Leandro Damiao!

Lambert7

Sounds to me as if a contract in principle has been agreed with Napoli, including agent fees etc - but Napoli still haven't given Internactional the fee they want. But we sound like we want to pay what they want.

Interesting.

Not sure how many on here read other fans forums. Its quite interesting and a fair few comments about Wanyama, but how about this one on the Man City Damiao thread........

GazM wrote:

The Fat el Hombre wrote:

Very exciting time for southampton, good luck to them. Good to see them bringing some quality overseas players to the prem

Yeah. Great. What about some home-grown talent ?

You definitely cant accuse Southampton of not producing home grown talent!

You could accuse us of blocking their access to the team, however, but we won't have a clue until the season starts. We'll have to see!

I really hope we still have a chance of landing Damiao.

Sounds to me as if a contract in principle has been agreed with Napoli, including agent fees etc - but Napoli still haven't given Internactional the fee they want. But we sound like we want to pay what they want.

Interesting.

Sounds like Napoli still hold all the cards- the player wants to join them. Getting the player's agreement is harder than the club's.

It's all one big game of poker...

This from Sky Sports News website from yesterday afternoon

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/8820793/Napoli-yet-to-make-an-approach-for-Brazil-striker-Leandro-Damiao

Internacional president Giovanni Luigi claims they have not been contacted by Napoli about Leandro Damiao.Napoli had been regarded as favourites to land Tottenham and Southampton target Damiao as they are in the market for a new striker with Edinson Cavani on the verge of joining Paris Saint Germain.

However, Luigi insists there has been no approach from Napoli for Damiao and that he expects the Brazil international to stay with Internacional for another year.

"No one from Napoli has spoken with me and I do not know if they are talking to his agent," Luigi told Italian station Radio CRC

"But if I like a football player, I'm going to talk to his club and not with the agent.

"For me there is no negotiation started for Damiao with Napoli, this must be a guess because, I repeat, Napoli have not mentioned this interest either now or in the past.

"How much is he worth? I do not know if I'm going to sell. He should remain here. I believe the player will be here for at least another year."

Damiao would obviously want Napoli, so we're the last resort. Napoli can just bide their time and play brinksmanship games to get a better price later on in the window.

That's the most likely outcome, but I'd guess it's what Spurs tried and failed to do during the last two windows, so it sounds like his club are pretty stubborn about getting their valuation.

That's the most likely outcome, but I'd guess it's what Spurs tried and failed to do during the last two windows, so it sounds like his club are pretty stubborn about getting their valuation.

They've nothing to lose. If they remain stubborn they either keep him, at least for another year, or get the money they want.

Not sure how many on here read other fans forums. Its quite interesting and a fair few comments about Wanyama, but how about this one on the Man City Damiao thread........

GazM wrote:

The Fat el Hombre wrote:

Very exciting time for southampton, good luck to them. Good to see them bringing some quality overseas players to the prem

Southampton gave English players more starts than any other EPL team last season...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/11/investigation-shortage-talent-england

That was Adkins team. Will be very different this year unfortunately.

Not really, we still have all of the decent young English players from last season and most of them will be pushing for a first team place. The players who look likely to be pushed out of the side are the likes of Guly, De Ridder, Hooiveld, Fox, Fonte and Puncheon. 5 of those aren't English and at 27 Punch isn't exactly up and coming.

I think the only young English player who may lose out at the moment is Cork but he will get plenty of game time. Shaw, Clyne, JWP and Rod will continue to play and hopefully improve.

Yup super saint. Cant see Napoli not paying the fee...but just how persuasive cm can NC be...still think Osvaldo is more likely cos of the MP connection ...but that's got little chance too....the way its going its not inconceivable that a new striker comes into saints out of the radar/equation at present...

Not really, we still have all of the decent young English players from last season and most of them will be pushing for a first team place. The players who look likely to be pushed out of the side are the likes of Guly, De Ridder, Hooiveld, Fox, Fonte and Puncheon. 5 of those aren't English and at 27 Punch isn't exactly up and coming.

I think the only young English player who may lose out at the moment is Cork but he will get plenty of game time. Shaw, Clyne, JWP and Rod will continue to play and hopefully improve.

Shaw, Clyne, and JRod are the only ones I see being regular first choices. JWP wont get a look in except maybe the odd cup game

Yup super saint. Cant see Napoli not paying the fee...but just how persuasive cm can NC be...still think Osvaldo is more likely cos of the MP connection ...but that's got little chance too....the way its going its not inconceivable that a new striker comes into saints out of the radar/equation at present...

Why not just sign Bernard in front of Spurs, Liverpool and others ;)

We've still got a fair amount of British players in our first XI compared to a lot of Prem sides.

Clyne

Shaw

Cork

Lallana

JayRod

Lambert

With the likes of Kelvin, Fox, Steven Davis, Prowsey and Punch getting decent game time as well. Don't think it's a major concern for us.

Think he'll end up with Napoli, however with the Brazilian transfer window closing on the 20th and the likelihood Napoli would want a replacement if they sell Damiao, this is likely one that will be decided over the next week. From what I've read Napoli are hopeful Internacional will climb down and settle for a couple of million euros less than their asking price. iIMO the only chance we have to get him is to come in and meet Internacional's demands and hope Napoli refuse to match us.

Think he'll end up with Napoli, however with the Brazilian transfer window closing on the 20th and the likelihood Napoli would want a replacement if they sell Damiao, this is likely one that will be decided over the next week. From what I've read Napoli are hopeful Internacional will climb down and settle for a couple of million euros less than their asking price. iIMO the only chance we have to get him is to come in and meet Internacional's demands and hope Napoli refuse to match us.

Worked with Wanyama!

Eh? He's at his peak. Pochettino doesn't seem to fancy him as much as Adkins but it's not an age thing.

The point I was making is that bringing in these foreign signings isn't really compromising our young English talent. Puncheon isn't really young any more which leads me to believe he is probably as good as he is going to get.

The point I was making is that bringing in these foreign signings isn't really compromising our young English talent. Puncheon isn't really young any more which leads me to believe he is probably as good as he is going to get.

But the fact Puncheon isnt young doesn't mean the youth aren't blocked - thats a non sequiteur. Clearly cork, Lallana, Moore and JWP will get fewer opportunities next year than if we hadn't signed wanyama and Banega (if we do). That's the problem with the whole English game. Importing from around the world and not blooding your own talent is the way most of the PL has already gone and now Saints are following. Trying to pretend otherwise is false.

Edited by buctootim

But the fact Puncheon isnt young doesn't mean the youth aren't blocked - thats a non sequiteur. Clearly cork, Lallana, Moore and JWP will get fewer opportunities next year than if we hadn't signed wanyama and Banega (if we do). That's the problem with the whole English game. Importing from around the world and not blooding your own talent is the way most of the PL has already gone and now Saints are following. Trying to pretend otherwise is false.

Point is though, that in some games, Puncheon & Lallana were awful, and it would be hard to see where JWP actually had a major influence on a game as opposed to doing a good job. I would be very concerned going into a new season with them as first choice, simply on POTENTIAL.

IF they do develop or have a better more consistent season then other players will not get in the team, has always been that way. One bad game is something that happens to every player, but having SDR on the bench to replace Puncheon/Lallana or having Lallana on the bench to replace Gaston/Cork?

No brainer

Anyway, at home we MAY choose to only play with one DM and push Cork & Morgan higher up the pitch to press higher and force a team trying to sit back to change their tactics.

It ain't Mike Bassett land anymore

We lost EIGHT out of the first TEN games when Cork was injured we were also incredibly lucky Morgan did not pick up a ban.

I would agree. If our young players are to be good enough for the level we wish to play at then they have to be better than the bought in imports. It is all a matter of perspective. We in England have now adopted a stance that says 'all the foreign imports are stopping our youngsters coming through.' I think this is utter tosh. Our youngsters are either not good enough or they are not receiving the right coaching in their development. If our younger players are good enough they will compete with and oust out foreign imports. If they are not, they won't! They need a target to apsire too. Why play them for the sake of their 'development'. They need to be good enough (like Luke Shaw) and then they will succeed. They do not deserve a place just becuase they are "young" or because they are "English".

What about adding Tom Ince to the squad now he has not gone to Cardiff?

Would he get a game every week??

I don't think he would.

Gotta be better than Punch hasn't he?

He turned down Cardiff because he became a father last week and wants to stay in the North West.

Edited by Matthew Le God

But as a general point it could be argued that it does compromise the progress of English talent. If we were in the Prem in 2009 would we have gone for Lambert? Or an expensive foreign option?

But as a general point it could be argued that it does compromise the progress of English talent. If we were in the Prem in 2009 would we have gone for Lambert? Or an expensive foreign option?

also, any striker in league 1 with a similar scoring record as lambert had when he joined us would now be dismissed as rubbish

also, any striker in league 1 with a similar scoring record as lambert had when he joined us would now be dismissed as rubbish

Exactly. It is difficult for English players to get that "break" that you need sometimes these days. Think there is a perception, that foreign automatically equals better. Applies to managers as well.

Exactly. It is difficult for English players to get that "break" that you need sometimes these days. Think there is a perception, that foreign automatically equals better. Applies to managers as well.

Just look on here. Both Hooper and Ince are generally dismissed. Yet a nutter in osvaldo is deemed 'brilliant'

also, getting excited about Bueno. is he really better than Ince? probably not

Sometimes better; but more often than not cheaper. The cost of proven English players in this country is ridiculous; even unproven English players are vastly overpriced. Its easy to see why some clubs would rather spend £7M on a foreign proven star than on someone like Jay Rodriguez.

Sometimes better; but more often than not cheaper. The cost of proven English players in this country is ridiculous; even unproven English players are vastly overpriced. Its easy to see why some clubs would rather spend £7M on a foreign proven star than on someone like Jay Rodriguez.
But as I say, take Lambert as an example. If we were in the Prem in 2009, would we have spent £1m on a Bristol Rovers striker? Or spent biggish money on a foreign forward?

GazM wrote:

The Fat el Hombre wrote:

We get a lot of mentions on this thread http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=287084

But as I say, take Lambert as an example. If we were in the Prem in 2009, would we have spent £1m on a Bristol Rovers striker? Or spent biggish money on a foreign forward?

No, I agree with that point. Its a trend that is permeating lower in the leagues and becoming more prevalent in the Championship; I guess its a reason why Lambert hadn't been snapped up before we got to him. The cost thing is also backed up when you look at Jordan Rhodes; top scorer in League 1 but it took an £8M fee for Blackburn to get him. That's an insane amount of money to spend on a lower league player.

When you consider that the best England has to offer play for the national team who would you actually take from the starting XI to replace any Saints players? That sums up why shopping abroad is the norm.

The whole team..

"GazM wrote:

The Fat el Hombre wrote:

Yeah. Great. What about some home-grown talent ?"

Manuel Pellegrini says he is under no pressure to win the PL title, and that he intends to spend this season developing Citeh's youth programme.

So when he carries through on that and they end up without a trophy, let's see how that goes down with the Citeh faithful.

The English league is the richest in the world. It can pick and choose from the best players in the world.

Does forming a team from the best players in the world, even if it means no Brits, give you the best chance of winning a title? yes. Does having no or very few English players in the top teams damage the national team, reduce the development of English talent and make the problem of lack of quality players coming through worse? Unquestionably.

Is it though? Personally I don't believe English players (on the whole) have a good enough touch, and also can't pick a pass. I do agree that poor management and tactics are part of it, but big changes are needed at International level for us to get close to the bigger nations.

Hart, Baines, Jagielka, Cahill, Lescott, Jones, Wilshere, Walker, Walcott, Chamberlain, Young.

plenty of talent, just awful management, gutless decisions and not enough up front. Saints probably have as much as better at CM anyway and our full backs will be as good eventually.

That said, while we'd lose to England on paper, we'd probably draw with them 0-0 in reality in another abject international performance.

A Reading XI did alright against them recently to be fair.