Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

I think Wilson Palacios could be a veryful useful acquisition. A great defensive midfielder that is proven in the EPL and never seems to get a game at stoke. I'd be shocked if he's made 10 league appearances since his move to stoke. He cost them £6million and even if they wanted to recoup that fee it would be a very good deal for us.

I'm stunned at his lack of impact at Stoke to be honest. He was terrific at Spurs and lost his way through injury, it seems that the same injury problems have followed him to Stoke.

There's no doubting that he is a terrific player though, a proper premier league box to box midfielder. If he can get over his injury problems I'd take him in a shot.

Just to confirm, the approach was beginning of last season from a team who have been subsequently promoted to the Premier League. If I meant a team already promoted to the Premier League like QPR I would have said "had" rather than "have". People who know me understand that as a fellow of Oxford University I always choose my words carefully.

See!

For the third time, pay as you play. I've clearly said I'd never sign Hargreaves in a million years on a normal contract and wouldn't want anyone just there for the money. Sometimes on here people seem to make up their own point to argue against.

I know what you said and I'm not making up a point.

Three problems with a pay as you play deal:

1) He will want some form of basic wage, there's no way he'd take a deal whereby he is payed nothing for 4 or 5 months whilst he's injured.

2) If he is payed so little basic money, what do you think his match fee will be? £100k per match? He will want his money one way or another.

3) We're going to need another player just to cover him for the 9/10 games he's injured anyway, so we'll just end up paying someone else.

Davis

Clyne Davies/Tomkins Jos Fox

Jarvis Guthrie Schneiderlin Lallana

Hooper Lambert

New Keeper, Fonte, Cork, Lee ,Sharp

Davies or Tomkins based on who doesn't go up. Not too sure on Clyne though, haven't seen much of him. It would be good having Baird back.

No thanks Lee is alot better than Hooper, Lee stretches the defenders, helps the midfield and has pace, Hooper is too lazy for our style. I'm also sure Jarvis plays on the left, last time i saw Wolves on match of the day he played on the left but isn't a bag of pace, i'd go with Ince from Blackpool.

after watching various games last night and tonight...we very much need a touch of pace and power....we really lack that

Jason Roberts showed what we will need.......and he is a journeyman at Pl level.

You are right we need to add pace and strength right through the side........we will especially need this away from home.

Watching the Bolton game tonight and what about Chris Eagles anybody? Pace, trickery, good cross and shot. RM just what we need and with Bolton going down...

david whiter...?

most of the bolton team are out of contract or hitting 12 months this summer......preparing for the drop

i guess will be good for them, they won't get rid of coyle, will have parachute payments and able to offload high earner immediately

after watching various games last night and tonight...we very much need a touch of pace and power....we really lack that

IMO our lack of pace cost us the title, we struggle with teams pressing us, and so they play with a high line, generally speaking that means we have no effective out ball, as we cant spring that.

We all saw last week how slow Sharp is

david whiter...?

most of the bolton team are out of contract or hitting 12 months this summer......preparing for the drop

i guess will be good for them, they won't get rid of coyle, will have parachute payments and able to offload high earner immediately

Id look at Wheater, Reo-coker and Eagles, not saying sign them all but all are decent players at this level

a wolves site reckon he won't go for less than £8m..no way

and that swansea should pay £8m and give them routeledge

they are in dream land

Exactly, I can't imagine Wolves are going to be in a hurry to get rid of him. I guess we will have to wait and see though, you never know.

Is Jarvis left footed?
Yes very left footed. Could see a bit of Lallana on the right next year if we sign Jarvis, although Adkins doesn't seem to like playing out and out 'wingers'. He likes the width to come from the full backs and the RM and LM float inbetween the CM and the forwards.

Yes very left footed. Could see a bit of Lallana on the right next year if we sign Jarvis, although Adkins doesn't seem to like playing out and out 'wingers'. He likes the width to come from the full backs and the RM and LM float inbetween the CM and the forwards.

I believe he is actually naturally right-footed but pays on the left.

Maybe he plays that way cos we haven't got any wingers?

Might have a relegation release fee or something. 4m seems about right to me, but fans value their own players differently. Still, not a great bargaining position when you're relegated, need to cut costs a bit and the player wants to leave. He's been out of form so interest won't be as high as it was a year or so ago.

Anything up to 6m and I think he'd be worth it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did have such a clause in his contract. I very much doubt he'll be playing Championship football next season, being fairly young and having good prospects.

Jarvis has played well both wings. I'm sure he could play opposite to Lallana or instead of him, or with Lallana central. We need a left footed wide player anyway. I think Jarvis would be perfect for providing crosses for Rickie. Exciting times.

Problem is, if we signed a quality young English winger with premier league experience, a record breaking fee and within weeks of the season ending, what on earth would people moan about?

The fact we're up for sale ?

Think Ambrose has been struggling to get into Palace's team this season? Don't think he played against us at Selhurst of at St Mary's.

Edit: Ok, thats wrong he's made 41 apps for them this season.

He played their last game v Boro and played one the best through balls i've seen this season to set up palace's opening goal.

I hope we get a player in with devastating pace.

doesn't guarantee them to be a decent footballer though. Antonio and Papa Waigo had immense pace but rarely did anything constructive with it with the latter being needlessly offside majority of the time . I take your point though we defo need more pace but with end product as well.

From what I seen Matt Phillips would be good but like with most wingers he can be a bit inconsistent. Finding a winger with pace who regularly supplies decent service will cost us big bucks.

The way that Saints now buy players is as follows:

- We speculate and are way off the mark

- Saints announce a new player

- We go 'never thought of him' or 'who is he?'

- Several months later 'he was a good buy' eg Jos

I expect to be surprised over the summer. The only thing that we normally get right is the areas that need strengthening. So my guesses are:

- Up and coming goalkeeper to replace Bart

- Cover at centre back

- Holding midfield player

- Someone quick up front

I also think that NA is going to be careful not to upset the team ethic - so no Tevez

Not sure we need a 'holding' midfielder, as all of our 3 midfielders are 'holding'. We need a box to box CM who is going to score a few goals. i.e. Sigardssonn sp? despite no chance, he is the sort of player we need in the middle of the park. We need a CB, RB, CM, RM, ST IMO.

Also maybe a GK and a LB. But probably could do without them.

Not sure we need a 'holding' midfielder, as all of our 3 midfielders are 'holding'. We need a box to box CM who is going to score a few goals. i.e. Sigardssonn sp? despite no chance, he is the sort of player we need in the middle of the park. We need a CB, RB, CM, RM, ST IMO.

Also maybe a GK and a LB. But probably could do without them.

and completely change the way we play..?

doesn't guarantee them to be a decent footballer though. Antonio and Papa Waigo had immense pace but rarely did anything constructive with it with the latter being needlessly offside majority of the time . I take your point though we defo need more pace but with end product as well.

From what I seen Matt Phillips would be good but like with most wingers he can be a bit inconsistent. Finding a winger with pace who regularly supplies decent service will cost us big bucks.

I think he meant a decent player too...not just a sprinter.