Interim CEO Appointed

The Hoff

I've had dealings with Gareth prior to him joining the club, and he's pretty good at what he does. CEO of a football club however, not too sure...

No, this is a brilliant and shrewed move by Kit Kat, it's only interim and you don't even need anyone that good to come in and replace the rat faced weasel. Anyone who doesn't share this view is a div.

Reckon John Williams is out of the running - the way it was being reported over the weekend suggests that the notice period wasn't a bar to his appointment.

Pretty sure they intended to hire somebody but couldnt settle on the right candidate. It's also not uncommon for orgabisations to announce a successor even when theyre out serving out their notice.

Reckon John Williams is out of the running - the way it was being reported over the weekend suggests that the notice period wasn't a bar to his appointment.

Pretty sure they intended to hire somebody but couldnt settle on the right candidate. It's also not uncommon for orgabisations to announce a successor even when theyre out serving out their notice.

It was only being reported in the press, they print whatever it suits them to print.

No, this is a brilliant and shrewed move by Kit Kat, it's only interim and you don't even need anyone that good to come in and replace the rat faced weasel. Anyone who doesn't share this view is a div.

You seem really wound up by this....relax there is bugger all you can do about ....the worst that can happen is we pass Pompey on the way - which will happen eventually anyway.

Did you go Wilde?

It was only being reported in the press, they print whatever it suits them to print.

It was Big Adam whose utter dullness and banality as a source of news is more than redeemed by his impeccable reliability and accuracy.

It's only divs on here who misattribute things to him.

Edited by shurlock

Well indeed. Before anyone judges the decision, let's just see how it transpires. If it goes poorly, then the fans will have recourse.

My thought is that for the time being they want to provide stability and carry on the work that was started by Cortese. It's effectively 'business continuation', which limits the damage and enables a company to continue with a similar ethos, working practices etc whilst a decision is made on a new strategic solution.

You seem really wound up by this....relax there is bugger all you can do about ....the worst that can happen is we pass Pompey on the way - which will happen eventually anyway.

Did you go Wilde?

Those rejoicing about how good all the changes have been over the last week have a touch of gone Wilde about them.

One fluffy statement, a tweet about injuries, a hockey coach and an agent to lower league Austrian footballers on the board and now an interim CEO who on paper is suspect and we have created a new breed of happy clappers who can't seem to get enough of it all.

Those rejoicing about how good all the changes have been over the last week have a touch of gone Wilde about them.

One fluffy statement, a tweet about injuries, a hockey coach and an agent to lower league Austrian footballers on the board and now an interim CEO who on paper is suspect and we have created a new breed of happy clappers who can't seem to get enough of it all.

Except Wilde was an ownership change. This isn't.

Nothing of any significance has actually changed.

One week ago we had a mass exodus, manager resigning, dream over, firesale, no more academy to promote to first team, can you not see some are just a bit relieved that all that was just complete rubbish and will accept what comes out could be good?

Just maybe getting info out of the club has swung it, compared to the last 3 years we haven't had much so can see why.

The key is in the word interim....how long is that period is the key so cant see why you have gone on the other end of the seesaw thats just as bad in my book - wrist slitter or shall we call you Hayley :-).

So what would you have realistically wanted to see and hear in this week? That she'll be spending £100m on a push for the Champions League? If we believe the bits that we've heard, she tried keeping hold of NC until pretty late on, the club can't make offers for any other CEOs while our existing one wasn't definitely leaving.

Dont deflect onto what I should or would have done, she is he one in charge of our club and who knew that 3 months in advance that we would need someone to replace Cortese.

Deflection aside I would have stated the intention of the club was, she has given us youth and stability which is sort of so obvious its unreal, and people think that a groundbreaking piece of work.

Businesses the world over would have the Finance Director to step in if the CEO stood down unexpectedly/suddenly/died.

Pretty standard practice.

But quite lovely to see the assorted divs on here getting excited/belittling/sneering/forecasting doom.

Bless you all.

Good luck Gareth, although barely needed as you are filling in for someone utterly replaceable.

Thats because in most business's the finance director is the 2nd in command. Dont FD's have to move every 3 odd years as well due to financial regulation?

National coverage largely started and fuelled by Cortese and the PR team. Something obviously has changed though but whether it is that significant remains to be seen.

but it still was national coverage.

I am open minded about it all.

I think we will know the direction of the club come 1st sep

Dont deflect onto what I should or would have done, she is he one in charge of our club and who knew that 3 months in advance that we would need someone to replace Cortese.

Deflection aside I would have stated the intention of the club was, she has given us youth and stability which is sort of so obvious its unreal, and people think that a groundbreaking piece of work.

Never usual agree with Barry but spot on to be honest.

Nice statement but no real substance and otherwise nothing has happened to suggest we will be better off with Cortese. We clearly won't be. He was very successful and the momentum we have built up could very easily tail off by the end of the season.

Wonder what MP thinks? Would doubt he will stay beyond the summer.

Those who have gone OTT on it all saying how positive things are might be right in the future but putting statements out is easy. Lets see what the actions are.

And whilst we know the family are quality business people, is she? Hard to find any real info.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Never usual agree with Barry but spot on to be honest.

Nice statement but no real substance and otherwise nothing has happened to suggest we will be better off with Cortese. We clearly won't be. He was very successful and the momentum we have built up could very easily tail off by the end of the season.

Wonder what MP thinks? Would doubt he will stay beyond the summer.

Those who have gone OTT on it all saying how positive things are might be right in the future but putting statements out is easy. Lets see what the actions are.

How many people have gone OTT positive on anything? Most seem to just think things seem ok, everything considered, and it's probably best to wait a bit to see how things pan out. Edited by Sour Mash

How many people have one OTT positive on anything? Most seem to just think things seem ok everything considered and it's probably best to wait a bit to see how things pan out.

Reactions to her holding statement include "****ing amazing, excellent, extremely impressed" etc.

Actions speak louder than words. Its a week since he left and she hasnt even addressed the players yet.

Reactions to her holding statement include "****ing amazing, excellent, extremely impressed" etc.

Actions speak louder than words. Its a week since he left and she hasnt even addressed the players yet.

But most people seem to think it is early days and it's best to give it more than a week to make any judgements, wouldn't you agree?

Mmm, interim eh. In my experience the appointment of the CFO, even on an interim basis, is a sign that all is not well in camp SFC. I would wager we're seeing the 'swan principle' in action here...beautiful on the surface...paddling like fook below.

In my experience it means the new CEO is working their notice elsewhere.

In all fairness we have 3 pages of largely clueless drivel about roles most don't understand

and people we've never heard of.yet still loads of clueless bumpy comments fill the board.

Whilst we know the Club continues to go forward , again which is what we all want

Surely were better off concentrating on football in a forum to which this supposedly is rather

Than the off field politics.

Only the media have made a us a crisis club over the last week,

Just remember the fans will always be here regardless of

who is running, owning or managing it.

In all fairness we have 3 pages of largely clueless drivel about roles most don't understand

and people we've never heard of.yet still loads of clueless bumpy comments fill the board.

Whilst we know the Club continues to go forward , again which is what we all want

Surely were better off concentrating on football in a forum to which this supposedly is rather

Than the off field politics.

Only the media have made a us a crisis club over the last week,

Just remember the fans will always be here regardless of

who is running, owning or managing it.

Very good post and I agree completely.

Out of interest, why do we all think Cortese worked his notice?

A number of things fuel my suspicion that he tendered his resignation and he is now tending his garden.

1. The news didn't leak, even to the players or manager.

2. It happened at a really weird time, why take a holiday and come back for a day?

3. We had no replacement lined up.

Working in the staffing industry, I call bull****.

I've just had a chat with my conspiracy theorist mate and he reckons this "interim" appointment could signify that the club have received an "attractive" bid for the club sometime in the last 24 hours or so and as such Liebherr has deferred the appointment of a permanent CEO until she's had chance to assess the bid. He said this might also explain why Lenhart was added as a director yesterday and then removed straight away. I told my mate I would post his ridiculous musings on here but to expect a load of flack for me doing so. He's a tad bonkers I admit.

I was about to write exactly the same idea. Of course the fact that we agree doesn't make it more likely but it is the reasonable assumption. Interim means "keeping the chair warm" in corporate speak. I don't see this as necessarily encouraging news even if it allows continuity. On the other hand finding people of the calibre of Cortese to replace The Don was never going to be easy.

Disappointing news really, although it may very well be that the preferred option has a notice period etc.

Although this chap may be capable, and better things are lined up, it is the uncertainty that concerns me, especially if we are trying to persuade MP to commit to the project further, without him knowing who he'll be working with/answerable to next season. Ideally, the remains of this season should have given him the opportunity to build the relationship with the new CEO (as well as winning the FA Cup of course).

Wrt this new appointment, we need to understand that the average soccer club is not a huge business. Man Utd turnover £364 mill, which makes them a medium sized UK company. (I.e they wouldn't be a quoted company on the FTSE) An interim appointment to the CEO role of an ex Deloitte's man who is an FD seems to make complete sense.

As long as it is interim....!