SAINTS 3 City 1 Reactions & MOTM

Saint-Armstrong

Man of the Match  

617 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match

What an incredible start to the Chinese New Year of the Snake!!!!!!!!! HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE WHO BLEEDS "RED AND WHITE" This win has to be one of the best performances by a |Saints side in many a year. Who'd have believed these players had it in the a couple of months back. No Ramirez, no Shaw or Fonté but a force, energy that has one of the best performing sides in the Premiership. Senor Pochettino. I salute you and your back up team for what you have achieved in the past 3 weeks. The mind boggles what you will achieve in the future "_

Gong Xi Fa Cai and Gong Hey Fat Choy to you Art and all on here.

What can I say. I am breathless. Watched at home on the.....erm....telly, (yes that will do) and I was forced into the spare room with my headphones on and door closed as I was too noisey.

Great Poachers goals from both Punch and Stevie reacting to the rebounds. Great play in the middle of the field and at the back.

What Potsey,(my daughters nickname) has brought to us is like the second half of our game, a strength in defence and being hungry for the ball when we aren't on it.

Great Great result, and hopefully we have the cherry on top of our cake.

And where's our England call ups?

Big mention for Davis too, he was SO much better in that role than Ramirez, closing down, finding space and being in the right place to score

Cant see how MP can change that 3 now given how well JRod, Davis and Punch played plus Adam looked great when he came on. Ramirez suddenly looks a spare wheel

That was incredible, absolutely incredible. There were some times when I had kittens, but Man City are a quality side with some quality players, so to prevent them playing like we did was impressive. I want to talk about the back 4 as defensively there was some extremely good tackling all round. Richardson with some crucial tackles when he came on, Yoshi outstanding again, Jos solid, composed and large and I thought Fox had a great game too. He seemed to be playing different, so he may well learn from Pochettino, who knows, but he did well tonight.

Couldn't really fault anyone in the whole team today - they look like they are playing for each other and for the manager according to his wishes. Very very impressive stuff.

Steve Davis on talksport

Manager wants us to press and work harder than ever...its very hard work

we knew we can win...so happy for the club

want to secure prem status as soon as possible so can push on

new manager made a huge impact already

lambert is vital to how we play, should be in england squad

had a recent tough run of fixtures

will be working hard to get maximum points in the next 3 games with teams around us

That was incredible, absolutely incredible. There were some times when I had kittens, but Man City are a quality side with some quality players, so to prevent them playing like we did was impressive. I want to talk about the back 4 as defensively there was some extremely good tackling all round. Richardson with some crucial tackles when he came on, Yoshi outstanding again, Jos solid, composed and large and I thought Fox had a great game too. He seemed to be playing different, so he may well learn from Pochettino, who knows, but he did well tonight.

Couldn't really fault anyone in the whole team today - they look like they are playing for each other and for the manager according to his wishes. Very very impressive stuff.

Yes it's interesting how players like Hooiveld, who are limited, are playing with a lot more confidence, not sure if that's coaching,,experience of playing in the league, better players around them (Yoshida) or a combination of all 3 but the defensive confidence transmits to the rest of the team as well, allowing them to play better as a result

We already had the passing game but MP has also brought in a real pressing game which is squeezing the life out of the oppo when they have the ball and boy is it working.

Requires a high level of fitness but if you can manage the physical demands a lot of prem teams don't have the close up ball skills to manage.

When we have the ball we pass them to death and then when we lose it we squeeze them to death.

So far it's strangled Man Unt, Wigan and Man City.

I loved Nige but so far MP really has bought a whole new dimension to our play.

Keep it up and we will be OK this season.

Well analysed....the way we short passed/one touched at close range today was beautiful to watch.

This was the win we really needed. Not just 3 points but a massive confidence boost.

We have comprehensively beaten the champions. Up to now we have done well against bottom half teams and poorly against top half teams. We have now well and truly broken that hoodoo.

We also held on to a lead. I really hope this is a turning point.

This has been coming. We've been due a ''big'' result over one of the big sides in this league, and for all our close shaves against United, Arsenal and City on the opening day - this win was long overdue, but bloody well deserved.

From the opening minute we did not allow City to get into any sort of rhythm. We pressed, pressed and pressed - not just individually, but in groups over key area's of the pitch. This made City rush into their passes and as a result we managed to intercept quite a few and break on them on the back of that.

The 3 goals we scored were down to awful defending from them, but if you look again the mistakes were down to us and our harrying and pressing. We made City sweat all afternoon to the point where they wanted to rush the pass all the time.

MP has carried on the ground work Adkins put in, but has put his little twist on things - which is working. I alluded to it earlier - we hunt in packs in key area's of the pitch. We don't run around like headless chickens trying to win the ball back, we tactically hunt in certain area's of the pitch with other players cleverly positioned on the outside of that area so we can spring when we win the ball. It's exactly what he implemented at Espanyol, sides didn't have an easy game against his team - and they won't do here either.

It strikes me that the players he has available are absolutely perfect for what he wants to do. Davis, Cork and Morgan are the players you'd want in a role like that - all 3 are so interchangeable and when you have them moving around as we have, then the oppositions midfield just won't be able to get a grip onto the match.

I thought City were dreadful, but alot of that was down to our hard work and quality on the ball. We didn't rush the pass like they did, we found the time and the space whereas we didn't allow them such luxuries.

To be honest, this is a result I didn't expect. I thought we'd blown our chance to go 6 clear last weekend, but I was wrong! It was a terrific result which is made even better with the results in and around us. Let's push on from here.

Boruc - 7 - Didn't have a great deal to do, but feel confident with him in there. Made a decent save from Auguro in the 2nd half.

Clyne - 8 - Excellent I felt. Defended well, got forward well and used his pace to great effect.

Jos - 9 - Best game of the season. He dominated Edin Dzeko all evening. Some of his positioning and headers were class.

Maya - 9 - Equally as good. The more composed of the 2, but his reading of the game is brilliant.

Fox - 7 - Had a solid game, wasn't attacked as much as he could have been but used the ball well when he had it.

Punch - 7 - Nice goal and lots of endevour in the first half, lacked the final pass at times and seemed to tire in the 2nd.

Morgan - 10 - MOTM by a mile. Best midfielder in the premiership at this moment in time, he was all over Toure.

Cork - 10 - Equally 10. Can we have a dual MOTM award? Hard to pick between these 2. They both bossed the show.

Davis - 8 - Full of energy and his final pass at the ''tip'' of the midfield was often very, very good. Gets into good positions in and around the box as well, and was in hand to mop up for the 2nd goal.

Lambert - 8 - Great hold up play as usual, and he was involved in all the goals. As soon as he gets into the box you know he will make something happen, he's got such a cool head in there and can pick out a pass no matter what.

Jay - 8 - Ran his heart out all game, is growing and growing into a real player. Full of pace and worries the CB's all game.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/261816/report

jr says

February 9, 2013 8:06pm

WoW, what a game. Southampton played like Barcelona at times in the way they press the ball. Im so impressed with what the new manager has done to them. I'm a United fan but i'll be a Southampton fan tonight. They didn't disappoint me. They out played the CHUMPIONS. Made them look so tired in the end Southampton were passing triangles around them. CONGRATS to all the Southampton Fans out there you should feel proud. Truly Unbelievable. 12 points tomorrow GGMU