Rickie Lambert - England Qualifiers

Saint-Armstrong

Ironically, Townsend was showering him with praise all game, so I was surprised he went for Stevie G for MoTM. Maybe because StevieG was still on the pitch at the end? Maybe because he was just picking the captain. Maybe he was told to pick Stevie. I think anyone could see Rickie for the best player. 1 goals, 2 assists! Certain starter on Tue, and I would suggest should NOT be booking a family holiday next June. Rickie's going to Brazil!!!

I thought Lambert shaded it but Gerrard was a reasonable choice as motm. Contrary to some of the comments on this site after we beat Liverpool last season Gerrard remains a top quality player. Easy game tonight but he didn't put a foot wrong.

Gerrard proved who was king in the battle of midfielders tonight, bossed it and was so composed on the ball, except for one or two of his hollywoods he rarely gives the ball away.

Welbeck, works so so hard, I think thats part of the reason he doesnt get so many goals but make no mistake the kid is a talent, he has all the physical stats plus technically he is very good, needs to work on his composure though, but that comes with age.

And Rickie, pushed Gerrard to the last for the MOTM award and not just because Im a saints fan, but I think RL should have had it, a too game, 2 assists and a goal, plus we all know what Stevie does, what Lambert did tonight was deserving of the award.

Special credit to Wilshere and Barkley, two very special young midfielders

We play a completely different way to England unfortunately.

FWIW I dont care who starts finding the net regularly, we just need someone to !!!

Completely agreed, not even just Rickie, we aren't looking like scoring with anyone at the moment.

Back to Rickie, he was doing exactly what we know he does best, poaching,dropping off, linking the play up.

It was nice that he got a good run on the pitch, so people can put to bed the myth of him being like Grant Holt.

Sir Rickie played exceptionally well last night I thought against what must be admitted was very modest opposition. You just have to admire how every time he takes a step up in the game and his class is questioned, he soon proves his doubters wrong with goals and performances. I loved how after the game a reporter asked him whether it was his goal or his two assists that he found to be the more satisfying (expecting him to say the latter) only for SRL to immediately reply that scoring for England meant everything to him.

We have long loved him here of course, but I suspect he is now one of the most widely popular and respected players in the English game, not perhaps because he is so outstandingly talented a footballer, but rather because he comes across as 'one of us' somehow in a way that few of his privileged and pampered contemporaries can match. That smile that seems so irritating on Joe Hart's face, seems so fitting on his.

Another even bigger test on Tuesday for our man, I doubt there will be a Saints - or England - fan anywhere who doesn't wish him well.

Went to the game and had a cracking view so watched Lambert closely, he worked very hard without the ball, trying to close, trying to find a bit of space. I actually thought England could have done with hitting a few earlier balls to him for him to bring down and bring others into play, rather than always being patient in their build up. Has to be remembered that Moldova were like a League One/Two side, but without the physical presence.

I actually thought England could have done with hitting a few earlier balls to him for him to bring down and bring others into play, rather than always being patient in their build up.

Watching on TV, I thought exactly the same. Find him more and quicker and we'd create more chances.

Rickie was class, Ok the opposition was carp (though they've managed draws against Ukraine and Poland:scared:), but he really couldn't have done much more in an England shirt than he has done. I really thought England looked much better with Lambert playing up front than with Rooney in the team. Just goes to show pace isn't the be all and end all of football being able to use your brain and show awareness can be just as useful as running very fast.

The thing for me was that he looked like he belonged there. Yes Moldova are a weak side and a big win was expected, but so were Litchenstein when Beattie started for England. That night even against such a poor side as Litchenstein Beattie just didn't look like an England player and didn't look like he belonged at that level, lambert did, his touch and control were excellent and the other players trusted him on the ball, something they didn't seem to do with Beattie. His international career won't be a long one but at least now everyone knows he is international class.

Edited by Turkish

Sir Rickie played exceptionally well last night I thought against what must be admitted was very modest opposition. You just have to admire how every time he takes a step up in the game and his class is questioned, he soon proves his doubters wrong with goals and performances. I loved how after the game a reporter asked him whether it was his goal or his two assists that he found to be the more satisfying (expecting him to say the latter) only for SRL to immediately reply that scoring for England meant everything to him.

We have long loved him here of course, but I suspect he is now one of the most widely popular and respected players in the English game, not perhaps because he is so outstandingly talented a footballer, but rather because he comes across as 'one of us' somehow in a way that few of his privileged and pampered contemporaries can match. That smile that seems so irritating on Joe Hart's face, seems so fitting on his.

Another even bigger test on Tuesday for our man, I doubt there will be a Saints - or England - fan anywhere who doesn't wish him well.

well said " CHAPEL "

I should think Rickie gets more " professional satisfaction " from his time wearing an England shirt than many of the " teenage millionaire brat pack " who come from the so-called " big clubs ".

The thing for me was that he looked like he belonged there. Yes Moldova are a weak side and a big win was expected, but so where Litchenstein when Beattie started for England. They night even against such a poor side as Litchenstein Beattie just didn't look like an England player and didn't look like he belonged at that level, lambert did, his touch and control were excellent and the other players trusted him on the ball, something they didn't seem to do with Beattie. His international career won't be a long one but at least now everyone knows he is international class.

This for me.

Lambert looks at ease with the England team,he looks like he's been around for years but more importantly the other England players seem to love him,you can just see the joy oozing out when he scores,the senior players are all over him in the celebrations and that will make his international career,however long,much easier.

well said " CHAPEL "

I should think Rickie gets more " professional satisfaction " from his time wearing an England shirt than many of the " teenage millionaire brat pack " who come from the so-called " big clubs ".

SORRY MODS - duplicated in error.

The thing for me was that he looked like he belonged there. Yes Moldova are a weak side and a big win was expected, but so where Litchenstein when Beattie started for England. They night even against such a poor side as Litchenstein Beattie just didn't look like an England player and didn't look like he belonged at that level, lambert did, his touch and control were excellent and the other players trusted him on the ball, something they didn't seem to do with Beattie. His international career won't be a long one but at least now everyone knows he is international class.

This

well said " CHAPEL "

SORRY MODS - duplicated in error.

Don't apologise.... There was a recent update to the forum that has resulted in slow and duplicate postings. I'm sure they're on the case... ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2414532/England-v-Moldova--Rickie-Lambert-start-Ukraine.html

...There is nothing refined about his game. He is a goal poacher and he’s not interested whether it takes one pass or 100 for the ball to get to him.

...He leaves the mastery and the trickery to others, the prodding passes of Jack Wilshere or the probing balls scorching off skipper Steven Gerrard’s right boot.

:?

The Fail match report is biased to the stupid Wellbeck booking but really makes a lot of the partnership & understanding between Wellbeck & SRL. Hell it even goes so far as to compare Wellbeck to JRod :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2414333/England-4-Moldova-0--match-report-Danny-Welbeck-scores-twice-booked-miss-Ukraine.html

........That should have been the story of the match. Welbeck and Lambert, an unlikely little dream team, combining beautifully twice to prove that hope can emerge from the unlikeliest quarters in international football................

.....The disappointment is that, otherwise, the interplay between Lambert and Welbeck would have been the highlight of the night. No matter the opposition, it was genuinely impressive. Lambert played two excellent passes to set up Welbeck’s goals – as well as scoring one himself – and in doing so made a strong case for inclusion even when the squad is at full strength.

It would be patronising in the extreme to say that Lambert’s influence surprised – Southampton fans have been declaring his talent for years – but there is a temptation to view every striker from beyond the elite as another Kevin Davies, and perhaps Lambert has suffered from inconsiderate presumptions up until now....

Not any more. His pass for Welbeck’s second was perfectly weighted, and while the first may have been a ball over the top, had it come from a player of greater reputation it would have been hailed as a pass of eye-catching sophistication. Either way, Lambert seemed to respond to Welbeck much as he does to Southampton’s Jay Rodriguez and that was a good thing.

The game was comfortably won when Welbeck scored his two, England already two goals ahead and Moldova as limply unambitious as any visitors to Wembley in recent years, yet he took both goals well, particularly as he was no doubt still smarting from the referee’s ham-fisted intervention.

It was the final attack before half-time when Lambert, from a deep position, played a fine ball over the top which Welbeck anticipated, outpacing the Moldovan back line and taking it smoothly around goalkeeper Stanislav Namasco before finishing into an empty net. It was exactly the sort of smart thinking England will need in Kiev, replicated five minutes into the second-half by the same players.

Here was Lambert again, picking up the ball on the left and putting in Welbeck with a perfect pass, the Manchester United man drawing Namasco and lifting the ball over him for an exquisite finish. He now has eight goals in 18 England appearances.....

...A decade ago to the night, Rickie Lambert was an unused sub for Stockport against Port Vale. How football can make dreams come true. Wembley is rarely more animated than when England’s new cult hero finds the net, perhaps especially if he has plied his trade at Macclesfield, Rochdale and Bristol Rovers en route. The nation’s hopes will be pinned on the Southampton striker once again on Tuesday against Ukraine, given Danny Welbeck’s suspension.

[h=4]James Milner[/h] Made a late appearance to save Lambert for Tuesday. Who'd have thought that?

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-4-0-moldova-mirror-player-2256056#ixzz2eBy1cWZy

Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Lolz

The thing for me was that he looked like he belonged there. Yes Moldova are a weak side and a big win was expected, but so were Litchenstein when Beattie started for England. That night even against such a poor side as Litchenstein Beattie just didn't look like an England player and didn't look like he belonged at that level, lambert did, his touch and control were excellent and the other players trusted him on the ball, something they didn't seem to do with Beattie. His international career won't be a long one but at least now everyone knows he is international class.

Yeah I can agree with that, his touch and awareness are just so so good for a player that has little experience at the top level. He certainly didnt look out of place.

Comparing him with Beattie is a bit harsh though, in reality Beattie was a poor player that went through a purple patch with us. His control was always terrible but we set up our tactics the right way, which you say when he went to everton without Ormerod doing all the donkey work and the balls not being swung into the box for him.

Had a great time with my son who absolutely loved it. We were at the end Lambert scored at which was great and awesome (he told me to type that)

Lambert was fantastic. My son had a Saints shirt on and the all the people we spoke to on the train agreed. To be honest I've been fairly apathetic towards England games in the past decade or so but Lambert's presence has changed that completely.

Having not been to an England game for so long I have to say the atmosphere in the ground was utterly terrible. A few half hearted songs, that fuking band, a Mexican wave after 10 minutes. The Family section seemed to mainly consist of the sort of people to whom the football seemed to be of secondary importance, it was a visit to the stadium, buying a half and half scarf or eating hilariously overpriced food that was more important. It was interesting to see loads of families from the Asian community there though, far more than you ever see at club games.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2414532/England-v-Moldova--Rickie-Lambert-start-Ukraine.html

...There is nothing refined about his game. He is a goal poacher and he’s not interested whether it takes one pass or 100 for the ball to get to him.

...He leaves the mastery and the trickery to others, the prodding passes of Jack Wilshere or the probing balls scorching off skipper Steven Gerrard’s right boot.

:?

Great, so they're probably putting him in the ''big lump, grant Holt'' category.

He's more technically refined and aware than other England strikers to be honest. Frustrating that no one ever actually realizes.

Yeah I can agree with that, his touch and awareness are just so so good for a player that has little experience at the top level. He certainly didnt look out of place.

Comparing him with Beattie is a bit harsh though, in reality Beattie was a poor player that went through a purple patch with us. His control was always terrible but we set up our tactics the right way, which you say when he went to everton without Ormerod doing all the donkey work and the balls not being swung into the box for him.

I think the comparisons are apt, not so much as players but the circumstances. Both were saints stars, with huge clamour from saints fans for international honours, both played against poor opposition. One looked an international player the other didnt. Personally I never rated Beattie either, Strachan got the best out of him but like you say as a player he wasn't much at all. I remember being lamblasted on the old S4e site for daring to day Beattie wasn't international standard when they were indignant he was the best striker to ever play Soccerball.

It was another class performance, he has stepped up to the plate again and will be relishing the chance against a better quality side. Quite clearly he is not a solution to England'd long term future, but he offers a different option and right now must surely be considered as an candidate for Brazil next year. Sure, he's nowhere near world class, but his desire and work rate is exactly what many of England's other players have been lacking all these years. The man is simply a legend

Another very pleasing aspect of Rickie's recognition at the highest level is that SFC is now going to become known for not only producing talented youngsters but for developing the talent and getting the best out of senior players, starting with Rickie.

Great, so they're probably putting him in the ''big lump, grant Holt'' category.

He's more technically refined and aware than other England strikers to be honest. Frustrating that no one ever actually realizes.

Worth reading the posted comments, though. People from across the country are recognising his qualities.

If Mata playing for Spain had made the same chances and scored there would be lots of articles talking about the 'magician' Mata was. Even some Saints fans are too blind to see the quality the man has in his locker. Englands attacking game was so much more fluid, the way RL dropped off and made space.

For me Walcott should play the Welbeck role, and let RL do his stuff aka last night in Ukraine. Walcotts pace would be ideal for RL's passing and set up play.

Hopefully RL can play the no 10 role for saints

The head to head between Lambert and Carroll next Sunday has taken on a tasty new significance, with two more qualifiers coming up. Anybody got a spare ticket for Woy?

Hodgson won't be at st Mary's unless rickie pays for his seat in directors box

Cortese will demand Roy's seat is paid for because if Cortese pays for his ticket so does everyone else

Reflecting back on last night, yes, you can only beat what is in front of you but that misses the point that England have so often laboured, looked berift of ideas and utterly unable to unlock and break down even the most ordinary of defences at international level. Rickie lambert provided a spark of composure and quality of delivery that utterly undid the Moldovan defence twice, he perfectly complimented his immediate strike partner and brought out the best in Danny Welbeck while also reacting naturally and instinctively to claim his own goal.

The guy is a perfect fit in our international set up and it's wonderful to see him seize the opportunity.... and to be gaining rightful acclaim for it!

And Rickie, pushed Gerrard to the last for the MOTM award and not just because Im a saints fan, but I think RL should have had it, a too game, 2 assists and a goal, plus we all know what Stevie does, what Lambert did tonight was deserving of the award.

Agreed, and not bad for a bloke who you consistently say is no longer good enough to lead the line for Saints and a man you consistently drop from your team selections yet good enough to be the stand out performer in an international side, weird! :rolleyes:

Reflecting back on last night, yes, you can only beat what is in front of you but that misses the point that England have so often laboured, looked berift of ideas and utterly unable to unlock and break down even the most ordinary of defences at international level. Rickie lambert provided a spark of composure and quality of delivery that utterly undid the Moldovan defence twice, he perfectly complimented his immediate strike partner and brought out the best in Danny Welbeck while also reacting naturally and instinctively to claim his own goal.

The guy is a perfect fit in our international set up and it's wonderful to see him seize the opportunity.... and to be gaining rightful acclaim for it!

England are certainly a better side with him than without. Top performance and brought off after 65mins to save him for the next game!

So pleased/proud I could burst!