Rickie Lambert - England Qualifiers

Saint-Armstrong

That may well be the case but a team mate shouldn't single out a particular player as not providing what they want. And how much creativity and support was provided from midfield?

Did he single out Rickie? Really? We lacked a cutting edge up front last night, everyone watching the game saw that. There is nothing wrong with what Gerrard said.

Some people on here are getting far too precious about this.

Nope. I consistently either wanted England to lose or didnt care about the result, but now a Saints player is involved, I am interested. I think that is fairly obvious, and understandable. LOL at this skoolkid concept that its a weakness to change your mind about something :lol:

Failing to see the point you are trying to make, to be honest, although I have noticed that your pithy attempts to destroy fellow posters with your sage opinion and/or barbed comebacks are more and more missing their mark with each passing day. Maybe you should accept that your time has been and gone, and you are getting a bit, well, boring....

And in contrast you are getting sharper and more perceptive every day. We've all noticed.

Rickie did well but was let down by the poor midfield support and lack of crosses. Even at corners they allowed him to be crowded out by not having enough players forward. Suspect Hodgson was out for a draw all along but he was lucky to get it. Anyone know why Wilshire is considered to be adequate for England? Couldn't see it myself.

Did he single out Rickie? Really? We lacked a cutting edge up front last night, everyone watching the game saw that. There is nothing wrong with what Gerrard said.

Some people on here are getting far too precious about this.

Whilst you are probably right if the game, and the team, were viewed as a whole, we all know what the blinkered fans and some (not all) of the media can be like... and that many of them would interpret such comments as implying that SRL was being singled out.

The comments probably weren't intended as such but it's not hard to see that they will be taken that way by many looking for a black/white reason for the poor performance, and perhaps Gerrard should be a bit more cautious in what he says... he should know more than most that things can be twisted very easily.

Rickie did well but was let down by the poor midfield support and lack of crosses. Even at corners they allowed him to be crowded out by not having enough players forward. Suspect Hodgson was out for a draw all along but he was lucky to get it. Anyone know why Wilshire is considered to be adequate for England? Couldn't see it myself.

Couldn't believe how easily Wilshere gets knocked off the ball, mind you I've never rated him as a top top player. As for Lambert well let's say he didn't improve his chances of another start for England, he really is too limited at the highest levels.

Aw, who cares ?

P*ssed off to South America and will be in no fit state for this weekend - again - because of it.

Your opinions really are the biggest depressive element on this site, and for me the author must be one of the most mystifying "supporters" of SFC I've ever read. You don't love this football club at all do you? It's not a pre-requisite but you don't even appear to come close because anyone who loved their club would not publish post after post of unremitting negative gob****e. So you've got it in for Ramirez now because he plays for Uruguay in South America, comes off the bench to make the second goal but will be "too tired" to play next match for Saints? Whats your next gripe? Rickie played two full games in 4 days - one of them "Rick in Kiev" if you hadn't noticed so will he peeve you off as well? What about the rest of them? Lovren, the kids who played in Finland, Maya, Wanyama, Osvaldo, Davis, Boruc? All c&nts too? Where does it end with your non-stop negativity about the team and the club? And you started this season so well- actually watching a match in Austria i think and reporting about it without your default negativity infusing every sentence. I know portsmouth fans without the poisoned antipathy towards Saints that you have - are you some kind of double agent? With your attitude to the club you are better off supporting portsmouth. Then 95% of ALL your comments would make absolute sense.

Your opinions really are the biggest depressive element on this site, and for me the author must be one of the most mystifying "supporters" of SFC I've ever read. You don't love this football club at all do you? It's not a pre-requisite but you don't even appear to come close because anyone who loved their club would not publish post after post of unremitting negative gob****e. So you've got it in for Ramirez now because he plays for Uruguay in South America, comes off the bench to make the second goal but will be "too tired" to play next match for Saints? Whats your next gripe? Rickie played two full games in 4 days - one of them "Rick in Kiev" if you hadn't noticed so will he peeve you off as well? What about the rest of them? Lovren, the kids who played in Finland, Maya, Wanyama, Osvaldo, Davis, Boruc? All c&nts too? Where does it end with your non-stop negativity about the team and the club? And you started this season so well- actually watching a match in Austria i think and reporting about it without your default negativity infusing every sentence. I know portsmouth fans without the poisoned antipathy towards Saints that you have - are you some kind of double agent? With your attitude to the club you are better off supporting portsmouth. Then 95% of ALL your comments would make absolute sense.

Alps is a refreshing change of pace sometimes, we can't all be perpetually cheerful and he does seem to get genuinely excited when the club does well so I feel this is unwarranted. He's supported us for years, his kids support us and attend games as a family when they can if I remember correctly and you really have no business saying this based on his depressing online persona.

Who else would he have been talking about?

He wasn't talking about anyone in particularly, he was just saying that as a team we lacked a cutting edge.

Seeing as 3 automatic starters who play in forward positions were missing, it's an entirely valid point.

FFS, why is everyone so precious? Had Davie Moyes offered a swap Rooney or Wellbeck for SRL, or Rodgers said Sturridge for Rickie, who on earth would turn it down?

Lambert has done well but I don't expect him to be called up again if Rooney, Sturridge and Welbeck are fit. If he does get called up again it'll be a bonus, but he can be proud of what he has achieved and certainly didn't look at all out of place. Last night a draw was good but it could have been so much better if we could pass a ball properly.

Whilst you are probably right if the game, and the team, were viewed as a whole, we all know what the blinkered fans and some (not all) of the media can be like... and that many of them would interpret such comments as implying that SRL was being singled out.

The comments probably weren't intended as such but it's not hard to see that they will be taken that way by many looking for a black/white reason for the poor performance, and perhaps Gerrard should be a bit more cautious in what he says... he should know more than most that things can be twisted very easily.

Exactly that. No-one would disagree that Rooney, Sturridge and maybe even Wellbeck would have added something to England's attack, but the England captain should be more careful in the way he picks out a "weakness" in the side's performance.

The thing is we were so poor last night, even if Rooney or Sturridge had played instead I feel they would have had a minimal impact. Lambert showed some poor touches, and faded in the 2nd half, but none of the other players were any better. Gerrard and Lampard were constantly sitting deep about two yards apart and offered very little. So many misplaced simple passes. Interesting on the commentary Lambert was showing a poor touch, yet when a Lampard did the same it was a case of 'just needed a bit more on it'.Whilst I appreciate their efforts and commitment to their country, they should both retire like Terry did.At this moment in time, I see no reason why Rickie shouldn't be on the plane to Brazil as fifth striker. Of course that could change, but I'm more concerned about him scoring for Saints than being part of another shambolic World Cup next year.

I thought Wilshere, Walker and Walcott were all abysmal. Must be the W's. Rickie was okay, and fought hard, but will still be tarred with the patronising guff all the commentators come out with about beetroot, good model professional, worked way up leagues etc etc. Embarassing amount of awful tattoos on show too. Watch all the 'injured' players come back for their clubs on Saturday.

That's pretty much it though isn't it ??

I'd be amazed if he plays Sunday

So you can't begrudge someone bemoaning the fact that our £12M "Sub me at 70mins" Cortese Superstar, by comparison to others, hardly ever plays for us, let alone "stars" for us

An expensive luxury only Cortese can afford apparently

Okay, I've compiled a round-up...

Artur Boruc - played 90 minutes as Poland defeated San Marino 5-1

Maya Yoshida - played 90 minutes in Japan's 3-1 win against Ghana

Dejan Lovren - played 90 minutes as Croatia beat South Korea 2-1 in Jeonju

Steven Davis - played 90 minutes in Northern Ireland's 3-2 loss to Luxembourg

Dani Osvaldo - played the second half in Italy's 2-1 win over Czech Republic - sealing their World Cup place

Rickie Lambert - played 90 minutes in a goalless draw in Ukraine.

There is only one final member of the senior team squad to complete his international duties before returning, that is Gastón Ramírez.

Gastón Ramírez - Starts on the bench for Uruguay in World Cup Qualifier against Colombia, kick-off at 11pm BST.

YOUTH:

Luke Shaw - played 90 minutes in England U21s 1-1 draw in Finland

James Ward-Prowse - played 90 minutes in England U21s 1-1 draw in Finland

Lloyd Isgrove - played 90 minutes as Wales drew 0-0 in Moldova

I suppose the conclusion must be that all of them will be knackered on Sunday and West Ham will roll us over.

I suppose the conclusion must be that all of them will be knackered on Sunday and West Ham will roll us over.

Yes, it's amazing really. How young, superfit Footballers of today can only manage one match a week. Not like the days of Saints very own Charlie Wayman, when Two matches in seven days was the norm.

Perhaps it's because they didn't have those cumbersome multi thousand pound pay cheques to struggle to the Bank with

The cutting edge that our 100 cap player Frank Lampard gives us..................................his free kicks were rubbish, his header at the end was rubbish (great movement though) & his passing was not great either. Personally thought Rickie was poor second half. Gave the ball away too much, but the whole team can accused of that. Thought Cahill & Jagielka were our best players by miles.

This.

I've never known someone who takes such little joy from his chosen hobby.

What a truly petulant post.

Do YOU thnik Gashton will play against WHam ?

How long do you think he will last, when he cant play 90mins after travelling down the road from a cosy pile in Chilworth or whatever a couple of times a week, with the afternoons off, having endured a ca. 10hour flight from South America (let alone jet-lag)?

Will his performance even have justified him lacing his boots up, or will we at least get the satisfaction of seeing him plant a forearm smash that Mick McManus (RIP) would have been proud of when he cannot keep up with the physicality of the WHam defence ?

Hear, hear. :toppa:

Edited by Toon Saint

More positive reviews

Martin Keown of all people

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2417035/Englands-Kyle-Walker-looked-depth-positives-Roy-Hodgson-Martin-Keown-Match-Zone.html

[h=1]Match Zone: Walker looked out of his depth in Ukraine but there were positives for England and Roy Hodgson[/h]

Rickie's all right

Rickie Lambert does not have the pace of Gary Lineker or the sharpness of Alan Shearer but he has a nuisance value and gave a good show of himself.

There aren’t many players out there who are better at using their body — he gets it in the way to stop defenders heading the ball.

On top of that, Lambert is still enough of a footballer to be a very good link man, even though England spent too much of the second half thumping up long balls to him. The ball generally sticks to him when it is played forward and he coped admirably in a difficult game, better than some of England’s more experienced players.

But Lambert’s game relies on others joining the attack and supporting him and they didn’t enough.

Spot on from Keown IMO. I think to be fair, there is not the widespread negative reaction that many thought there would be, and most of the opinion is quite considered and well-informed.

As much as I hate to say this, I though Rickie missed the runs of Danny Wellbeck. I hope this partnership gets another go.

Lambert did ok first half as the game was a little more open and things were a bit more lively, but the 2nd half he was pretty cr@p and got caught out dithering too often, was guilty of wayward passing and hardly won a header. However, most of the England team were also cr@p in the second half, so he didn't look out of place. But if he turned in a perfomance like that for Saints, we'd all be disappointed. If that had been Carroll on the pitch, the assessment, on this forum, of the CF performance last night would be a lot different. Lambert is maybe OK as an impact player for England, but not as a main striker. Adkins knew his worth as an impact player and maybe Woy will view him the same way, but he will have to fight for a 4th choice striker berth on the plane to Rio (if we get there!).

Hopefully it has given him a real lift though and he should be on a high from it, which can only have a positive impact on his performances for Saints. He knows he has to score goals to put himself in the picture for the summer, so let's hope he starts banging in the goals. But two tough games, the travel and all the hype will have taken it's toll and i think he will play 60 minutes max for us this weekend as he's not used to it. Maybe he will be too knackered to start, solving MP's selection headache by putting DO up front on his own on Sunday? It will be interesting to see who is played.

Do YOU thnik Gashton will play against WHam ?

How long do you think he will last, when he cant play 90mins after travelling down the road from a cosy pile in Chilworth or whatever a couple of times a week, with the afternoons off, having endured a ca. 10hour flight from South America (let alone jet-lag)?

Will his performance even have justified him lacing his boots up, or will we at least get the satisfaction of seeing him plant a forearm smash that Mick McManus (RIP) would have been proud of when he cannot keep up with the physicality of the WHam defence ?

Quite ammusing seeing you call other's petulant but within the same post, calling Gaston "Gashton" (hilarious by the way)

Seems that you are annoyed that the lad gets selected and plays for this country? Pretty bizarre ranting as per usual from our resident chief mouth breather.

Top post. A small element have seen fit to scapegoat Ramirez as they can't seem to look past his price tag and see that he adds to our squad. He was one of our better players against Sunderland. He is young, and has a lot of potential, but yet some people seem to want to drive him out of the club. I find their negatively baffling.

The lack of movement and composure in the midfield was alarming and resulted in too many long aimless balls knocked up to Lambert. Never seen a team pass it so bad in my life.

Milner and Walcot sat deep so Lambert was being asked to then cover the entire last third of the pitch closing down each of their defenders. No wonder he faded 2nd half.

The team was set up to play for a draw sadly at the expense of any half decent attacking play.

Yeah, this. He may not have set the world a light, but some of the team were truly sh*t in comparison.

agreed.

Wiltshire is a top top player in my book, but he had an absolute mare. At least Roy had the balls to sub him. Without his dribbling ability the side looks woeful. We must find more players happy to dribble otherwise we will never succeed at international level. Two touch football doesn't work if that's all you can do.

I don't recall Lampard doing anything at all other than miss the header at the end. Totally anonymous. The sad thing is that the squad doesn't seem to include anyone else who can play at that level.

Walcott ran into people as usual, giving the ball away time after time. Clueless. The trouble is without these little bursts of pace what exactly is our attacking plan?

Walker was positionally a little suspect, but this was only exposed because he was up against a top notch player. I wouldn't write him off. Havign Walcott in front of you doesn't help.

I thought Ashley Cole had a poor game overall. He ball watched and offered nothing going forward. He needs to do more in games.

Why Milner is played out wide I will never know. He's a good player and got his move to City having played CM for Villa. He can't play out wide. So why do we make him do so?

I've rated Welbeck since the Montegnegro game and now he appears to be our saviour.

The lack of movement and composure in the midfield was alarming and resulted in too many long aimless balls knocked up to Lambert. Never seen a team pass it so bad in my life.

Arsenal at our place last season must have pushed them close. The lack of movement was summed up for me when a thrown in to us around the half way line was thrown long down the line for a hopeful flick on. The thrower had no other option as none of the three central midfielders even looked interested in receiving the ball. This sort of thing should never happen at this level.

Not sure if this has been posted, but saw this fair summary in The Guardian:

Lambert starved of service

The Southampton striker had to endure what seemed like endless patronising ahead of the biggest night of his professional life. Yet the truth was this was a move up for the 31-year-old whose England career had got off to a flyer with two goals in his opening two games. By the close Lambert could walk off having returned a display that hardly sparkled but did not disappoint, making the most of a contest in which he was given scant opportunity to add to his international goal tally. He provided a reliable target in the lone front-man role as the ball generally stuck to him whenever aimed his way, and he offered further evidence of the football brain that is required for this level. An illustration of this came when he hooked an astute round-the-corner pass into Theo Walcott that had the Arsenal wide man in on goal.

That's about the best review I have seen on Rickies performance. I honestly don't think if you took SRL out and inserted ANY other forward we have that there would be any more positive outcome - and actually more than likely a negative outcome because Rickie DID actually defend from corners (winning a header away at one) - Defoe could not do that or Rooney, and he did cushion and head and pass to our players nearly 100% in first half - sure so could most of the others but 100% success rate cant be bettered, he could only work with what he was given. In second half not one england player got beyond rickie in attack ever - we lacked players and ambition - so he had to play constantly back to goal passes into a crowded midfield or in crowded positions and ran doggies between their defenders. I'm sure welbeck and sturridge could run doggies better than rickie but Carroll cannot and SRL did enough to keep the ukraine defence honest. As far as attacking intent - despite receiving terrible service from so called ball players in that second half he still managed to show- just like the other strikers would have done to be fair - but at the end his presence was enough to unsettle defenders enough for lampard to get a sniff....downside was he obviously tired the last 20- the younger more athletic sturridge and welbeck would not have tired so much - but they were injured so its a mute point!

IF Sturridge plays for Liverpool Sat/Sunday though id be mightily peeved if i was Roy....

Can't see anything petulant about Giordano's comments. Petulance is your stock in trade. Your comments about Gaston have become so tedious like another poster's comments about Lallana. You continue to spout absolute rubbish about Ramirez the sort that those who seldom watch games (one friendly in Austria) might do. I accept he he has not shown world class yet, but he still shows more class than I saw from 21 players on the pitch in Kiev last night and I believe he will start to show more of what he can do in the coming weeks. There is always an air of excitement in the ground when he comes on because everyone watching live knows that he can (sometimes) bring touches of magic to a game, and thats what we all go to see. I think a lot of people forget that he is 22, slightly older than Clyne and over 2 years younger than Lallana.

The Independant review is way off the mark.

Players who were complete SH1t in terms of holding the ball crossing and making simple passes

Walcott

Wilshere

Milner

Lampard

Walker

Young !!!!!

And Lambert

I think we need a bit if perspective that most of us lack TBH

Everyone you mentioned was equally poor, but from what I saw Lambert had a bad game aswell. The result wasnt his fault, but as I said he was equally as poor as the rest

And Lambert

Everyone you mentioned was equally poor, but from what I saw Lambert had a bad game aswell. The result wasnt his fault, but as I said he was equally as poor as the rest

If I remember correctly you only watched the second half, yes?

And Lambert

No, that's simply not true. He didn't have a bad game. He had a decent game under the circumstances and at times his touch let him down more often than we are used to seeing but that's forgivable in my opinion. When you have little support to help you out you need to try something different to keep the thing and hold the opposition off. I think that contributed significantly to him losing the ball more often than usual (and yeah, occasionally he could have done a lot better).

Add to that the amount of work he got through and the effect that fatigue has on performance and it's perhaps not so surprising he was poor in the second half. As has been said above though, I would also challenge another striker to have played that role much better on that night.

Not a brilliant game from him for sure but there's no way in hell he can't hold his head up.

Agree.

Rickie is not the player who is going to create and score all by himself and if that was the way Hodgson set up, you have the wrong stricker. Rickie is a team stricker for want of a better term, working with others to create and score goals. If those around him are not doing some of the work he will have a worse game. However he brings the best out of other players around him when they are up to the task. His pairing with Welbeck was great, infact that was the first England game where I thought Wellbeck looked like he belonged there. But Rickie is going to be the big man to hold up the ball if there is no one to offload it too once he gets it. This is probably just Hodgsons way of playing. At the Euros i could understand that mentality for the group stage but it was never going to get us through the knockout games.