More improvements at St Mary's Stadium

Matthew Le God

Thanks for the post and picture,MLG. I like the Spurs Greenhouse; they could grow a few tomatos in that. We ought to copy that at Staplewood and the toms could be marketed under a COYR trade name.

Or maybe not...

It's a good idea. I'm all for maximising revenues and the Cortese "together as one" range of tomatoes is genius. We could sell them at Sunnyfields organic farm in Totton or from a fruit and veg stall outside SMS next to my foam hand and t-shirt stall.

"Top 8", means anywhere from 1st to 8th.

It is hard to compare Staplewood to for example man Utd's. Staplewood is going to be brand new and high spec, where as Man Utd's training ground is now largely constructed 12 years ago (they have added and improved but still is largely the same). Man Utd's is larger than Staplewood, but Staplewood is more modern.

At no point did I say Saints would be one of a tiny elite few with category 1 status. A number of people have confused what I said last summer. I said "as things stand with current plans only Man City, Chelsea and Saints would get category 1 status".

Stoke are getting Cat 1 as are QPR and Norwich, its going to be the standard. Staplewood is better than QPR but not the facility that will be built in 12 months time.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/norwich_city_in_good_health_says_chairman_1_1134222

http://www.fcbusiness.co.uk/news/article/newsitem=1798/title=qpr+reveal+plans+for+new+training+ground

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/stoke-announce-6m-training-ground-expansion.html

Stoke are getting Cat 1 as are QPR and Norwich, its going to be the standard.

There is a minimum standard to get category 1 status, it is possible for two clubs to reach the minimum but one to pass at a higher level. Just because clubs are category one it doesn't mean they are equal. Norwich and Stoke's training grounds aren't a match on what is being built at Staplewood.

btw QPR haven't applied for category one status

Staplewood is better than QPR but not the facility that will be built in 12 months time.

What is that claim based on? What will QPR have that Staplewood won't have?

Edited by Matthew Le God

What is so wrong with someone being excited about Saints' future?

Bet the people knocking MLG would love a poor season/relegation so they could come on their internet forum and play the toldyouso card, what sad, negative lives they must lead

I've been trying to establish all day the differences in prem teams training grounds and where we are in comparison. What do we have for example that stoke or QPR won't? What will man city have that no one else will? Is it just a case of more running machines?

All I've really see of our new training ground is a mock up of a small looking swimming pool and a cinema/lecture hall. Will there be a lot of sport science stuff, oxygen tanks or something or is it just a big David Lloyd with football pitches instead of tennis courts?

What it boils down to is there is a standard you need to get to be "Cat A" like there is for 5 star hotels. I expect most premier league clubs and wealthy championship clubs will eventually get there. But like 5 star hotels, some will be just at tht standard and some will exceed it. I can't see how having gold plated taps or slightly deeper baths is going to make a single bit of difference when attracting new players. Or if the training ground cost £6m or £26m to improve.

Bet the people knocking MLG would love a poor season/relegation so they could come on their internet forum and play the toldyouso card, what sad, negative lives they must lead

Aboslutely spot on. I'm hoping we lose every single game in the Premier League. Just so I can say i told that we wouldn't............., erm, we wouldn't......., well, um, I'm not sure yet what, but I definitely told you so anyway.

What it boils down to is there is a standard you need to get to be "Cat A" like there is for 5 star hotels. I expect most premier league clubs and wealthy championship clubs will eventually get there. But like 5 star hotels, some will be just at tht standard and some will exceed it. I can't see how having gold plated taps or slightly deeper baths is going to make a single bit of difference when attracting new players. Or if the training ground cost £6m or £26m to improve.

Apparently this doesn't matter anyway. At least it didn't when Tottenham were spending more than us on their training complex. Although confusingly it did seem to matter than we're spending more than Stoke are on their new training centre, so maybe it does matter. I'm not sure.

What's wrong with being excited about Saints future while at the same time not giving two sh its about whether QPR have a slightly better or slightly worse training ground than we do.

What's wrong with being excited about Saints future while at the same time not giving a screaming dump about some new red felt around the pitch?

How does having a laugh at someone firing off/asking for reams of statistics to "prove" our academy might be better than Stokes....how does that equate to wanting Saints to "have a poor season"? Seriously, how do you make that leap?

I think you are, just about, allowed to be a Saints fan without being too bothered if we have fewer treadmills and eye-gyms at our academy than QPR.

I support a football club, not a branch of David fu ck ing Lloyd.

what's wrong with being excited about saints future while at the same time not giving two sh its about whether qpr have a slightly better or slightly worse training ground than we do.

What's wrong with being excited about saints future while at the same time not giving a screaming dump about some new red felt around the pitch?

How does having a laugh at someone firing off/asking for reams of statistics to "prove" our academy might be better than stokes....how does that equate to wanting saints to "have a poor season"? Seriously, how do you make that leap?

I think you are, just about, allowed to be a saints fan without being too bothered if we have fewer treadmills and eye-gyms at our academy than qpr.

I support a football club, not a branch of david fu ck ing lloyd.

don't read the "fu ck ing" thread then

Yes, it does, it answers Tokyo-Saint's final question.

It is also there for Flyer to tell me, what QPR will have that Staplewood doesn't have...?

You said

"It is hard to compare Staplewood to for example man Utd's. Staplewood is going to be brand new and high spec, where as Man Utd's training ground is now largely constructed 12 years ago (they have added and improved but still is largely the same). Man Utd's is larger than Staplewood, but Staplewood is more modern."

It will be more modern simply by being built later. You listed that as a plus against Man U so Im just doing the same thing.

I counted 8 pitches, QPR will have 11 plus 10 community pitches.

They also have designated GK training and 7 pitches in different sizes for the u10, u13, u14, u16, u21 plus a 3g pitch, not sure if Saints have that.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnx3YXJyZW5mYXJtaW50ZXJlc3Rncm91cHxneDo3MjIyZDAxZDg0NjI5Y2Ux

You are really digging yourself into a hole here.

don't read the f*****g thread then

What, and miss all the hilarity. No chance. Its LOLs on toast here.

I'll just get back to desperately wishing Saints lose every single game next season so I can, you know, really enjoy it. Or something.

You said

"It is hard to compare Staplewood to for example man Utd's. Staplewood is going to be brand new and high spec, where as Man Utd's training ground is now largely constructed 12 years ago (they have added and improved but still is largely the same). Man Utd's is larger than Staplewood, but Staplewood is more modern."

It will be more modern simply by being built later. You listed that as a plus against Man U so Im just doing the same thing.

I counted 8 pitches, QPR will have 11 plus 10 community pitches.

They also have designated GK training and 7 pitches in different sizes for the u10, u13, u14, u16, u21 plus a 3g pitch, not sure if Saints have that.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnx3YXJyZW5mYXJtaW50ZXJlc3Rncm91cHxneDo3MjIyZDAxZDg0NjI5Y2Ux

You are really digging yourself into a hole here.

Looks all decent Flyer; most rational people would probably agree that both QPR and Saints developments will do well for the club and give them up to date training facilities more in-keeping with a lot of the clubs in the Premier League.

What's going on with your ground? I heard there were plans for a new location and bigger stadium. Its a shame in a way, I love Loftus Road, its a proper subbuteo stadium and I've had some cracking away days there. But there's obviously no growth potential and its properly hemmed in, so a move is the only option.

Thanks for the info MLG, the plans were interesting. If I am permitted to place one criticism, it is that it didn't really tell me too much of what will be inside but I guess all of the really juicy stuff is kept under wraps as we don't want other clubs copying it.

I am genuinely interested in how highly you regard the source that told you about the stadium expansion to 52k. Do you believe them? Are they credible?

On another note, stranger than the people like Turkish who are a bit negative towards you (I have been myself in the past but I am trying to be polite in the hope you won't be condescending), is the people that think anyone questioning a word MLG says is either criticising him to the point of bullying him or is in someway a negative saints fan who hopes we get relegated.

MLG is the one being questioned as he is the one who put forward the information and generally researches stuff. The questions are in the most part genuine, even Turkish with his aggressive style is mainly just questioning the validity of the claims and at times poking a bit of fun. It might be boring at times as the threads become the same but not nearly as boring as the people getting on their high horse.

Thank you for the info MLG. I am obviously a far more sceptical person than you and therefore question the propaganda but the information is never-the-less interesting.

Flyer does have a good point though.

Looks all decent Flyer; most rational people would probably agree that both QPR and Saints developments will do well for the club and give them up to date training facilities more in-keeping with a lot of the clubs in the Premier League.

What's going on with your ground? I heard there were plans for a new location and bigger stadium. Its a shame in a way, I love Loftus Road, its a proper subbuteo stadium and I've had some cracking away days there. But there's obviously no growth potential and its properly hemmed in, so a move is the only option.

I felt the same way about the dell, a proper ground but clearly its time had passed.

Were look at a 45k multi purpose ground with a roof, hotel etc Finding land in w12 is hard and very expensive but at least weve been told its going to be 2 tiers and close to the pitch. I hope its all true because most of the stadiums in the last 15 years have no real identity apart from Arsenal but thats very quiet and sterile.

Tokyo-saint is another one to add to the sensible and what I would consider to be normal posters. It's a small list but well done Tokyo.

Thank you hypo but I feel you are greatly mistaken. I am far from sensible and am only being sensible on this thread as it is the first potentially interesting one on the main forum for ages (more interesting than the endless threads we have on every player a journalist has been bothered to link us to anyway) and because there are adults present and it's bad enough hearing them moan about Turkish (without really even having the bottle to name him), let alone having them moan about me too.

Please feel free to call me an idiot on other threads.

Apparently this doesn't matter anyway. At least it didn't when Tottenham were spending more than us on their training complex. Although confusingly it did seem to matter than we're spending more than Stoke are on their new training centre, so maybe it does matter. I'm not sure.

I'm surprised that we are spending more than Stoke - surely the cost of materials for the 200 foot high dome for their indoor practice pitch must be huge.

Finally got chip and pin machines at the club shop.

We are premier league.

Yea but the staff hate em. When i bought my shirt the day after release I mentioned them and the bloke said "yea but they arent anywhere near as good as they had hoped." Surprising really as it should in theory speed up service times and reduce queues. Maybe it was just teething problems though.

I don't understand all this criticism. We have a tradition of talent in our academy, any investment towards improving its conditions should be considered good.

Where is all this criticism? I've reread the thread and am struggling to find any really. Yes, we are improving and that is a good thing but other teams arent just standing there doing nothing, they are not Pompey.

It is a fair question, what are other teams in the division doing and where will that put us in comparison. It doesn't mean we hate MLG or mig as hulk calls him or that anyone wants saints to do badly. Just that we are trying to have a chat about ground and training ground improvements.

Edited by Tokyo-Saint

Where is all this criticism? I've reread the thread and am struggling to find any really. Yes, we are improving and that is a good thing but other teams arent just standing there doing nothing, they are not Pompey.

It is a fair questions, what are other teams in the division doing and where will that put us in comparison. It doesn't mean we hate MLG or mig as hulk calls him or that anyone wants saints to do badly. Just that we are trying to have a chat about ground and training ground improvements.

I think people confuse questioning with criticism. Don't forget the only acceptable response to anything on here is "this is amazing" anything else is considered bullying, negative and trolling. Just take what you are told Tokyo and reply "this is amazing" even if it is only new felt around the pitch.

I think people confuse questioning with criticism. Don't forget the only acceptable response to anything on here is "this is amazing" anything else is considered bullying, negative and trolling. Just take what you are told Tokyo and reply "this is amazing" even if it is only new felt around the pitch.

And therein lies the problem - internet forum bullies like yourself don't just question do they? You never just come out and say something like - "thanks for info - I think the plans for the training ground look terrible". Oh no, you've got to bait MLG and push into a corner until he says something daft which you then relentlessly criticise. Trouble is because you're bullies, you either can't or won't back off and recognise your behaviour for what it is. Worst still it's pretty obvious you're never going to change, because that would negate your reason for using this forum probably. Just try 'chatting' about the information and not about the messenger for once.

I for one think the information MLG provides is informative and useful. I don't judge it because I prefer to judge the outcomes of stuff like the training ground improvements etc. I do wish he would stop engaging with the bullies though - it would save so much time having to skip through the rubbish on here.

And therein lies the problem - internet forum bullies like yourself don't just question do they? You never just come out and say something like - "thanks for info - I think the plans for the training ground look terrible". Oh no, you've got to bait MLG and push into a corner until he says something daft which you then relentlessly criticise. Trouble is because you're bullies, you either can't or won't back off and recognise your behaviour for what it is. Worst still it's pretty obvious you're never going to change, because that would negate your reason for using this forum probably. Just try 'chatting' about the information and not about the messenger for once.

I for one think the information MLG provides is informative and useful. I don't judge it because I prefer to judge the outcomes of stuff like the training ground improvements etc. I do wish he would stop engaging with the bullies though - it would save so much time having to skip through the rubbish on here.

Err, prehaps that's because i dont think the plans look terrible??

I still haven't seen any real criticism of our training ground or stadium development plans. Am I missing something?

It seems to be the standard reaction from some; when you don't tie the line of SFC being absolutely exceptional, just becoming (an impressive) one of a number of other top level sides. Some people choose to read that as inherent criticism of the club and throw out labels like "unambitious" and "Dell-sized mindset". Its thoroughly bizarre.

Agree 100% with this. Dorkish seems to feel the need to comment on absolutely everything whether he likes it or not. You can question things yes, but there is no reason to talk down to people or just argue with people for the sake of it. It's boring, it makes reading the useful posts long winded, and stops others from posting. You don't actually often come up with anything worth reading on this forum.

Agree 100% with this. Dorkish seems to feel the need to comment on absolutely everything whether he likes it or not. You can question things yes, but there is no reason to talk down to people or just argue with people for the sake of it. It's boring, it makes reading the useful posts long winded, and stops others from posting. You don't actually often come up with anything worth reading on this forum.

:lol::lol::lol:

You should listen to your own advice...

It seems to be the standard reaction from some; when you don't tie the line of SFC being absolutely exceptional, just becoming (an impressive) one of a number of other top level sides. Some people choose to read that as inherent criticism of the club and throw out labels like "unambitious" and "Dell-sized mindset". Its thoroughly bizarre.

I don't think that's a fair characterization of the issue.

Supporting a team is meant to be, for the most part, an exercise in positivity. That doesn't mean we need to agree with or admire everything the club does, and it certainly doesn't mean we have an obligation not to criticize. It just means that we're doing this for the upside, or else what's the point?

What I find grating to the point of annoyance is the miserable drumbeat of sneering and baiting that comes from a few posters damn near all the time. It de-rails thread after thread, and when it's aimed at certain individuals - or when the language is needlessly aggressive and obnoxious - it does border on bullying. And the sad thing is that some decent points are lost because those individuals choose to express their views in such unpleasant ways. Now that is "thoroughly bizarre."

You don't have to be a "flower" to be offended by it - it's just offensive in nature.

That's why some good posters don't spend much time on here any more.

Why? What have i said that is bullying and what about the thread on the lounge is sexist?

You really don't think the following post by you is sexist...really?

not that i have to worry about it as im in a long term relationship but there seems to be a real lack of quality about these days. For example i happened to watch "This morning" where a reasonable looking northern bird said she has been single for a year because she cant find Mr right. She then goes onto say that Mr Right, is Mr Grey, fron the book. She continues that she can down a pint of guiness in under a minute and hates men that are obsessed by football. I think i'm starting to understand why she is single.

Back in the real world, my work is packed full of women between 20-40 of varying levels of attractiveness. Most of them seem to full into two categories, rough, gobby, geezer birds or precious, boring, senstive delicate, little flowers who look like they are on the verge of tears every 5 minutes. There are a few girls at work that are quality, good looking, well dressed, a good laugh that dont take themselves too seriously and you can have a laugh with but they are few and far between about one in twenty i'd say.

So come on single chaps, is this the reality or am i being overly harsh?

I don't think that's a fair characterization of the issue.

Supporting a team is meant to be, for the most part, an exercise in positivity. That doesn't mean we need to agree with or admire everything the club does, and it certainly doesn't mean we have an obligation not to criticize. It just means that we're doing this for the upside, or else what's the point?

What I find grating to the point of annoyance is the miserable drumbeat of sneering and baiting that comes from a few posters damn near all the time. It de-rails thread after thread, and when it's aimed at certain individuals - or when the language is needlessly aggressive and obnoxious - it does border on bullying. And the sad thing is that some decent points are lost because those individuals choose to express their views in such unpleasant ways. Now that is "thoroughly bizarre."

You don't have to be a "flower" to be offended by it - it's just offensive in nature.

That's why some good posters don't spend much time on here any more.

Well I can't say I agree with all of that. As I said it was just a technique used by some, not everyone. But its quite prevalent, nonetheless. Some threads I suppose can become a bit predictable; but its not as if they get in the way of anything, there's no proper football on right now! The message board would go into hibernation if we only talked about the games, so this is just one way in which it stays alive. It will become more normal in the next few weeks as we approach kick off.

I'm on who actually takes interest in the threads about the ground expansion, training ground etc. I've posted fairly extensively on them, and I agree there's a certain amount of mickey taking and such like but in general terms I think that's been worthwhile in actually finding out exactly where we are. There are a lot of great things being donw by the club, and a lot of corporate spin that associates itself with that. And its all very well saying "we want Champions League football", another to say how its going to be done. I don't see any criticism, just trying to break down exactly what we're doing, how it compares to other clubs around us, and how it will allow us to achieve the lofty ambitions stated by the club.

There do seem to be some polar opposite views, and a fair bit of middle ground. I just find it strange when some questioning of what we're doing in relation to others suddenly turns into the notion of criticising the club; its weird.

You really don't think the following post by you is sexist...really?

not that i have to worry about it as im in a long term relationship but there seems to be a real lack of quality about these days. For example i happened to watch "This morning" where a reasonable looking northern bird said she has been single for a year because she cant find Mr right. She then goes onto say that Mr Right, is Mr Grey, fron the book. She continues that she can down a pint of guiness in under a minute and hates men that are obsessed by football. I think i'm starting to understand why she is single.

Back in the real world, my work is packed full of women between 20-40 of varying levels of attractiveness. Most of them seem to full into two categories, rough, gobby, geezer birds or precious, boring, senstive delicate, little flowers who look like they are on the verge of tears every 5 minutes. There are a few girls at work that are quality, good looking, well dressed, a good laugh that dont take themselves too seriously and you can have a laugh with but they are few and far between about one in twenty i'd say.

So come on single chaps, is this the reality or am i being overly harsh?

No i dont. Please explain why it is.