Rickie Lambert - England Qualifiers

Saint-Armstrong

Rickie's speed is in his brain - just like Teddy Sheringham - and I make no apologies for continuing the comparison. He is exactly the kind of person who can help unlock a better defence with his weight of pace and awareness of runners. I really do think he can do well.

WORLD CLASS - by inference suggests that (someone) is as a good as any other top player when playing other top international sides. e.g.. In World Cup competitions.

IF.......we get to Brazil and (someone) Lambert or whoever, plays well, assists or even scores spectacular goals against top class opponents we can start using such phrases.

Only Rickie knows what potential he has, and what he may be capable of. We all want him to succeed, and maybe en come to the point where he might be considered a better choice than a Rooney or a Welbeck (in certain games)..fortunately that is Hodgson's Dilemma.

If Rickie continues in his present (international) form, then his career will surely come to an end after the World Cup - as few expected him to be picked now, and he won't be a candidate for WC 2018, meantime.....we can see how he fares in his next game, the future is still the unknown.

I still think his primary contribution will be with the ball at his feet, and I think he'll continue to surprise a few people. The Scotland and Moldova games have allowed him to settle in to the squad somewhat and to gain confidence in his own ability at that level. Now he has the chance to impress yet further. Once again, I have faith in him that, given the ball in the right areas and in the right way, he will produce.

Thank god that those around him won't be saying 'Ah well Rickie, you've done well up to know, but we think you'll struggle tonight. Play anyway, see what happens, but at least you've got some great memories eh?'. He can produce the goods, and I for one am proud to believe in him.

Isn't the game tomorrow night though?

Yes it is, meant to write 'tomorrow night'. My bad.

I know it's tough making comparisons but if Ukraine were in the Premier League I don't think they'd be much more than a decent midtable team. Konoplyanka and Yarmolenko are decent players in midfield but they lack quality in other areas. Shevchenko and Voronin have retired and Tymoschuck is getting on a bit. They lack a decent striker, Devic and Selezniov really aren't anything special.

He may well score the winner against Yookrain. Even if he does, Woy wont take him to Rio if others are fit and available.

If he plays well against the Ukraine and scores the winner then that assures him a place in the next squad rinse and repeat with good performances and he's on the plane to Brazil, yes he needs luck on his side, yes he will need to have a great season for saints and yes he will have to play well comming off the Bench once Rooney et all are fit but if he keeps up his standards he will be in it's his to loose now.

If he plays well against the Ukraine and scores the winner then that assures him a place in the next squad rinse and repeat with good performances and he's on the plane to Brazil, yes he needs luck on his side, yes he will need to have a great season for saints and yes he will have to play well comming off the Bench once Rooney et all are fit but if he keeps up his standards he will be in it's his to loose now.

I really wish this was true. I guess I was simply too scarred by the MLT/England B vs. Russia fiasco.

I really wish this was true. I guess I was simply too scarred by the MLT/England B vs. Russia fiasco.

That's fair comment, none of us will ever forget that, but it's a bit like relationships and many other things in life... if we simply live in fear of what might happen (again) then we'd never do anything, meet new people, do new things at all.

Lamberts turned himself into a viable option, and fair play to him, but he isnt world class.

That he is not World class depends on your definition. Its a debatable point. In my definition he IS World Class. For me, playing international football in the World Cup for England automatically confers on him the tag : World class.

Let me explain: He might not get into the World's starting eleven or even the squad versus Jupiter next week in the Universe Cup ~ but if you start and play for an International team like England in the World Cup that makes you World Class in my book. Does not make you top of the World Class , but you ARE in that category, Unlike the millions of footballers professional and amateur who are not. Some are top of the World class, some are middle, some are bottom. For example, Faroe islands left back - he's bottom of World Class. At least Rickie is IN the class though. You can only be in the class if you currently (if not currently ie this 4 year tournament period then "ex world class" or "used to be" world class must be used as a prefix) play International representative football in the World Cup - the competition which by default lends its name to the defining criteria of membership. He has played and scored in the World Cup for England, (at Wembley no less but venue is irrelevant - it could be San Marino away) , check, you're in the World Class son, next.

Edited by Giordano

I expect the Bristol Rovers mongboard us in meltdown today that no one mentioned them when taking about Rickies rise to the top.

Interesting fact for Bristol Rovers fans:

Google search Lambert+Bristol Rovers = 217,000 hits

Google search Lambert+Beetroot = 453,000 hits

Agbonlahor has been in pretty good form recently but I don't think he's in the squad.

England only really need a draw in Ukraine anyway, as long as they're ahead of Ukraine after this match you'd still expect them to beat Montenegro and Poland at home, though Ukraine have Poland and San Marino.

A win would make it easier, of course, but a draw would be absolutely fine provided they don't completely arse up in the last two matches.

Might be a bit tougher for SRL tomorrow night, he will have to get past the 6ft 6 brick sh*thouse that is Yevhen Khacheridi. We saw how Rickie struggled against big defenders like Samba last season, I doubt he will get much in the air against this monster. Will be much tougher than Scotland and Moldova.

I'd like to see how high that 6'6" brick sh !thouse can jump when SRL curls a 25 yard free-kick over the wall and into the top corner of the net. Let's just hope Lumphard let's him take one so he can show everyone what he's like at striking the ball on-target.

He's a world class free-kick and penalty taker, even if most internet football fans look for tippy-tappy clever sh !t from their players, that rarely end up in the back of the net.

I'd like to see how high that 6'6" brick sh !thouse can jump when SRL curls a 25 yard free-kick over the wall and into the top corner of the net. Let's just hope Lumphard let's him take one so he can show everyone what he's like at striking the ball on-target.

He's a world class free-kick and penalty taker, even if most internet football fans look for tippy-tappy clever sh !t from their players, that rarely end up in the back of the net.

lols absolutely no chance of lampard letting rickie take any free-kicks or penalties!

International football is completely different to domestic football. The pace of the game will be much faster and quite frantic. Add to that the pretty hostile atmosphere that they will be playing in, and the fact that Ukraine will be bang up for the game.

I've seen this "hostile atmosphere" mentioned a few times in the press RE: Why Lambert won't be able to cut it but seriously? Will the Ukraine fans really be more abusive and scary to Rickie than the skates at Fratton where oh yes he scored? Or the nearly 3,500 skates who turned up to scream abuse at a Lg 1 striker in the FA Cup game where again he scored? I think at 31 he's probably past being too worried about a crowd. Here's hoping he scores again and rams this utterly snobbish journalism down a few peoples throats.

Disappointment I can accept, but scarring 15 years later? The only scarring I have from my bike prang a year ago is the visible one above my left knee. Apart from a little reluctance initially on steep descents I sort of got over it. Funny how people handle life's little dramas differently!

Agbonlahor has been in pretty good form recently but I don't think he's in the squad.

England only really need a draw in Ukraine anyway, as long as they're ahead of Ukraine after this match you'd still expect them to beat Montenegro and Poland at home, though Ukraine have Poland and San Marino.

A win would make it easier, of course, but a draw would be absolutely fine provided they don't completely arse up in the last two matches.

I could never imagine Ingerland doing that in a million years!!

:D

Whilst I appreciate the majority see Rio Ferdinand as a complete tool (and I would also go along with that) I do appreciate this kind of media coverage as like it or not parents and kids alike will listen to stuff like this from a celebrity footballer like Rio. My hope is that Southampton will be seen as the premier youth academy for parents to send their kids too who will then be given a fair chance to play for the first team if\when they are good enough. Whilst some may say we are already that but I see no reason to rest on our laurels and pat ourselves on the back. I would rather we push on and become recognised worldwide as the best producer of young players in English football. Words like Ferdinand’s help spread that message and I welcome them.

Whilst I appreciate the majority see Rio Ferdinand as a complete tool (and I would also go along with that) I do appreciate this kind of media coverage as like it or not parents and kids alike will listen to stuff like this from a celebrity footballer like Rio. My hope is that Southampton will be seen as the premier youth academy for parents to send their kids too who will then be given a fair chance to play for the first team if\when they are good enough. Whilst some may say we are already that but I see no reason to rest on our laurels and pat ourselves on the back. I would rather we push on and become recognised worldwide as the best producer of young players in English football. Words like Ferdinand’s help spread that message and I welcome them.

Still bothers me a bit that we have not replaced Matt Crocker. Not having a head of Academy is a bit strange.

I could never imagine Ingerland doing that in a million years!!

:D

They are surprisingly efficient at qualification when they go into the last 2 games knowing what they have to do. It's only Euro 2008 they really arsed up by sleepwalking half a match against Croatia they needed to win, the previous failure for 1994 was a debacle from the start and with two matches left they were hoping San Marino could get a result against the Dutch, which was clearly never going to happen.

Thanks for the link. What a brilliant set of comments. The fans know better.

The English media are hell bent for English failure. I'm sure they they must have worked out on average they can sell more copies/get more visits when they're moaning rather than when we're winning. Sad really.

lols absolutely no chance of lampard letting rickie take any free-kicks or penalties!

Apart from when we reach the inevitable penalty shootout in the 1/4 finals in Brazil. Where he'll miss, and be torn to shreds by the press just as Alpine will have predicted the day before. His resulting slump in form next season will be a major factor in our relegation, leading to the Liebherrs selling to Rupert Lowe, and the appointment of Glenn Hoddle as manager. Still, could be worse. Could be Poortvliet.

And of course Glasgow will have bet on it all and won a fortune

Edited by Chewy
Forgot Glasgow

Ooops wrong thread! :blush:

Well, it looks that way now, I'm sure I posted this on the Rio thread, and clearly I was responding to a comment by you about Rio. Looks like the Mods have been playing around with threads and combining things a bit randomly. Comment still stands though. It amazes me that we supposedly have one of the best academies in the country but did not have a successor to Crocker lined up, and in the meantime the results of our u18s and u21s have started to go pear shaped.

Sunday Phil! If you're not careful you could have spent all Saturday at the beach bar and then slept through the match.

Sunday Phil! If you're not careful you could have spent all Saturday at the beach bar and then slept through the match.

Doh. I KNOW that. I've built the whole bloody weekend around being in Nick the Greek's at 12:30 & in the Mega Store to NOT buy a shirt on Thursday. Me & Mrs D_P will be there! (In my defence it was late when I saw that.)

Meanwhile

Here is a PROPER article about Rickie.

From the Fail & Samuels no less. And it says it as we see it - good input from Woy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2416411/Ukraine-v-England-A-real-test-Rickie-Lambert--Martin-Samuel.html

t is, as Roy Hodgson conceded, complicated. In Kiev on Tuesday, England’s hopes of reaching the World Cup finals in Brazil may rest on the shoulders of a player who we must believe somehow travelled below the radar of every elite coach, scout and manager in the country until the age of 31.Rickie Lambert’s progress is a fairytale; or a vindication; or a cock-up; or an overplayed hand. Maybe a fragment of all four. Soon we will have a clearer idea. Lambert has been magnificent for England so far, no doubt about it..........

Actually worth the read

Thanks for the link. What a brilliant set of comments. The fans know better.

The English media are hell bent for English failure. I'm sure they they must have worked out on average they can sell more copies/get more visits when they're moaning rather than when we're winning. Sad really.

Can you explain what bit of that article demonstrates the media being "hell bent on English failure"?

Seriously, pick a sentence. Or two if you like.

I honestly cannot see what is wrong with that piece.

If an almost indentical article was written about Wellbeck or Andy Carroll people on here would point to it as another example of "the media" overhyping average England players.

Edited by CB Fry

Can you explain what bit of that article demonstrates the media being "hell bent on English failure"?

Seriously, pick a sentence. Or two if you like.

I honestly cannot see what is wrong with that piece.

If an almost indentical article was written about Wellbeck or Andy Carroll people on here would point to it as another example of "the media" overhyping average England players.

I was listening to talk sport this morning where they were taking about this article and having read the comments on here I was expecting a slamming of Rickie lambert. What we got was a perfectly well written article making valid pints. As usual the helmets on here and talk sport express their 'outrage' over absolutely nothing.

Edited by Turkish