Wang Jianlin looking at 175m takeover of Southampton according to Sunday Mirror

Matthew Le Tissier

I love all these NC is coming back posts. Reminds me of all those King Arthur legends in years to come little saints fans will be told of the Semi mythical Don Cortese who sleeps somewhere under St Mary's with a band of mega rich investors and at the time of Saints greatest need will emerge to lead Saints to the promised land of the Champions League......

With regards to the rumour if NC left because he felt he wasn't in full control surely he would look for an investor who is happy to let him have full control while throwing money at him I can't see this investor being like that so I'm not sure NC gets much out of a deal like this (maybe some sort of big fat finders fee?). Also part of me really doesn't want my club to be the next Citeh with a horde of foreign stars and millions of plastic fans which being the PL richest club we would no doubt become (I realise I'll be alone in that).

Or is he prepared to not being the man that decides everything but he wanted an owner that has the same ambition that he does?

I can see him wanting to splash cash and therefor also want an owner with the same mindset...

I love all these NC is coming back posts. Reminds me of all those King Arthur legends in years to come little saints fans will be told of the Semi mythical Don Cortese who sleeps somewhere under St Mary's with a band of mega rich investors and at the time of Saints greatest need will emerge to lead Saints to the promised land of the Champions League......

With regards to the rumour if NC left because he felt he wasn't in full control surely he would look for an investor who is happy to let him have full control while throwing money at him I can't see this investor being like that so I'm not sure NC gets much out of a deal like this (maybe some sort of big fat finders fee?). Also part of me really doesn't want my club to be the next Citeh with a horde of foreign stars and millions of plastic fans which being the PL richest club we would no doubt become (I realise I'll be alone in that).

Just imagine for one minute IF we could be as rich as Citeh but kept say half the team as Academy Graduates? If we REALLY became the new Barca?

I like the "dream" of being the club that changed things...... (As if )

Or is he prepared to not being the man that decides everything but he wanted an owner that has the same ambition that he does?

I can see him wanting to splash cash and therefor also want an owner with the same mindset...

OR, he has had 4 or 5 takeover deals arranged over his time here but KL would not accept them, had strings or wanted too much?

This time he is trying a different tactic to push one through?

IF NC comes back it will be to complete his work and that means the string of academy talent will continue and we will be watching home grown youngsters form the backbone of Saints and England, that was the project. No need to worry about a flood of Citeh style foreign stars, that isn't the project. But will he be able to get back? I hope so.

Who knows if there's any truth in what the Mirror and, to a lesser extent the a Express have reported (although it's interesting that this didn't come through Cortese's favourite channels). But it'll keep us all feverishly hitting refresh on our news aggregator feeds and on here for the coming months and speculating about earlobes.

FWIW I'm just as firmly on the fence about whether I'd want to be a kind of new Citeh. I'd doubtless enjoy the winning and outbidding Man Utd for players (imagine how much it'd wind up their smug 'supporters) but wonder if it'd all feel a little hollow. I could probably live with it when sitting in the San Siro on a Champions League night while seeing that, back in the Blue Square Prem, Wokingham Town had just taken the lead against the sleepiest of giants in 'their Cup Final'

Former Saints hero Matt Le Tissier – not one of Cortese’s biggest fans – would also be interested but is unlikely to be able to raise the sort of money the Liebherrs want.

:mcinnes:

We he has the business acumen ,Celebration Plaza and the Pinnacle Group.

After all the sensationalist crap thats been in the press the last few days its hard to be too bothered by a Sunday Mirror article.

If this guy is interested could NC not have stayed at the club to broker the deal?

Exactly. If the deal was imminent and brokered by Cortese with him planning to stay as Chairman, why leave? He could have stayed and prepared the club for the change of ownership, especially where KL publicly announced she would have liked him to stay.

Cortese's leaving remains a strange (and unexplained) affair and this news (if true) makes it even more so.

Exactly. If the deal was imminent and brokered by Cortese with him planning to stay as Chairman, why leave? He could have stayed and prepared the club for the change of ownership, especially where KL publicly announced she would have liked him to stay.

Cortese's leaving remains a strange (and unexplained) affair and this news (if true) makes it even more so.

Does him leaving lower the value of the club? She is desperate to sell and now in the public domain....just a thought!

Could it have been to avoid any potential clash of interests?

Does him leaving lower the value of the club? She is desperate to sell and now in the public domain....just a thought!

Could it have been to avoid any potential clash of interests?

Both are plausible, however unlikely IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Cortese to come back with a powerful financial backer looking to invest into making the club one of the best of the league. That's the only way for Cortese's plan for CL participation and challenging for the title to come to fruition.

Fingers crossed.

True. The trouble is, the opposite could also be true. IF someone decided to fabricate a story like this and post it on here, it's impossible to tell the difference between that and a genuine story. Ergo, someone making up stuff can always hide behind the "if it doesn't happen it doesn't mean it was made up" line. That's why it's so easy to be a 'troll' on an Internet forum (not saying you are) - because it's easy to stay below the radar.

I'm a benefit of the doubt kind of chap, so i'm happy to give this story some credence for now.

My initial doubt on this thread came from your opening statement that you has posted about a Cortese meeting in London "a few months ago"... I searched for such a post and couldn't find it. What else am I supposed to do with the apparent absence of the post that you referred to other than raise it as a doubt? That's logical, surely? Maybe dig out the post to which you refer to dispel the doubt?

If someone posts a genuine story then they ought to be happy for it to come under scrutiny rather than get defensive when scrutinised. After all, it's human nature to doubt something that appears 'too good to be true'.

Anyway, as I say, I'm happy to give the benefit of the doubt at the moment as it's a valid theory regardless of where this 'story' was sourced from.

Cheers

Good stuff, I've also wasted 10 minutes of my life looking through my posts and can't see it? Would it still be there if the post was deleted?

I was sure I posted that in a thread pro cortese and was once again slaughtered which I take great pleasure and amusement in !

Maybe I dreamt it

Good stuff, I've also wasted 10 minutes of my life looking through my posts and can't see it? Would it still be there if the post was deleted?

I was sure I posted that in a thread pro cortese and was once again slaughtered which I take great pleasure and amusement in !

Maybe I dreamt it

disgusting all them people that was jumping down ur throat when you broke this news MLT! Prop best to keep further exciting ITK developments just for trusted pm bros like me + glasgow

It would be a huge conflict of interests.

How could KL be sure she was getting best value?

Cortese would not only be the seller but also the purchaser.

Sounds about right really. If there's any truth in the rumours that Cortese may act for a potential buyer then there's no way he could stay on whilst doing it.

Sounds good ? If they'd really have wanted him to stay then he probably would have done, on his terms of course ie the club not being sld in the next 2 or 3 years and continued investment to propel us towards the CL.

Sure, but that doesn't fit with the "Chinese billionaire led by Cortese waiting just behind the corner to pump millions into Saints" rumour we are discussing here.

Sure, but that doesn't fit with the "Chinese billionaire led by Cortese waiting just behind the corner to pump millions into Saints" rumour we are discussing here.

But then we need to go back to a Cortese statement from a couple of years back. The jist of the affair was that the club wasn't for sale but as dark forces were insistant on spreading it around that it was then he knew people who'd be pleased enough to buy the club. It depends largely on what view you take, as I could well believe that the owner wants to liquidate her asset then it would seem to me that this scenario is now in motion. Saying they really wanted him to stay was just for the soundbite unless they were prepared to comply with his terms...ie not selling the club.

disgusting all them people that was jumping down ur throat when you broke this news MLT! Prop best to keep further exciting ITK developments just for trusted pm bros like me + glasgow

Surely Glasgow would have been the first to know Bearsy? You know, being all ITK and all that? Maybe he just forgot to PM you.

i spose if cortese could not satisfy KL then it makes sense to get a bigger Wang. Is it true that our Wang would be the biggest in the league? Imagine the damage we could do with a massive Wang! i have boner just thinking bout it.

I've got a feeling if this goes through there will be massive Wang envy throughout the league.

If this comes off we could be competing with Man City and Chelsea, Cortese's ambition and Jianlin Wang's resources would be quite a combination.

If we got to that stage then the likelihood is that NC & Wang will want a manager proven at that "next level" , so expect MP's days to be numbered, and await Pep Guadiola or Jurgen Klopp's arrival.

We are only assuming Wang would stick with NC of course, as he has no experience of a club of that size on the European/world stage.

This to me would be a dream scenario. I'd always be sceptical of a rich foreign owner, especially from the east, however with Cortese at the helm at least I have confidence that he would look after our interests and wouldn't bend to an owners unreasonable demands.

Regardless of what people think of him (and I understand why people have taken issue with him), sometimes you appreciate having an asshole in your corner!

Really ? Protect our - as in the supporters - interests ?

Wonder if you'll still be saying that wnen ticket prices are £60 a time, £80 for the CL matches.

Could the removal of stripes have been part of Cortese's Machiavellian plan?

That way when he quit and got new owners while simultaneously manipulating the media against KL, the new owner could come in and bring back both NC and stripes - instant fan support!

Oh dear not sure I like the sound of this. Far East owners don't sound good no matter how much money they have.

On the Chinese mongboards, theyre discussing whether he would be another Tan.

Tan and Wang are very different characters, built their businesses in very different ways and have very different ambitions. Wang wants to build a genuine multinational company with all the constraints this entails whereas Tan is a just very rich local business man.

Edited by shurlock

No sh1t - are you saying a Malaysian and a Chinese man are not the same and wouldn't run their football clubs in the same way? Good delving.

Well they're the ones who are actively making the comparison, not some benighted Westerner from deepest, most inbred part of Hampshire.

Tan is of Chinese origin and plenty have suggested -the author Joe Studwell being the best example- how the South East Asian diaspora is a blueprint for how entrepreneurs on the mainland, though largely in the south of the country, run and look at their businesses.

You're out of your depth on this one, sunshine.