SAINTS 3 City 1 Reactions & MOTM

Saint-Armstrong

Man of the Match  

617 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match

So many excellent performances from all our players, it almost seems churlish to pick out any one of them. Having said that I thought Rickie Lambert was utterly superb today. Even though he didn't get his name on the score sheet on this occasion, we may just have witnessed his best ever game here methinks.

A true 9/10 performance.

I was right by the peno decision and I must admit that I didn't think it was. Thought it would have been a harsh one to give.

However, so many people on here are adamant that it was one, I must have been wrong. I'll watch on MoTD and see.

All the pundits on ESPN were convinced it was a penalty

Well me and a mate had Steven Davis down as motm! He did everything that the new guy was expecting and more from this high pressing game, deserved several goals and a starting position for a while from that performance!

Cork and morg as well as maya an jos were all excellent but Steven Davis was that player they had no answer for today, too much energy and enthusiasm for city's liking.

So pleased with the result as well, by far the better side over 90 mins, no idea why it was 5 of extra time but we won! :D

Agreed, Davis has made a big difference since he's played that role as his work rate is outstanding

Really hard to choose the MotM tonight as there were so many good performances !

I went for Jos, not because of his finesse or footballing ability but (for someone who has been much maligned of late) because he typified the spirit and resolve that is needed to take on the 'big boys' !

A mention also to Foxy as he came in and did the business when it mattered !!

Cork and Morgan really are the ones that make us a match for any team on our day. When was the last time we had a midfield pairing that was the equal to any of the big teams? Surely we'd have to go all the way back to Ball and Williams. I think this pairing will be a benchmark for our team for years to come.

I was also wondering when we last had a right side pairing to match Clyne and Puncheon. Can anybody help me out with our last great attacking pair down the right? I'd take them over Telfer/Dodd and Fernandes any day.

Tbf Bridgey and 'Chrissy Marsden football genius' took some beating!

Just seen this on one of their forums

After the collective feeling of "well the seasons over" after Barrys cock up everyone got off their arses and sang "we never win at home" continuously for probably 20 minutes straight. It was absolutely ace and I can't remember any of the last 30 minutes of the game due to singing my throat sore for ages. Albeit it probably wasn't much to watch but that's besides the point, if we had scored another though i reckon the fans would have gone ballistic.

Once again, ****ing fantastic blues, a well welcome return to the defeatism mixed with pride from yesteryear, completely out singing the Southampton fans.

absolutely clueless. They were decent enough but were easily drowned out by an electric atmosphere from home fans

What a great evening! Lost my voice- great atmosphere in the Northam tonight. Just got back home to West Sussex in time to watch MOTD! Davis, MS, Cork and Lambert were immense. Really chuffed for Fox, Hoover and FR who despite being written off by many have proved today that they still have something to offer at this level! Up the Saints!

iNc3fEN8JFBce.gif

Immense performance today! Those we usually rely on did not disappoint, but some of those that have been less confident in the Premiership also did well today - Hooiveld, Richardson, Davis and to some extent Fox (I know he's being criticised - and rightfully so - but he is still part of the team that won today)...

Regardless of any perceived anti-Saints bias, that is just a crap piece of writing. There is so much wrong with it, it is difficult to know where to begin.

I particularly liked this - "The highlights reel will blush."

No it won't. It can't. Does he actually sit back and give any thought to what he has actually said?

Hands up who predicted 3-1 to Saints?

P.s. why the **** didn't I put my money where my mouth is???? FFS

I did - I was the first one on the prediction league to do so. ... but my performance in the Prediction League is not one to writehome about.

Brilliant performance tonight - simply brilliant.

Bluemoon website. Some very nice comments along with some comments you'd expect from Man Utd fans.

"There is a real potential for match fixing today"

Another team to add to the list of "that's the worst we've played since (insert team here)"

Maybe next season some fans will just say.,..to be fair southampton are really quite a good side!

Well look at the player ratings on the same website......they really know their stuff, do they....

http://www.goal.com/en/match/81094/southampton-vs-manchester-city-fc/player-ratings

From my position in block 37...I thought Punch was smacking his bottom and telling a few posters from this forum....

KISS MY ARRRRSSSSE:rolleyes:

(probably at Bournemouth to be fair..watching their beloved

Pompey)

But my daughter explained that wiping his bottom was reference to Punch and his TROTS the other day..:blush:

Then there was a rendition from the fans that Punch can shiiite anywhere:D

Great game from all the lads. Mancini did us a real favour by putting Touré in, african football has no rhythm and he transmitted his lack of it to all his teammates. Mind you we didn't give him any time either.
Nah, we closed him down and made him look mediocre. Nothing else. Credit to saints.

This is not a snarky post, not at all. I thought this game was immense. Just curious to know your age, given that statement, for perspective.

I may have got a little carried away heh.

I'm 27, but this is the first Premier League season ticket I've had, and Man City are certainly the biggest scalp I've seen us take when I've been at the game.

I've seen the JPT, the promotion deciders, and the last day escape since we were relegated from the Prem, and all of those were perhaps better atmosphere, more riding on them, but seeing us deservedly beat Man City, the current champions, is the first time I've been there to see us take a huge scalp with my own eyes.

I'm basically with Dalek here.

I was pretty close in thinking we'd end up 17th last season.

I then, quite fairly, expected us to lose 3-0 to Wigan.

I then expected us to do well if we kept our defeat today to less than 4 goals.

I guess I need to confess that we have rather exceeded my expectations.

But when we lose 37-0 away to Newcastle United, then it will all start crashing down around our ears. :-)