Wang Jianlin looking at 175m takeover of Southampton according to Sunday Mirror

Matthew Le Tissier

No never seen anyone mention that name at least twice in any posts since last week cannot be true

That has to be a crock of Schitz mate

Edited by dubai_phil

So what started as the figment of one poster's imagination is now the figment of many posters' imagination. Outside this magic circle, there are no quotes, no evidence, nada - just some unsourced newspaper gossip, possibly pilfered from here. Even the Paul Allen fantasy had more going for it than this.

Having done some work with Sunseeker around the summer/aurumn of last year, it was clear to me that they mean business and arent out to assest strip and run a business with the engine running on fumes. They came into Sunseeker and looked at the whole picture of things from top to bottom, the supply chain, effectiveness of production and they cleared out a lot of deadwood ( lazy management) and hired a new team to replace them which i now understand is leading them to a healthier balance sheet ultimately and massively improved the production timescales of the business.

If they look at saints with a microscope and bring in some key staff on and off the pitch, then im all for it!

So what started as the figment of one poster's imagination is now the figment of many posters' imagination. Outside this magic circle, there are no quotes, no evidence, nada - just some unsourced newspaper gossip, possibly pilfered from here. Even the Paul Allen fantasy had more going for it than this.

In that Leon Crouch actually said so and yet Paul Allen denied any personal knowledge of the affair. Weren't we led up the garden path by some impostor or other ? Perhaps that's the case again, who knows.

The journalist that wrote the Mirror story...

Peter White@peterwhite_19m

@SundaySupp Managed to ignore Sunday Mirror story on Saints then guys! Smacks of a bit of jealousy? #saintsfc

He's a freelancer, and he's not too careful with his tweets either. Ho-hum

Article was co-writen with Dave Kidd the Sunday Mirror's chief sports writer.

sjkv.png

Edited by Matthew Le God

Maybe the Lotus F1 team sponsorship rumours simply had the wrong F1 team. Maybe we fell out with Red Bull and they pulled out of the deal.

Then again, maybe not.

Well seeing as they're a bit skint and couldn't even pay Raikonnen last season until he walked out on them for the last 2 GPs

I'd doubt any Lotus FI team sponsorship for anything. They've had to hire a crazy rich boy cast off from McClaren or something for next season to make ends meet haven't they?

Ah good. I'll order in some more Red Bull so I can stay up all night and join the speculation into what the next speculation will be

Look what you started in the cooments below.

@bigadamsport: I'm informed that Cortese-Chinese consortium #saintsfc takeover story is well wide of the mark

Wonder what Big Adam's sources are. Hope its better placed than a brief chat with the proprietor whilst on a stop off in a Chinese takeaway before he reached home last night.

Wonder what Big Adam's sources are. Hope its better placed than a brief chat with the proprietor whilst on a stop off in a Chinese takeaway before he reached home last night.

And would the source inside the club be so stupid to give anything away at this moment if there is substance in it?

Well seeing as they're a bit skint and couldn't even pay Raikonnen last season until he walked out on them for the last 2 GPs

I'd doubt any Lotus FI team sponsorship for anything. They've had to hire a crazy rich boy cast off from McClaren or something for next season to make ends meet haven't they?

Depends on what you read. Lotus F1 are owned by Genii Capital. Lotus F1's debts are reported to be in the form of loans from Genii Capital. Their problems in paying Raikkonen were from a financial deal with Quantum not going through from what they claim is down to embargoes on large amounts of money from the Middle East to western accounts. They have plugged he hole in the finances by bringing in Maldonado from Williams and his £30million PVDSA sponsorship deal. The other elements of Genii capital are reported to be in good financial health.

But anyway, I wouldn't want either Red Bull or Lotus on our shirts or owning us.

Edited by doubleonothing

In that Leon Crouch actually said so and yet Paul Allen denied any personal knowledge of the affair. Weren't we led up the garden path by some impostor or other ? Perhaps that's the case again, who knows.

Think it was a few of them as I recall, Tommac & Helpmerhondda spring immediately to mind. Perhaps there were a consortium of them. Must be a collective noun for a group of imposters on a m.board, a "b^ll**** of imposters" perhaps ?

@bigadamsport: I'm informed that Cortese-Chinese consortium #saintsfc takeover story is well wide of the mark

If his source is just asking one of the media department at the club then I fail to see how they would know the future intentions of a Chinese property developer. Even if talks were underway, Liebherr wouldn't be giving details to the club's media department, let alone letting them discuss details of a potential sale.

One thing for sure anybody looking to buy Saints will have to be very rich or willing to borrow loads against the assets. The dream versus the nightmare. We still don't know it's definitely for sale. I think Cortese has probably let his control mania get in the way of a decent compromise. Even if it is for sale there would be no guarantee the new owner/s would want him on his terms.

@alex_crook: People I have spoken to re: Wang Jianlin takeover reports say Nicola Cortese has no interest in retunring to #saintsfc

This is Alex Crook who was gloating on twitter about his "Meltdown" piece in the mirror last week. The bloke is such a poor excuse for a journo, an absolute joke. Surely people don't believe a word this idiot has to say. A disgrace to even the red tops!

@alex_crook: People I have spoken to re: Wang Jianlin takeover reports say Nicola Cortese has no interest in retunring to #saintsfc

This is Alex Crook who was gloating on twitter about his "Meltdown" piece in the mirror last week. The bloke is such a poor excuse for a journo, an absolute joke. Surely people don't believe a word this idiot has to say. A disgrace to even the red tops!

He probably spoke to Dalian Wanda in person !!!! or so he might claim. ;)

Can this be locked before it reaches Allenesque levels of embarrassment?

Agree- cannot see how the Mirror would have credibly got this story. Isn't White on Twitter - sure he's unable to field questions.

Another bout of mboard wishful thinking.

The author of the Daily Mirror article, Peter White has now asked Adam Blackmore for the source of his claim that it is wide of the mark. They follow each other on Twitter and may know one another in media circles at St Mary's.

Adam Blackmore@bigadamsport59m

I'm informed that Cortese-Chinese consortium #saintsfc takeover story is well wide of the mark

Peter White@peterwhite_111m

@bigadamsport: I'm informed that Cortese-Chinese consortium #saintsfc takeover story is well wide of the mark”source mate?

Here's a theory (that I haven't really thought through, so could be my usual tosh)....

IF Cortese was involved in a bid by Wang, COULD there be a reason why he would want to keep his involvement as secret as possible until the takeover was complete? The only reason I can think why he would need to maintain secrecy would be if he had had a really spectacular fallout with the Liebherrs and they have refused point blank to have any further dealings with him.

So, for him to mastermind a comeback he would have to do it incognito. (Yes, I know that shoots down the common wisdom that the Liebherrs are rational business people and wouldn't let a clash of characters affect how they did business if the deal was right, and that it also contradicts the "I didn't want Cortese to leave" statement by Katharina, but...)

So, what I'm getting around to saying is that the longer that Cortese's media mouthpieces (Ben Smith and Neil Ashton) don't latch onto the Wang story themselves then the more believable the story actually is. Think about it... why would the two journos who have been publishing Cortese 'exclusives' over the last few months not even mention this Wang story in passing? Even if it's complete fabrication you'd have thought that they would run an item along those lines, given they supposedly have Cortese at the end of the phone.

IF the "Cortese + Wang" stories are true, I wouldn't expect anything to appear on the BBC (Ben Smith) and Daily Mail (Neil Ashton) websites any time soon. To repeat my question, why would two journos who have been writing story after story about Saints over the last few months not pick up on this one, if only to debunk it?

Reverse psychology rules OK :)

Edited by trousers

Personally I don't give a monkey's fudge over who owns the club, as long as they run it well and guarantee our future existence. As long as they allow the club to grow and compete at the highest level I'll be happy. Like many on here I can remember the glory days of the eighties, the meh! Nineties and the awful naughties that nearly saw our wonderful football club disappear. :)

Agreed, I just have this gut feeling (and I'm a BFB) that we'll be expected to progress too fast and end up getting dropped, like a broken toy. I'm being careful what I wish for as, I'm sure many will agree, we don't want a Vincent Tan here! The Liebherrs and NC (for all his flaws) have spoiled us fans in my opinion. Still, we have no real control, so let's rally behind the owner and hope that we move in a positive direction . Come On You Saints!

Here's a theory (that I haven't really thought through, so could be my usual tosh)....

IF Cortese was involved in a bid by Wang, COULD there be a reason why he would want to keep his involvement as secret as possible until the takeover was complete? The only reason I can think why he would need to maintain secrecy would be if he had had a really spectacular fallout with the Liebherrs and they have refused point blank to have any further dealings with him.

So, for him to mastermind a comeback he would have to do it incognito. (Yes, I know that shoots down the common wisdom that the Liebherrs are rational business people and wouldn't let a clash of characters affect how they did business if the deal was right, and that it also contradicts the "I didn't want Cortese to leave" statement by Katharina, but...)

So, what I'm getting around to saying is that the longer that Cortese's media mouthpieces (Ben Smith and Neil Ashton) don't latch onto the Wang story themselves then the more believable the story actually is. Think about it... why would the two journos who have been publishing Cortese 'exclusives' over the last few months not even mention this Wang story in passing? Even if it's complete fabrication you'd have thought that they would run an item along those lines, given they supposedly have Cortese at the end of the phone.

IF the "Cortese + Wang" stories are true, I wouldn't expect anything to appear on the BBC (Ben Smith) and Daily Mail (Neil Ashton) websites any time soon. To repeat my question, why would two journos who have been writing story after story about Saints over the last few months not pick up on this one, if only to debunk it?

Reverse psychology rules OK :)

Or: it's all utter tosh.

Blackmore is a good source. I will trust him on this one.

Doesn't really make sense unless you know where Blackmore got his information. I think its unlikely to have stretched further than asking the Saints media department. I fail to see how they would know the future intentions of a Chinese property developer. Even if talks were underway, Liebherr wouldn't be giving details to the club's media department, let alone letting them discuss details of a potential sale.

Blackmore is a good source. I will trust him on this one.

He's safe and reliable but very much your shut-the-stable-doors-after-the-horse-has-bolted type journo - can't remember him getting any real scoops.

Edited by shurlock

I've just seen Dalian Wanda in West Quay. He was buying some Satsuma Body Mist and some shower gel (didn't see what type) and something else which I couldn't see at all (there was a 3 for 2 offer). It was definitely Dalian Wanda because I saw his name on his bank card (wish I'd seen his pin number LOL!).

Make of all that what you will.

Press Association Sport also saying wide of the mark

Do you have a link?

I wonder if the PA have stretched beyond asking the club's media department about the potential takeover of the company. Even if the rumours were true, it is unlikely Saints media department would confirm them or even know about the intentions someone looking to buy the club.

That lot down the M27 are jealous of Saints as it is so can you imagine what they would be like if this all turned out to be true and actually happened ?:lol::lol:.

Saints become the richest club in world, just as they are embarking on their great adventure in the Skrill Conference……….

Anyone have any idea if Chinese media have picked up on this rumour?

Yes the major outlets are but they're all reporting the Mirror story pretty much ad verbatim. No new details are provided though some are suggesting Poch knows about the bid and is a reason for him staying which ould be *******

http://sports.sina.com.cn/g/pl/2014-01-19/12106987610.shtml

http://news.xinhuanet.com/sports/2014-01/19/c_126026518.htm

http://sports.163.com/14/0119/10/9IUQMT0G00051CCL.html#p=8G635JRV0B6P0005

http://www.espnstar.com.cn/pub/international/2014/0119/311420.htm

Edited by shurlock

Do you have a link?

I wonder if the PA have stretched beyond asking the club's media department about the potential takeover of the company. Even if the rumours were true, it is unlikely Saints media department would confirm them or even know about the intentions someone looking to buy the club.

Doesn't really make sense unless you know where Blackmore got his information. I think its unlikely to have stretched further than asking the Saints media department. I fail to see how they would know the future intentions of a Chinese property developer. Even if talks were underway, Liebherr wouldn't be giving details to the club's media department, let alone letting them discuss details of a potential sale.

If his source is just asking one of the media department at the club then I fail to see how they would know the future intentions of a Chinese property developer. Even if talks were underway, Liebherr wouldn't be giving details to the club's media department, let alone letting them discuss details of a potential sale.

Jesus Christ, MLG. Blackmore's source is almost certainly Cortese or someone very close.

You realise your hero who you used to pretend did his business "properly" and "privately" has spent the last week blabbing to anyone who will listen in the press like an evicted Celebrity Big Brother housemate.