Expect canny low-key signings which then prove astute (e.g. Jos) probably mainly from Championship with PL calibre after being infected with Adkins enthusiasm (e.g. Rodrigues, McCormack, etc) with the odd foreign player who has been shaken down to see they fit in with what will be one of the tightest, closest and best team spirits in the PL next season.

Think we could do with a better keeper, love Kelvin and he's done well this season but I really do think we need a top quality keeper for the PL, I don't think people realise how difficult Davis will find it in the big leagues.

I think NA will have a few tough decisions to make and perhaps KD will be one of them as he never comes for a high ball in the box and in the PL that will be a problem. But essentially I think NA will stick with what he has. We have become a team unit and got promoted with a great spirit with some rotation of players. NA will keep this spirit but make it stronger. Players can evolve and get better, look at Hammond. PErsonally I hope we never sign a single PL journey man on big bucks, I'd rather get relegated.

It was previously suggested on here though that it might be Puncheon who is offered to Burnley.

Can't see it personally, as I can't see him wanting to move there. Blackpool I thought might be a more likely destination, to resume his spell with 'ollie ( or perhaps just too hopeful of Phillips signing).

If we could get Dobbie. Ince and Phillips on a 3-for-a-tenner (£10M) deal (like the wine at Sainsburys) then we would be sorted. Have to wait and see who gets up to the Prem with us ... but if Blackpool don't, I'd be more than happy to move for any or all of them.

Kieran Trippier from Burnley. Hopefully in a double deal with Rodriguez.

Just looked on a Burnley forum, and they accredit this rumour as :

According ti ITK agent on twitter, Southampton had put an offer in for jay rod and trippier. Cash plus a player

Perhaps not a reliable source ?

(http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2114828144)

The offer for J Rod has been on the table since the Fox deal. We've been given 1st refusal by the player and club due to the respectful and professional manner in which we conducted ourselves.

They want one of our CMs as part of the deal.

This comes from a Burnley player and a Burnley board member.

The offer for J Rod has been on the table since the Fox deal. We've been given 1st refusal by the player and club due to the respectful and professional manner in which we conducted ourselves.

They want one of our CMs as part of the deal.

This comes from a Burnley player and a Burnley board member.

Hammond has been a good servant, but if he has to go, he has to go!

If we could get Dobbie. Ince and Phillips on a 3-for-a-tenner (£10M) deal (like the wine at Sainsburys) then we would be sorted. Have to wait and see who gets up to the Prem with us ... but if Blackpool don't, I'd be more than happy to move for any or all of them.

I'm pretty sure Dobbie is only on loan at Blackpool from Swansea. Ince and Phillips would be great though!

Also bid on table for Jarvis and we're looking at Matt Phillips. Adkins and Crosby are going to St Andrews on Wednesday to watch 2nd leg.

I'd have a look at Ince while they are there, he is very good and has a bright future. Forget Jarvis, get Ince and Phillips if they don't go up.