Billy Sharp failed medical

Right sider

Have read reports that Adkins is looking to take Billy to Reading, but he failed medical. Another rumour was that NA is intrrested in Fonte too.

Link to all of these reports?

A thread on hobnobanyone

So this...

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=119313

Which is based on these tweets...

The Football Family ‏@TFootballFamily 10h

Official Reading news: One player failed a medical with us on Friday. Drenthe scheduled for a medical today. 100% true. #readingfc

The Football Family ‏@TFootballFamily 9h

Final update: Player who failed a medical was from Southampton. I don't know anything else. I have told you what I know! #readingfc

It takes something pretty serious to fail a medical these days. I doubt Reading would have criteria for passing a medical that would be much different to Saints. So that would mean the player in question has developed something (or shown signs of something) since he signed for us, whomever he may be. Given medicals are more around the general health of a player rather than his injury status, I imagine it may well have been a big shock to the player as well.

Maybe, probably, but not seen him play yet.

Personally I think Maya is v underrated by the saints faithfull

Yep, was a bit shaky at first but really come on this season and is our best centre back by some distance.

It takes something pretty serious to fail a medical these days. I doubt Reading would have criteria for passing a medical that would be much different to Saints. So that would mean the player in question has developed something (or shown signs of something) since he signed for us' date=' whomever he may be. Given medicals are more around the general health of a player rather than his injury status, I imagine it may well have been a big shock to the player as well.[/quote'] Demba Ba?

is he? Mouldy coat and me seen to be the only ones on here that weren't overly impressed.

Have to be careful as this is a Sharp post and don't want to set off the bedwetters, but did you see Maya for Brazils 3rd yesterday?....pathetic isn't the word.

Edited by Mouldy Coat

Demba Ba?

That is a good example. Stoke baulk at spending £10m on him because of the threat of a degenerative knee disease that will end his career. West Ham take a punt in desperation despite the failed medical, he does well enough for Newcastle to take him on a free transfer (again despite the knee issue), and then Chelsea don't think twice about spending £8m on him despite the chance that his knee could end his career tomorrow.

There is a remote chance that a player could fail a medical because an existing injury isn't clearing up well and return to the deal a bit further down the line, but that is rare. Stuart Downing once signed for Aston Villa while he had a broken leg.

To fail a medical these days usually means there is a heart problem, a blood problem, or something like that. Pretty serious stuff.

Maybe, probably, but not seen him play yet.

Personally I think Maya is v underrated by the saints faithfull

and I agree with that too.

Watched the Brazil V Japan game .....oh I know the Brazilians won, but Yoshida was not involved in any of the goals against, but he was everywhere at the back tidying up and made some good tackles / interceptions.

He seemd to be the only name that the commentators were mentioning, and were very complimentary.

Have read reports that Adkins is looking to take Billy to Reading, but he failed medical. Another rumour was that NA is intrrested in Fonte too.

Nah...not so important unless it's heart or knees. Some of our legendary players performed best when they were drunk, and others like (the late great) Ron Davies played despite injuries and still delivered the goods.

That is a good example. Stoke baulk at spending £10m on him because of the threat of a degenerative knee disease that will end his career. West Ham take a punt in desperation despite the failed medical, he does well enough for Newcastle to take him on a free transfer (again despite the knee issue), and then Chelsea don't think twice about spending £8m on him despite the chance that his knee could end his career tomorrow.

There is a remote chance that a player could fail a medical because an existing injury isn't clearing up well and return to the deal a bit further down the line, but that is rare. Stuart Downing once signed for Aston Villa while he had a broken leg.

To fail a medical these days usually means there is a heart problem, a blood problem, or something like that. Pretty serious stuff.

... or an eye problem ;-)

Watched the Brazil V Japan game .....oh I know the Brazilians won, but Yoshida was not involved in any of the goals against, but he was everywhere at the back tidying up and made some good tackles / interceptions.

He seemd to be the only name that the commentators were mentioning, and were very complimentary.

Actually he was. Lost Jo (waste of space at Man City) for 3rd goal. Good defender when ball is in front of him but like the rest of our defenders not so good when ball played in behind.

Actually he was. Lost Jo (waste of space at Man City) for 3rd goal. Good defender when ball is in front of him but like the rest of our defenders not so good when ball played in behind.

guess I was watching the attacker (Jo) and not the defenders, but Yoshida was pretty impressive for the other 89 minutes, but the game was lost long before then -wasn't it?

Have to be careful as this is a Sharp post and don't want to set off the bedwetters, but did you see Maya for Brazils 3rd yesterday?....pathetic isn't the word.

Thought he played v well up to that point, defensively and his distribution were spot on, that was a poor moment for him though I must admit.

He had a shaky start to the season but as the sweeper of our two CBs (more often than not) he did a good job of reading the danger and dealing with it. Not the biggest bloke but dealt wirh arial balls well enough.

It really didnt help him playing with Jos and occassionally Fox. Although Jos dort of improved moving forward when you watched closely there was plenty Jos missed that Maya tidied up. Would love to see Maya next to a solid cB to see how good he could be.

Thought he played v well up to that point, defensively and his distribution were spot on, that was a poor moment for him though I must admit.

He had a shaky start to the season but as the sweeper of our two CBs (more often than not) he did a good job of reading the danger and dealing with it. Not the biggest bloke but dealt wirh arial balls well enough.

It really didnt help him playing with Jos and occassionally Fox. Although Jos dort of improved moving forward when you watched closely there was plenty Jos missed that Maya tidied up. Would love to see Maya next to a solid cB to see how good he could be.

I've said a few times since he signed, along with a few other posters, that I really think Yoshi would look better with a better partner, preferably a big nasty bruiser type.

Hopefully, Lovren is that man. Don't know too much about him, but seems like it could potentially be a good signing. I feel a back 5 of Boruc, Clyne, Yoshi, Lovren & Shaw has the potential to be a pretty solid back-line - that could stay together as a unit for the next 3-4 years. There's still Forren in the frame too, who may yet come good. I want to at least see him before writing him off.

I've said a few times since he signed, along with a few other posters, that I really think Yoshi would look better with a better partner, preferably a big nasty bruiser type.

Hopefully, Lovren is that man. Don't know too much about him, but seems like it could potentially be a good signing. I feel a back 5 of Boruc, Clyne, Yoshi, Lovren & Shaw has the potential to be a pretty solid back-line - that could stay together as a unit for the next 3-4 years. There's still Forren in the frame too, who may yet come good. I want to at least see him before writing him off.

This is the Saintsweb forum, we don't go into that level of detail :)

HTH

Agreed - Mouldy coat is on something special, that or Alpine has a new account.

1cm taller than Lovren though or so says Wiki ....

Isn't it interesting that last season people were saying Fonte looked less of a player alongside Jos, this season we all agree i think that Yoshida hasn't looked so good alongside him. Yet some people were claiming Hooliveld was a good player and our best defender last season and anyone who said he wasn't up to it was shouted down. As anyone who knows anything about football knows, central defence is all about partnerships. He is an adequate championship defender, nothing more.

Hej ....isn't this thread supposed to be about ...Billy ?....and yes ...who is he going to play for next season ...?

I know he was on a long(er) contract but he'll want to play football, and I can't see much chance for him after we sign " our new striker "

...NO ! ..Im not ITK ....but there's sure to be one in the offing...don't you think ?

is he? Mouldy coat and me seen to be the only ones on here that weren't overly impressed.

Include me on that list too. His distribution is shocking and he's error prone - though he has provided a couple of brilliant last ditch clearances. I prefer Fonte over him, personally.

The last few months of the season Hooiveld did a job but should firmly be our 4th choice CB come the start of next season. I'd personally have Lovren and Fonte as our two main CB's next season.

Billy Sharp:

People are stating that Sharp was a Adkins choice, but so were Rodiguez and Hooper. At Saints there is no one person who selects the players we buy, it is done by a committee that includes Cortese, the Stooge and his side kick and the team manager and Under 21 coach. We already have Sharp and JRod. Last season we were unable to get Hooper or reunite this trio. The renewed Hooper interest whether true or otherwise could have a lot to do with whether he stays at Saints or not. We need British players and will bit the dust if we become a team of second rate foreigners.

People say we have ambition but 2 rate foreign players doesn't show ambition up again fully committed Brits.

Edited by ART

Include me on that list too. His distribution is shocking and he's error prone - though he has provided a couple of brilliant last ditch clearances. I prefer Fonte over him, personally.

The last few months of the season Hooiveld did a job but should firmly be our 4th choice CB come the start of next season. I'd personally have Lovren and Fonte as our two main CB's next season.

You'd rate him if he was English.

Isn't it interesting that last season people were saying Fonte looked less of a player alongside Jos, this season we all agree i think that Yoshida hasn't looked so good alongside him. Yet some people were claiming Hooliveld was a good player and our best defender last season and anyone who said he wasn't up to it was shouted down. As anyone who knows anything about football knows, central defence is all about partnerships. He is an adequate championship defender, nothing more.

Fonte is a decent enough player I suppose. Hoovield will always look ok if you dont look at the whole game as he is the bruiser of the partnership. At times when he makes positional errors etc it will be his partner who picks up the pieces.

He wont play this year, it wouldnt surprise me if he ended up at Reading etc