Rickie Lambert - England Qualifiers

Saint-Armstrong

Poor Rickie is going to be crucified in the media tomorrow :( Can't help us either.

It would be rather pathetic if he was - as I said above, our build up play second half was non-existent. Rickie was worse second half, but there were worse players out there, players who played way below their level.

Terrible match. One of the worst games of football I've ever seen but pleased with the draw.

Lambert was isolated for the majority of the match, and just feeding off scraps essentially. Walcott, Wilshere and Lampard's passing was absolutely woeful tonight and Walker was absolutely appalling, think he'd taken another balloon of laughing gas before the match myself.

Pleased with the draw though, still think it'll be tough to qualify.

I think he will be judged to have done his job fairly well. If Wellbeck had been there to play the ball to he might have had more of an outlet to give the ball to on the few occasions he got it. It's not like England made loads of chances for him to squander.

Don't expect him to become a regular but he may be in the squad and might get a few more caps. Carroll's out for a while.

Still think Lambert has done more than enough to justify selection for the next games, although he will need to produce a few decent games for us in the interim. A far better option than Carroll, who he would appear to be competing with, so hopefully he has shown that in training and in his performances.

On the England front, that showed exactly why in the scheme of things, we are just making up the numbers in in the international game. No creativity, no ability to pass to each other. Poor (and effectively gave Lambert nothing to go on).

To be honest, the warning signs were there against Moldova (and have been for the last 5 years) when we turned over possession shockingly quickly at times - Moldova were just woefully short of quality as you would expect and gave it back to us within seconds, so no-one really noticed.

Poor overall by England - Lambert had a solid first half but second half ended up losing his touch, partly because he saw the ball so little and couldn't get into the game, but he was far from the worst on the pitch, and the primary criticism should be aimed at the poor possession we had in the first two thirds of the pitch before it got near to Rickie. The promise of the first half gave way to a pretty turgid and predictable display second half. Standard stuff for England really - little movement or inspiration and players who should be able to pass 8 yards to each other seemingly forget how to do so.

Pretty much spot on. Rickie did well first half but had little or no support all match and second half barely got a ball into his feet. Wilshere was dire. Needed him to get closer to Lambert and feed off him. Actually think Cleverly should have come on at half time to retain possession better. Our few decent moments came with the ball played into Lambert's feet.

Lambert was absolutely knackard and it won't surprise me if he's on the bench on Sunday. What else could he have done, though? Truly dreadful football and Roy was lucky England weren't beaten. The decision to bring on Ashley Young was a poor one, and it was his mistakes which lead to Ukraine pressure. Walcott's passing and decision making was atrocious. Wilshire was decent. Apart from that, I can't pinpoint anything remotely interesting from that dross.

It proves England will not succeed at a major tournament for a very long time.

Poor Rickie is going to be crucified in the media tomorrow :( Can't help us either.

Really, you think so..... Really can't see why that would be the case. Good first half from him, no worse than most others in the second.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4

Was tough for Lambert as I expected. Still, he's had his chance now that many of us thought would never happen. It's been a great story for sport im general, and I'm sure Rickie will look back on it with fond memories when his career ends, if indeed that was his last cap. I can still see him featuring again personally. If not, it's been a great experience for him.What was more concerning was how poor the likes of Walcott were tonight. Surely the first thing a footballer learns is how to play a two yard pass to a team mate? Shocking

Really, you think so..... Really can't see why that would be the case. Good first half from him, no worse than most others in the second.

First report I can see:

The midfield was dreadful, the wingers anonymous, Kyle Walker was a walking accident & Rickie Lambert was chronically isolated...but the result is king..

I think the teams we're as bad as each other, only Cahill had a decent game for England, and maybe cole and Gerrard. Lambert certainly didn't disgrace himself and nearly notched up another assist at the end. When all the players that can be bothered to play come back into the fold Lambert will get 20 minutes here and there and I expect to see him on the plane to Rio.

What I wouldn't give for Saints to have Konoplyanka in the side. I had him in the HCDAJFU thread in summer, he has pace and skill to burn. Made all of our players look like schoolboys on Millbrook rec. tonight.

Wouldn't mind Khacheridi or Iarmolenko either. Lambert won absolutely nothing against the former in the air.

Woeful passing from players who should be a lot better than that.

Wilshere's passing (especially to Walcott) was very poor....they do play in the same team - don't they?

Not over impressed with Kyle Walker either, .. and as for Ashley Young ........words fail me:blush:

Milner was not as as bad as I expected but still below par,

.......although on the night I thought our best player was Gary Cahill.

All the stories in the build up about how it was a sorry day when Rickie Lambert has to carry England's front line I just think the press will gleefully shout "told you so" from the highest rooftops.

I think Rickie has a future for England, but it may be restricted to the odd sub appearance from now on. If he keeps his Saints form up, he'll stay in contention IMO. He's no worse than Peter Crouch (another player that made his career for England on scoring against weaker opponents) and Crouch went on to get 42 caps, scoring 22 goals. (acc. to Wikipedia, and I accept Crouch had time on his side...)

Terrible match though. England as a whole were woeful.

What I wouldn't give for Saints to have Konoplyanka in the side. I had him in the HCDAJFU thread in summer, he has pace and skill to burn. Made all of our players look like schoolboys on Millbrook rec. tonight.

very good selection in teh HCDAJFU thread. He was the only decent player on the park. Someone big £10m for him but his cub want £15-20m. They might get that now.

hopefully the midfield will decide to pass the ball to a member of its own team in the last two games.

Exactly. Thought Gerrard did OK and the CB's but Lambert had little to work with. Walcott was very poor on the whole and while I agree that Walker was iffy, Cole hardly looked much better.

Sky Sports ratings are giving Ricky a 7. I think that's generous myself but taking the relative scores they've given to everyone else i'd say they are pretty much spot on.

Cahill possibly worth a 7, the rest, not more than a 5, tops. Ugly. Boy do we need a few players happy to dribble the bloody thing and I don't mean like Walcott does - straight into a defender. The only time the side looks comftable is when Wiltshire gets on the ball. But he was terrible tonight, leaving us without a single player comfortable taking more than three touches. We are steadily getting worse.

Can someone tell me what the telegraph said? I can't access the page.

In effect praising Lambert for selfless movement, unselfishness with the ball and recognised he was isolated in the second half while also saying the extra attacking options will be welcome.

All the stories in the build up about how it was a sorry day when Rickie Lambert has to carry England's front line I just think the press will gleefully shout "told you so" from the highest rooftops.
Trying to remember some good points from a poor day, I would say that Rickie was involved in many of the better moments in the game, as previously mentioned especially in the first half. Second half, we got what we wanted, a draw. One more point, if Carroll is picked above Rickie I'll give up, he is a useless lump.

very good selection in teh HCDAJFU thread. He was the only decent player on the park. Someone big £10m for him but his cub want £15-20m. They might get that now.

I would rather have signed him than Osvaldo personally. That isn't a knee jerk reaction based on Ossie's form so far, even if he turns out half decent I'd still rather have someone who can scare defenders like YK.

Thought Lambert did ok with what he was given. The service into him was poor as was the movement around him. Held it up particularly well in the first half when there were runners around him, no hope in the second when they stopped making the runs to protect what we had. Should we get to Brazil, I still think he offers more to the team than Andy Carroll or other so called target men.