Billy Sharp - is he eligible to play for us now

The Fat Controller

No, he isn't registered in our 25 man squad of over 21 year olds.

How do you know? He could have been added. Steve de Ridder was registered as he was on the bench last week. Just not sure of the number we had registered back in February, if it was 22 or 23 then there is no reason Sharp cannot be added. Whether he is good enough is immaterial.

How do you know? He could have been added. Steve de Ridder was registered as he was on the bench last week. Just not sure of the number we had registered back in February, if it was 22 or 23 then there is no reason Sharp cannot be added. Whether he is good enough is immaterial.

De Ridder has been in the 25 man squad all season. Our original 23, submitted on 1st September was:

Butterfield (hg), Chaplow (hg), Cork (hg), K Davis (hg), S Davis (hg), De Ridder, Dickson (hg), Guly, Fonte, Forte (hg), Fox (hg), Hooiveld, Lallana (hg), Lambert (hg), Lee, Mayuka, Puncheon (hg), Ramírez, Richardson (hg), Rodriguez (hg), Schneiderlin (hg), Seaborne (hg), Yoshida.

We then added Boruc as a free agent, and Forren was added in January. That's 25. And the only players you can add outside the window are free agents; Sharp is already registered with us (albeit out on loan) so we couldn't just re-instate him, even if we had a free space.

Edited by The Kraken

He IS good enough to kick the ball 6 yards. And we need a fox in the box to get a goal. We are too cultured at times, would like to see us get it into the box and scrap a goal. Could be the difference between winning and drawing!

Ahhh, been wondering who the loon was near me that keeps screaming: "GET. IT. FOOOORWARD" all the time.

Cheers, oh, btw, I would genuinely rather go down playing our cultured game than stay up playing anti football like Stoke and West Ham.

De Ridder has been in the 25 man squad all season. Our original 23, submitted on 1st September was:

Butterfield (hg), Chaplow (hg), Cork (hg), K Davis (hg), S Davis (hg), De Ridder, Dickson (hg), Guly, Fonte, Forte (hg), Fox (hg), Hooiveld, Lallana (hg), Lambert (hg), Lee, Mayuka, Puncheon (hg), Ramírez, Richardson (hg), Rodriguez (hg), Schneiderlin (hg), Seaborne (hg), Yoshida.

We then added Boruc as a free agent, and Forren was added in January. That's 25. And the only players you can add outside the window are free agents; Sharp is already registered with us (albeit out on loan) so we couldn't just re-instate him, even if we had a free space.

The squad is re-submitted at the end of the January transfer window, what was submitted in September is irrelevant. Sorry to have to correct you there. If and no-one is sure we had 25 over 21s registered end January then Sharp cannot be added obviously, but I don't believe we did. De Ridder was not registered because he was on loan at end January, and was added so that he was eligible for last week. Lee is no longer registered because he went on loan before the squad list was submitted so I think we still have one or two open places. The only reason I can see that MP might register Sharpe is because if Mayuka is not really focused because of his family situation we only have 2 strikers. Fact is I don't know whether there is a possibility of registering Sharpe, clearly you don't either becuase you don't understand the rules and it seems like MLG doesn't either. Wish there was somewhere you could look this up.

The squad is re-submitted at the end of the January transfer window, what was submitted in September is irrelevant. Sorry to have to correct you there. If and no-one is sure we had 25 over 21s registered end January then Sharp cannot be added obviously, but I don't believe we did. De Ridder was not registered because he was on loan at end January, and was added so that he was eligible for last week. Lee is no longer registered because he went on loan before the squad list was submitted so I think we still have one or two open places. The only reason I can see that MP might register Sharpe is because if Mayuka is not really focused because of his family situation we only have 2 strikers. Fact is I don't know whether there is a possibility of registering Sharpe, clearly you don't either becuase you don't understand the rules and it seems like MLG doesn't either. Wish there was somewhere you could look this up.

No need to get so angry and uppity, fella. If you find the rules then post them up.

And yes, I know it gets re-submitted at the end of January. Which is why Forren was allowed to sign, as I pointed out.

See post #12

I think the point is, MLG: if there are spaces in the squad (as there seem to be) can Sharpe be added. Precedent with de Ridder going out on loan them coming back in might say yes (but then de Ridder was originally registered with us, so its muddy). Sharpe has never been registered this season, but if we have less than 25 in the squad, what's to stop him coming in?

No need to get so angry and uppity, fella. If you find the rules then post them up. And yes, I know it gets re-submitted at the end of January. Which is why Forren was allowed to sign, as I pointed out.
No anger there mate. Just that none of us can be sure, because the rules are so unclear, and there is nowhere that you can look it up. I mentioned that you didn't understand because you referred to September. The September list is completely irrelevant, the list is reset completely at the end of January. There are bits I don't understand as well. I am probably wrong about Lee by the way, because I can't remember when he went on loan, got the feeling it was early February so he is probably still registered (but unavailable).Can't actually think of much reason why MP would play Sharpe even if available, he has not even been a regular started recently for Forest in the Championship. Still like the guy and wish he had been given a bit more chance in the PL, but he certainly does not seem to be performing at the level he was before he joined us.

No anger there mate. Just that none of us can be sure, because the rules are so unclear, and there is nowhere that you can look it up. I mentioned that you didn't understand because you referred to September. The September list is completely irrelevant, the list is reset completely at the end of January. There are bits I don't understand as well. I am probably wrong about Lee by the way, because I can't remember when he went on loan, got the feeling it was early February so he is probably still registered (but unavailable).Can't actually think of much reason why MP would play Sharpe even if available, he has not even been a regular started recently for Forest in the Championship. Still like the guy and wish he had been given a bit more chance in the PL, but he certainly does not seem to be performing at the level he was before he joined us.

MLG's original link is bogus; it only lists 19 players in our squad. But if you hit the other links it has other players who aren't in that list (Butterfield, Chaplow etc) who are still listed as "SQUAD". Forte seems to have gone from it, though, which suggest we don't have a full 25. I listed the original September 25 as that's the only official list I could find; and presumably wouldn't change an almighty amount in January except for arrivals and departures.

I think its a moot point anyway; first of all that MP wouldn't just throw him in for the final game (he's clearly not featuring today) but also because of Sharpe's comments at teh start of the season about not coming back etc.

It would be handy if there was an up to date full list of the 25 players, but I feel it makes little difference, even if Sharp was available I'd be stunned to see him back and on the bench.

Edited by The Kraken

He IS good enough to kick the ball 6 yards. And we need a fox in the box to get a goal. We are too cultured at times, would like to see us get it into the box and scrap a goal. Could be the difference between winning and drawing!

The problem with that is what happens in the other 85 minutes as he wanders around looking for something to do. Lambert is always trying to find positions from which threats can be launched whilst Rodrigues will go after the ball and try to do something with it. Billy Sharp is great running in the channels and foxing the box but it means other people have to do extra work to set him up. This is one luxury our style of play doesn't suit or warrant. PL defences surely won't find it too difficult to read his game and stop him easily.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/story-18980162-detail/story.html#axzz2TFynT6pH

Seems that Billy is back with Saints and would be eligible to train and play. Notts Forest have removed him from the pay roll but hope to come back to buy or loan again next season. I am pleased that Pochettino will at least get a chance to see him first hand and decide whether using him is worth a gamble. After all he was top scorer in pre season and goals are what we need. Playing again with quality players may see Billy up his game. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/story-18980162-detail/story.html#axzz2TFynT6pH

Seems that Billy is back with Saints and would be eligible to train and play. Notts Forest have removed him from the pay roll but hope to come back to buy or loan again next season. I am pleased that Pochettino will at least get a chance to see him first hand and decide whether using him is worth a gamble. After all he was top scorer in pre season and goals are what we need. Playing again with quality players may see Billy up his game. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Not in our 25 man squad so can't play

Not in our 25 man squad so can't play

We only have one game I know but there will be pre season, possible tour games, training sessions where, maybe, I repeat maybe, Billy may impress Pochettino, or respond to Pochettino's style.

Today's SUN

" NIGEL ADKINS wants Billy Sharp to lead Reading’s bid for a Prem return.

The striker, 27, has no future at Southampton. Nottingham Forest, where he has been on loan, are also keen.

Massive trolling post or genuinely stupid ?

MLG's original link is bogus; it only lists 19 players in our squad. But if you hit the other links it has other players who aren't in that list (Butterfield, Chaplow etc) who are still listed as "SQUAD". Forte seems to have gone from it, though, which suggest we don't have a full 25. I listed the original September 25 as that's the only official list I could find; and presumably wouldn't change an almighty amount in January except for arrivals and departures.

I think its a moot point anyway; first of all that MP wouldn't just throw him in for the final game (he's clearly not featuring today) but also because of Sharpe's comments at teh start of the season about not coming back etc.

It would be handy if there was an up to date full list of the 25 players, but I feel it makes little difference, even if Sharp was available I'd be stunned to see him back and on the bench.

Seriously, are you all just winding him up ? January squad list : http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/squad-lists/squad-lists-February-2013.pdf

1 Butterfield, Daniel Paul Yes

2 Chaplow, Richard David Yes

3 Cork, Jack Frank Porteous Yes

4 Davis, Kelvin Geoffery Yes

5 Davis, Steven Yes

6 De Ridder, Steve Danny Marc No

7 Forren, Vegard No

8 Do Prado Raymundo, Guilherme No

9 Fonte, Jose Miguel No

10 Fox, Daniel Yes

11 Hooiveld, Jos No

12 Lallana, Adam David Yes

13 Lambert, Rickie Lee Yes

14 Lee, Tadanari No

15 Mayuka, Emmanuel No

16 Puncheon, Jason David Ian Yes

17 Ramirez Pereyra, Gaston Exequiel No

18 Richardson, Frazer Yes

19 Rodriguez, Jay Enriqus Yes

20 Schneiderlin, Morgan Yes

21 Yoshida, Maya No

22 Boruc, Artur No

23 Martin, Aaron Yes

Southampton - Under 21 players (Contract and Scholars)

Ariyibi, Omogbolahan Gregory

Branker, Jamal Arron Christopher

Britt, William David

Chambers, Calum

Clyne, Nathaniel Edwin

Colmer, Fraser William

Cropper, Cody Joseph

Curtis, Joe Edward

Flannigan, Jake

Gallagher, Samuel James

Gape, Dominic Edward

Gazzaniga, Paulo Dino

Hesketh, Jake Alexander

Higgins, Charlie

Hoskins, Samuel Tobias

Isgrove, Lloyd Jeffrey

Johns, Christopher Patrick Adam

Leggett, Thomas Jacob

McCarthy, Jason Sean

McQueen, Samuel James

Moore, Corby James

Mugabi, Bevis Kristofer Kizito

Nehemie, Isaac

Reed, Harrison James

Reeves, Benjamin Neil

Robinson, Andreas Sonny

Rowe, Omar Reiss

Seager, Ryan Paul

Seidi, Alberto Adulai

Shaw, Luke Paul Hoare

Sinclair, Jake Tony

Stephens, Jack

Targett, Matthew Robert

Turnbull, Jordan Robert

Ward-Prowse, James Michael Edward

White, James Steven St John

Young, Matthew Robert

Prem handbook Section U :

A Player shall not play for a Club in a League Match unless that Club holds his

registration with effect from at least one hour before kick-off and for League

Matches to be played between the close of the First Transfer Window and the

end of the Season either:

U.1.1. his name is included on the Squad List; or

U.1.2. he is an Under 21 Player.

L.1

U.2. A Club shall be deemed to hold the registration of a Player upon receipt of

the Secretary’s certificate in writing to that effect.

L.2

U.3. A Club shall apply to:

U.3.1. include a Player on its Squad List by submitting to the Secretary the

requisite Form;

U.3.2. remove a Player from its Squad List by submitting to the Secretary the

requisite Form.

L.3

U.4. A Player shall be deemed to have been included or removed from a Club’s

Squad List on receipt of the Secretary’s written confirmation.

L.4

U.5. Changes to a Squad List may be made:

U.5.1. during the period of a Transfer Window; or

U.5.2. at other times only with the permission of the Board.L.5

U.6. Each application to register a Player shall be subject to the approval of the Board

Massive trolling post or genuinely stupid ?

Bit unneccessary isn't it? I really don't know if you are trolling ot just genuinely stupid but maybe I can guess now based on your post.

Section U.5.2 covers the possibility of adding Sharpe or anyone else. It won't happen but the possibility exists.

Also :

Except as provided in Rules U.31 and U.32, after the second Transfer Window in

each year and on or before the third Saturday in May next following each Club

shall confirm to the Secretary:

U.30.1. whether the list of players provided to it for these purposes via the

Extranet is accurate in all material particulars;

U.30.2. in the case of each Contract Player whose registration it holds and whose

contract expires on the 30th June in that year, whether or not the Club has:

U.30.2.1. offered him a new contract under the provisions of Rule V.17.2; or

U.30.2.2. implemented any option provision in respect of him; and

U.30.3. in the case of each Academy Player whose registration it holds and with

whom it has entered into a Scholarship Agreement, whether or not the

Club has:

U.30.3.1. (if the Academy Player is in the second year of his Scholarship

Agreement) given him written notice, pursuant to clause 4.2 of

the Scholarship Agreement, of the extension of the duration

thereof by one year; and

U.30.3.2. (if the Academy Player is in the second or third year of his

Scholarship Agreement) given him written notice, pursuant to

clause 6.7 of the Scholarship Agreement, of its intention to offer

him a professional contract as a Contract Player.

L.30

U.31. The date by which each Club is required by Rule U.30 to give confirmation to the

Secretary shall be extended in the case of a Club which on the third Saturday in

May in any year is still participating in the F.A. Cup, [the UEFA Champions League

or the UEFA Europe League] or has yet to play a League Match the outcome of

which could affect:

U.31.1. identification of the League Champions in accordance with Rule C.8; or

U.31.2. identification of the Clubs to be relegated in accordance with Rule C.11; or

U.31.3. qualification for a UEFA competition.

L.31

U.32. In the circumstances mentioned in Rule U.31, the Club shall give the Secretary the

information required by Rule U.30 within 4 days of the last relevant F.A. Cup

match, [uEFA Champions League or UEFA Europe League] or League Match having

been played

Bit unneccessary isn't it? I really don't know if you are trolling ot just genuinely stupid but maybe I can guess now based on your post.

Section U.5.2 covers the possibility of adding Sharpe or anyone else. It won't happen but the possibility exists.

I was referring to the bit where you said MLG's original link was bogus as it only listed 19 players. We didn't fill our allocation in the summer transfer window and there's no need to list 25, most teams don't due to the U-21 supplementary list.

As for me trolling, well the fact that it took me all of about 30 seconds to find the answers to the stuff you lot are blathering on about, suggests not.

We can add Sharp if we want to, with the permission of the Board. However, the grey area is there's a rule that you MUST name all professionals to make up your squad to 25 if they are available (can't find it but definitely read it last summer at some point - though there is the possibility it's been removed), and we've left Sharp, Forte, Barnard and Dickson off it, so there's no guarantee we'd be allowed to add any of them.

The De Ridder example was irrelevant, he was already named in the squad, nothing else needs to be considered there.

Actually, there's a bit about "loans" aka "temporary transfers" in V.4 which says :

subject to any conditions imposed by the Board in the exercise of its discretion

under Rule V.4.2, the minimum period of a Temporary Transfer shall be the

period between 2 consecutive Transfer Windows and the period of a Temporary

Transfer shall not extend beyond 30th June next after it was entered into

But there must also be regulations somewhere about one month loans as opposed to half/full-season ones. That however, suggests that as Sharp was a season-long loan he's not eligible to play until the next Transfer Window opens.

Here's the Handbook, anyway. http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/handbooks/premier-league-handbook-2012-2013.pdf

Main transfer target for Derby this summer. He can do better than them surely? (No disrespect intended)

dcfcoffcial: Nigel Clough has made Southampton striker, Billy Sharp, his top transfer target this summer. More on http://t.co/q9z5ekQFL6 #dcfc #saintsfc

Good move for him, don't think he could do too much better to be fair, big club with potential, good manager too.

We certainly can't register Sharpe - he is a fictional character played by Sean Bean (coincidentally who sort of played for Sheffield United (in a film!) not unlike Billy Sharp who is a footballer who has struggled to play in the Championship this season and is therefore of little interest to Saints who play in the Premier League - a different kettle of fish altogether.) Which reminds me didn't Billy the Fish also play for Sheffield United. Now he might do a job for us.