New Home Shirt - do you like it?

stevegrant

Your opinion on the new home shirt...  

900 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on the new home shirt...

• Like it, will buy it
    • Like it, but won't buy it
    • Don't like it, won't buy it
    • Don't like it, but will buy it anyway
    • Not bothered

Sorry, perhaps I should have said something like " the many thousands observed wearing Saints Red and White stripes on any home matchday" , but they were too many to count.

I wouldn't say those wearing red and white at SMS for home games were doing so as a protest at the kit. They are our colours which is why people are wearing red and white.

Just as this years full kit has both red and white. Ok, more red. But more white than last years and it still looks smart.

Come on Charlie, you've been an mboarder long enough to know that todays 'outrage' will be tomorrows tuts, followed by next weeks 'fastest selling shirt in history' propoganda on the OS and on the first day of the season SMS will be awash with fat men in football shirts.

Bit confusing though that the outrage is because of no stripes and then loads of people are saying a slightly edited version without stripes would be perfect.

Even for the mboard, this is just odd.

What is wrong with the kit? Is it stripes, is it gold, is it just because Cortese is at Saints or because most people would rather moan than just say it is ok.

Bit confusing though that the outrage is because of no stripes and then loads of people are saying a slightly edited version without stripes would be perfect.

What is wrong with the kit? Is it stripes, is it gold, is it just because Cortese is at Saints or because most people would rather moan than just say it is ok.

What is wrong with this kit?

Is it the stripes?

Yes or the lack of them.

Is it the gold?

Yes what have we won?

Is it because no one had a say in this after last years balls up?

Yes indeed so as it speaks volumes of no one listening to the fanbase, what other company would do that?

If you just accept the kit as it is, the next step is the club will be relocated to Gloucestershire.

no problem as Gloucestershire is still in our catchment area.

true , but word of warning don't wear the kit around Bristol Rovers , as we've copied City's kit.

despite the fact "we don't follow, we lead and others follow our example" according to the pathetic season ticket pack.

true , but word of warning don't wear the kit around Bristol Rovers , as we've copied City's kit.

despite the fact "we don't follow, we lead and others follow our example" according to the pathetic season ticket pack.

Good point. In all seriousness, thats the issue for me, not the stripes, but the fact so many of the kits today are generic. And that is mostly Adidas's fault surely? Look at all their kits and they are generic templates, not just ours. A shame really.

I wouldn't say those wearing red and white at SMS for home games were doing so as a protest at the kit. They are our colours which is why people are wearing red and white.

Just as this years full kit has both red and white. Ok, more red. But more white than last years and it still looks smart.

I'm not saying it doesn't look smart. I'm saying it looks more like Arsenal, and definitely NOT Southampton.

Pity you don't live in Cardiff. I expect you would have applauded their change from their traditional Blue to Red, just on a whim of their Eastern owners

I'm not saying it doesn't look smart. I'm saying it looks more like Arsenal, and definitely NOT Southampton.

Pity you don't live in Cardiff. I expect you would have applauded their change from their traditional Blue to Red, just on a whim of their Eastern owners

Come on! Changing from red to blue is hardly comparable with reducing the amount of white in a red and white kit.

A complete change like that is obviously ludicrous and rightly Cardiff fans don't like it.

But look below, there are people who like our new kit and it is better than last years IMO.

I'll be buying the plain one for £13. What a rip off. Some decisions are right, some are subjective, this is wrong. Fact.

Fair enough. What decision is wrong?

The price or the design? The price I agree is crazy, but is the going rate for kits and largely decided by Adidas Im sure.

Come on! Changing from red to blue is hardly comparable with reducing the amount of white in a red and white kit.

A complete change like that is obviously ludicrous and rightly Cardiff fans don't like it.

But look below, there are people who like our new kit and it is better than last years IMO.

It could be made out of Gold Lame for all I care

The point is

It isn't SAINTS

"Tiro 13 shirts make a strong statement before a ball is kicked"

...the statement being "We can't really be bothered about getting a stylish and unique look that epitomises the Southampton Way so we'll go for a cheap off the peg adidas template design that won't cost much"

"Tiro 13 shirts make a strong statement before a ball is kicked"

...the statement being "We can't really be bothered about getting a stylish and unique look that epitomises the Southampton Way so we'll go for a cheap off the peg adidas template design that won't cost much"

Saints have neither the scale or the marketability to have a unique or bespoke design.

It could be made out of Gold Lame for all I care

The point is

It isn't SAINTS

i think Charlie is struggling to understand this point, he keeps labouring on that it "looks good" but it isn't a saints shirt, simple as that.

i refer to the poll at the top of the page, a resounding agreement that this is not what the fans wanted.

I agree that we are generally red and white stripes. but clearly (as the 80s and other mini eras show) not exclusively

Red, white and BLACK. Other past combinations - even when they have strayed away from the traditional stripes - have stayed with that colour palette, and are always therefore identifiable as 'Saints kits'. That is the other big difference here. The lack of originality and the blandness of this paltry effort just add insult to injury.

Saints have neither the scale or the marketability to have a unique or bespoke design.

on what basis are you qualified to make this statement? can you give us an example of teams that do and teams that don't to explain why and where the cut off point is?

Leeds played in blue and white, then blue, before Don Revie changed it to the all white we now associate with them.

This looks like the one from about '85, not one of my favourites but better than some of the striped efforts we've had over the years.

Last years grow on me and I hope this one will as well.

At the end of the day, the thing that ****es me off, isn't the kit design but the price and the constant renewing of kits every season.The design is just opinions and the sales figures will indicate popularity in the club's eyes not a poll of people signed up on here.

There will be 3 groups; People who don't like it, but buy it anyway. People who like it and buy it, and people who don't like it but would have bought it had it been striped. Until the third group outweigh the first two the club wont give a ****.

on what basis are you qualified to make this statement? can you give us an example of teams that do and teams that don't to explain why and where the cut off point is?

One clue is that you can only buy the shirt in a Saints Megastore on or online via the website.

Other clubs have shirts in every Sports store worldwide.

As far as Adidas goes we are small time. We might sell 30k shirts. A few teams will sell millions worldwide - they might well have more time spent on them. Saying that, Chelsea and Swansea had the same template last year, and the year Chelsea won the CL they had the same shirt as Peterborough!

I'm gonna like this kit a whole lot more if the 2013/14 season proves to be a successful season. As it stands at the moment though, I'm not sold on it.

Just for the record, for those who's memories stretch back that far, what were your initial views when the '80's kits first came out. These of course broke away from the traditional stripes, did you think it was sacrilege then? I grew up only knowing them ( my first kit being the mid-eighties draper tools kit) so it seemed normal to me at the time.

One clue is that you can only buy the shirt in a Saints Megastore on or online via the website.

Other clubs have shirts in every Sports store worldwide.

As far as Adidas goes we are small time. We might sell 30k shirts. A few teams will sell millions worldwide - they might well have more time spent on them. Saying that, Chelsea and Swansea had the same template last year, and the year Chelsea won the CL they had the same shirt as Peterborough!

it was a decision made a few years ago when we took sales "in house" not to stock it elsewhere, this allows the club to control the supply and price of the product, unlike the England kit that ends up being reduced to £10 in Sports Direct.

Quite shocking isn't it. I don't mind the shirt, as a football top, but charging £50 for ironing on a badge and sponsor to an existing shirt is disgusting. Better off sewing on a saints badge and having a sponsorless shirt that looks up to date.

It's nothing new though. You have always been able to buy amateur shirt templates minus the club specific stuff.

it was a decision made a few years ago when we took sales "in house" not to stock it elsewhere, this allows the club to control the supply and price of the product, unlike the England kit that ends up being reduced to £10 in Sports Direct.

Yeah the Eng kits get knocked down very quickly.

Its says Barry Sanchez is not happy and neither are 60% of Saints fans with the new kit, the clappers are bells and Cortese does not listen to the clubs supporters, it went on and said Bazza is a love God and adored by the women of Equador and Nepal....................

Edited by Barry Sanchez

The more I see the Gold, the more sick of the sight of it I get.

Also those feckin sanitary towel things under the arm pits - what is the point?

I earlier asked if anybody knows if there will be a long sleeved version available, or are ovwerseas players going to have elbow length gloves during the winter?

I can't imagine just how bad the Dr Whites attachment thing will look on long sleeves, but could one of you techy types do one just to confirm my fears!!

PS - the Photo shopped white badges/sponsor motif were 10 times better than the naff gold effort.

How long ago are we talking? When I was a kid, you couldn't find Southampton shirts in any of the major sports retailers, even in Southampton and I am 30.

Its says Barry Sanchez is not happy and neither are 60% of Saints fans with the new kit, the clappers are bells and Cortese does not listen to the clubs supporters, it went on and said Bazza is a love God and adored by the women of Equador and Nepal....................

Long Live The Mirror, for they obviously know what they are talking about.

The in-house sales only policy made sense in the lower leagues as it meant that the profits from a relatively limited scope for sales were retained by the club. Now we're in the top flight and supposedly marketing to a global audience, surely the club should be actively encouraging sales in other retail outlets in order to grow the club's "brand image" :spaz:

That image surely can't expand too much if the club continues to only sell the shirts at St Mary's and West Quay retail outlets.

Yeah the Eng kits get knocked down very quickly.

This forum is now pointless - who wants to read you going on and on and ****ing on? I really haven't got the time to trawl through page after page of your ****ing drivel to see if anyone has said something worth reading. Goodbye, folks.

This forum is now pointless - who wants to read you going on and on and ****ing on? I really haven't got the time to trawl through page after page of your ****ing drivel to see if anyone has said something worth reading. Goodbye, folks.

Don't throw a hissy fit because your Agent got sussed out by the Don, Victor.