Bob Crow

Hatch

Deary me...

644e7d79ffd6f197a5d902cd9ee612fc06e16b4b7e12e4f4f2a52920e37c8b5d.jpg

Lads, the pair of you have been tangling with yours truly long enough to know that reciprocration is a key part of my posts. You play, I play. You discuss, I discuss. You come out fighting, etc, etc.

I know. I should rise above it.

Meet them Pap, it's the only way to resolve this!

We shall be soon, all being well.

Papster, You know I love joshing with you. It was't aimed solely at you - and it was of course in jest.

It's funny seeing people talk in a way I have perhaps been guilty of in the past. Being on the outside and seeing all this righty/lefty stuff makes you realise how childish it really is. It just makes any actual debates impossible when framed in such a way.

Wasn't BC's biggest fan if I'm honest. He also made my commute unbearable at times, and held the city I live in to ransom pretty often (obviously me just being selfish there).

That said, I can respect the bloke, and see he was very good at his job. Rail workers have much better pay & conditions than those in similar industries, particularly tfl drivers - that is not to say everything is rosy and perfect for everyone in those industries before anyone jumps down my throat - and he played a big part in that, and from insulating them from a lot of cut backs.

Sorry to his family, 52 isn't that old really.

oh pap

Jamie; part of the problem with you being a terse moron from my point of view is not understanding what the f**k point you are trying to make.

Please understand that contrary to what is perhaps your understanding, the rest of the forum does not live in your head. Consequently, they will not have access to whatever thoughts it might be entertaining at any given moment.

All of us are afflicted with this condition. Some are able to overcome it with words.

Jamie; part of the problem with you being a terse moron from my point of view is not understanding what the f**k point you are trying to make.

Please understand that contrary to what is perhaps your understanding, the rest of the forum does not live in your head. Consequently, they will not have access to whatever thoughts it might be entertaining at any given moment.

All of us are afflicted with this condition. Some are able to overcome it with words.

:lol:

oh +1 reputations jb, that was meant for pap really but I'm glad you was on hand

My problem is that I have read the books. While the trustworthiness of the crows is a theme, George RR Martin spends far more time describing mediaeval food he would like to eat.

Do some quotes on mead or wheels of cheese. I will cope better.

My problem is that I have read the books. While the trustworthiness of the crows is a theme, George RR Martin spends far more time describing mediaeval food he would like to eat.

Do some quotes on mead or wheels of cheese. I will cope better.

He is a man of large proportions (and so was Bob Crow!)

I liked Bob Crow. He spoke up for the working man. How many politicians do?

Zero hours contracts.....some one has to protect workers being exploited and now that he has gone who will do this on a workers behalf?

There will be another brought of similar ilk but Bob Crow was a standout, Jimmy Knapp before him was brilliant, protecting the British worker from exploitation.

I liked Bob Crow. He spoke up for the working man. How many politicians do?

Zero hours contracts.....some one has to protect workers being exploited and now that he has gone who will do this on a workers behalf?

How did Bob Crow protect workers from being exploited? Edited by Sour Mash

Bob Crow was a working class hero. Not many left in London, now one fewer. He'll be missed by his union members and by more Londoners than the right-wing, pay-'em-peanuts odd jobs on this forum might imagine.

As Ken Livingstone said: “His members are one of the few groups of working class people who have still got well paid jobs, and a lot of that is down to him.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/bob-crow-dies-from-massive-heart-attack-at-the-age-of-52-9183603.html

Bob Crow was a working class hero. Not many left in London, now one fewer. He'll be missed by his union members and by more Londoners than the right-wing, pay-'em-peanuts odd jobs on this forum might imagine.

As Ken Livingstone said: “His members are one of the few groups of working class people who have still got well paid jobs, and a lot of that is down to him.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/bob-crow-dies-from-massive-heart-attack-at-the-age-of-52-9183603.html

A "hero" to who? Tube drivers are never going to be paid 'peanuts'.

A "hero" to who? Tube drivers are never going to be paid 'peanuts'.

Thing is i never had an issue with them being paid well. I did have issues with them demanding quadruple pay and days off in lieu to work boxing day, and then holding the capital to ransom to get it.

Do you think Crow ever went too far or got in the way of progress Barry?

He help progress his members work conditions and pay, you can not ask for anymore than that, if you believe in his lies outside of the Union you could look into TUSC.

What progress did he hinder? He got in the way of regression, fair play to the man and as far as I am concerned an absolute legend, a close friend of mine worked closely with him and said he was a great man, I believe him.

He was a bit king Canute with progress Barry as he was trying (as per his job description I guess) to keep full employment in an industry that was becoming more and more automated. He then made the general public the weapon in this by continuous strikes and threats of strikes.

Thing is i never had an issue with them being paid well. I did have issues with them demanding quadruple pay and days off in lieu to work boxing day, and then holding the capital to ransom to get it.
Exactly. It went a long way beyond ensuring the working man got a fair pay deal.

He did admit that he would never stop trying to get a better deal for his members. There was no point he considered a 'fair deal' he said his job was always to get a better deal. Some might say this was his job but holding the capital to ransom every time he wants a better deal is bound to annoy people. Not if you live in Liverpool mind. Then he can just be a working class hero. Might be different if you thought about him stopping other working class heroes actually getting to work or losing money for not being at work. That didn't bother Rio Bob though.

He was a bit king Canute with progress Barry as he was trying (as per his job description I guess) to keep full employment in an industry that was becoming more and more automated. He then made the general public the weapon in this by continuous strikes and threats of strikes.
The problem is, he probably did as much as anyone to encourage the implementation of further automation in the industry. London's transport network is not going to put up with being reliant on such a militant union.

He actually was not against modernization at all, he was against job cuts and passenger safety, full employment? What does that mean? He never made the public a weapon at all, I never felt like that, maybe you did but I didn't, if you want to know about what Unions strike for I can tell you its not all about wages, its primarily about terms and conditions of service NOT wages, they come later, sickness, pension, legal rights, health cover, death in service benefits, hours worked in a week, hours worked in a day.

Never forget the privatization of the National Rail system was advocated by capitalists, the naivety and stupidity of these people never fails to amaze me, its costs 5.2 times more to run this expensive cash cow for the Germans and French now, we truly are embarrassing at times.

The problem is, he probably did as much as anyone to encourage the implementation of further automation in the industry. London's transport network is not going to put up with being reliant on such a militant union.

Really? Is that your opinion or a fact? His actions actually brought Johnson back to the table, never let bias get in the way of truth.

Exactly. It went a long way beyond ensuring the working man got a fair pay deal.

Do you want to work Boxing Day? Trains should not run, if they do then charge for it, surely its now in the capitalists hand they can understand such a basic principle? Or is it now a public service to suit your agenda?

He also made some progress in the maritime industry

For Boyd Tonkin, writing in the Independent, Mr Crow was in reality "a modern unionist" who used "small-scale, hi-tech unionism" to build the RMT's power. However, the writer says it packed a "much feebler punch on the high seas", adding that newspapers would seldom give him credit for having campaigned to extend the UK minimum wage to foreign-flagged ships in domestic waters.

Significant, no doubt, in leveling the playing field to protect the UK ports and shipping

Do you want to work Boxing Day? Trains should not run, if they do then charge for it, surely its now in the capitalists hand they can understand such a basic principle? Or is it now a public service to suit your agenda?
Plenty of people work on Boxing Day, without the very healthy packaage that tube drivers get. Captialists believe in the free market on such things, I'm sure you understand that.

Really? Is that your opinion or a fact? His actions actually brought Johnson back to the table, never let bias get in the way of truth.
They're my opinion. What do you think the impact of tube related strike action has had on the long-term drive to decrease operational head count?

He also made some progress in the maritime industry

For Boyd Tonkin, writing in the Independent, Mr Crow was in reality "a modern unionist" who used "small-scale, hi-tech unionism" to build the RMT's power. However, the writer says it packed a "much feebler punch on the high seas", adding that newspapers would seldom give him credit for having campaigned to extend the UK minimum wage to foreign-flagged ships in domestic waters.

Significant, no doubt, in leveling the playing field to protect the UK ports and shipping

"A modern unionist" passionately opposed to the EU.

A man who spent his whole life fighting for working people, who realised that EU immigration has suppressed their wages and been disastrous for the employment chances of the unskilled British youngster.

Plenty of people work on Boxing Day, without the very healthy packaage that tube drivers get. Captialists believe in the free market on such things, I'm sure you understand that.

If they are happy to do so and they get remunerated fairly for it so be it, so you understand if the workers can get it and are paid for it then you support it? I'm sure you understand that, basic economics, you want a train on Boxing day you have to be prepared to pay for it, again I'm sure you understand that.

Is this private or public sector we are talking about?

They're my opinion. What do you think the impact of tube related strike action has had on the long-term drive to decrease operational head count?

Its done nothing other than help maintain ticket offices and jobs on the front line there for the public to see, again your opinion (a misinformed one and closed one at that) is not fact, far from it.

The right to withdraw your Labour is a fundamental part of a free market economy IMO.

I find it ironic that people moaning about Tubes not running on Boxing day (or having to pay the drivers a premium for doing so) are exercising their right to shop and spend money freely when and where they want to, yet these supporters of a free market want to deny others the right to withdraw their Labour.