Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

We have heard nothing is happening from both sides. Until end of season. Why wait?

Pochettino said he hasnt had contract talks.

Perhaps thats what they have agreed to do, so there is no issue. And agreeing to talk after the Utd game is not the same as having contract talks.

Perhaps thats what they have agreed to do, so there is no issue. And agreeing to talk after the Utd game is not the same as having contract talks.

So...why would Saints wait. They don't need him to prove anything and we arent involved in latter stages of competitions etc.

I can fully understand why he would be keen to wait but not us.

Not as I see it actually, his close control isn't great, perhaps he needs some more game time to get the hang of it. Shouldn't be

anywhere near the first team as of yet anyway.

His close control for the goal in the FA cup was pretty sharp!

So...why would Saints wait. They don't need him to prove anything and we arent involved in latter stages of competitions etc.

I can fully understand why he would be keen to wait but not us.

So you can understand why he might want to wait, and might have said so, but dont understand why we may have agreed that with him. Should the Club ignore what he says, and insist that he sit down to talk details now? Just maybe there is no issue

As I said, any reasonably efficient striker, Osvaldo was anything but, did feck all for us except cause trouble and hasn't done any better at Juventus. We got that all wrong.

So if you don't consider either Lambert or Osvaldo as 'reasonably efficient' can you give us some examples of the kind of striker you're talking about?

So you can understand why he might want to wait, and might have said so, but dont understand why we may have agreed that with him. Should the Club ignore what he says, and insist that he sit down to talk details now? Just maybe there is no issue

So he'd be waiting because he thinks he has a chance of getting what he might consider is a better job right ?

So he'd be waiting because he thinks he has a chance of getting what he might consider is a better job right ?

I have no idea. Thats one possibility but not the only one. I dont automatically assume the Club are at fault because he has yet to have detailed talks

So if you don't consider either Lambert or Osvaldo as 'reasonably efficient' can you give us some examples of the kind of striker you're talking about?

Ok I'll have a stab then. Ramos from Hertha, Olic from Wolsburg, Toivonnen from wherever he came from before he went to Rennes in January, Lacazette from Lyon, Remy etc etc etc . All of these players are better than either Lambert or Osvaldo and we could have obtained any of them for the ridiculous fee paid for the latter. Even Aliadiere would have been a better signing, as would Gameiro from Seville.

I have no idea. Thats one possibility but not the only one. I dont automatically assume the Club are at fault because he has yet to have detailed talks

I don't assume the club are at fault either but Mauricio isn't at all well paid and he obviously wants a lot more money and probably an end to this fecking about with the academy.

I don't assume the club are at fault either but Mauricio isn't at all well paid and he obviously wants a lot more money and probably an end to this fecking about with the academy.

Maybe he genuinely believes in the philosophy of using young players?

Some managers do.

Clearly you don't, but I'm not entirely sure this is something MP is being chained to, imo.

Some managers do.

Clearly you don't, but I'm not entirely sure this is something MP is being chained to, imo.

Yes it is, he wants experienced players and has been told to use the academy, this is all about that. He obviously plays lip service to the academy otherwise why would he take off a player 1 minute from the end of games to send Reed on ? He's being told what to do and obviously isn't over chuffed with it. If he was really convinced that Reed had something different to offer he'd bung him on with a bit of time to show what he could do.

Ok I'll have a stab then. Ramos from Hertha, Olic from Wolsburg, Toivonnen from wherever he came from before he went to Rennes in January, Lacazette from Lyon, Remy etc etc etc . All of these players are better than either Lambert or Osvaldo and we could have obtained any of them for the ridiculous fee paid for the latter. Even Aliadiere would have been a better signing, as would Gameiro from Seville.
Some unproven potential from France or Germany? Who knows they'd deliver for us. Comfortably exceed double figures of goals and assists in their first season of Premier League football? Who knows.

Yes it is, he wants experienced players and has been told to use the academy, this is all about that. He obviously plays lip service to the academy otherwise why would he take off a player 1 minute from the end of games to send Reed on ? He's being told what to do and obviously isn't over chuffed with it. If he was really convinced that Reed had something different to offer he'd bung him on with a bit of time to show what he could do.

Do you not think when discussing the job he was told of the clubs approach to the academy? Also the record of investing in young players, and plans to overhaul training ground/academy facilities.

MP clearly is not a stupid man, anyone can see that taking the Saints job is going to come with the expectation of using the young players.

I'm sure his record of bringing through young players in his previous job was also part of what attracted the club to him.

Some unproven potential from France or Germany? Who knows they'd deliver for us. Comfortably exceed double figures of goals and assists in their first season of Premier League football? Who knows.

Borussia Dortmund have signed Ramos to replace Lewandowski, bit of decent scouting and he'd probably have signed for us.

Do you not think when discussing the job he was told of the clubs approach to the academy? Also the record of investing in young players, and plans to overhaul training ground/academy facilities.

MP clearly is not a stupid man, anyone can see that taking the Saints job is going to come with the expectation of using the young players.

I'm sure his record of bringing through young players in his previous job was also part of what attracted the club to him.

We shall see. Personally I expect to see a renewed vastly improved contract for Mauricio and an end to all this academy nonsense concerning so/so players. We shall see what comes to pass.

Edited by Window Cleaner

His time at Espanyol proves that. He repeatedly stated it when he arrived at Saints as well.

He's given debuts to Chambers, Reed, Gallagher, McQueen, Rowe, and Sinclair this year. Not fair at all to say he is paying 'lip service' to the academy, especially when you consider how much game time the likes of Chambers, JWP and Gallagher have been given this year. Perhaps it would be nice to see the likes of Reed being given more time to showcase his talents, but Poch probably has a better eye for his development than most. Fact is that we've often played three 18-19 year olds in the starting line up this season. With the possible exception of Villa, I don't see any other PL teams doing that.

While I'm sure he would like backing in the transfer window to sign more established players, or younger prospects from elsewhere, I really don't see him being frustrated by the demands placed on him regarding the use of academy players, whatsover. I'd actually suggest the opposite. It was a massive part of his mandate from Cortese when he arrived. If he wasn't happy with that situation, then he would never have come in the first place.

Edited by Toon Saint

We shall see. Personally I expect to see a renewed vastly improved contract for Mauricio and an end to all this academy nonsense concerning so/so players. We shall see what come to pass.

Fair enough, that's your opinion. Personally, I wouldn't be so sure.

There was a reason the club went for him. The aim of the club has always been to look at a very well established academy.

I cannot imagine the club would not spell out the expectation to look to the academy, given it's success and the investment that has gone into it.

It seems a good fit, club with history of developing talented young players hires manager with record of using young players.

I would also expect an improved contract - MP deserves it imo. He has done a good job in developing most of the players in the squad, both young and established.

We clearly differ in our approach to the academy. You have been critical both here in and in the past, on the other hand I am fully in support of this approach. I really enjoy seeing the conveyor belt of young (mostly English, not that that massively matters) players being developed at the club and making it into the first team.

I do agree there does need to be a balance, and that can be tricky to get right. Maybe, with the shedding of a few 'legacy' players in the summer (Guly, Jos etc) it may be easier to address that balance to prem quality.

Not that the squad you could be lead to believe is awful by some on here are doing all that bad. I'd have taken 8th before kick-off in August.

It was a massive part of his mandate from Cortese when he arrived. If he wasn't happy with that situation, then he would never have come in the first place.

An out of work football manager would probably agree to most things to get a job actually. I am far from convinced that he's really onboard with the academy approach. evidently he's not going to turn his nose up at players with genuine talent like Chambers but JWP has been cast aside of late and only injuries have given him a couple of recent starts. As for the rest they played in cup games which we all know Mauricio rates really highly. A manager is judged on his results and if he's having to use young players because he has nothing else (as apparently was the case at the end of his time at Espanyol) then he'll think twice about carrying on in that vein if ever he has a real choice.

An out of work football manager would probably agree to most things to get a job actually. I am far from convinced that he's really onboard with the academy approach. evidently he's not going to turn his nose up at players with genuine talent like Chambers but JWP has been cast aside of late and only injuries have given him a couple of recent starts. As for the rest they played in cup games which we all know Mauricio rates really highly. A manager is judged on his results and if he's having to use young players because he has nothing else (as apparently was the case at the end of his time at Espanyol) then he'll think twice about carrying on in that vein if ever he has a real choice.
If he was forced to play youth players why didn't Turnbull or Stephens get a game ahead of Yoshida or Hooiveld? I can't think of many times a youth player has taken preference over a better senior player.

No doubt MP would like a load of money to strengthen. Every manager in the country would.

The fact that you said that Cabella would be a gamble yesterday and now the names you put forward Like Aladiere, Gameiro and Toivonen better signings than Osvaldo make me happy that you are not our chief scout. :-)

Lacazette would have been a good signing, I agree but Lyon would never agreed to sell him for 15 million euros.

The fact that you said that Cabella would be a gamble yesterday and now the names you put forward Like Aladiere, Gameiro and Toivonen better signings than Osvaldo make me happy that you are not our chief scout. :-)

Lacazette would have been a good signing, I agree but Lyon would never agreed to sell him for 15 million euros.

In fact Stevy they would have been better signings because they would have at least played games and not caused trouble.

I know you're Cabella fancier but I go to some Montpellier games and he has absent passages in nearly every game. He's a decent player but I fear that he won't be physically up to the intensity of the PL which is like no other league in the world.

He's not very big and a bit lightweight and that's a big big risk for a midfielder in the PL. Toivonnen is a player who'd do really well in the PL actually.

In fact Stevy they would have been better signings because they would have at least played games and not caused trouble.

I know you're Cabella fancier but I go to some Montpeller games and he has absent passages in nearly every game. He's a decent player but I fear that he won't be physically up to the intensity of the PL which is like no other league in the world.

He's not very big and a bit lightweight and that's a big big risk for a midfielder in the PL. Toivonnen is a player who'd do really well in the PL actually.

Being lightweight is a risk yes but the speed and the outrageous skill he has will deceive a lot of Players in the premier ligue.

People were saying the same thing to start with Nasri and Coutinho that they were lightweight. Turned out alright didn t they.

You can add muscle and Power to your game by specific trainińg but you certainly can t add outrageous skill which he has in abondance. He is also a team player and can défend well.

As for Aladiere, we all saw what he was Like when he was at Arsenal and another english club can t remember where, was it middlesborough?

Toivonen certainly is a target man but doesn t have the necessary pace for me to succeed here, a very poor mans Lambert to me without the passing skills and he s only been at Rennes for 3 months so you can t really judge him on that Time yet.

Gameiro is lightweight to me and can t play the Lone striker role. He needed loads of chances last year at PSG to score a goal.

In hindsight yes they maybe would have Played more than Osvaldo but not a lot of people would have predicted a training ground bust up with Fonte. Osvaldo came off a 30 goal season at Roma and a lot of people at the Time were saying je was a very good signing.

He has done worst than Moyes and he was sacked today, Moyes was sacked for no European football and not challenging so why is Pochettino still there? Thats it its not really on the agenda is it.

+++Make a cup of tea instead of responding to this post+++

He has done worst than Moyes and he was sacked today, Moyes was sacked for no European football and not challenging so why is Pochettino still there? Thats it its not really on the agenda is it.

Is English your second language Baz or are you doing something else with your good hand?

The point is, we would all like a top striker, they're not easy to source are they. Look at Chelsea are struggling in that regard.

Chelsea have a top striker available to them, Mourinho didn't want him that's all. Mourinho doesn't have any time whatsover for young players which is strange really because Lukaku would count as an U21 and they've already got their full quota of 17 non-home grown senior players. .

Edited by Window Cleaner

He has done worse than Moyes and he was sacked today, Moyes was sacked for no European football and not challenging so why is Pochettino still there? Thats it its not really on the agenda is it.

Maybe you can point to where anyone at the club has said that europe was a target 2014?

Noone has ever said it was a target for this year.

He has done worse than Moyes and he was sacked today, Moyes was sacked for no European football and not challenging so why is Pochettino still there? Thats it its not really on the agenda is it.

But nice to see you comparing us to Manchester United now. Maybe that answers your old question about how big our club really is....?

But nice to see you comparing us to Manchester United now. Maybe that answers your old question about how big our club really is....?

Even if Man U and Saints merged they wouldn't be bigger than the dormant giant that is Everton (the Real Madrid of west Lancs)...

MP has done worse than Moyes... engage your minute brain.. Moyes took over the EPL Champions and finished seventh... MP took over Saints finished 14th and then 8th... perhaps you are a skate after all, but that would disappoint me as most Pompey fans I know can engage in conversation

MP has done worse than Moyes... engage your minute brain.. Moyes took over the EPL Champions and finished seventh... MP took over Saints finished 14th and then 8th... perhaps you are a skate after all, but that would disappoint me as most Pompey fans I know can engage in conversation
it is good that most posters have decided not to respond to obvious wind up posters.Glasgow is not getting the rise he used to and BS is starting to get the same treatment. Leave them to their own world

If the Lule Shaw story to United I think that is Pochettino gone also, wouldn't want to stay if we sell Shaw.

Especially after Ralph said we did not need to sell anyone that Pochettino wanted to keep. Although if Shaw requests to go there's not much we can do about it.

Especially after Ralph said we did not need to sell anyone that Pochettino wanted to keep. Although if Shaw requests to go there's not much we can do about it.

Pochettino said last week that Shaw is happy and isn't requesting a move away. The articles today appear to suggest that the deal has been worked on for months so someone is telling porkies.

Pochettino said last week that Shaw is happy and isn't requesting a move away. The articles today appear to suggest that the deal has been worked on for months so someone is telling porkies.

It'll be United doing the work at the moment. They'll have been preparing offers, putting calls in and planting stories in the press for a while without much involvement on our end.

Except hold him to his Contract

Hey, that's a novel idea ..... I wonder if any Club has told any player that he has to honour the piece of paper he SIGNED ?

Except hold him to his Contract

Hey, that's a novel idea ..... I wonder if any Club has told any player that he has to honour the piece of paper he SIGNED ?

Only massive clubs could pull that and it only worked once, Liverpool with Suarez this year.

People on here, if you want some football knowledge I will charge £20 an hour but it will be worth it.

The agenda here was to achieve a place higher than 8th, and when we played Sunderland 6th place was achievable had we won the next few matches. So Europe via a cup win was certainly not on the agenda for SFC at that time . I can't see Poch being sacked.

Only massive clubs could pull that and it only worked once, Liverpool with Suarez this year.

People on here, if you want some football knowledge I will charge £20 an hour but it will be worth it.

Football advice from the man who thinks the club should release a statement saying that everyone is for sale at the right price? I'll pass thanks.

The agenda here was to achieve a place higher than 8th, and when we played Sunderland 6th place was achievable had we won the next few matches. So Europe via a cup win was certainly not on the agenda for SFC at that time . I can't see Poch being sacked.

True, and neither was Europe via the League. Did not Poch say "The Europa Cup would kill us ", or words to that effect

So, from then on in, getting higher tha eigth was never an option, because SFC did not want to be in the Europa Cup

You may or may not disagree with MoPo's tactical nouse and some of the decisions that he has made this season, that's what these forums are about. What you can't argue with are the stats that show we only have a squad of 24, one of the smallest in the league, and we are just about holding our own without having to worry about any other distractions. Swansea and Wigan are proof that Euro cup comps are a graveyard for clubs of our current size.

Whilst not proven fact it would appear to most casual observers that MoPo is using the squad size, ability and future aspirations as a bargaining chip to free up more funds and, more importantly, attain a better contract for himself.

To imply that he has underachieved is simply ridiculous and that he should be sacked because Moyes would have finished above us is ..................................!