Wang Jianlin looking at 175m takeover of Southampton according to Sunday Mirror

Matthew Le Tissier

Only of course if there is a willing seller.

Perhaps KL will want to avoid selling if NC is involved.

If someone offered me that kind of money I'd sell a gun to a guy that wanted to shoot me. Can't imagine she'd let her feelings get in the way of a good deal.

Mark my words its more than a rumour . I'm not saying its 100% going to happen but from what I've been told by various reliable sauces is they are going to try there best to make it happen.

Cortese can not stand being second best at anything and he knew deep down he couldn't dominate the premier league under KL control and funding.

If this happens then expect to win the league in 5 years and for saints to be buying players oh a high breed and paying top weekly wages!

Only time will tell. But the jigsaw fits pretty dam good so far

Personally I don't give a monkey's fudge over who owns the club, as long as they run it well and guarantee our future existence. As long as they allow the club to grow and compete at the highest level I'll be happy. Like many on here I can remember the glory days of the eighties, the meh! Nineties and the awful naughties that nearly saw our wonderful football club disappear. :)

Also met with Arsenal and Athletico Madrid's Execs too in the past few months. The guy's clearly into football.

According to this article: http://www.wandaplazas.com/en/2013/lastest_1122/584.html, the Wanda Group has a 'Department of Football Affairs'.

Mark my words its more than a rumour . I'm not saying its 100% going to happen but from what I've been told by various reliable sauces is they are going to try there best to make it happen.

Cortese can not stand being second best at anything and he knew deep down he couldn't dominate the premier league under KL control and funding.

If this happens then expect to win the league in 5 years and for saints to be buying players oh a high breed and paying top weekly wages!

Only time will tell. But the jigsaw fits pretty dam good so far

Thank you for sharing the info MLT

I still can't quite get my head around Cortese just walking away from Saints, so there is probably a hell of a lot in this. He built too much up here to see it changed, and altered.

The next step would be to get some mega investment into this club, the only way we could truly attempt to achieve his actual vision. Maybe this is the plan all along, as no matter what happened, we'd never have achieved what he wanted with KL's money - they'd keep us ticking over, but NC obviously wants a hell of a lot more.

He isn't a bloke to say stuff at a whim, he means it. When he said......''If the family don't share the ambition or the investment, then I have people lined up who would fulfill it'' - he meant it in my opinion.

Goodness me what a shocking article. I was beginning to get a little bit of the old takeover thread excitement until I read that.

Nevertheless, I expect this thread to be at least 5 more pages long by tomorrow evening.

The Mirror article has more to it...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/southampton-takeover-chinese-billionaire-wang-3036588#.UtsUAyg4mMJ

Lol. Its most certainly not picked up from here.

Thing is with this please some people spoil it for everyone by shooting everyone down in flames or trying to belittle them as someone may know something they don't.

I've held alot back and I'm glad I did. You will just have to read it in the paper as to be honest I couldn't give a toss of who's idea it was, who heard it first, who posted it first, bla bla bla.

If someone posts something its for the benefit of everyone. If you don't wish to believe it then just press the red x at the top of the post and move on.

By acting like spoilt little children all you do is stop people from bothering to post who actually may have some good things to post that is worth knowing.

Not all is going to happen is it. Do you think we sign every player we go after???

If someone posts we are after john smith and it doesn't happen they are slaughtered

It doesn't mean there wasn't any truth in it.

This to me would be a dream scenario. I'd always be sceptical of a rich foreign owner, especially from the east, however with Cortese at the helm at least I have confidence that he would look after our interests and wouldn't bend to an owners unreasonable demands.

Regardless of what people think of him (and I understand why people have taken issue with him), sometimes you appreciate having an asshole in your corner!

Having worked with the Chinese on the Mainland for seven years I have mixed feelings about this. I am concerned that we would become nothing more than a status symbol for Wang in a culture where conspicuous displays of wealth are all important. Whereas this would probably mean significant short term investment to bolster our fortunes it would also mean a decline in the relevance of our academy. The Chinese are also not known to be hands off their investments so I think NC is deluded if he is responsible for this interest and believing that Wang will be less involved than the Liebhers. On the plus side we will get to continue playing in red :).

Anymore than this I'm not prepared to put in writing as in another great Chinese tradition this site is probably already being monitored !!

Before we all get excited lets wait to see if there are further developments.

I personally don't buy it anyway and given its only reported in any great detail in the Mirror only works to cement my belief that its nothing more than a rumour.

All we need now is for Cortese to start posting on here as Tommac Mk 2.

You think he isn't? #learntnothingfromlasttimeround.

Of course not NC himself but the PR teams will be around.

Take a step back (again) Way back when we were in Admin, once you got away from the people who wanted to buy a train set and looked at the bigger picture, you have a City Centre location ripe for Redevelopment, you have the possibility of land in a green belt area that only needed some Government planning changes (oh like that's not been going on of late) to give either an Airport Based Free Zone type Industrial development.

It was all stupid pie in the sky stuff because it was a multi-billion pound project at the time of the great economic crash.

But then you find a multi-billionaire property developer who has invested billions abroad.

This DEAL may not go through, God knows that stuff is not easy, but the IDEA that something like this could happen with this type of player is not far fetched. There is the chance for someone with a lot of money to have a hobby (Saints) but make a lot of money around the area (As long as they have the Cojones to look long term and play the local politics).

Canb I book one of the Marina Condo's at the Cement Yard yet?

(Told you to download that Yacht FInding App Trousers) :)

Did people actually think that cortese would just walk away from the club after everything he has started to build?

No. Quite a lot of people on here floated the possibility of a Cortese return on the day he announced his resignation. It's always been a valid theory.

If someone posts we are after john smith and it doesn't happen they are slaughtered

It doesn't mean there wasn't any truth in it.

True. The trouble is, the opposite could also be true. IF someone decided to fabricate a story like this and post it on here, it's impossible to tell the difference between that and a genuine story. Ergo, someone making up stuff can always hide behind the "if it doesn't happen it doesn't mean it was made up" line. That's why it's so easy to be a 'troll' on an Internet forum (not saying you are) - because it's easy to stay below the radar.

I'm a benefit of the doubt kind of chap, so i'm happy to give this story some credence for now.

My initial doubt on this thread came from your opening statement that you has posted about a Cortese meeting in London "a few months ago"... I searched for such a post and couldn't find it. What else am I supposed to do with the apparent absence of the post that you referred to other than raise it as a doubt? That's logical, surely? Maybe dig out the post to which you refer to dispel the doubt?

If someone posts a genuine story then they ought to be happy for it to come under scrutiny rather than get defensive when scrutinised. After all, it's human nature to doubt something that appears 'too good to be true'.

Anyway, as I say, I'm happy to give the benefit of the doubt at the moment as it's a valid theory regardless of where this 'story' was sourced from.

Cheers

Edited by trousers

Can you own two football clubs if they're in different countries? (Not saying I believe it or anything, just curious)

Yes, so long as they don't play in the same competition....so if (IF) we both made it in to the CL, a decision would have to be made as to which team drops out

Wang was on the South Coast on 30th August... http://www.wanda-group.com/2013/chairmannews_0902/447.html

Did we have a home game around that time? Given his apparent love of football and the sunseeker partnership with the club it wouldn't be a surprise to have seen him in the director's box as part of his visit I guess...

Played away at Norwich 31st..

I love all these NC is coming back posts. Reminds me of all those King Arthur legends in years to come little saints fans will be told of the Semi mythical Don Cortese who sleeps somewhere under St Mary's with a band of mega rich investors and at the time of Saints greatest need will emerge to lead Saints to the promised land of the Champions League......

With regards to the rumour if NC left because he felt he wasn't in full control surely he would look for an investor who is happy to let him have full control while throwing money at him I can't see this investor being like that so I'm not sure NC gets much out of a deal like this (maybe some sort of big fat finders fee?). Also part of me really doesn't want my club to be the next Citeh with a horde of foreign stars and millions of plastic fans which being the PL richest club we would no doubt become (I realise I'll be alone in that).