Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

To much "wait and see in the summer" for my liking. I think we all know what that usually means.

It will certainly be an interesting summer, we are at a point where decent investment could mean a realistic push for Europe next season. But with this "difficult financial position" talk it seems we will probably not being doing that - how far the other way will we go?

Top target for Spurs, hope Pochettino is not playing Reed with all this wait for summer talk. Must be delaying for a reason but is the reason Spurs? Wonder if he wants out of Saints due to Cortese leaving.

If he is sensible itll be to wait and see what budget and players he has to work with next year

I also think all this "wait and see" does not augur well. It means Mopo has reservations of signing on for longer.

It could mean several different things. Not much point in highlighting one particular possible outcome over another IMO.

Big club but a bit of a poisoned chalice, they aren't renowned for being particularly loyal and he could be out the door within a season if he doesn't live up to their high expectations.

If we can keep the vast majority of our key players here then hopefully he'll feel that he's on to a good thing at SFC and stay.

Better get used to the speculation though, Spurs might be rebuffed but if things continue as they are then sooner or later a club is going to come in that he wouldn't be able to resist, just hope it's not for a few years yet.

Having had to sell his best players for 4 years at Espanyol I would suggest a part of the attraction of coming to Saints was Cortese telling him we'll keep our best players and he'll have the opportunity to build a team. This summer he gets to see if the new Board feel the same as Cortese (not withstanding whether or not Cortese would have the ability to back up his words with actions but Pochettino clearly thought so). You can understand why Pochettino is waiting even if it doesn't feel great to know his commitment is to the ambition and means of the club as opposed the club itself.

I also think all this "wait and see" does not augur well. It means Mopo has reservations of signing on for longer.

When I raised the issue of signing a new contract with Jesus Perez he shook his head in dismay and said that they find it amusing that 'the English are obsessed with long contracts. Maurichio still has more than one year on his existing contract, no?'

I am not saying that this appeases me as I do believe him being here next season is crucial to convincing some of our players not to have their heads turned (too early at least), but it is consistent with waiting until the end of the season

When I raised the issue of signing a new contract with Jesus Perez he shook his head in dismay and said that they find it amusing that 'the English are obsessed with long contracts. Maurichio still has more than one year on his existing contract, no?'

I am not saying that this appeases me as I do believe him being here next season is crucial to convincing some of our players not to have their heads turned (too early at least), but it is consistent with waiting until the end of the season

I guess what fans are looking for is a statement from Pochettino that he will not be leaving before the end of his contract. He's fallen short of saying that. He's said on many occasions that he has another year left on his contract but that doesn't mean anything if he has doubts about honouring it in full.

I'm an optimist so I'm not reading too much into the lack of 100% firm commitment to the final year of his contract, but others of course will

The "Project", Pardew got us to the JPT and not promotion so he didn't fufill his part, Adkins did what he was asked and got us to the Prem, fulfilled his part of the "Project" now we are in the the top 10, was that the target for MP and now his part is complete. Unless I miss something, he never interacts with the fans, don't acknowledge us at any time whether after the game or when his name is being sang, comes out of the tunnel, shakes hands with the opposite manager, does his job during the game and reverses his entrance at the end. Won't be interviewed in English and seems reluctant to commit although he has done a great job and given us a brilliant season above all expectations.

I think more than half of the Prem managers will change before the seasons starts again, can't see Pards, Monk, Sherwood, BFS, Giggs etc. still keeping the jobs they got now.

Edited for you ;)

So what´s the flavour of the week for you this week?

Two weeks ago you were hoping that he stays, now it seems like you have switched the flavour.....?

And how come it is important in the Pardew case that they are 9th when it was such a disgrace for us to go on a bad run even if we were 8th??

No I dont expect any answers from you, you´re an idiot who dont know what the word discuss means.

You´re very good on a close word to that though, discusting.

Maybe just maybe he is waiting till the season ends to dal with his own affairs. He sees no need to jump now as he has another year remaining on his contract and his priority are the next 2 games.

He is an obsessional worker who arrives early and leaves Staplewood late at night often looking utterly knackered.

So what´s the flavour of the week for you this week?

Two weeks ago you were hoping that he stays, now it seems like you have switched the flavour.....?

And how come it is important in the Pardew case that they are 9th when it was such a disgrace for us to go on a bad run even if we were 8th??

No I dont expect any answers from you, you´re an idiot who dont know what the word discuss means.

You´re very good on a close word to that though, discusting.

Ask any question (politely) and I am happy to answer.

You may notice that I don’t respond when the question is followed by some childish abuse.

I dont abuse or insult other posters and just ask for the same respect in return please.

Why are we all obsessed on getting him signed up on a long contract? If he wants to leave and a big club wants him he will go. He still has a year left on his contract.

Managerial contracts are usually done at the end of a season when a full review of the clubs aims, ambitions and achievements can be done. Then a plan can be put in place to review what finances will be available and what the ambitions for the following season are.

I believe that both parties will and are waiting for this, why destabilise the season when this can be done in the off-season.

Calm down everyone.

All of these threads and a fair few of the heavy reading between the lines reactions, does show how badly scarred so many of us are from seasons past before the Leibherr takeover. We had gems of players both homegrown or made good over a season just depart us with no real effort primarily to balance the books, we had good managers who walked away when the promise of greater achievement the following season was there for us to see.

So many negative reactions across the threads seem to have their roots in the pot where we were before. Maybe I am being deluded, but whereas all the chit-chat was cheap bs in days gone by I am prepared to believe the comments now being made will actually hold water.

in this case what's to say that KL, RK, LR and Uncle Tom Cobbley on the board haven't had a chat with MP and they are all happy with things and him. He and his family are happy here and in reality the fact that he does have 12 months left on his contract and when he and the club says there is no great rush, there is actually no great rush.

i seem to recall that when Adkins had proved he had the minerals for the job his contract extension was signed in January after joining in the Autumn but wasn't announced until we had secured promotion as they thought contract discussions would be a distraction in the public domain......... And have players taking their foot off the gas and blowing promotion.

Ask any question (politely) and I am happy to answer.

You may notice that I don’t respond when the question is followed by some childish abuse.

I dont abuse or insult other posters and just ask for the same respect in return please.

There were 3 questions that you didn´t answer there to start with.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised or concerned about the lack of a definate statement from MOPO stating he is staying at SFC no matter what. Personally for what its worth i believe MP who has shown he is a very shrewd and clever man when dealing with the British press is again being very shrewd and clever but this time with the Saints board. MP knows he could now walk into some very good jobs if he wanted them, his stock has gone up massively this season. He currently has a brilliant young team that IF kept together and with a few quality additions will be challenging next season to break into that top 6. Why would he move now when he has that?.....He is unlikely to get one of the top 4 team jobs so if its here in the UK he stays who else? Spurs....personally i don't see it. Everton...won't happen, Man Utd....ditto. IF the SFC board match his ambitions and dont sell our best players i believe he will stay.....he is playing the waiting game and i personally don't blame him one bit.....and so are the players IMHO

He has a "Fixed Term" contract until 2015. Managers aren't players, they're not governed by the PFA rules and don't have transfer fees.

I'm sure he'll sign a new one when this one runs out, either with Saints or with somebody else. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't sign anything this year and just carries on to honour his current contract.

I don't have twitter or facebook, so I don't get agitated because the Board aren't keeping me up to date every 5 minutes with what they're thinking.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised or concerned about the lack of a definate statement from MOPO stating he is staying at SFC no matter what. Personally for what its worth i believe MP who has shown he is a very shrewd and clever man when dealing with the British press is again being very shrewd and clever but this time with the Saints board. MP knows he could now walk into some very good jobs if he wanted them, his stock has gone up massively this season. He currently has a brilliant young team that IF kept together and with a few quality additions will be challenging next season to break into that top 6. Why would he move now when he has that?.....He is unlikely to get one of the top 4 team jobs so if its here in the UK he stays who else? Spurs....personally i don't see it. Everton...won't happen, Man Utd....ditto. IF the SFC board match his ambitions and dont sell our best players i believe he will stay.....he is playing the waiting game and i personally don't blame him one bit.....and so are the players IMHO

In a nutshell this

Nothing is going to happen until after the WC anyway so i'd just sit back and wait. I've said this before but if players get a chance to earn big money and play Champions League they are going to take it, it's no refection on the club 'not showing ambition' or whatever and you cant blame players for wanting to play at the top level. You and I and every other forum mong would do exactly the same in their position. What Poch may want assurances on, is that if players do go for big money, how much will he have of that to re-invest

After last night's Newcastle result, we are now assured of 8th place (barring mathematical miracles) so there are now no sensible reasons why the club shouldn't be sitting down and discussing a contract extension with MP, and plenty of good reasons why they should. There is no good reason from our point of view to delay until the end of the season as the sole priority is now next season.

It's all very well saying that he still has a year left on his contract but this is not just about MP, it's about convincing our best players to stay on in the face of the offers that will come in for them in the summer, and there's no doubt this will be easier if MP has committed to the club longer term. It will also be disruptive to our planning of signings over the summer if there is still uncertainty over the manager's plans, so the sooner this is sorted the better.

This of course is all from our point of view - what we don't really know is what MP's intentions are, but if he is not prepared to sit down and discuss an improved deal now that the league position is decided, my suspicion would be that he may see his future elsewhere.

I am working on the assumption that he's going - if he doesnt so be it.

There is an arguement for both sides -

Option a) Build a reputation at a smaller club and earn the big job/move.

Good examples of this - Martinez and Rogers. Bad examples Moyes

Option b) Take a step up whenever it comes as reputations can drop very quickly.

Good examples of this - Paul Lambert. Bad examples Solskjaer and Laudrup

If Mopo takes option B so be it.

I don't understand why Reed and Pochettino are waiting for the season to be over. Either they have agreed something in principle or Mo Po is waiting for a move. All seems a bit strange.

I get the impression that everyone at the club is genuinely quite calm about it all and to me the other day it sounded like they've agreed terms in principle and just have to sort out the finer points.

This more or less reflects my reading of the situation. To which I would add that the most loyal manager by far in the PL, Arsene Wenger, routinely delays signing a new contract, most recently because he too wants assurances on signings.

The most troubling element for me is the major increase in speculation that Lallana is looking to move, because I'd always had him pegged as someone who was very keen to stay.

Until now I've felt that most of the key members of the squad were reasonably committed, although Shaw was almost certain to leave. I was happy to accept that Pochettino was using brinkmanship to pressure Katharina and Ralph into coming out with the best possible salary and incentive package and - just as important to him - a significant transfer budget.

But the increase in speculation surrounding Lallana is really starting to make me think that he knows something we don't know, and that this has resulted in more "come and get me" signals, whether or not we see them.

Having said that, Pochettino is a smart man. While there's major appeal in going to one of the "big clubs", he's unlikely to do it if the key players in their squad are not the kind to play his kind of football. Few stack up better than us on that front. Something else he really likes, I suspect, is the ability to bring young players through who play football "his way", and - again - few clubs (if any) stack up better than us. With the salary and transfer budget issues resolved, he has more reasons to stay than to go.

Pochettino is the key piece in this jigsaw of speculation because if he were to commit to us, most of the key players probably would as well. Until then the speculation will continue to run riot, which makes it all the more surprising that Katharina and Ralph haven't brought this to a head. The longer they allow it to remain up in the air, the harder it will be to resolve it if things go pear-shaped.

Anxious times - all the more so because his decision could trigger a major exodus and a return to the scary drawing board.