Rickie Lambert - England Qualifiers

Saint-Armstrong

----------Hart------------

Walker Cahill Jagielka Baines

-----Carrick-Gerrard------

Welbeck-Wilshere-Sturridge-

---------Rooney---------

Thats my team anyway. Possibly put Sturridge up top, Townsend out left and Rooney in the hole and one of the CM's drops out, probably Carrick.

More or less what I'd go with, Ashley Cole instead of Baines. Welbeck, Rooney and Sturridge will all float around and interchange positions, so just set them as a generic front 3 and let them get on with it.

I think Lampard and Lambert should be first names on the plane to Brazil (if we get there).

They shouldn't necessary start but to have them on the bench to take penalties and to benefit from the experience of Lampard and the ability to hold the ball up of SRL they would be the sensible subs this summer.

Although saying that getting past the group stage could be tricky this summer relying on the likes of Welbeck, Cleverly and an ageing Gerrard.

IF they arent going to start why would they be the first names on the plane?

In a way don't mind if Lambert doesn't play to keep him fit for us, would be good if he can get on for a bit to get a couple more England caps to his name, having 5 would move him away from the one cap wonder brigade people refer back to.

To put in names instead of players gives sends out a poor message. The fans seem to enjoyed having a few players who seemed proud to wear our nations shirt. Whilst RL is not the premier forward of the group he seems to me to have the pride and enthusiasm to play well for England

As for Joe Hart, he is still by far the best English keeper. The numpty West Ham fanon Talksport was calling for Robert Green to play ffs

Edited by OldNick

under 21s squad

England Under-21 squad: Bond (Watford), Butland (Barnsley, on loan from Stoke City), Long (Sheffield United); Dier (Sporting Lisbon), Jenkinson (Arsenal), Keane (Manchester United), Robinson (Blackpool, on loan from Liverpool), Shaw (Southampton), Stones (Everton); Carroll (QPR, on loan from Tottenham Hotspur), Chalobah (Nottingham Forest, on loan from Chelsea), Hughes (Derby County), Morrison (West Ham United), Ward-Prowse (Southampton); Ameobi (Newcastle United), Ince (Blackpool), Lingard (Birmingham City, on loan from Manchester United), Redmond (Norwich City), Sterling (Liverpool), Zaha (Manchester United); Berahino (West Bromwich Albion), Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Ings (Burnley), Powell (Wigan Athletic, on loan from Manchester United).

Is Clyne injured because I can't see why he'd be left out otherwise? TBH I have no idea who half the under 21s are who is a RB among the lot above?

As for Rickie good for him I think once Roy got to see him close up and see Rickie's personality and ability he realised he was a good plan B. Not sure he will start more of a super sub (last throw of the dice) player....having said that the thought of Lambert playing the No.9 with Sturridge and Welbeck either side of him is quite good I reckon.

under 21s squad

England Under-21 squad: Bond (Watford), Butland (Barnsley, on loan from Stoke City), Long (Sheffield United); Dier (Sporting Lisbon), Jenkinson (Arsenal), Keane (Manchester United), Robinson (Blackpool, on loan from Liverpool), Shaw (Southampton), Stones (Everton); Carroll (QPR, on loan from Tottenham Hotspur), Chalobah (Nottingham Forest, on loan from Chelsea), Hughes (Derby County), Morrison (West Ham United), Ward-Prowse (Southampton); Ameobi (Newcastle United), Ince (Blackpool), Lingard (Birmingham City, on loan from Manchester United), Redmond (Norwich City), Sterling (Liverpool), Zaha (Manchester United); Berahino (West Bromwich Albion), Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Ings (Burnley), Powell (Wigan Athletic, on loan from Manchester United).

Is Clyne injured because I can't see why he'd be left out otherwise? TBH I have no idea who half the under 21s are who is a RB among the lot above?

As for Rickie good for him I think once Roy got to see him close up and see Rickie's personality and ability he realised he was a good plan B. Not sure he will start more of a super sub (last throw of the dice) player....having said that the thought of Lambert playing the No.9 with Sturridge and Welbeck either side of him is quite good I reckon.

Jenkinson and Dier are the right backs, Jenkinson in particular is going to be a very good right back. Dier is versatile and was linked to Chelsea in the summer. I think Clyne is too old now to make the cut. If he keeps playing as he is, he'll be in the full England squad before long.

As for that England U21 team, the future's bright for the full side, as there's a lot of good potential there. Lingard has been banging them in recently for Birmingham, Redmond has started brightly as Norwich, Bearinho has looked brilliant since his U21 debut recently, and we all know about the likes of Zaha, Ince, Shaw and Ward-Prowse.

My tip on those players to be KEY to England's full team in the future though is Nick Powell. Irrespective of his two goals tonight for Wigan, I've been singing his praises since he was at Crewe. He's absolutely class - if I were to describe him, he's a modern Matt Le Tissier. The goals he scored at Crewe were sublime. I've got one eye on Will Hughes too, only 18 but already a Derby regular. Will be a cracking player if he keeps progressing under McClaren.