Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

Mick McCarthy has a win percentage of 40% compared to MPs 34%. Under MP we average 1.40 points per game. This is the minimum McCarthy has achieved at any club he's managed. He also has managed at International level, and shows more passion on the touchline. Should we look to bring him in as a replacement in the summer if he fails to take Ipswich up?[/QUOTE]

Sort of answered your own Question, IMHO

Have we really needed to drop as low as Mick McCarthy to find a manager with a lower points per game ratio? :lol:

To find a perm manager with a lower career win % than Mopo try Paul Dickov and erm James Beattie :lol:

What was Adkins or Holly at Palace?

Cannot understand why Man Utd would consider Pochettino's, I really believe with the team we have we should have got more points this season already. For me, next season is a massive test for him, he needs to improve again. To a lesser extent also, not sure why Spurs would want him, never won anything or qualified for europe. I would hate to lose him but taking him would be a massive gamble for Spurs.

I really believe with the team we have we should have got more points this season already.

It's only under Pochettino's direction that these players have proven that they're capable of pushing that high, though. Rodriguez, Lallana, Fonte, Davis, Shaw, Chambers and Ward-Prowse have all improved under him, some massively so. There's room for more, though, and Mauricio will be the first person to tell you that.

We have a great team but it might not have been so great without him.

Cannot understand why Man Utd would consider Pochettino's, I really believe with the team we have we should have got more points this season already. For me, next season is a massive test for him, he needs to improve again. To a lesser extent also, not sure why Spurs would want him, never won anything or qualified for europe. I would hate to lose him but taking him would be a massive gamble for Spurs.

Brendan Rodger never really won anything either

image_bigger.jpgAlex Goring Crook@alex_crook

Newspaper reports in both Spain and Italy today linking Pochettino with AC Milan #saintsfc #thfc

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/calcio_mercato/2014/04/22-358395/

MILAN - AC Milan's first choice for the bench of the future is Mauricio Pochettino. Do not mince words Mundo Deportivo. The former Espanyol, currently manager of Southampton, is referred to as the perfect coach for the revival of the Rossoneri, when you close the era Seedorf, whose fate seems tied to the next two games against Roma and Inter. Would be honored to know a little bit new league in Spain claim that there has already been a first contact scoured to understand the contractual situation of the coach.The only obstacle could be the hiring of over one and a half million Euros.

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20140422/futbol/internacional/el-milan-pretende-fichar-a-pochettino_54406024455.html

Former Espanyol coach Mauricio Pochettino can become Milan coach next season. The Lombards leaders are not too happy with the work that is playing Clarence Seedorf and though he left the remainder of this season and two more contract, are seeking a formula to terminate the commitment if it ends this year. The Dutch, who arrived last January as Massimiliano Allegri replacement to revive the Lombard whole has not led the team by winning ways. Ranked seventh in the standings with 51 points and lies 39 points behind leaders Juventus.His office is on the ropes and his position is played in the next two games against Roma and Inter. If Rossoneri I lose both commitments, would be stopped. Pippo Inzaghi, coach of the 'spring' (subsidiary) of Milan, will replace interim basis until the end of league.

Milan's first choice for next season is Pochettino. Italian leaders see him as the perfect coach for the team into one of the most valued both nationally and internationally. Already have groped the agent of former Espanyol coach to know their situation in Southampton. Al Facu fits the rest of this season and another with English entity. He has done a good job in the Premier but naturally would be happy with the idea of ​​leading the Italian team besides knowing a new championship.

The economic issue might be the only point that might alienate Pochettino Milan. The Milanese club is not about to pay more than 1.5 million euros per season.

Edited by trousers

image_bigger.jpgAlex Goring Crook@alex_crook

Newspaper reports in both Spain and Italy today linking Pochettino with AC Milan #saintsfc #thfc

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/calcio_mercato/2014/04/22-358395/

With Cortese installed as Chairman? Would surprise me as Poch has already said that he wants to stay in the Premier League.

Let's hope he realises what a reactive, basket-case of a club Spurs is, and that our board take some decisive action while the rumour-mill focuses on the happenings at Old Trafford.

It's only under Pochettino's direction that these players have proven that they're capable of pushing that high, though. Rodriguez, Lallana, Fonte, Davis, Shaw, Chambers and Ward-Prowse have all improved under him, some massively so. There's room for more, though, and Mauricio will be the first person to tell you that.

We have a great team but it might not have been so great without him.

I think you missed one - Lovren. He was going nowhere playing in France despite promise and international caps yet appeared World Class at times playing at Saints under Poch.

Most interesting for me was not only has Poch picked young players - as he said he would - but that he also got a lot out of older players.

I am not certain of the stats but am fairly confident we played the youngest team in the EPL this year and had the most English teenagers on the pitch at the same time for more minutes than any other team this season. And we finished likely eighth. What will they be like next season with this year under their belts and no doubt a few more pushing through from below? What other manager would have been doing that with the yoof in the EPL? Poch has got a recognizable style and it includes playing domestic yoof - something which is rapidly becoming a must-have quality teams are looking for in the ffp times of elite level football..

Lets have a look at a few of the other contenders:

Fat Sam? You got to be kidding me. He has one of the best young talents in english football in Ravel Morrison and he loans him out!

Mourinho? You cannot be serious. Ryan Bertrand plays for Everton as does Lukaku. Jack Cork is a Saint. JM is no good for young english players. period.

Martinez- yeah hes ok with the yoof.

Pellegrino: not a chance. The closest he gets is letting his youngish english cb get splinters wasting a great potential.

Pardew-yes- if they are french.But hes not got long left before hes sacked...

Wenger- yes he has got principles + does try - in capital cup and at least he knows a good young english player when he sees one... wilshire oxo and theo are good young players.

Many of his foreign young ones are hit and miss though...

Rodgers: yeah he's good too. A bit easier when you got suarez and gerrard to build a team around I'd say though.

Bruce, Hughes and Pulis - get outta here.

Moyes: not really. Nice guy but bit tactically limited and who apart from Janusci has he got through this year? And thats only a few minutes here and there. Even the young english contingent of man utd players all look mediocre at best this season. Not one has "moved up"- even Welbeck - whilst others notably went backwards...

Villas boas/sherwood: nah, S is just picking his best players available and asking them to play whilst AVB was all style no substance at spurs.

Lambert: tactically inept.

Gus Poetry in motion. lol. nope. nope. nope.

Chris Hughton: nope- how can you NOT play Redmond if he's a norwich player in that team? Has to start has to be developed has to play.But did not. Would have done under Poch.

Pepe Mel : has had no chance

Magath: has had little chance but is just chucking whoever hes got out there.

OGS: : ditto.

Garry monk: ditto.

Looking at it from that perspective you'd have to say Mopo has been outstanding for Saints and for English football.

Edited by Giordano

With Cortese installed as Chairman? Would surprise me as Poch has already said that he wants to stay in the Premier League.

Let's hope he realises what a reactive, basket-case of a club Spurs is, and that our board take some decisive action while the rumour-mill focuses on the happenings at Old Trafford.

To take "decisive action" our board will need to double his salary and promise him a respectable transfer budget for next season with no "committee" input. Sounds pretty simple actually, don't know why they're not getting on with it unless of course Mauricio is stalling.

I think you missed one - Lovren. He was going nowhere playing in France despite promise and international caps yet appeared World Class at times playing at Saints under Poch.

Most interesting for me was not only has Poch picked young players - as he said he would - but that he also got a lot out of older players.

I am not certain of the stats but am fairly confident we played the youngest team in the EPL this year and had the most English teenagers on the pitch at the same time for more minutes than any other team this season. And we finished likely eighth. What will they be like next season with this year under their belts and no doubt a few more pushing through from below? What other manager would have been doing that with the yoof in the EPL? Poch has got a recognizable style and it includes playing domestic yoof - something which is rapidly becoming a must-have quality teams are looking for in the ffp times of elite level football..

Lets have a look at a few of the other contenders:

Fat Sam? You got to be kidding me. He has one of the best young talents in english football in Ravel Morrison and he loans him out!

Mourinho? You cannot be serious. Ryan Bertrand plays for Everton as does Lukaku. Jack Cork is a Saint. JM is no good for young english players. period.

Martinez- yeah hes ok with the yoof.

Pellegrino: not a chance. The closest he gets is letting his youngish english cb get splinters wasting a great potential.

Pardew-yes- if they are french.But hes not got long left before hes sacked...

Wenger- yes he has got principles + does try - in capital cup and at least he knows a good young english player when he sees one... wilshire oxo and theo are good young players.

Many of his foreign young ones are hit and miss though...

Rodgers: yeah he's good too. A bit easier when you got suarez and gerrard to build a team around I'd say though.

Bruce, Hughes and Pulis - get outta here.

Moyes: not really. Nice guy but bit tactically limited and who apart from Janusci has he got through this year? And thats only a few minutes here and there. Even the young english contingent of man utd players all look mediocre at best this season. Not one has "moved up"- even Welbeck - whilst others notably went backwards...

Villas boas/sherwood: nah, S is just picking his best players available and asking them to play whilst AVB was all style no substance at spurs.

Lambert: tactically inept.

Gus Poetry in motion. lol. nope. nope. nope.

Chris Hughton: nope- how can you NOT play Redmond if he's a norwich player in that team? Has to start has to be developed has to play.But did not. Would have done under Poch.

Pepe Mel : has had no chance

Magath: has had little chance but is just chucking whoever hes got out there.

OGS: : ditto.

Garry monk: ditto.

Looking at it from that perspective you'd have to say Mopo has been outstanding for Saints and for English football.

You're doing Paul Lambert a disservice. I believe Villa are the youngest team on average and he's stuck by his boys even in tough times. I don't know whether he's failing to improve them or whether he's got less talent to work with in the first place but you can't knock him for effort. Magath's got some boys out there as well - brave or foolish in the context of a relegation scrap, I don't know.

Tim Sherwood is also to be admired for his selections. He hasn't got a great wealth of young Englishmen but Rose, Kane and (the admittedly foreign) Bentaleb are getting regular game time now over some expensive egos. Harry Kane's getting a game over the man who became their record signing in the summer!

You're doing Paul Lambert a disservice. I believe Villa are the youngest team on average and he's stuck by his boys even in tough times. I don't know whether he's failing to improve them or whether he's got less talent to work with in the first place but you can't knock him for effort. Magath's got some boys out there as well - brave or foolish in the context of a relegation scrap, I don't know.

Tim Sherwood is also to be admired for his selections. He hasn't got a great wealth of young Englishmen but Rose, Kane and (the admittedly foreign) Bentaleb are getting regular game time now over some expensive egos. Harry Kane's getting a game over the man who became their record signing in the summer!

Exactly. MP has done a good job for us and he seems to enjoy working with young up and coming players, but its easy to get carried away.

I am absolutely amazed that the club haven't appeared to make a conscious effort to sign Pochettino up longer term.

Either they are i.) Completely confident he will stay ii.) Already aware he won't be or iii.) Completely unaware of how football works and how much of a cut throat business it is.

If we let one of the best Managers we have had in 20 years, leave limply at the end of the season then it will be hard to have much faith.

Milan will only go for Pochettino if they can't get Macarthy.

Pochettino is clearly an excellent coach though. The only thing separating us from the top four teams is a decent striker and some more strength in depth. In terms of the level of play achieved, there's really nothing much in it.

I honestly think this is sh*t stirring from Cortese. He did a fantastic job for the club, but I wish he'd just f*ck off and leave us alone, rather than plant de-stabilising stories in the press about our management and players.

Edited by Wade Garrett

Exactly. MP has done a good job for us and he seems to enjoy working with young up and coming players, but its easy to get carried away.

I still believe Pochettino is the best by a way. However, he has a great pool of young talent without the big names to keep happy, like Sherwood does. Tim's situation comes with its own challenges, but it looks like he's not keeping those players happy and will lose his job as a result.

I honestly think this is sh*t stirring from Cortese. He did a fantastic job for the club, but I wish he'd just f*ck off and leave us alone, rather than plant de-stabilising stories in the press about our management and players.

If Cortese really is planting stories, it won't just be out of spite. Surely he's got better things to do than brief journalists without a useful purpose.

Edited by DuncanRG

As posted on the Moyes leaving thread.

indykaila News ‏@indykaila 5m

Exclusive: Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino has been added to the Manchester United manager shortlist. #MUFC

Nope, sorry, just don't buy that.

Having c*cked up with Moyse's appointment, United will want to make amends and show they are still a world power with a statement marque managerial appointment.

As good as he is, MoPo is not that.

As posted on the Moyes leaving thread.

indykaila News ‏@indykaila 5m

Exclusive: Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino has been added to the Manchester United manager shortlist. #MUFC

That chap is possibly the least reliable / original "source" on twitter, and that's saying something as there is stiff competition for that crown! :)

Yes i guess so regarding lambert - he does play young english players but they are not as good as ours! Villa have been very up and down this season - perhaps the kids are not disciplined enough to obey his orders consistently is more the problem. Beating arsenal away for instance great result but benteke is not the same player of last season and Allbrighton and delph only plays one good match every three...

So about £40m of expenditure?

Wouldn't have to be that much. Bony and Sturridge each cost about twelve million. We should be able to raise at least that through selling Osvaldo and Mayuka. The main challenge is finding a good enough striker who is happy to join a side outside the very top level and doesn't command an unaffordable wage. Tricky, but there are some out there. Probably not in the Prem or even the Championship but in Holland, France, Germany etc. We could find a Pahars bargain.

Then another keeper, a centre back and an attacking midfielder (could probably cover the attacking player through selling Ramirez if we wanted).

I'm not saying it's easy but criticising MPis retarded. He's got a great level of performance out of the resources available. I would go as far as saying that if you took Suarez out of Liverpool and stuck him in our team, we would probably be above them. Give Brendan Rogers a glacial striker and see how Liverpool get on.

Wouldn't have to be that much. Bony and Sturridge each cost about twelve million. We should be able to raise at least that through selling Osvaldo and Mayuka. The main challenge is finding a good enough striker who is happy to join a side outside the very top level and doesn't command an unaffordable wage. Tricky, but there are some out there. Probably not in the Prem or even the Championship but in Holland, France, Germany etc. We could find a Pahars bargain.

Then another keeper, a centre back and an attacking midfielder (could probably cover the attacking player through selling Ramirez if we wanted).

I'm not saying it's easy but criticising MPis retarded. He's got a great level of performance out of the resources available. I would go as far as saying that if you took Suarez out of Liverpool and stuck him in our team, we would probably be above them. Give Brendan Rogers a glacial striker and see how Liverpool get on.

We wouldn't be top of the league if we had Suarez but we'd be a whole lot better. Who wouldn't?

Also, are you implying Lambert is 'glacial'?

This is a great shout and highly likely. We already know how chummy the Italian was with certain media contacts, and no doubt he's still at it, especially now his weasel shaped head has been yanked out of the SFC trough.

Suarez has been brilliant this season, as has Sturrudge, Sterling, Gerrard, Coutinho very good as well, for us to assemble a team to get into the top 4, we would need some serious expediture.

I am absolutely amazed that the club haven't appeared to make a conscious effort to sign Pochettino up longer term.

Either they are i.) Completely confident he will stay ii.) Already aware he won't be or iii.) Completely unaware of how football works and how much of a cut throat business it is.

If we let one of the best Managers we have had in 20 years, leave limply at the end of the season then it will be hard to have much faith.

or (iv) the club have already made a very conscious effort and MP does not want to discuss in any detail until after the season (and the Club have decided not to make a big public statement about it, or tell you)

Suarez has been brilliant this season, as has Sturrudge, Sterling, Gerrard, Coutinho very good as well, for us to assemble a team to get into the top 4, we would need some serious expediture.

Get your point, but havent Jay Rod, Morgan, Luke and Adam been brilliant too? Plus Lovren for at least half the season? I would love to have the players you mention from Liverpool but we have a few decent ones too, so to compare, we are not starting from scratch

Get your point, but havent Jay Rod, Morgan, Luke and Adam been brilliant too? Plus Lovren for at least half the season? I would love to have the players you mention from Liverpool but we have a few decent ones too, so to compare, we are not starting from scratch
Where have I suggested we're starting from scratch? I'm not sure what your point is though.

Any reasonably efficient striker who we'd signed last summer would have greatly increased our points total this season, we got it all wrong and now we're left with the snail like Lambert and a leggy 18 year old who runs about a lot but can't control the ball correctly.

Any reasonably efficient striker who we'd signed last summer would have greatly increased our points total this season, we got it all wrong and now we're left with the snail like Lambert and a leggy 18 year old who runs about a lot but can't control the ball correctly.
So it's just that easy? Why wasn't Osvaldo scoring a hatful over his time in the team?

Why do people assume that because we havn't heard anything, that means that nothing is happening?

Do people honestly think like this?

or (iv) the club have already made a very conscious effort and MP does not want to discuss in any detail until after the season (and the Club have decided not to make a big public statement about it, or tell you)

The impression I get from Adam Blackmore and the like is that Pochettino would talk if the club approached him, but they haven't yet. Doesn't mean he's desperate to start talks, only that he wouldn't refuse. It's not really his decision when to get going.

They may want to leave it til the end of the season so he can focus on the players and their last few games. Maybe they're giving themselves time to prepare the right offer. That will be more than just a salary figure and transfer budget of course - they'll want to give him a vision of where they see the club going and what part the manager plays.

There are all sorts of potential reasons they're waiting and besides, most managerial contracts don't get signed until May time. Nothing to worry about yet.

If and when it's done they'll be quick to announce, but the players will hear first.

Edited by DuncanRG

or iv) discussions are on-going or v) both parties agreed to delay them until the end of the season. We can speculate all we want but the real truth is that no-one knows the real truth.

Edited by St_Tel49
added word

or iv) discussions are on-going or v) both parties agreed to delay them until the end of the season. We can speculate all we want but the truth is that no-one knows the real truth.

Both parties might have agreed to do that but why would Saints want to wait? Surely better to sort now and start planning for next season now.

Waiting has no benefit. He is a top Manager and the longer his situation is unclear the more interest will build in him.

Waiting til end of season just adds more uncertainty, not just to fans but players hence all their comments in the media.

Krueger's Guardian interview comments on it were bizarre too.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Where have I suggested we're starting from scratch? I'm not sure what your point is though.

Sorry, i thought you were suggesting we needed to add five top, top players akin to all of Liverpool's best. I was just saying we have a few that the Top 4 teams would like to have already, so perhaps the investment needed is not as huge as thought. As Benji said, there are some bargains out there and a goalscorer would be a major start.