Le Tissier: "Cortese is not a nice human being"

Saint-Armstrong

Some more from MLT on Twitter just now:

abusing the history of the club will probably be more divisive as well as meddling in transfers and team selections

Someone then said to Matt that there wouldn't be a Southampton FC without Cortese, to which he replied:
he trai

Are Cortese taking down the picture of train from doncaster? For shame. :shakey:

Some more from MLT on Twitter just now:

Someone then said to Matt that there wouldn't be a Southampton FC without Cortese, to which he replied:

he trai

Are Cortese taking down the picture of train from doncaster? For shame. :shakey:

LOL check before you post example #1

People on this forum really do not like people saying bad things about our "super" chairman do they?

Le Tissier said a few weeks ago that he would happily meet with Cortese to sort things out but Cortese isn't interested in doing this. I wonder why?

Exactly. It's like they've all been brainwashed. Maybe, just maybe MLT has a point? Maybe He's not a bitter old man like has been claimed an he's had enough of good people at the club being treated like sh*t?

And some of you lot having a go at Matt are a disgrace. He's the greatest player we've ever had and on of our most loyal. Would Man U fan let the Glaziers treat Bobby Charlton like it? Or Liverpool fans let their owners treat Dalglish like it?

Let's not forget the character of MLT, he's a loyal chap and big Saints fan. If he's got a gripe with Nick Nack it's not going to be for no reason.

My god MLT is seriously becoming a bitter old **** isnt he ?
You seen any of his recent media or public appearances? Couldn't see someone less bitter or more chilled out. I can't think of any club.in the world that would treat it's greatest ever player/hero like this. Edited by Sour Mash

What would you lot say if you had heard that a CEO of a business had offered people within the organisation certain privileges such as pay rises or promotions in exchange for being spies? To basically keep an ear to the ground and report back If anyone said anything nasty about him or her. When the information was reported back the people were fired and the spies were f*cked off and the promised reward for grassing up their mates and collegues totally unfulfilled. Is this normal business behaviour or slightly wierd and controlling?

What would you lot say if you had heard that a CEO of a business had offered people within the organisation certain privileges such as pay rises or promotions in exchange for being spies? To basically keep an ear to the ground and report back If anyone said anything nasty about him or her. When the information was reported back the people were fired and the spies were f*cked off and the promised reward for grassing up their mates and collegues totally unfulfilled. Is this normal business behaviour or slightly wierd and controlling?

Is this a definitive fact?

And as St Chalet says below. It is certainly not uncommon, if not officially permitted.

Pretty normal in the real world. May not be as explicit as you describe, but bosses often 'buy' loyalty.

And, of course, your source would be rounded up and sent to the camps if you divulged anything more tangible...

I have always wished that MLT and NC would be friends for the benefit of the club but it will never happen. NC is the Chairman and head of a big business that could probably be bought at a price, so Matt, either put up or shut up, Pinnacle failed, you're not Chairman so please retain some dignity so we can remember you for all the great times. I hope you're not being primed by Sky to be contraversial for their viewing public.

Unfortunately, the reality is that MLT has made this public for his own reasons. Therefore he's made the situation worse than it was.

It's sad that our greatest player cannot be part of this football club as it currently stands, but there comes a time when I think both heads need to be slammed together, unfortunately though MLT is just making it worse, and worse and worse is acting quite immature in all of this.

There are ways to go about it, and ranting on twitter is probably the least professional and mature way of making a point. I doubt their issues will ever be resolved, but for the sake of the club he should really shut up.

Unfortunately, the reality is that MLT has made this public for his own reasons. Therefore he's made the situation worse than it was.

It's sad that our greatest player cannot be part of this football club as it currently stands, but there comes a time when I think both heads need to be slammed together, unfortunately though MLT is just making it worse, and worse and worse is acting quite immature in all of this.

There are ways to go about it, and ranting on twitter is probably the least professional and mature way of making a point. I doubt their issues will ever be resolved, but for the sake of the club he should really shut up.

Who are you to say Matt Le Tissier should 'shut up'? It's his personal twitter account, if he wants to moan about something thats p*****g him off and get it off his chest he's got every right to. He's hardly a 'Joey Barton' is he?

Who are you to say Matt Le Tissier should 'shut up'? It's his personal twitter account, if he wants to moan about something thats p*****g him off and get it off his chest he's got every right to. He's hardly a 'Joey Barton' is he?

S Clarke is right - and the irony of you criticising someone for criticising someone for criticising someone else is a bit rich.

This. He's actually saying some things that should concern us, such as a chairman apparently meddling in team selection. Matt has more than earned the right to express his concerns about a club he loves and showed great loyalty towards. He has also earned the right to be treated respectfully by the club.

But what is he achieving?

At the end of the day, neither are right in all this. I don't want to be called a CoC, or whatever it is, because Cortese isn't perfect and has played a big part in all this debacle. But I just don't feel that ranting to try and turn the fan base against the current chairman is exactly the right thing to do.

Just my opinion.

But it looks like we're heading into the direction of having a Lunatic Fringe, and Lowe Luvies again by the looks of it.

I made the observation awhile ago, that to exclude ex-players, not to allow players back and not to ever refer to recent history was part of NC's strategy to get rid of the mindsets which had pervaded the club and eventually gotten us relegated to L1. It is hurting a few egos, which I can understand, and so is a chairman who has taken the role of the Sporting Director, which never got appointed, and has used his contacts in Italy to bring us a few players. I am not necessarily a fan,but I do appreciate that he doesn't appear in a track suit with a logo on it. He also doesn't appear in the media on too many occasion, and nor does he try to make a career as a suit at the FA.

Did I forget to mention that he has had some considerable success?

The same as many of the fans old players find it difficult to accept the changes. Personally I think I can get used to it.

But MLT has said he'll happily sit down and discuss it all with nick nack, nick nack doesn't seem to want to.

And hilarious that you would accuse MLT of being immature. What about Nick Nack when he refused to sell Illingsworth a season ticket for saying it was wrong to remove the instalment plan with no warning?!

I wonder what the reaction would have been if, when Lowe was in charge, MLT had done an interview with the Echo and expressed his concerns about Rupert meddling with transfers and team selection.

Probably would have just been swept aside, and MLT would have been told to shut up.

I made the observation awhile ago, that to exclude ex-players, not to allow players back and not to ever refer to recent history was part of NC's strategy to get rid of the mindsets which had pervaded the club and eventually gotten us relegated to L1. It is hurting a few egos, which I can understand, and so is a chairman who has taken the role of the Sporting Director, which never got appointed, and has used his contacts in Italy to bring us a few players. I am not necessarily a fan,but I do appreciate that he doesn't appear in a track suit with a logo on it. He also doesn't appear in the media on too many occasion, and nor does he try to make a career as a suit at the FA.

The same as many of the fans old players find it difficult to accept the changes. Personally I think I can get used to it.

I think you've got it spot on there. I've said it for years, but In my opinion as a club we have always lived in the past. ''Let's get Beattie back'' ''Is Oakley still available '' ''What about WGS as manager?". There's no reason to forget the history, absolutely not, but there also comes a time when you live in your history. Cortse wants to make his own history here, which is fair enough.

As you said, you can't argue with his success. He's achieved everything he's set out to do so far, without the time frame he set out.

I also personally don't believe the ex-players were ever banned, they just had their cushy little freebies removed - and this got their goats up, that's probably what kicked this all off at the start. But that goes back to what I was saying before, we can't live in our history.

But what is he achieving?

He does not need to achieve anything, does he? He's just a fan and club legend expressing his thoughts and concerns. Its sad that it has come to this, but why the criticisn of matt?

This thread and wider discussion have, however, been achieved. I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

But MLT has said he'll happily sit down and discuss it all with nick nack, nick nack doesn't seem to want to.

And hilarious that you would accuse MLT of being immature. What about Nick Nack when he refused to sell Illingsworth a season ticket for saying it was wrong to remove the instalment plan with no warning?!

No one is perfect in all of this Turkish, I just don't believe it looks great when you rant on twitter like he has. Just my opinion, I just don't think it's the way for professional people to go about. I'm sure there are other ways he can try and make contact with the club if he wanted to do so.

I wish we could lock them both in a room for a day though, force them to sort it out, out of the public eye.

Agree with this - got no doubt that Cortese has been on a mission to draw a line under our history - in part, it reflects the man's own complexes and insecurities; but in part, it's an understandable desire to stand above vested interests and politicking -and ex-pros have the opportunity and sometimes the motivation to do both. Time will tell whether Cortese's been acting for 'good' or 'bad' reasons.

Agree with this - got no doubt that Cortese has been on a mission to draw a line under our history - in part, it reflects the man's own complexes and insecurities; but in part, it's an understandable desire to stand above vested interests and politicking -and ex-pros have the opportunity and sometimes the motivation to do both. Time will tell whether Cortese's been acting for 'good' or 'bad' reasons.

Imagine if the Glazers had done that when they rocked into Manchester United. If they had distanced themselves from the legend of the Busby Babes; turfed out Booby Charlton et al in a quest to draw a line under their history.

No one is perfect in all of this Turkish, I just don't believe it looks great when you rant on twitter like he has. Just my opinion, I just don't think it's the way for professional people to go about. I'm sure there are other ways he can try and make contact with the club if he wanted to do so.

I wish we could lock them both in a room for a day though, force them to sort it out, out of the public eye.

Im not saying MLT is.its the blanket dismissal of anything anti Chairman as usual. Some fans now even turning our our greatest legend such is their obsession with Nick Nack. I certainly don't take everything he says as gospel, but I think what he says should certainty be given some credence as he's better placed than a lot to know what is going on inside the club. Sadly, some people are just dismissing him as a bitter ex player, which is a disgrace.

Booby Charlton

That certainly lightened the mood!

I see no element of wishing to utterly remove our history, just a revoking of perks which put noses out of joint. I've seen Lawrie McMenemy attend games during the Liebherr era, as well as other players. Our first new kit under the regime was the most respectful and gracious nod to our history we could have wished for.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if, when Lowe was in charge, MLT had done an interview with the Echo and expressed his concerns about Rupert meddling with transfers and team selection.

Probably would have just been swept aside, and MLT would have been told to shut up.

Think you're confusing why some people think this story is garbage...its got f**k all to do with MLT doing an interview or speaking out against NC. Its the fact that the story is unsupported.

And your Rupes example is slightly loaded and disingenuous- has MLT accused NC of meddling with transfers and team selection (and I dont mean a few helmets on here who think NA is under orders to pick Guly? From a purely football perspective, being a c**k and miserable human being is one thing; overruling professional managers and experts is quite another....

That certainly lightened the mood!

I see no element of wishing to utterly remove our history, just a revoking of perks which put noses out of joint. I've seen Lawrie McMenemy attend games during the Liebherr era, as well as other players. Our first new kit under the regime was the most respectful and gracious nod to our history we could have wished for.

Oops...

Anyway, I'm not suggesting that's what they're trying to do. But I do think there is an effort to whitewash certain elements of our recent past, and I think that's unnecessary. Lowe did it before by removing Lawrie's picture from the board room, and that was considered a bit of a scandal at the time. Cortese gets a much easier ride in that respect for his actions.

Think you're confusing why some people think this story is garbage...its got f**k all to do with MLT doing an interview or speaking out against NC. Its the fact that the story is unsupported.

And your Rupes example is slightly loaded and disingenuous- has MLT accused NC of meddling with transfers and team selection (and I dont mean a few helmets on here who think NA is under orders to pick Guly? From a purely football perspective, being a c**k and miserable human being is one thing; overruling professional managers and experts is quite another....

Go and have another look at the twitter quotes on page 6; that was one of MLT's accusations.

Imagine if the Glazers had done that when they rocked into Manchester United. If they had distanced themselves from the legend of the Busby Babes; turfed out Booby Charlton et al in a quest to draw a line under their history.

And that's undeniably a 'bad' reason for drawing a line under a club's history. The situation is slightly different with MLT as things are complicated by the failed pinnacle bid. Of course, Cortese may be overreacting -again time will tell- but prima facie things are less clear-cut than your example.

And that's undeniably a 'bad' reason for drawing a line under a club's history. The situation is slightly different with MLT as things are complicated by the failed pinnacle bid. Of course, Cortese may be overreacting -again time will tell- but prima facie things are less clear-cut than your example.

Because it would be totally out of character for him to over react. Like when he banned Illingsworth for posting an article on a spaz board he didn't like. Like when he banned the echo for publishing an article, which was actually positive, a day early, when it was already in the public domain. Like when he sacked Adkins last summer And Reid had to tell him to stop being a lemon. Yep, given the history if there is one thing we can be sure Cortese won't do it's over react.

True, but that doesn't explain the disenfranchisation of the likes of Jimmy Case, Mark Dennis, Lawrie etc. They previously had roles within the club that were abrubtly ended in the whole new broom philosophy.

Because it would be totally out of character for him to over react. Like when he banned Illingsworth for posting an article on a spaz board he didn't like. Like when he banned the echo for publishing an article, which was actually positive, a day early, when it was already in the public domain. Like when he sacked Adkins last summer And Reid had to tell him to stop being a lemon. Yep, given the history if there is one thing we can be sure Cortese won't do it's over react.

Come again.....

There is a saying. There is no future in history but there is no future with out history. I wish Cortese would remember that for good or bad the club did exist before he rocked up.

There is a saying. There is no future in history but there is no future with out history. I wish Cortese would remember that for good or bad the club did exist before he rocked up.

And another.

“It's always good to remember where you come from and celebrate it. To remember where you come from is part of where you're going.” - Anthony Burgess