SAINTS 3 City 1 Reactions & MOTM

Saint-Armstrong

Man of the Match  

617 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match

collymore on talksport saying Lambert and Cork are fully deserving of England call ups....

says he has been watching us for a while and has been very impressed...said he was not so mental when adkins left and can see why we got MP whilst we could.

says we will stay up and can see a very bright future with our young players and the known ambition of the chairman

We already had the passing game but MP has also brought in a real pressing game which is squeezing the life out of the oppo when they have the ball and boy is it working.

Requires a high level of fitness but if you can manage the physical demands a lot of prem teams don't have the close up ball skills to manage.

When we have the ball we pass them to death and then when we lose it we squeeze them to death.

So far it's strangled Man Unt, Wigan and Man City.

I loved Nige but so far MP really has bought a whole new dimension to our play.

Keep it up and we will be OK this season.

Absolutely superb result. Couldn't bear to post during the match as I was afraid I'd jinx it. Remnants of a Dell-sized mentality, I suppose. That was a St Mary's style result :)

I'm off to get beers. Much sh!t will be chatted later. Awesome.

That was su fecking purb and the tipping point where the quality performances are finally rewarded with the 3 points they deserve. Cork and Schneiderlin are an IMMENSE engine room. They just totally took the **** out of the current champion's midfield and did the same 2 weeks ago to this years champions. A couple of quality acquisitions in the summer and we are going to absolutely FLY next season. COYFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As fantastic a performance as that was, and it really was brilliant, that was really no different to how we've played in every other match under Pochettino so far. We press forward, don't let the opposition settle, when we win it we show great composure with the ball, especially Cork, Schneiderlin and Lambert and above all we play progressive postive football. This result was coming and mark my words they'll be more like it between now and May.

Relegation? Not a chance. Outstanding.

Apparently Gaston was behind another goal today.....that´s two games in a row now!

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Match-reports/2013/February/southampton-v-city-feb-9-Premier-League

Puncheon added to his growing portfolio of goals in important games after he reacted first to the loose ball after Joe Hart had deflected a Gaston Ramirez shot away from goal to guide it into the empty net.

Great performance, the last 10 minutes were just inspirational. We kept passing the ball and we frustrated the hell out of City.

My MOTM goes to Hooiveld, I thought he was brilliant today. He was in the way of shots and apart from the goal which he cannot be faulted for he kept Aguero and Dzeko quiet together with Yosh. Plus he had several brilliant balls over the top that could easily have been converted to goals.Impressive performance from him, I didn't think he could do it in the PL but he proved me wrong (something he has been doing his whole career).

What an incredible start to the Chinese New Year of the Snake!!!!!!!!! HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE WHO BLEEDS "RED AND WHITE" This win has to be one of the best performances by a |Saints side in many a year. Who'd have believed these players had it in the a couple of months back. No Ramirez, no Shaw or Fonté but a force, energy that has one of the best performing sides in the Premiership. Senor Pochettino. I salute you and your back up team for what you have achieved in the past 3 weeks. The mind boggles what you will achieve in the future "_

What a win!! The whole team gets MOTM from me. Special mention to Cork, Puncheon, Morgan, Yoshida en Lambert, is it possible to get Lambert of the ball when he has it at his feet? Cant wait to see what Hansen and Lineker have to say about the game.

Richardson looks enormous on tv, his back looks the size of that of Arnold Schwarzenegger in his time.

Pompey lose in their second rate derby, heading to league 2 if they survive.

Harry Redknapp is seeing his reputation (which never stood up to any form of scrutiny) fall to pieces, as he takes a portsmouth-like side embodying the worst aspects of the game to the championship.

Saints can look up the table, after beating the champions of england 3-1.

I've stolen Neil Allen's parargraph structure.

Who the F**k is laughing now!? :D

What a great game! Can't think of a bad performance by any of our players: they were all very good to excellent, even guys like Fox & Hooiveld who looked so out of their depth at the start of the season. MoM for me was Lambert: he is so crucial to the whole way we play, and put in an immense performance today. Pity he didn't get on the score sheet. If he were five years younger than he is, he'd be in the England squad for sure, I reckon. At 30, it may just be too late for him, because Hodgson is clearly (& rightly) building with two years from now in mind.

Cork could be MoM too: a wonderful job from him in central mid, just controlling the game, along with Schneiderlin, who also deserves mention. Rodriguez and Puncheon looking terrific. The future just looks so bright! Nice little cameo from J-W-P at the end too: looked assured and capable. Lallana excellent in his 20 minutes. All around, just a wonderful performance.

Like most people, I was shocked when Adkins was fired, and felt it was unfair on him, and a risky move. Unlike many, though, I was willing to give Cortese the benefit of the doubt, because all his decisions have worked out well so far. Well, it's still early days, but I must say that so far Pochetino has raised the team's play another notch, with exactly the same players; and so far it's looking as if Cortese knew what he was doing all right! We can only be sure at season's end, but I'm so optimistic after that performance, Great days to be a Saints fan!

Head not so much held high as in the f**king clouds! Been hoping to beat one of he so called big boys on our return an we take out the multi billionaire champs. And by outplaying them too. Now I feel we're properly back in the Prem!! Poch has made a difference I honestly never saw happening when we lost Adkins. Fantastic. Words are not enough. Beer might be.