New Home Shirt - do you like it?

stevegrant

Your opinion on the new home shirt...  

900 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on the new home shirt...

• Like it, will buy it
    • Like it, but won't buy it
    • Don't like it, won't buy it
    • Don't like it, but will buy it anyway
    • Not bothered

How fickle we have become. A few seasons ago we were on the brink of extinction. We could now be a non league team. Now we are signing players for millions of pounds and have dreams of European competition. Time to take stock and be thankful I reckon.

Ah, I wondered how long it would take before this one came up. So because we almost went bust 4 years ago, we're no longer allowed an opinion on anything to do with the club?

as much as I agree with you. Those in the game, over many years clearly dont.

that is why football is generally NOT run by fanontheboard types

I wont be buying it and neither will 1000's, PR disaster whether they care to admit it or not, bad publicity in the mail is not good as a business.

I wont be buying it and neither will 1000's, PR disaster whether they care to admit it or not, bad publicity in the mail is not good as a business.

the same was said last season. Yet people queued around west quay for it.

each to their own I guess

Ah, I wondered how long it would take before this one came up. So because we almost went bust 4 years ago, we're no longer allowed an opinion on anything to do with the club?

The happier bunch on here will always throw back to back promotions (Cortese played well those two seasons) and how close we came to going out of business xyz years ago, stagnant thinking, base reactions to things separately, the clappers dont when they are fighting a losing battle with their Lord.

Of course we all have opinions - that's what forums are for surely. Just need a little context. What would you prefer watching - your premier league team playing in a red shirt with a little sacrifice of tradition or your league 2 club playing in a traditional stripey shirt. Get real.

The idea that we should just be grateful we have a club and shut up is just lame. If you don't like or agree with something you should at least have the balls to say so.

I've heard the kit is how it is because solid red is considered a more powerful colour. I agree with that but don't agree with the club's tradition being ****ed all over. I suspect Cortese has such big plans for the club he see's no value in being associated with the past which has been, in the main, not that successful.

By coincidence Ajax announced this today:

ajax-13-14-adidas-home-football-shirt.jpg

So we clearly can't blame Adidas for our abortion of a kit, as they clearly still manufacture stylish classic kits (for a more discerning buyer or CEO who cares about his club's heritage).

I'm sure that NC will not lose too much sleep over a couple of hundred keyboard warriors moaning about the shirt. He has shown in the past that tradition is not a strong point of his, nor is treating people kindly. What matters to him is the bottom line - ie how much cash will they generate. I have numerous striped shirts that I could wear to games but usually buy a new one and will do so again this season. I can afford it and it's my choice. There are some good striped variations about in the 'mock ups' and who knows we may return to them in coming seasons. IMO the only thing that would persuade NC to return to stripes would be a mass boycott of anything but. Personally, I can't see that happening.

How fickle we have become. A few seasons ago we were on the brink of extinction. We could now be a non league team. Now we are signing players for millions of pounds and have dreams of European competition. Time to take stock and be thankful I reckon.

Agree with your sentiments BUT this shouldn't give anybody carte blanche authority to ride roughshod over the club's history or the supporters opinions.

Even the most myopic person at SMS must have known what would be popular with the fans, therefore a big seller.

If not, which in fact appears to be the case, a bad commercial decision as been made.

Ok in the scale of TV/Sponsors etc it maybe be small, but the fact that it happened should be a cause for concern.

I queued to buy Oasis's be here now on the first day and that was ****e and?

its not like you have no idea what this kit looks like is it. jesus. LOL

I guess those that queue will be gimps, mugs and not real fans. (if they queue)

Of course we all have opinions - that's what forums are for surely. Just need a little context. What would you prefer watching - your premier league team playing in a red shirt with a little sacrifice of tradition or your league 2 club playing in a traditional stripey shirt. Get real.

Tradition for me, we shall be relegated again and promoted and thats part of our history and culture, never forget where you are from, never.

Why is this an "either or" choice? Quite a few other clubs have been able to maintain tradition while being successful.

By coincidence Ajax announced this today:

ajax-13-14-adidas-home-football-shirt.jpg

So we clearly can't blame Adidas for our abortion of a kit, as they clearly still manufacture stylish classic kits (for a more discerning buyer or CEO who cares about his club's heritage).

That reversed with black shorts and white socks and you have a winner.

the same was said last season. Yet people queued around west quay for it.

each to their own I guess

On a bit of a crest of a wave, with loads of JCL's celebrating our return to The Promised Land.

This year we are just glad to still be there - different motivations.

On a bit of a crest of a wave, with loads of JCL's celebrating our return to The Promised Land.

This year we are just glad to still be there - different motivations.

fair point. guess the proof will be in the pudding this weekend. and on monday. no doubt people will report in

I WAS going to buy it. The design sure as hell has not put me off. but I have to draw the line somewhere and not paying £50 for a t-shirt

I would suggest you ask your carer for your medicine.

Why is this an "either or" choice? Quite a few other clubs have been able to maintain tradition while being successful.

I think they/he/she means, is that if this is something to put up with (not like it has not happened before) in order to go this particular journey. then, is it worth it?

:lol::lol::lol: The old "look where we were x years ago" line is still getting played out. Good work.

I am truly pleased that your life is so complete that you have so much time and energy to moan about the colour of a football shirt. Next week it will be another moan about another topic. Don't like the shirt? - don't buy it - simples.

Live a let live. People can have their own opinions. I think it's a pile of **** and copied Bristol City but if someone likes it then leave them.

I have always fancied buying a recycled copied football top from a lower tier team and wearing it.............................

I am truly pleased that your life is so complete that you have so much time and energy to moan about the colour of a football shirt. Next week it will be another moan about another topic. Don't like the shirt? - don't buy it - simples.

I think you've spent more time moaning about the moaning than I have commenting on the shirt, chump. I don't like it. I won't buy it. That's as far as it goes for me; same as last year. But lets remember where we were 4 years ago, eh?

Thats correct it is, its also a distinct lack of respect to do this not once but twice and it shows what Cortese thinks of us, **** all.

Are you suggesting that Cortese thinks Saints fans are c***s? Because, to be honest, I've had a bit of a browse of this place and it's hard to argue with his logic.

No, simply people with no taste or utter sheeps.

What an unbelievable statement about thousands of saints fans who you don't have a clue about who they really are.

Your type are the ones who divide the fan base.

Your sanctimonious attitude is a real statement about who you really are behind that Sanchez mask.

I do hope your daughter enjoys her Pompey shirt!

Are you suggesting that Cortese thinks Saints fans are c***s? Because, to be honest, I've had a bit of a browse of this place and it's hard to argue with his logic.

Ha ha true, but he should know his business and not treat the customer badly ie consulted the customer before the release of such ****e after last seasons woeful effort.

What an unbelievable statement about thousands of saints fans who you don't have a clue about who they really are.

Your type are the ones who divide the fan base.

Your sanctimonious attitude is a real statement about who you really are behind that Sanchez mask.

I do hope your daughter enjoys her Pompey shirt!

That wont happen Fred, my opinion, people who purchase this are following Cortese and the club or have no taste, its was sanctimonious not to consult the paying public to whom they rely.

End of the day it's just a shirt/kit. It's not a Saints shirt/kit in any sense of the word but still just a kit.

Although IMHO a sh*te one. I'm sure some mugs will spend £50 even though they could get the same shirt without the tacky gaudy gold on it for £11.50 online buy a proper Saints badge and sow on for less than half price of the official sh*te sorry meant shirt. I didn't think it could get worse than last years but somehow they've surpassed themselves.

Just for a sense of perspective here is a reminder of some of our hopeless kits over the last 30 years. Not even sure this ranks in the top 5 of disasters. Some of the 90s kits were an abomination. Frankly most of us remember shirts with fondness simply because of results and performance from the team wearing it. If we do as we'll as NC is planning this year in 20 years we'll all be calling this one a classic

Just for a sense of perspective here is a reminder of some of our hopeless kits over the last 30 years. Not even sure this ranks in the top 5 of disasters. Some of the 90s kits were an abomination. Frankly most of us remember shirts with fondness simply because of results and performance from the team wearing it. If we do as we'll as NC is planning this year in 20 years we'll all be calling this one a classic

Sorry forgot link Lol

http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/teams/s/southampton/old-southampton-football-shirts-t40.html

Even the skates on POL are mocking us FFS, we're the laughing stock of the footballing world.

Who gives a ****, the footballing world could not give a **** about our kit and quite frankly nor could I.

As kits go it is a bog standard effort and I agree that there are far better templates out there we could of used but I certainly don't spend a fortune every year to watch our kit.

If you don't like it fine but jesus its only a football kit.

Just for the record, for those who's memories stretch back that far, what were your initial views when the '80's kits first came out. These of course broke away from the traditional stripes, did you think it was sacrilege then? I grew up only knowing them ( my first kit being the mid-eighties draper tools kit) so it seemed normal to me at the time.

They were accepted, but then they always retained our red, white & black palette. Some were fantastic, some were bloody awful - but they were always identifiably Saints. The move from some form of stripes is a big issue, but so is the removal of the black shorts. Swapping a clear identity for genericism is never a good idea.