Leandro Damiao!

Lambert7

Here's the TuttoMetcatoWeb article

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tuttomercatoweb.com%2Fserie-a%2Fesclusiva-tmw-damiao-nuovi-contatti-con-il-southampton-le-ultime-469263

As I said the other day, gut feeling, he will be a Southampton player but not until the last 2 or 3 days before the transfer window closes. A long way to go with this one yet.

Here's the TuttoMetcatoWeb article

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tuttomercatoweb.com%2Fserie-a%2Fesclusiva-tmw-damiao-nuovi-contatti-con-il-southampton-le-ultime-469263

As I said the other day, gut feeling, he will be a Southampton player but not until the last 2 or 3 days before the transfer window closes. A long way to go with this one yet.

Dan, would you go for Damiao over Osvaldo?

Dan, would you go for Damiao over Osvaldo?

Honestly I'm not sure. Seems a lot of money for someone who hasn't got the best goal scoring record in Brazil BUT he is Brazils first choice striker 9 times out of 10 so he is incredibly highly rated. Plus, he doesn't seem a bad apple compared to Osvaldo. No doubting Osvaldo is a top striker but his attitude worries me. How would he react to playing second fiddle some games to an ageing, English, typical centre forward?

There must be a reason some of the top clubs in Europe are willing to spend c.£15m on Damiao so he's the one I'd go for based on hearsay and reputation.

"Nuovi contatti, l'obiettivo resta Leandro Damiao. Il Southampton punta forte sull'attaccante dell'Internacional, è la prima scelta e rimane tale. Possibili sviluppi concreti entro 4-5 giorni, il presidente Cortese nelle ultime ore ha sensazioni positive. Anche se bisognerà trattare per limare alcuni dettagli importanti, perché l'accordo tra le parti non c'è ancora. Il Southampton continua a lavorare, perché Damiao è il primo nome sulla lista di gradimento. Più di Osvaldo e gli altri attaccanti che sono stati accostati alla squadra. Intanto Mauricio Pochettino ha fatto sapere di volere fortemente il giocatore dell'Internacional de Porto Alegre. "

OK, "exclusive" posted last night at 11pm: "New contacts, the obkjective remains LD. Saints aiming strongly for the attacker, he's their first choice and remains so. Possible developments within 4/5 days and Cortese feels positive in these last few hours , even if there needs to be further negotiation over the details as agreement between the parties hasn't been reached yet. Saints continue to work because he's the first name on their wish list - more than Osvaldo and other attackers that have been approached by the club. MP has made it be known he really wants the player."

"Nuovi contatti, l'obiettivo resta Leandro Damiao. Il Southampton punta forte sull'attaccante dell'Internacional, è la prima scelta e rimane tale. Possibili sviluppi concreti entro 4-5 giorni, il presidente Cortese nelle ultime ore ha sensazioni positive. Anche se bisognerà trattare per limare alcuni dettagli importanti, perché l'accordo tra le parti non c'è ancora. Il Southampton continua a lavorare, perché Damiao è il primo nome sulla lista di gradimento. Più di Osvaldo e gli altri attaccanti che sono stati accostati alla squadra. Intanto Mauricio Pochettino ha fatto sapere di volere fortemente il giocatore dell'Internacional de Porto Alegre. "

OK, "exclusive" posted last night at 11pm: "New contacts, the obkjective remains LD. Saints aiming strongly for the attacker, he's their first choice and remains so. Possible developments within 4/5 days and Cortese feels positive in these last few hours , even if there needs to be further negotiation over the details as agreement between the parties hasn't been reached yet. Saints continue to work because he's the first name on their wish list - more than Osvaldo and other attackers that have been approached by the club. MP has made it be known he really wants the player."

Thanks for that Sue. Sounds encouraging.

To choose between Damiao and Osvaldo.....my pick would be Osvaldo cause I think he would perform faster for us while Damiao would need time to settle in.

BUT, there is a mouthwatering thought that with the world cup coming up next year and we might have the first choice no 9 in Brazil playing for Southampton when the WC is held in Brazil....

To choose between Damiao and Osvaldo.....my pick would be Osvaldo cause I think he would perform faster for us while Damiao would need time to settle in.

BUT, there is a mouthwatering thought that with the world cup coming up next year and we might have the first choice no 9 in Brazil playing for Southampton when the WC is held in Brazil....

And that is the exact reason i'd prefer Damiao over Osvaldo. He's not Brazil's no.9 for no reason! Even the proper Ronaldo has tipped him to follow in his footsteps!

But why don't Spurs want him? They could attract him far more easily, afford him and they have 2 Brazilian internationals already.

well they've been trying to sign him these last 2 years so I'd guess that they've just given up the chase and moved on to targets they can actually sign. Got a feeling we're missing out on strikers who'd improve us whilst we run after the unreachable for some reason or other.

And that is the exact reason i'd prefer Damiao over Osvaldo. He's not Brazil's no.9 for no reason! Even the proper Ronaldo has tipped him to follow in his footsteps!

If anyone can flick the ball over a defender and meet it on the volley to almost score a wonder goal then I'm happy to have at Saints.

I often watch you tube videos of Ronaldinho and the guy is a legend. Saw one yesterday where he volleys it 30 feet in the air during a warm up and lands it on his foot without a bounce and then nutmegs a team mate hike he looks like he is going the other way.

Crazy skills that I would love down this way which has not been seen since Le Tiss.

Lets be honest - That would be crazy :)

Osvaldo has the advantage of scoring goals in both Spain & Italy though.

Good point. He might take time, but you never know. If he did manage 15-20 goals, then had a good World Cup, we could be talking about even an £18m value doubling.

Italy have as good as qualified and will be seeded. But IMO Balotelli if fit will be number 9 and play every match unless injured (or suspended...). Osvaldo may not play in first 11 but is more likely to be bench for me given Italy's current best formation has one lone striker - which will be Balotelli not Osvaldo - again in my opinion. So if he is a Saint he will probably only be seen in fits and starts especially if Italy are losing. I think it reasonable to assume Italy are good for at least the quarter finals. After that its a lottery depending on heat, travelling, fatigue, geography and so on as much as team quality.. For me, Osvaldo is the back up player for Balotelli in the possible Italian WC squad. A good WC and hes worth £30M imo.

Brazil are hosts and will be seeded. I cannot see Brazil NOT getting to the latter stages of the tournament and i cannot see them not getting a favourable logistically simpler route to the final. Its reasonable to make them favorites to win let alone get to final semifinal quarterfinal etc. Brazil have several forwards to call on other than Damiao : Hulk, Fred, Love, Pato, Fabiano, Wellinton all vying to play with the must-start Neymar. It is not a given Damiao will even make the WC squad if he has a duff year and enough of the others play well, but currently I think it is safe to say he would have been in the confed cup squad if he had not been injured and he is still highly regarded after being leading goalscorer at the 2012 olympics.I personally don't rate Hulk or Love or Fred as much as him. Pato/Kaka were a different class but are too fragile and old respectively now. A good WC and he's worth £40m imo.

For me, the best financial deal would be damiao, the most likely to acclimatise to the epl quickly is osvaldo..the most skilful damiao, the most like SRL is Osvaldo...you pays your money...

Edited by Giordano

I think he's going to be the other 'main target' as mentioned by Cortese, MP talked openly about him in an interview, plus there are plenty of links and have been for a while. He also fits our profile better than Osvaldo

The Napoli option is probably gone, they have just spent 37 million on a striker, are they going to spend another 25 million on Damiao? More likely they will pick up an Italian like Gilardino for a smaller fee.

So that leaves probably Spurs or Zenit, Zenit will throw money at him but the Russian league is not that an attractive proposition, he can probably go talk to Hulk about it. Like someone above said, if Spurs sign a striker we might be there,

Like who?

I read Spurs were after Soldado but could face competition from Liverpool if they flog Jaws off to Arsenal.

I'd still opt for Osvaldo because he is proven, Damiao would have to adapt to a very different climate and a different style of football but who am I kidding.........I'd be seriously excited if we signed either, both world class and either would make a huge difference to us.

There's undoubtedly a domino type effect here, starting with the likes of Rooney, Suarez, Soldado etc. Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs need a striker and will likely sign someone by the end of the window. Real Madrid do as well with Higuain having gone. Depends who goes first and who's left

Sadly we are at the bottom of the line so even if clubs agree fees the players/agents will likely want to wait, all these guys like Damiao, Osvaldo, Soldado etc will want CL football and you cant blame them for that

I like to think we would give Damiao an attractive option. He will be looking to have an active season in a highly competitive league in the run-up to the WC. Signing for Saints would probably guarantee him more starts than signing for a "larger" club and having to fight for a place in the starting line-up.

Even if he sees us as a stepping stone it could work out well for both parties. We can dream can't we?

I like to think we would give Damiao an attractive option. He will be looking to have an active season in a highly competitive league in the run-up to the WC. Signing for Saints would probably guarantee him more starts than signing for a "larger" club and having to fight for a place in the starting line-up.

Even if he sees us as a stepping stone it could work out well for both parties. We can dream can't we?

I'd say thats a fair point. Potentially the biggest season in their career for every Brazilian player and they all need to be playing regularly. Damiao could easily go to Spurs, Napoli etc but would he be more than a rotation option??

Come to Saints, play 30+ games in the Premier League, score 10+ goals in the 'best' league in the world and he is nigh-on guaranteed to be Brazil's no. 9 for the World Cup - simple as.

I'd say thats a fair point. Potentially the biggest season in their career for every Brazilian player and they all need to be playing regularly. Damiao could easily go to Spurs, Napoli etc but would he be more than a rotation option??

Come to Saints, play 30+ games in the Premier League, score 10+ goals in the 'best' league in the world and he is nigh-on guaranteed to be Brazil's no. 9 for the World Cup - simple as.

I understand this, but IMO these type of players will want European football. For someone like Damiao, Zenit would represent a better chance of being picked for Brazil.

Just look at England's selection, European footy and the club you play for is valued above regular PL starts and goals.

or stay where he is and score 10-15

The standard of the Brazil league is not that great - however his goal scoring record is not that brilliant (only 7 last season and 2 this season?)

Last season he finished 35th in the top goal scorers list below 47 year old Clarence SEEDORF ffs

The Inter chairman though thinks he can do this by staying with Inter, and I suppose he has a point considering he was getting picked based on his Inter performances before he got injured. The Brazil national team seems to pick more form the domestic game than it used to.

Basically if Spurs get Soldado, I think we are in a straight fight out with Zenit. I reckon pay wise they will probably offer him more and they have a better chance of European football. The Premier League though is a massive draw over the Russian league, plus I think it might be the only occasion Britain might win climate wise!

Another factor might be that the Russian league runs during the world cup so he won't be playing much football in the run up to it.

I also can't see Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea etc going for him they are looking for a higher calibre player. Other teams like Valencia or Inter Milan I don't think have the funds.

I don't think not playing in Europe if he signs for us is a big deal for him. He needs games in a competitive league without extra games European football would require of him. How many players from top English sides looked played-out in summer international tournaments?

I'm prepared to have a word with him if you like...I think I could talk him round.;)

82 in 147 isn't bad really.

ahh good shout - I was miss reading the WIKI stats. Its the way they have split the goals by competitions/leagues

So his record is

2011 played 51 scored 38

2012 played 43 scored 24

2013 played 18 scored 8

National team player 15 scored 3

Like you say 82 in 147 is v.good! Thanks

ahh good shout - I was miss reading the WIKI stats. Its the way they have split the goals by competitions/leagues

So his record is

2011 played 51 scored 38

2012 played 43 scored 24

2013 played 18 scored 8

National team player 15 scored 3

Like you say 82 in 147 is v.good! Thanks

So he's getting worse each season, and struggles at the top level???

I think some of those early goals were in a regional or lower level competition so slightly exagerate his goal ratio and would account for the decrease.

Indeed, the higher the level the more difficult goals are to come by. Keepers are better and defenders don't leave sloppy balls hanging about the area that you just have to toe punt in. We saw that on Wednesday, neither of their goal occasions should have existed and wouldn't have with good defenders in fully functional mode. That's where blokes like Sharp and Hooper fall down, the type of chances they score just don't exist in top level football. Chances have to be crafted and then clinically finished. Until we have a striker capable of that we'll be mediocre.

Indeed, the higher the level the more difficult goals are to come by. Keepers are better and defenders don't leave sloppy balls hanging about the area that you just have to toe punt in. We saw that on Wednesday, neither of their goal occasions should have existed and wouldn't have with good defenders in fully functional mode. That's where blokes like Sharp and Hooper fall down, the type of chances they score just don't exist in top level football. Chances have to be crafted and then clinically finished. Until we have a striker capable of that we'll be mediocre.

How do you know that Sharp and Hooper wouldn't score at the top level? Plenty have come from the lower leagues and done really well. A natural goalscorer is a natural goalscorer. Remember John Aldridge?

How do you know that Sharp and Hooper wouldn't score at the top level? Plenty have come from the lower leagues and done really well. A natural goalscorer is a natural goalscorer. Remember John Aldridge?

Blokes like Rush and Aldridge would probably have difficulty getting a game now let alone score shedloads of goals. Football has moved on since their day. Which is why clubs are falling over themselves to pay 59 milion for Suarez and Cavani and not sign up lads from Birkenhead U18s or whatever it is. As for Hooper we shall see shortly won't we. Sharp was limited in the NPC last season and will never ever make the grade in the EPL.

Blokes like Rush and Aldridge would probably have difficulty getting a game now let alone score shedloads of goals. Football has moved on since their day. Which is why clubs are falling over themselves to pay 59 milion for Suarez and Cavani and not sign up lads from Birkenhead U18s or whatever it is. As for Hooper we shall see shortly won't we. Sharp was limited in the NPC last season and will never ever make the grade in the EPL.

I reckon Hooper will score goals, I reckon the JRod will score goals this season. I also reckon Rush would score goals in any era, he was that good. Aldridge was a great player for his time. With the improvements in sports science and fitness, he would have been good in the current era.

What they need and what they want to buy seems two different things though :)

no talk about Hulk and Monaco on L'Equipe TV though , which is strange cos PSG and Monaco is all they talk about. If there was anything to say about Hulk they'd be saying it. There's a nightly feature of about 10 minutes "Cashico" which is exclusively about the two of them .