Stevenage 1 Saints 4 : Reactions

Thedelldays

Tonight underlined the need to get another LB in - Shaw is no way ready.

It would be incredibly unfair to expect a 17 year old to get thrown straight into a defensive role in the Premier League. He needs to be nurtured over the next 2 or 3 years until he's ready for the first team. I feel we'll also take that approach a lot more with JWP once Cork is back.

Lack of Plan B ... besides surprise .... on the bench. Fair chance Lee won't last 90 mins, let alone any Extra Time if needed!!

They maybe L1 but 4 games so far won 3 drawn 1.

Seem to be intent on ripping us a new one so far, no old heads on bench to calm things down.

there you are Eric ..nothing to worry about. Lee and Billy got their goal(s) Puncheon proving he can score from distance and that Reeves fellow popped up again.

Luke Shaw, Gazza made debuts... and even Chambers and Moore got a kick before the end. Maybe not affect Sunday's selection too much but good to see even the "second string" got an outing.

there you are Eric ..nothing to worry about. Lee and Billy got their goal(s) Puncheon proving he can score from distance and that Reeves fellow popped up again.

Luke Shaw, Gazza made debuts... and even Chambers and Moore got a kick before the end. Maybe not affect Sunday's selection too much but good to see even the "second string" got an outing.

Happy ending in the end, but they missed a few easy chances early on, wonder how we'd have coped had we let one in first.

A plus is that they obvviously took on board whatever NA said at half time!!

It would be incredibly unfair to expect a 17 year old to get thrown straight into a defensive role in the Premier League. He needs to be nurtured over the next 2 or 3 years until he's ready for the first team. I feel we'll also take that approach a lot more with JWP once Cork is back.

Totally. And its not meant as a slight. He's got ample time to develop. More a wake-up call to some of the morons on here who think he's ready to step into Fox's shoes and we don't need to strengthen at LB.

Edited by shurlock
NOT ffs

4-1 Get in there!

Thought I was going to be able to make it, but missed the match thread. Nevermind, one of these days. It was interesting to read through and experience the match in 5 minutes. My match summary would be:

Nice Crests on the thread. Gripe. Seabourne is ****e. Everyone is ****e. Lee is awesome. Everyone is awesome. Eric and Ohio are drunk. Full Time.

Here's a late nun...

Screenshot2011-04-12at11822PM.png

COYRYS!

Happy ending in the end, but they missed a few easy chances early on, wonder how we'd have coped had we let one in first.

A plus is that they obvviously took on board whatever NA said at half time!!

Goddamit - you saying I missed out on the chance of a Happy Ending by watching my all time second bestest favourite movie this evening?

Oh and gang - it's an obvious choice D_P - Golf - it was Happy Gilmour

Totally. And its not meant as a slight. He's got ample time to develop. More a wake-up call to some of the morons on here who think he's ready to step into Fox's shoes and we don't need to strengthen at LB.

Hark at you swinging your crocidile handbag around your fellow posters:) Arrogance does not become you mate..:rolleyes:

And some on here claimed we pulled our of the Buttner deal because everyone at the club suddenly realised Shaw was good.

Just heading back, awful first half, bit better in the 2nd. Not sure why they were complaining about the backpass! Nailed on. Punch's goal was straight out of the Le.Tiss handbook and Reeves' was a bit special too...

And some on here claimed we pulled our of the Buttner deal because everyone at the club suddenly realised Shaw was good.

Thought NA was still looking at Bolisen at Ajax ..amongst others....So us Morons had hoped Shaw would step up ;)..but realised like Shurlock:p

Might be further down the line..

Good goal by Lee - can't wait to get him back in the team (should start on Sunday IMO)

Imagine Lee--Lallana---Ramirez behind JRod or Lambert - a potent strike force.

Really impressed with JWP too - he should start as many games as possible, his pass for Billy's 'offside goal' was brilliant.

I do rate Sharp. Great cross for first, good reactions for second and his first effort looked decidedly onside.

Agreed. He has a lot more in his locker than people give him credit for. Given his form in pre-season and now the cup he has been unlucky not to start more games.

I do rate Sharp. Great cross for first, good reactions for second and his first effort looked decidedly onside.

He was on fire during pre-season. Not every effort is going to be goal of the season material, but I love the way he seems to find them from nowhere.

(tonight's effort not included :D)

Enjoyed that tonight. Stevenage did plenty of pressing first half and must have run themselves out a bit. We dominated the 2nd half, although a 4-1 score line flatters us a bit. Thought Hammond and Puncheon were good for us. Does seriously emphasise the massive gap between League One and the Prem.

Just back :D (live 25 mins away in St Albans)

First half we looked appalling (a real advert for how not to play 4-3-3), Seaborne on the one hand was good at tackling but on the other hand got turned EVERY TIME but the lanky L1 striker! Shameful he's on the bench in the prem. Richardson was the other "cb" but it was more like playing 2 right backs and they should have punished us twice before half time.

Second half Nigel clearly threw a shoe and told everyone to SORT IT OUT. Worked, 4-3-3 when everyone puts the right commitment and follows what they have been told to do.

Our first good play from punch, looked up for the first time all game to get it to sharp who sent it across to Lee. 3 players demonstrating some proper class.

Second was a MASSIVE back pass, the cb looked at him and the keeper still picked it up. Was hilarious!!! Worth the £20 alone :D decent from chaplow and sharp to score it.

3rd was a SCREAMER from punch, volleys it left foot ball spinning the wrong way and is an amazing goal!

Theirs was a mistake from us passing it round the box, couldn't see the culprit but Gazza had no chance.

4th was a decent hit from out side the area, could have done with another for my bets but can't have everything.

Overall best things to take from the game are the kids look pretty good, Shaw was the worst - nervy and not in the best places but had good ideas going forward, JWP looked good - good passes on the ball, Reeves - scored a good goal and Hoskins looks skilful and should have scored. Gazza looks a fine 2nd choice keeper, few good saves, made his presence known and organised a difficult back line. Our 2nd choice players look ok back ups, just not all on at the same time in the prem, that wont be good.

Quote of the day "Oh Guly" ah Shaw went forward and lost it

Motm Lee for putting the effort of someone who wants 1st team.

Enjoyed that tonight. Stevenage did plenty of pressing first half and must have run themselves out a bit. We dominated the 2nd half, although a 4-1 score line flatters us a bit. Thought Hammond and Puncheon were good for us. Does seriously emphasise the massive gap between League One and the Prem.

How was Shaw?

Lots of good tonight, plenty of crap. Highlight for me was the turn by Hoskins towards the end when he made the chance for himself before putting just wide. Looked the look of that kid, if only for a few minutes.

JWP was excellent, most of the rest were decent after a (much deserved) bollocking from Nigel at HT.

Keeper looked OK too. Good touch and distribution and did most simple things well.

Shaw needs more time. Heaven forbid Fox falls over in the shower..