New Home Shirt - do you like it?

stevegrant

Your opinion on the new home shirt...  

900 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on the new home shirt...

• Like it, will buy it
    • Like it, but won't buy it
    • Don't like it, won't buy it
    • Don't like it, but will buy it anyway
    • Not bothered

Just back from college and my nipper, after studying them when he got home from school, has decided the away kit is "totally mint" but the home kit is OK but the gold is "chavtastic".

You're at college and you've got a nipper old enough to go to school?

I really don't get the crybabying over a kit. F()cking hell, grown men... what's the issue? I've pretty much known Saints to be striped all my life but do I care that it's not stripes? No, it's a kit. It's still Southampton, it's still Southampton players, it's still in Southampton. There's a lot worse out there, kit-wise. Please, someone tell me... what is the big deal?

I really don't get the crybabying over a kit. F()cking hell, grown men... what's the issue? I've pretty much known Saints to be striped all my life but do I care that it's not stripes? No, it's a kit. It's still Southampton, it's still Southampton players, it's still in Southampton. There's a lot worse out there, kit-wise. Please, someone tell me... what is the big deal?

Consultation after last years fiasco.

Respect to the consumer.

Listening to the consumer.

After all this is a business now right? What business does not listen to its customer base?

Thats correct it is, its also a distinct lack of respect to do this not once but twice and it shows what Cortese thinks of us, **** all.

Well, I'll agree with you there to an extent, I'm sure Cortese see's us as consumers, not supporters. However... I just can't get my head around all the fuss!?

Respect to the consumer.

After all this is a business now right? What business does not listen to its customer base?

I think customer base may be the living in a foreign land or at least the customer base of the future anyway.

I have got no issue with the kit either positive or negative. It is merely a kit. I do find it insulting that Bristol City have the same template and that SFC are going to exploit fan loyalty by selling it for £50!

I can't see us being in stripes again for a very, very long time..... while Cortese is here at least. In his eyes, stripes were struggling saints, the new saints play in red..... almost all red! Cant see many fans complaining if he delivers top signings, top half finishes and European football. All of which I think are more likely than stripes!

Respect to the consumer.

I hate this comment, football is totally different to any other business in that no matter how much crap you put up with or how "awful" or not the product is, thousands of people every single week will still go and will continue to go.

Saints, and ever other football team know it too, so it matters little.

And already been found even cheaper here...

http://www.soccerdirectfc.co.uk/adidas-tiro-13-short-sleeve-shirt#.Uc3BWzvVCSp

£11.25 for the shirt (OK not exact but near enough for some) add a badge for £2 or £3 (tho don't think they'd allow the club crest for copyright) or buy one of trousers...

...only if you're a keen, and presently angry, shirt-wearer of course

And already been found even cheaper here...

http://www.soccerdirectfc.co.uk/adidas-tiro-13-short-sleeve-shirt#.Uc3BWzvVCSp

£11.25 for the shirt (OK not exact but near enough for some) add a badge for £2 or £3 (tho don't think they'd allow the club crest for copyright) or buy one of trousers...

...only if you're a keen, and presently angry, shirt-wearer of course

...also only if you don't mind looking like a right tight arse.

That white instead of gold mock up is so much better. How can they get it so badly wrong?

i think the gold thing might be my fault actually. I remember posting last season that liverpool's shirt with the gold badge + logo etc looked class. I still think it does, they ain't got stupid white sleeves. NC obviously read my thoughts on here + assumed i was voice of the people yo. Sorry bros!

Fair enough.... but it's a football kit.

But it's more than a Football Kit.

It's a Brand. It;s a visual image of SFC. It's respecting our past. Predominantly Red & White shirts and Black shorts over my 45 years of following the club through thick and thin.

It should be immediately recognisable to an outsider as "This is Southampton FC" without having to write it out in words.

Even down to the crap monochromatic Gold or Silver club crest - no longer jumps out and makes you think, yes i recognise that, it's Southampton FC.

It's a Brand. It;s a visual image of SFC. It's respecting our past. Predominantly Red & White shirts and Black shorts over my 45 years of following the club through thick and thin.

It should be immediately recognisable to an outsider as "This is Southampton FC" without having to write it out in words.

Even down to the crap monochromatic Gold or Silver club crest - no longer jumps out and makes you think, yes i recognise that, it's Southampton FC.

as much as I agree with you. Those in the game, over many years clearly dont.

that is why football is generally NOT run by fanontheboard types

Absolutely dreadful.

Home kit is worse than I feared initially, but as I'd come to expect.

Not even Rupert Lowe gave us rubbish like this, and permitted a fans vote on the home shirt.

Away kit is just drab, has a quality of "nothingness" to it.

Both look cheap and shoddy.

Quite shocking isn't it. I don't mind the shirt, as a football top, but charging £50 for ironing on a badge and sponsor to an existing shirt is disgusting. Better off sewing on a saints badge and having a sponsorless shirt that looks up to date.

I'm seriously thinking of doing that, buying the low price shirt without the sponsor and sewing on the proper Saints embroidered badge. Not having a sponsor's name was one of the plus points with the sash shirt.

Absolutely dreadful.

Home kit is worse than I feared initially, but as I'd come to expect.

Not even Rupert Lowe gave us rubbish like this, and permitted a fans vote on the home shirt.

Away kit is just drab, has a quality of "nothingness" to it.

Both look cheap and shoddy.

Good observation.

Respect to the consumer.

WUM or naive - not sure which you are.... Or both

The 'business' will respond as businesses do, look at the figures - if they sell 20k shirts they will be happy, if not, they will ask why.... Not exactly rocket science.

Ultimately if there are enough who don't like it but buy it anyway, then that will inform the club that it can carry on in that direction commercially...

As to history, 'what is saints' - each to their own on that, and no one really has the right to suggest anyone is any better than another simply because they have a different attitude towards such things, either more relaxed or the opposite. Personally, my gripe is that it's pretty bland, but won't buy it anyway so not an issue. As to changes away from stripes" we'll IMHO it's just a change, we'll change again in future - and looking forward beats hankering after past glories anytime...

I'm seriously thinking of doing that, buying the low price shirt without the sponsor and sewing on the proper Saints embroidered badge. Not having a sponsor's name was one of the plus points with the sash shirt.

I'm sure that will look nice :lol:

Let's hope the sixty odd percent who say they won't buy it stick to their guns and this is replicated across the whole fan base.

It will still be "our most successful kit ever" according to the OS though.

Hilarious to me how anyone can get so wound up/angry about a couple of football kits.

I imagine some on this forum reacted like this to the new kits:

xo3.gif

Or, people aren't actually raging that much.

It's a football shirt.

Which happens to be absolute horseplop.

It's funnier that people can't express that without the likes of you working it up into something it ain't.

Much rather have our football get us noticed, than the stripes which just like a red shirt was not unique to us anyway...

WUM or naive - not sure which you are.... Or both

The 'business' will respond as businesses do, look at the figures - if they sell 20k shirts they will be happy, if not, they will ask why.... Not exactly rocket science.

Ultimately if there are enough who don't like it but buy it anyway, then that will inform the club that it can carry on in that direction commercially...

As to history, 'what is saints' - each to their own on that, and no one really has the right to suggest anyone is any better than another simply because they have a different attitude towards such things, either more relaxed or the opposite. Personally, my gripe is that it's pretty bland, but won't buy it anyway so not an issue. As to changes away from stripes" we'll IMHO it's just a change, we'll change again in future - and looking forward beats hankering after past glories anytime...

If I have a gripe with the kit, it's basically charging £30 for a badge and a logo.

I've seen majority polls on here before; the majority are usually grumpy old men who've been looking for a reason to kick off or have a moan.

We went away from stripes for most of the 80s so why is that a problem now? [disclaimer: I don't consider the rank xerox/air florida kits or the Danish hummel to be "traditional stripes".]

But they were stripes. Only the "shoulders" one wasn't.

And small matter of black shorts, usually white socks on all of those kits.

And the 80s was mental kits agogo for all teams. Not the case now.

Much rather have our football get us noticed' date=' than the stripes which just like a red shirt was not unique to us anyway...[/quote']

Ah I see. So we couldn't possibly get noticed for our football in stripes then.

But they were stripes. Only the "shoulders" one wasn't.

And small matter of black shorts, usually white socks on all of those kits.

And the 80s was mental kits agogo for all teams. Not the case now.

dunno. have you seen some of the other horrors LOL

Or, people aren't actually raging that much.

It's a football shirt.

Which happens to be absolute horseplop.

It's funnier that people can't express that without the likes of you working it up into something it ain't.

I actually said some people on the forum are angry/frustrated about the new kits, not all.

I was simply providing an apt tongue in cheek gif that probably represents a minority of people on this forum. Since you replied to me directly and tried to falsify my opinion I think I probably hit a nerve.

I never said anywhere in my previous post that people can't express themselves. People are welcome to express their opinions, it is the whole point of a forum. Just as people are welcome to express a counter opinion and an indifferent opinion if they so choose.

I thought you weren't bothered about our kit or anyone else's kit?

im not. hence why I find it all quite funny.

I dont particularly think this seasons kit is that good. Not bad but Meh. also, I am not bothered really as long as it is red and/or white. they could have diagonal stripes or circles for all I care.

that still does not stop me having an opinion on the liverpools away kit being a bit naf.

What is aggravating me is NC's utter contempt for us. No explanation about the change to block colours, nuffin. nish, nowt.

There are a zillion better Adidas designs this year & as for us not being big enough to be designed exclusively for, who the hell were those MLS minnows with the tri blue striped effort?

We could have had any one of the Adidas efforts available but some t wat went for this abomination. It stinks

I'm sure that NC will not lose too much sleep over a couple of hundred keyboard warriors moaning about the shirt. He has shown in the past that tradition is not a strong point of his, nor is treating people kindly. What matters to him is the bottom line - ie how much cash will they generate. I have numerous striped shirts that I could wear to games but usually buy a new one and will do so again this season. I can afford it and it's my choice. There are some good striped variations about in the 'mock ups' and who knows we may return to them in coming seasons. IMO the only thing that would persuade NC to return to stripes would be a mass boycott of anything but. Personally, I can't see that happening.

How fickle we have become. A few seasons ago we were on the brink of extinction. We could now be a non league team. Now we are signing players for millions of pounds and have dreams of European competition. Time to take stock and be thankful I reckon.

I'm sure that NC will not lose too much sleep over a couple of hundred keyboard warriors moaning about the shirt. He has shown in the past that tradition is not a strong point of his, nor is treating people kindly. What matters to him is the bottom line - ie how much cash will they generate. I have numerous striped shirts that I could wear to games but usually buy a new one and will do so again this season. I can afford it and it's my choice. There are some good striped variations about in the 'mock ups' and who knows we may return to them in coming seasons. IMO the only thing that would persuade NC to return to stripes would be a mass boycott of anything but. Personally, I can't see that happening.

How fickle we have become. A few seasons ago we were on the brink of extinction. We could now be a non league team. Now we are signing players for millions of pounds and have dreams of European competition. Time to take stock and be thankful I reckon.

:lol::lol::lol: The old "look where we were x years ago" line is still getting played out. Good work.