Rickie Lambert - England Qualifiers

Saint-Armstrong

Why on earth are you dropping Wilshere?

Came off with a knock yesterday didn't he? They said he wasn't fully fit anyway.

The key is in the wide play anyway, Ukraine are very solid in the middle but can be exposed down the flanks. In fact, I would put Baines at LB instead of Cole.

Came off with a knock yesterday didn't he? They said he wasn't fully fit anyway.

The key is in the wide play anyway, Ukraine are very solid in the middle but can be exposed down the flanks. In fact, I would put Baines at LB instead of Cole.

I'd imagine he came off to be ready for Tuesdays game, surely?

The key is playing your best players, Wiltshire and Cole are 2 of our best players.

No he came off to rest him for Tuesday. He is fine.

a blog on how rickie brings england together and makes them play more cohesively than rooney does.

http://wp.me/p3pzqz-m

roy hodgson will have a difficult decision on his hands when rooney and sturridge are back from injury.

No, he won't. Rooney will rightly play if he's fit. Sturridge is absolutely class and forging an extremely good reputation of his own. Fans and writers of such blogs would do well to heed the words of Rickie Lambert himself, when he said he's just trying to impress, trying to provide a different option to what we already have. And he's done that, much kudos to him.

Agreed, and not bad for a bloke who you consistently say is no longer good enough to lead the line for Saints and a man you consistently drop from your team selections yet good enough to be the stand out performer in an international side, weird! :rolleyes:

It is weird yes, but then we play a completely different way to England, and as I have said countless times, if you want to get the best out of Lambert then we need to change our tactics to suit him. If you want to get the best out of the tactics then you have to drop Lambert.

I know that it is blasphemous to mentioned anything negative about Lambert on here but I am a Saints fan first and foremost and want us to win over any sentimentality. That said I think RL is a very good player and am not targeting him from my selections in any other way then that I have stated above

There is going to be a lot of disappointed people on here when the usual England strikers are fit. I'm absolutely delighted at the fact that Lambert has the chance to be involved and has done so well, but I doubt he will be in Roy's medium term plans. I hope he scores against Ukraine. Keep up the good work Rickie!

There is going to be a lot of disappointed people on here when the usual England strikers are fit. I'm absolutely delighted at the fact that Lambert has the chance to be involved and has done so well, but I doubt he will be in Roy's medium term plans. I hope he scores against Ukraine. Keep up the good work Rickie!

Agree, I am getting more than peed of with TV pundits like Lawrenson, Talksport etc. whilst not being able to find any fault with Rickie, and if that had been the likes of Rooney puting in the performance he has given (they would be creaming their pants in praise, ROOOONEY!) there would be no question of him starting.

Even more peeing me off is the mention of Andy Carroll, what the F has he done to be considred ahead of Rickie. (Falling over cheating CVnt).

Unless you have a top five club's badge on your shirt when you go out and play (well that should count Carroll out), you are not worthy of an England starting role, just hope Roy thinks differently.

What is this anti Rickie underthread to every discussion about him on the TV and radio, he is an option?

Yes he is an option, and currently THE OPTION end off.

Agree, I am getting more than peed of with TV pundits like Lawrenson, Talksport etc. whilst not being able to find any fault with Rickie, and if that had been the likes of Rooney puting in the performance he has given (they would be creaming their pants in praise, ROOOONEY!) there would be no question of him starting.

Even more peeing me off is the mention of Andy Carroll, what the F has he done to be considred ahead of Rickie. (Falling over cheating CVnt).

Unless you have a top five club's badge on your shirt when you go out and play (well that should count Carroll out), you are not worthy of an England starting role, just hope Roy thinks differently.

What is this anti Rickie underthread to every discussion about him on the TV and radio, he is an option?

Yes he is an option, and currently THE OPTION end off.

Top, top class m-boarding. The whole world's media is against us. Rickie Lambert is the greatest footballer ever born and should start every single England game from now until his retirement.

My favourite bit was the rant about England only pick players from top five teams, which quickly turned into a rant about another player who will get picked who isn't from a top five team.

Exceptional.

Top, top class m-boarding. The whole world's media is against us. Rickie Lambert is the greatest footballer ever born and should start every single England game from now until his retirement.

My favourite bit was the rant about England only pick players from top five teams, which quickly turned into a rant about another player who will get picked who isn't from a top five team.

Exceptional.

:lol:

It does make me laugh, Rickie Lambert is now the saviour of England football despite the fact that although he has certainly not looked out of place he was playing against reletively poor defences he now has a new test in Ukraine.

Lamberts turned himself into a viable option, and fair play to him, but he isnt world class.

:lol:

It does make me laugh, Rickie Lambert is now the saviour of England football despite the fact that although he has certainly not looked out of place he was playing against reletively poor defences he now has a new test in Ukraine.

Lamberts turned himself into a viable option, and fair play to him, but he isnt world class.

What is world class? He's playing for his country, there's not much else he can conquer really.

Exceptional.

What i said about carroll was the fact that he was not playing for a top five club and that should count him out, ie. he was an exception like Rickie to the rule, but do feel his name being mentioned as being the reason if fit Rickie wouldn't get a look in.

As for others comments thinking that I was saying Rickie is the greatest etc. and should always play, I thought this thread was about Rickie called up for England again, and we are talking about the next game. The other players are not available and he is the option. Not saying he is the future, whether he should always be picked, but for the next game he is available, the others aren't, so why do some in the media keep on reminding us of the fact.

I laugh every week...most weeks..... when peeps come on this forum and state that SRL is rubbish/poor/unable to play/not up to speed/not prem standard etc

The games I have watched at St Marys ( season ticket holder) or away OR on screen had more often than not shown SRL to be a very good footballer who was integral ( love that word)

part of the side/that days match....Great football brain.

Many times..it was obvious that certain posters...some under 3 different avatars....have not been to the games (if ever?) /watched the game on screen/ have sat on the forum all day

posting rubbish/WUM OR just NIL knowledge of footer.

World class...no....

International class....YES..

Prem class.......YES...and proven almost every game.

Great player and SO glad in our side every week.

Can SRL and Osvaldo play in the same side......absolutely ...YES...both great players.

Well done Sir Rickie Lambert.:)

Edited by ottery st mary

Rickie showed how to lead the line for England in a classy performance that gave the side everything that Rooney doesn't. Rickie is a team player who holds the ball up, brings others into play and generally keeps things ticking over with a great deal of subtle passes. Rooney plays as an individual who chases everywhere for the ball and disrupts the shape of the team. Nobody has a clue where Rooney is going to be whereas Rickie holds his position and provides the pivot at all times. His two assists were absolutely sublime and if Rooney had provided them the press would have been fawning all over him. Simply Rickie is a better player than Rooney at international level but few will admit this including Roy Hodgson unfortunately.

Very good

You do not have to be world class to play international football especially for England, you need to do a job that makes a team function better and I think Rickie does that. Of course he is not a Ibrahimovic but from what i have seen so far he has helped england to work in a system tat seemed to work. Lets wait and see against a better team but in my view the england players seem to function better with a system they have grown up playing and not trying to play like spain which they have not

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2414532/England-v-Moldova--Rickie-Lambert-start-Ukraine.html

...There is nothing refined about his game. He is a goal poacher and he’s not interested whether it takes one pass or 100 for the ball to get to him.

...He leaves the mastery and the trickery to others, the prodding passes of Jack Wilshere or the probing balls scorching off skipper Steven Gerrard’s right boot.

:?

The reporter that wrote that rubbish is on this SS video discussing Rickie this morning.

(A breath of fresh air) http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8912023/a-breath-of-fresh-air

He is the one in the pink/red shirt that is reading his OWN PAPER when Martin Lipton of the Mirror is singing Rickie's praises.

What is world class? He's playing for his country, there's not much else he can conquer really.

No not at all, which is why he is international class and as I said, certainly didnt look out of place. World class ? No

The only World Class players England have now are Rooney and maybe Gerrard and Cole.

No not at all, which is why he is international class and as I said, certainly didnt look out of place. World class ? No

The only World Class players England have now are Rooney and maybe Gerrard and Cole.

Cole is definitely world class and arguably the best left back in the world.

The reporter that wrote that rubbish is on this SS video discussing Rickie this morning.

(A breath of fresh air) http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8912023/a-breath-of-fresh-air

He is the one in the pink/red shirt that is reading his OWN PAPER when Martin Lipton of the Mirror is singing Rickie's praises.

Oh. My. God. That clip is staggering. The guy in the pale blue shirt can hardly string a sentence together. Boy are they out of touch with the public on this. Their seething negativity has made me feel quite dirty! What a bunch of losers.

Cole is definitely world class and arguably the best left back in the world.

M: (Knock)

A: Come in.

M: Ah, Is this the right room for an argument about England’s football team and Rickie Lambert?

A: I told you once – Lambert should be playing for Tranmere Rovers.

M: No you haven't.

A: Yes I have.

M: When?

A: Just now.

M: No you didn't.

A: Yes I did.

M: You didn't

A: I did!

M: You didn't!

A: I'm telling you I did!

M: You did not!!

A: Oh, I'm sorry, just one moment. Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

M: Oh, just the five minutes.

A: Ah, thank you. Anyway, I did.

M: You most certainly did not.

A: Look, let's get this thing clear; I quite definitely told you that Lambert is a big boy’s blouse who isn’t good enough to play for the Skates.

M: No you did not.

M: You didn't.

A: Did.

M: Oh look, this isn't an argument.

A: Yes it is.

M: No it isn't. It's just contradiction.

A: No it isn't. – I never used one of those in my life.

M: It is!

A: It is not.

M: Look, you just contradicted me.

A: I did not. I never touched you.

M: Oh you did!!

A: No, no, no.

M: You did just then.

A: Nonsense!

M: Oh, this is futile!

A: No it isn't.

M: I came here for a good argument.

A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.

M: An argument isn't just contradiction.

A: It can be if you’re a Skate.

M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.

A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.

M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'

A: Yes it is!

M: No it isn't!

M: Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.

(short pause)

A: What the hell does that mean? - No it isn't.

M: It is.

A: Not at all.

M: Now look.

A: (Rings bell) Good Morning.

M: What?

A: That's it. Good morning.

M: I was just getting interested.

A: Sorry, the five minutes is up.

M: That was never five minutes!

A: I'm afraid it was.

M: It wasn't.

Pause

A: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue anymore.

M: What?!

A: If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

M: Yes, but that was never five minutes, just now. Oh come on!

A: (Hums)

M: Look, this is ridiculous.

A: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid!

M: Oh, all right.

(pays money)

A: Thank you.

M: Ah, Is this the right room for an argument about England’s football team and Rickie Lambert?

A: Oh, I'm sorry, just one moment. Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

A: Look, let's get this thing clear; I quite definitely told you that Lambert is a big boy’s blouse who isn’t good enough to play for the Skates.

M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

M: Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.

(short pause)

Pause

A: If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

(pays money)

:lol: so good

Rickie showed how to lead the line for England in a classy performance that gave the side everything that Rooney doesn't. Rickie is a team player who holds the ball up, brings others into play and generally keeps things ticking over with a great deal of subtle passes. Rooney plays as an individual who chases everywhere for the ball and disrupts the shape of the team. Nobody has a clue where Rooney is going to be whereas Rickie holds his position and provides the pivot at all times. His two assists were absolutely sublime and if Rooney had provided them the press would have been fawning all over him. Simply Rickie is a better player than Rooney at international level but few will admit this including Roy Hodgson unfortunately.

****ing hell, are you sure?

Rooney has scored champions league hat tricks, has played his whole career in the top flight, has produced some great performances for England. He is a better international player than a guy who has played against Scotland and Moldova. You say about the 2 assists and yes they were good, but conveniently over look 2 simple chances he missed against the jocks.To throw your argue.ent back to you, what would you have said had Rooney missed those.

The hype on here is unbelievable. RL has come in and played against 2 very average sides, he's looked at home in an international shirt and has done all that can be expected of him. But, Tuesday is a step up. He may make that step up with ease , and look the part, but Rooney has looked the part against top quality defenders. A bit of perspective needs to be applied here. He's battling for the Peter crouch role, with Andy Carroll. He is not and I doubt if he ever will be a better option for England than Wayne Rooney.

Moldova and Scotland are at best championship standard, lets see him against better sides before going too overboard

I could be England manager, easy-peasy.

-----------------HART------------------

WALKER----CAHILL----JAGIELKA----COLE

----------------GERRARD---------------

---------CARRICK------LAMPARD--------

WALCOTT------------------------YOUNG

----------------LAMBERT---------------

I realise we're lacking up front options, but I can still thing of about 300 Englishmen I'd rather see on the left than Ashley Young.

(short pause)

Pause

(pays money)

:lol: Monty Python's Previous Record methinks ?

http://www.mindspring.com/~mfpatton/sketch.htm

Putting my Saints rose tinted glasses to one side, what I like most about this story is, that while newspapers are being overly disparaging about RL, most comments to these on-line stories are firmly on RL's side saying he deserves it, he was top English scorer, he is enthusiastic, etc etc. Certainly his enthusiasm seems to have struck a real cord with a lot of supporters around the country. While we, and supporters of other clubs, all realise that he won't be automatic choice when the likes of Rooney and Sturridge return, I am loving the reception that RL is getting from other supporters (but not the press, who I get the feeling are just waiting for him to fail so that they can beat Woy with it).

The comments on here are what I am on about:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2415149/Do-Roy-Hodgsons-England-hopes-rest-time-beetroot-bottler-Rickie-Lambert-Ukraine.html

I just think watching him enjoy playing for England and the sheer excitement he brings to it is a breath of fresh air after years watching the Shearer and Rooney dipped-shoulders pouting-face moody c*nt behaviour and the "how does my hair look" behaviour of Beckham.

Football is a team game. Good teams are more than a sum of their parts. We need 11 players who give their all like Rickie, not the overpaid tw*ts from the top 6.

(short pause)

Pause

(pays money)

Comedy gold :lol:

I just think watching him enjoy playing for England and the sheer excitement he brings to it is a breath of fresh air after years watching the Shearer and Rooney dipped-shoulders pouting-face moody c*nt behaviour and the "how does my hair look" behaviour of Beckham.

Football is a team game. Good teams are more than a sum of their parts. We need 11 players who give their all like Rickie, not the overpaid tw*ts from the top 6.

If football was won by the best or most expensive players then Man City & Chelsea would have won far more titles in the last few years and FA Cup shocks would never happen.

Might be a bit tougher for SRL tomorrow night, he will have to get past the 6ft 6 brick sh*thouse that is Yevhen Khacheridi. We saw how Rickie struggled against big defenders like Samba last season, I doubt he will get much in the air against this monster. Will be much tougher than Scotland and Moldova.

Edited by Lighthouse

Might be a bit tougher for SRL tonight, he will have to get past the 6ft 6 brick sh*thouse that is Yevhen Khacheridi. We saw how Rickie struggled against big defenders like Samba last season, I doubt he will get much in the air against this monster. Will be much tougher than Scotland and Moldova.

I dont think anyone is under any illusions. I personally think hes had his fun, but the Ukraine game is a totally different story.

Lets enjoy the great memories we already have. I dont personally think he will do any worse than Wellbeck, Sturridge or Shrek would have, anyway.

I still think his primary contribution will be with the ball at his feet, and I think he'll continue to surprise a few people. The Scotland and Moldova games have allowed him to settle in to the squad somewhat and to gain confidence in his own ability at that level. Now he has the chance to impress yet further. Once again, I have faith in him that, given the ball in the right areas and in the right way, he will produce.

Thank god that those around him won't be saying 'Ah well Rickie, you've done well up to know, but we think you'll struggle tonight. Play anyway, see what happens, but at least you've got some great memories eh?'. He can produce the goods, and I for one am proud to believe in him.

Isn't the game tomorrow night though?

Rickie plays in the premier league and has scored against the likes of man city and man utd. Why the hell should he struggle against Ukraine?

International football is completely different to domestic football. The pace of the game will be much faster and quite frantic. Add to that the pretty hostile atmosphere that they will be playing in, and the fact that Ukraine will be bang up for the game.

I don't think he'll be drawing on 'untapped reserves', I think he'll just go out and do what he has done in the last two games, i.e. play well.

What did you mean by 'I personally think he's had his fun' just out of interest?

He may well score the winner against Yookrain. Even if he does, Woy wont take him to Rio if others are fit and available.

I think he will look back with pride on what he has achieved, but at some point it will be tainted with disappointment.

I think he will look back with pride on what he has achieved, but at some point it will be tainted with disappointment.

No offence alps, but I just find it a shame that everything you post about is always linked in some way to someone being disappointed, be it yourself or the team or a player... We just have different outlooks I guess, but here's how I would look at it: Rickie has contributed to England qualifying campaign already, he has a chance to do so yet further tomorrow night, and so when it does come to an end, I'm sure he will have no regrets, and is (already) pleased to have been able to make that contribution.