Sunderland fan in peace

Roker Rover

First off, can I just say what a joke it is that our game has been moved to an early kick off. Its a mild irritation to me but it must be a right pain for your travelling fans and once again the TV companies show their complete and utter distain for the people who do the most to create the atmosphere they love to bang on about. i.e. the away fans.

Anyway, I registered here on Sunday to have a chat about the cup match but its taken your mods a day or two to release my account.

Re the game, I can understand that you lot will be optimistic for this match and the draw has opened up for everybody after 4 of the 5 best sides got drawn against each other, but I do feel I need to point out that Sunderland are not quite as bad as the table may suggest at the moment. We started the season under that complete and utter fruit loop of a manager and got 1 point from the first 8 games (you may remember that;)). Saints had 15 points after those 8 games. Since then it is like this;

Sunderland Played 15 Pts 20

Saints Played 15 Pts 17

9 of your points in those first 8 games came in home games v Palace, West Ham and Swansea. We still have all those home games to come. Poyet is slowly sorting us out and we have lost 1 in 8 in the premier league and 2 in 13 all in (one of those loses was the second leg at Old Trafford and we won anyway on pens).

At the end of the day, you have not beaten us since you got back up in 5 attempts, we are on the better form and we are at home, so I think we also have cause to be optimistic.

You are good to watch and in all probability should have beaten us the other week, you may have beaten us in the league cup but decided you had bigger priorities and I will be eternally grateful for that given what's happened since.

You are a good club with good fans (was down for the game just before last Christmas stayed over and had a great time) and if you beat us I wish you well, but this is by no means the easy tie some of your posters seem to think it might be. We have had a weird season and you need to look at the bigger picture with us.

Anyway if any of your lads are coming up then pretty much all the pubs in Sunderland are away fan friendly and I hope you enjoy your trip and may the best team win.

Don't think you'll find many of our fans saying it's an easy tie, just that it's easier than what we could have got. And between the start of December and last week we've not been able to field a proper defence. Even now we've got our best defender out.

It should be another good game and see no reason why both sets of fans won't go to the game confident of the victory.

I think we're hoping you have got your eyes on other priorities come the next round.

The fixtures will even themselves out at some point, usually after 38 games;).

Our first 8 home matches were, Fulham, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle, Man City, Chelsea and Spurs. We lost the Fulham game despite totally dominating and them only having one touch in our 18 yard box in the entire game. That's football.

We still have 6 of the other 8 sides in the bottom 9 to play at home. Like I say its been a weird season and the fixtures have just mad it seem more so.

I assume your lot will now be taking this pot seriously unlike the league cup? What do you think about fielding the side you did at our place in the league cup? I would have been livid to be honest. I think every cup game should be taken seriously. I hate it when we mess about, we are not bloody Man Utd or Chelsea and the cups are the only thing we have a chance in.

I take you point about us having a bit of luck. You are right and believe me, most of it has been bad. We had a perfectly good goal disallowed v Arsenal that was brought back for a free kick to US. We had the Bardsley sending off at Stoke that killed the game stone dead and every pundit going condemned that decision and it was overturned. Does not bring the points back though.

That's just two examples.

In the game v your lot both teams scored twice, you dominated throughout but you failed to score a third. That's football sometimes. Fulham at home first day of the season was the same for us. At least you got a point.

The fixtures will even themselves out at some point, usually after 38 games;).

Our first 8 home matches were, Fulham, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle, Man City, Chelsea and Spurs. We lost the Fulham game despite totally dominating and them only having one touch in our 18 yard box in the entire game. That's football.

We still have 6 of the other 8 sides in the bottom 9 to play at home. Like I say its been a weird season and the fixtures have just mad it seem more so.

I assume your lot will now be taking this pot seriously unlike the league cup? What do you think about fielding the side you did at our place in the league cup? I would have been livid to be honest. I think every cup game should be taken seriously. I hate it when we mess about, we are not bloody Man Utd or Chelsea and the cups are the only thing we have a chance in.

TBF we were the better side in the league cup -as we were in both league games and the visit to your place last season- so it wouldn't have taken many changes to get something. But have no complaints about the side we put out -happy to rotate and keep the squad players 'match fit' as we've had to rely on them with our mounting injuries (FA cup is a different matter). Fair play for what you did against Chelsea and Man U - we would have been very lucky to get past them.

Looking forward to the game - will be my 4th trip up in 9 months. Your luck has to run out some time.

Definitely don't think this is an easy tie, and personally don't think it'd be a bad idea to box clever and take it to the replay at ours a few days before your cup final.

Not saying we should play for a draw, but if the game does peter out towards the end I don't think it'd be a bad idea from our point of view to just take it to a replay. If it did go to a replay 3-4 days before your cup final I must say I'd be extremely confident of us winning that.

Good post by someone who clearly thinks about football and writes something reasonable. As I said in another thread I'd swap with you anytime and risk our safety because I think there is a lot in what you say and you'll survive. Good luck after the cup game!

What if sumderland go down and get beat 5-0 in the final?

can't believe by the way you played the first 45min a few weeks ago that your an in-form side.

saints had 79% possesion , away from home. Our own fault for not putting three past you before you got into our box.

but that first half was a joke. Your supporter (you must have seen it on you tube) summed it up perfectly when he had a go from the touchline. He was the only mackam that showed any spirit.

Second half we stopped closing down and you obviously got a b0lliking at half-time. Different game.

Yep Ridiculous KO time. Footballing gone mad. Hope they give tickets away for a fiver otherwise it could be an empty end there.

I think he said he was prepared to take that chance, an example of winning and yet losing as well is a Wigan fan I know, he would not change anything about winning the Cup and the memories, I have not met any Wigan fan that would.

The two that play football with me both say promotion to the top flight and staying there was better, at the time they said the FA cup was amazing etc, but its come at a cost.

The reckon they won't get promoted again anytime soon.

Personally top flight football > A cup win as well.

The two that play football with me both say promotion to the top flight and staying there was better, at the time they said the FA cup was amazing etc, but its come at a cost.

The reckon they won't get promoted again anytime soon.

Personally top flight football > A cup win as well.

They are very much in the minority then, good article that, quite fair

http://footballblog.co.uk/win-cup-stay-premier-league-question-wigan-athletic.html

First off, can I just say what a joke it is that our game has been moved to an early kick off. Its a mild irritation to me but it must be a right pain for your travelling fans and once again the TV companies show their complete and utter distain for the people who do the most to create the atmosphere they love to bang on about. i.e. the away fans.

Anyway, I registered here on Sunday to have a chat about the cup match but its taken your mods a day or two to release my account.

Re the game, I can understand that you lot will be optimistic for this match and the draw has opened up for everybody after 4 of the 5 best sides got drawn against each other, but I do feel I need to point out that Sunderland are not quite as bad as the table may suggest at the moment. We started the season under that complete and utter fruit loop of a manager and got 1 point from the first 8 games (you may remember that;)). Saints had 15 points after those 8 games. Since then it is like this;

Sunderland Played 15 Pts 20

Saints Played 15 Pts 17

9 of your points in those first 8 games came in home games v Palace, West Ham and Swansea. We still have all those home games to come. Poyet is slowly sorting us out and we have lost 1 in 8 in the premier league and 2 in 13 all in (one of those loses was the second leg at Old Trafford and we won anyway on pens).

At the end of the day, you have not beaten us since you got back up in 5 attempts, we are on the better form and we are at home, so I think we also have cause to be optimistic.

You are good to watch and in all probability should have beaten us the other week, you may have beaten us in the league cup but decided you had bigger priorities and I will be eternally grateful for that given what's happened since.

You are a good club with good fans (was down for the game just before last Christmas stayed over and had a great time) and if you beat us I wish you well, but this is by no means the easy tie some of your posters seem to think it might be. We have had a weird season and you need to look at the bigger picture with us.

Anyway if any of your lads are coming up then pretty much all the pubs in Sunderland are away fan friendly and I hope you enjoy your trip and may the best team win.

Don't think anyone thinks it's an easy tie, just could have been a lot worse. I don't particularly rate your side, but you've developed the very handy knack of scraping out results, something we could learn a little from. Do you think you'll be resting many players for the cup game?

It's a good draw in the sense that both sides will fancy their chances of progressing to the next round. For the recent league game I travelled up on the Friday with my wee nipper and stayed over. We had a great weekend, all the Sunderland fans we met were very friendly. Unfortunately for me (and him) I'm in Oslo the weekend of the cup match so it'll be score updates on the mobile this time around. I expect another close game.

At the end of the day we are well capable of getting at least a draw for this. They have more to play for in the league and their players will be conscious of getting injured for the LC final.

Get a draw on the Saturday, a nice home 6th round tie on the Sunday and then a big ding dong in the replay.

I think he said he was prepared to take that chance, an example of winning and yet losing as well is a Wigan fan I know, he would not change anything about winning the Cup and the memories, I have not met any Wigan fan that would.

TBF - I've not met any Wigan fan. :)

To answer the point - would I risk sacrificing our position in the Premiership for the FA cup? - No.

Edited by St_Tel49

It won't be easy but it's high time that we finally beat them. Of all the draws I wanted in the cup another one against Sunderland was the last thing I wanted.

That disappointing home loss in our first few games back at this level, the scrappy draw up at the Stadium of Light when Puncheon somehow turned the ball in despite being on his arse. Leaving Giaccherini unmarked in that early corner and then playing an under-strength side who did well but couldn't produce enough to stop the Mackems on their run to the league cup final. Then that mad game two weeks ago when we should have polished them off after one of the worst home performances by any team i've ever seen at top-flight level only for them to wake up and for us to stay in second gear. The injuries to Lovren and Gaston were just a particularly rancid cherry on that malformed cake of a game.

They are becoming something of a bogey team.

Edited by Colinjb

Sunderland will stay up, probably finish comfortably around 13th/14th and have a good day out at Wembley to boot. Gus is a good manager - stick with him and Sunderland can look forward to a better season next year.

I have Mannone in my fantasy football dream team, so thanks for that - he's doing me well. Bardsley has also been good since returning from injury. Now, if Sunderland can sort out their forward play I think they'll give most teams a good game, but that is the toughest bit to get right. We were fortunate in having time to develop our forward play in Div 1 and the Championship.

Ask them again in 10-15 years when they haven't had a sniff of promotion and have zombied their way between the champo and league 1.

Never had a problem with Sunderland historically, but now you have a pr*ck of a manager who deliberately set out to cripple our team last time we met.

I hope we give you a King-size butt-f**king.

I hardly think Poyet instructed his team to cripple ours, do you? Seriously?

Lovren's injury was one of those things. Gaston was unlucky enough to be on the same park as one of the worst butchers in Brown ever to "grace" a Premier league park. I hate Brown, and I don't like Poyet from his Brighton days, but do be serious.

It's a competitive tie and both sets of fans will fancy their chances.

That said I think we've got the better team and I fancy our chances more because a draw is absolutely fine by us. If we could get a replay I fancy us to finish the job off so Sunderland really need to win at home.

Factor in the added pressure of your league position and the other cup vs us in mid table with this being our entire season and I think Saints will give it their all whereas Sunderland might not.

We pulverised you for large parts of the game last time yet somehow ended up with a draw, we need to be more ruthless next time.

Sunderland, despite recent results, are nowhere near as an accomplished team as Saints - sorry if that sounds arrogant, but I happen to think its true. Does that mean we will stroll into the next round? No, of course not.....but I think we will go through, possibly after a replay.

We pulverised you for large parts of the game last time yet somehow ended up with a draw, we need to be more ruthless next time.

Mullered Arsenal as well. Got a draw.

Play the same against Sland again and we'll get what we deserve. Bring on the quarters.

Good luck to Sland v Newc.