Leandro Damiao!

Lambert7

If true, it would be a staggering amount of money for us to spend on a player and not one I'd be entirely comfortable with. He'd have to be an absolute home-run smash hit for us to ever be able to sell him for more than we purchased him for, so for that reason be brings lots of risks. Not to mention that €26m is a massively unsustainable figure for us to pay on a single player anyway.

Exciting but it is a bit crazy.

That web link from yesterday 30/7 AM paraphrases as follows:

...And then there is the strange case of Leandro Damiao, currently very close indeed to joining Southampton who have put down an offer of 26m euros, Saints having had to accept that Osvaldo is not going to join them them. Napoli stopped bidding at 20M for Damiao but the player in any case wants a team where he is certain to play in order to not lose his chances at the 2014 World Cup, his time at Internacional in Brazil seems pretty much up. As a consequence the arrival of Higuain at Napoli is a real concern for Damiao (My interpretation: because Higuain is the Napoli likely key striker - Damiao would not be the key striker at Napoli but would be much more likely to be at a club like Southampton - after he proved himself of course).

Ma anche di retroscena si vive in quel di Napoli. Tra questi lo strano caso di Leandro Damiao, ora vicino davvero al Southampton che mette sul piatto 26 milioni di euro pur di arrivare al centravanti brasiliano dopo aver incassato il no di Osvaldo. Gli azzurri si sono fermati a 20 e il giocatore vuole comunque una piazza dove esser certo di giocare (il suo tempo in Brasile a Porto Alegre pare terminato) per non perdere l'appuntamento con il mondiale carioca 2014. Higuain in questo senso fa parecchia paura.

"...but the player in any case wants a team where he is certain to play in order to not lose his chances at the 2014 World Cup..."

Hopefully no club would "guarantee" a first team appearance regardless, if he couldn't settle away from Brazil or in the league he ends up, that could prove a bit of a bugger.

owen cost newcastle £15m-ish?

cant remember how much bent went to spurs for

leeds paid something like £18m for rio???????

Bent was £22m.

Owen was £22m.

Rio was £23m.

So give or take a bit for exchange rates....

And isn't Soldado going for €27m?

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/premier-league/transferrekorde/wettbewerb_GB1.html

Bent was £22m.

Owen was £22m.

Rio was £23m.

So give or take a bit for exchange rates....

And isn't Soldado going for €27m?

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/premier-league/transferrekorde/wettbewerb_GB1.html

Ferdinand joined Premier League club Leeds United in November 2000 for £18 million, then a British transfer record as well as becoming the world's most expensive defender.

Bent completed a move to Tottenham Hotspur for a club record fee of £16.5 million on 29 June 2007, which was to be payable over three years and is inclusive of add-on payments

On 24 August 2005, Newcastle United announced that they had agreed a club record fee[58] of £16.8 million to obtain Owen, although they still had to negotiate with the player's advisers. Liverpool and local rivals Everton entered the fray, but were unwilling to match Madrid's asking price

Looks to have a fair bit of pace and power plus decent heading ability.

He would open our game up a lot and allow Gaston to start playing through balls.

I'd have loved Osvaldo but LD with RL in the hole and JRod out wide would be a fantastic attacking line.

If we land him MP is going to want 25 goals and NC is going to want a shot at top 6 IMO......and with players of that calibre why not?

Looks to have a fair bit of pace and power plus decent heading ability.

He would open our game up a lot and allow Gaston to start playing through balls.

I'd have loved Osvaldo but LD with RL in the hole and JRod out wide would be a fantastic attacking line.

If we land him MP is going to want 25 goals and NC is going to want a shot at top 6 IMO......and with players of that calibre why not?

Because we won't keep enough clean sheets unless we sign another CB IMO.

Just found out Anderson signed for Man Utd for £27.5m! How is he not mentioned when players slag off Liverpool for wasting money. See - even Sir Alex *****s up occasionally!

No it wasn't it was about £20m, it was reported as 30m euros but the exchange rate was a lot more favourable in 2007 so worked out just over £20m, still about £15m overpriced though.

The link where I got the info from is on the post you have just quoted....

But thinking about it, it was probably taken in Euros from when it happened and then transfered back to GBP, which is probably where the difference comes from. Does it really matter anyway!?

Even if those figures from that site were true over all the other sources showing lower fees, only the Ferdinand one is more than the reported £22.67m for Damiao.

Ok...DellDays asked a question, I googled a 'list of most expensive english transfers', thats what came up....I'm sure you'll get over it that it wasn't accurate !

Because we won't keep enough clean sheets unless we sign another CB IMO.

Not so sure.

If Lovren turns out to be (as I hope) another Killer with Cork sitting directly infront plus Wanyama + Schneiderlin infront of him I think the layers of defence would be good.

MP's view is defence begins from your strikers and we have a good overall defensive ability .

My team would be:

Boruc

Clyne Lovren Yoshida Shaw

Cork

Wanyama Scneiderlin

Ramirez

Lambert (Damiao?)

With a big responsibilty on the full backs to provide the width.

That's a good team however it doesn't have huge strength in depth, esp at fullback.

How do you know that?

I've looked into it a bit more and unsustainable is probably misleading - perhaps very risky is a better way to put it. Based on some sensible interpretation of the figures that are out there.

What we know:

1. The 6-monthly accounts for Saints showed revenue of £33m, a profit of £1m, and a wage to turnover ratio of 59%: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2290117/Southampton-post-900-000-profit-promotion-Premier-League.html

What has happened since then:

1. Saints finished 14th in the Premier League and received £43m from the Premier League over the course of the season. Speculating that the half yearly accounts can be extrapolated across the course of the season that would mean a turnover of £66m, a profit of £2m, and a wage bill of £39m. Realistically I don't think we made a profit last season at all but I can only use the 6 monthly figures and extrapolate them across the year.

2. New contracts have been given to Artur Boruc, Rickie Lambert, Kelvin Davis, Morgan Schneiderlin, Luke Shaw, and Jason Puncheon. I think it would be fair to assume that all but Boruc (signed originally on a 1 year deal) and Davis (signed for loyalty and continuity) would be on better terms (vastly so in the case of Schneiderlin and Shaw). I also think it would be fair to assume that many of the younger players (which is the majority of our squad) have wage increases built into their contract as that is quite normal - however, it would be also fair to assume the released players were earning wages which would 'cancel out' that net gain. So conservatively I would suggest our wage bill from that activity alone has a net increase of £100k a week. That would mean an increase in the wage bill of around £5m a year, increasing our wages to £44m.

3. We've also signed Dejan Lovren and Victor Wanyama for a suggested combined fee of £20m. Taking into account their wages (another conservative estimate of £40k a week each) that is another increase of £4.2m a year to the wage bill. That takes wages to £49m a year and in the accounts their transfer fees are spread over the period of their contract so that is £5m a year additional cost that needs to be accounted for.

4. The new TV deal suggest each club on average will receive £25m more. So using the above figures and making assumptions that other revenues and costs stay the same (I've got no fair basis to change them) that leaves us with revenues next season of £90m, costs of £79m (£64m + £5m + £4.2m + £5m), and a profit of £11m. Wage to turnover ratio of 60% again.

But then Damiao. If the fee of £22m is correct and I made the assumption he signed a 4 year deal on £60k a week, that is a yearly cost of £8.6m on the accounts. That basically eats all but £2m of the profit from the bumper new TV deal and it is invested in a single player. With no other clear methods for us to increase revenues other than hiking the cost to consumers of existing channels we're placing all our eggs in one basket. Plus as I've already stated I'm concerned that we'd ever be able to sell him for more than we purchased him, and it does leave any money left in the coffers for anything else without moving players around - unless of course we revert back to being a club that is supported from the owners.

People can probably pick holes in the above but breaking it down like that shows how we'd be allocating nearly 10% of projected revenue to a single player in our squad and I think that is very dangerous for a club at our level.

I've looked into it a bit more and unsustainable is probably misleading - perhaps very risky is a better way to put it. Based on some sensible interpretation of the figures that are out there.

What we know:

1. The 6-monthly accounts for Saints showed revenue of £33m, a profit of £1m, and a wage to turnover ratio of 59%: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2290117/Southampton-post-900-000-profit-promotion-Premier-League.html

1. Saints finished 14th in the Premier League and received £43m from the Premier League over the course of the season. Speculating that the half yearly accounts can be extrapolated across the course of the season that would mean a turnover of £66m, a profit of £2m, and a wage bill of £39m. Realistically I don't think we made a profit last season at all but I can only use the 6 monthly figures and extrapolate them across the year.

2. New contracts have been given to Artur Boruc, Rickie Lambert, Kelvin Davis, Morgan Schneiderlin, Luke Shaw, and Jason Puncheon. I think it would be fair to assume that all but Boruc (signed originally on a 1 year deal) and Davis (signed for loyalty and continuity) would be on better terms (vastly so in the case of Schneiderlin and Shaw). I also think it would be fair to assume that many of the younger players (which is the majority of our squad) have wage increases built into their contract as that is quite normal - however, it would be also fair to assume the released players were earning wages which would 'cancel out' that net gain. So conservatively I would suggest our wage bill from that activity alone has a net increase of £100k a week. That would mean an increase in the wage bill of around £5m a year, increasing our wages to £44m.

3. We've also signed Dejan Lovren and Victor Wanyama for a suggested combined fee of £20m. Taking into account their wages (another conservative estimate of £40k a week each) that is another increase of £4.2m a year to the wage bill. That takes wages to £49m a year and in the accounts their transfer fees are spread over the period of their contract so that is £5m a year additional cost that needs to be accounted for.

4. The new TV deal suggest each club on average will receive £25m more. So using the above figures and making assumptions that other revenues and costs stay the same (I've got no fair basis to change them) that leaves us with revenues next season of £90m, costs of £79m (£64m + £5m + £4.2m + £5m), and a profit of £11m. Wage to turnover ratio of 60% again.

But then Damiao. If the fee of £22m is correct and I made the assumption he signed a 4 year deal on £60k a week, that is a yearly cost of £8.6m on the accounts. That basically eats all but £2m of the profit from the bumper new TV deal and it is invested in a single player. With no other clear methods for us to increase revenues other than hiking the cost to consumers of existing channels we're placing all our eggs in one basket. Plus as I've already stated I'm concerned that we'd ever be able to sell him for more than we purchased him, and it does leave any money left in the coffers for anything else without moving players around - unless of course we revert back to being a club that is supported from the owners.

People can probably pick holes in the above but breaking it down like that shows how we'd be allocating nearly 10% of projected revenue to a single player in our squad and I think that is very dangerous for a club at our level.

Honestly - Cortese knows the book better than any of us and would only make that kind of investment if it were financially sound. For starters the transfer fee would not be offered in full up front, I can't imagine.

And that also assumes that it is a 100% upfront fee. It is feasible that there is a lower basic fee plus performance related add ons. These would only become payable upon the criteria being met, therefore it wouldn't be such a hit. I have no idea of the ins and outs of this potential transfer, just throwing another possible scenario in for consideration. I personally don't think NC would risk solvency over one player though. This is purely my opinion and based on nothing in particular.

What we know:

Oh Feckin hell, MLG is going to have a field day with that lot FFS!!

Oh f*ckin hell, MLG is going to have a field day with that lot.

Honestly - Cortese knows the book better than any of us and would only make that kind of investment if it were financially sound. For starters the transfer fee would not be offered in full up front, I can't imagine.

Hopefully we insert a "Forren" clause and pay 1m up front, with another 21.5m to be paid after at least 10 appearances just in-case he doesn't make the grade.

right - so just read the whole of this page and have not the first clue what is going on with the Damiao transfer. I can see that people are having a p*ssing contest - but am none the wiser about whether Damiao is joining or not.

Were you expecting cutting edge inside information?

If so, I don't think this is the forum for you. You should follow some in the know agent on twitter instead.

... this coming from Minty, THE voice of reason ... wow 'Matthew Le God', you've sunk to a new low sunshine.

Yeah, but you can be a voice of reason without being dour and pedantic - I'd like to think I was never that bad! :)