Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

Since my earlier post I have had a quick pint in town with someone (well-connected locally) who has given me a little bit of hope. Can't obviously say too much because I need to protect this guy's professionalism but let's just say the family of one of MP's trusted lieutenants seem to be putting down firm roots. Having posted at a 70/30 chances of him going I am now revising odds to 40/60 which is good news. Perhaps MP is just playing the field. Sorry I can't be more specific and this is not "a look at me" type post, but just shows the more you listen the more you find out.

On the Pochettinos question, I think he's angling for both a good pay rise (fair enough) and also some assurance that the board will back him to the extent that the club can progress, which will clearly require some investment. If (and despite what some will say, few of us really have any idea) the board won't invest much, mopo will clearly think he can't progress the club enough which will harm his reputation, and affect his future earnings as a professional football manager, so I don't blame him for trying to push the issue. The players and mopo clearly think they're a few players away from a cracking team, and I agree, so I can understand their enthusiasm for the board pushing that little bit further.

So what investment is needed? A gk to challenge boruc (5-10m), a cb (similar), a centre forward (net 0 if we offload osvaldo?), an attacking midfielder / winger (expensive), and a left back (cheap, only squad player). If we are cute we can buy a player who can play left back and centre back but that's easier said than done, especially given what we expect our full backs to do in our system. You're looking at at least 30 million. We owe 25, but have 60 million income guaranteed, so if I (biased, obviously) was in charge I'd gamble on the investment. We've proved we are close enough, but lack squad depth, but with no european football we could cope with that squad level.

The alternative would mean a reduction in performance on the field, and a reduction in the value of the club as an asset. Speculate to accumulate and all that - I think the outlay required is worth it given the prospects those 4-5 players would give us. Stagnation will lead to a reduction in the asset value. It's not my money so easy to say, but I'd back him.

This will not be a popular view but with each passing day the more sure I am he is leaving. I would understand his reticence to extend his deal if our future was still unresolved but the season is over, give or take one place in the table. He needs to start building BEFORE the season ends with new player recruitment etc and so the distraction of having him reluctant to extend his contract when the fans, the board and the players want him to, is something that concerns me.

Just cos you want MLT as manager, Keegan as DOF, Benali as Chairman you as Club Historian and Um Pahars as fanontheboard.

Why any of you dins think Spurs have any serious interest in Pochettino, a mid-table manager in two countries, I'll never know. Spurs want someone to virtually guarantee 4th, Poch virtually guarantees eighth.

If Poch ends up at Spurs it will be because at least three other candidates turned them down.

Don't forget we were also told that Liverpool would want Nigel Adkins in our championship days so it's no huge leap to think Spurs would desperately want poch.

I don't get why the fuss either - I already said that Spurs are bigger than us and they feel (to themselves) even bigger and will want a "top name" manager. There are many top name managers who have won things that'd be higher on their list.

Besides, Pochettino isn't stupid - there's a rumour, let's use it to get a bigger salary.

No other job for him elsewhere ? Where do you get that from then. There are plenty of other jobs for bright football managers, some that you might not even suspect. I don't buy into the Van Gaal is a done deal thingy, he's 63 this summer and has been off of the club circuit for a while, bit of a dinosaur. When I saw his dutch side against France they were lamentably poor, it certainly wasn't a game plan that would get him anywhere in the PL.

Wasn't there an article in the Telegraph this week

hhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10749775/Mauricio-Pochettino-and-Louis-van-Gaal-on-Spurs-wish-list-as-Tim-Sherwood-prepares-to-go.html

Has he been offered a job then?

Don't forget we were also told that Liverpool would want Nigel Adkins in our championship days so it's no huge leap to think Spurs would desperately want poch.

The difference this time is that it's not just Saints fans putting him in the frame. Second favourite at the bookies, etc.

But I think various posters are right in saying that Spurs would prefer a big name.

This will not be a popular view but with each passing day the more sure I am he is leaving. I would understand his reticence to extend his deal if our future was still unresolved but the season is over, give or take one place in the table. He needs to start building BEFORE the season ends with new player recruitment etc and so the distraction of having him reluctant to extend his contract when the fans, the board and the players want him to, is something that concerns me.

The popularity or otherwise of your opinion isn't the relevant issue. It is whether it is correct or not. For myself I cannot see any particular reason to suppose he is leaving. I have no doubt that there is some hard negotiating going on but I am perhaps more optimistic than you as to the outcome.

Give poch the two mill that we were giving cortese, job done

No. He's ambitious - wants a job which gets him serious profile imo. He'll be trying to calculate whether he'll do better staying another season at Saints because the team will develop a little more, achieve top six and he'll walk into a top three club job at the end of 2014/15 (probably Arsenal) - or he should walk now and take the job at Spurs.

No. He's ambitious - wants a job which gets him serious profile imo. He'll be trying to calculate whether he'll do better staying another season at Saints because the team will develop a little more, achieve top six and he'll walk into a top three club job at the end of 2014/15 (probably Arsenal) - or he should walk now and take the job at Spurs.

This is a good point. When Arsenal went for Wenger it was a bit of a left field appointment. A bit off a risk, if you like. Seems to have worked out pretty well there despite recent lack of trophies. Mopo may be an Arsenal type of appointment.

Equally, I would say he is just what Man U. could do with.

Just cos you want MLT as manager, Keegan as DOF, Benali as Chairman you as Club Historian and Um Pahars as fanontheboard.

The only time you post is to stalk FF. A compulsive homoerotic fixation is never the best reason for posting on a football forum - maybe try having an idea or something to say?

The only time you post is to stalk FF. A compulsive homoerotic fixation is never the best reason for posting on a football forum - maybe try having an idea or something to say?

Exactly! This kind of thing has no place on a internet message board! The best place to advance such a fixation is the real world...

I get the impression that he would have stayed at Espanyol had the board there not sold his jewels from under his feet, I can imagine that is very disheartening.

Lawrie Mac always showed the beauties of living in Hampshire to prospective players before taking them to The Dell to nail them down, add to this that so many past managers and players still have properties or live in the area.

Also various comments seem to point to the fact that his family are quite happy in the area.

Ralph is also making noises that Mauricio is in his plans. And like the Mauricio has said he has a year left on his contract and there is no hurry regarding his contract.

All of this leads me to believe that the chances of him staying with us are pretty good: however all managers know that they can be binned off at the drop of a hat so they are all going to be a bit cagey.

I get the impression that he would have stayed at Espanyol had the board there not sold his jewels from under his feet, I can imagine that is very disheartening.

I get the impression he was sacked with the team bottom. Because he was and they were.

:) you obviously don't get a matchday programme Manji - there is an article in there every game by Duncan Holley club historian. Good article in today's actually on the Saint who never was. Reminds me of the fan who never was!

Lawrie Mac always showed the beauties of living in Hampshire to prospective players before taking them to The Dell to nail them down, add to this that so many past managers and players still have properties or live in the area.

Also various comments seem to point to the fact that his family are quite happy in the area.

Ralph is also making noises that Mauricio is in his plans. And like the Mauricio has said he has a year left on his contract and there is no hurry regarding his contract.

All of this leads me to believe that the chances of him staying with us are pretty good: however all managers know that they can be binned off at the drop of a hat so they are all going to be a bit cagey.

Spot on

He doesn't want to commit to Saints, unless he gets assurances that the players that he has guided to 8th/9th will still be at St Mary's NEXT season, so he can guide them towards Top Four

Over to you Katharina, Ralph AND the Players

:lol: :lol:

You realise that Markus sadly was only with us for one season and no promotions? His biggest signing was probably Fonte or Lambert at about £1m.

All promotions, all multimillion pound signings were paid for by KL.

But now she is more into Saints, attending games, smiling, the club say plans are to keep moving forward, that finances mean no player MP wants to keep will be sold and money to spend.

Where does all this KL is won't spend anymore come from?

Maybe she is reaching her limit but nothing coming out indicates that. NC's first interview was much like the recent ones talking about being mindful of being self funding.

KL has spent more than anyone else, including her father, on Saints but is portrayed as a villian. Why?

Things may change but no-one is certain to leave. MP is talking about unfinished work here. Shaw is not planning on going.

Some may go, we may not spend a fortune but just as likely players stay with a couple of good additions

In reality, that may be correct. But it is my belief that during that time Katharina was honouring Marku's wishes for his 5 year plan driven by hia appointee Cortese

Once that 5 year period had been honoured, Katharina (rightly) has addopted the mantle of Owner, and is now running the "Project"

From a Business point of view, I do not think Her emphasis is the same as her fathers.

In a sense, Saints was something Markus's used as his own personnal venture, and allowed Cortese free reign to achieve what we have achieved.

:) you obviously don't get a matchday programme Manji - there is an article in there every game by Duncan Holley club historian. Good article in today's actually on the Saint who never was. Reminds me of the fan who never was!

True I never buy the match day magazine.

I have made an extra appointment with my Psychoanalyst and will raise this point.

Does the article include the approximate address and occupation of various distant relatives of the "player"?

Such a painstaking level of chronicalisation can only add to the reader's enjoyment and certainly won't bore anyone to tears.

We're not going to be top four.

Not next season, not ever.

There is no crossroads between us being a top six team and certain doom.

Next season we are finishing somewhere between 7th (highly unlikely) and 14th.

We will probably say goodbye to a player or two. We'll make some signings too.

But we ain't magically turning into a top six mega-team. Not next season. Not ever.

We are Saints. Eighth place next season would be another brilliant season.

So get over it you bunch of fannies.

No crossroads, no sign of intent, no assurances needed.

What will be, we'll be. And we're in good hands.

This is a good point. When Arsenal went for Wenger it was a bit of a left field appointment. A bit off a risk, if you like. Seems to have worked out pretty well there despite recent lack of trophies. Mopo may be an Arsenal type of appointment.

Equally, I would say he is just what Man U. could do with.

Interesting, but that appointment was nearly twenty years ago, I'm not sure how many of the 'big four or five' who have consistently been around the Champions League places will now be prepared to gamble on young unproven but with potential managers. Chelsea certainly don't, Man City brought someone in who had just been a CL semi-finalist, and Liverpool had slumped to mid-table before gambling on Rogers.

Spurs highlight the risk of unproven managers, AVB etc, and add in the Moyes factor, his 'failure' at Man Utd will make the appointment of managers without a string of trophies already a lot less attractive. For a manager with mid-table finishes as his main achievement, I can't see MP walking in to an Arsenal, Milan, PSG job too soon. If he went to Spurs then he'd probably have two years before his career took a dive again, after Levy shuffles the pack in hope. But at least we'd have another reason to detest spurs.

But we ain't magically turning into a top six mega-team. Not next season. Not ever.

Stating the obvious a bit. I think you're only disagreeing with a pretty small minority. You're imagining there are threads full of people suggesting otherwise, but most threads are dominated by posts that shout down over optimistic expectations.

This waffle meant in friendly manner....

While most of what you say is without doubt correct why knock anyone for optimism and excitement - particularly on a fans message board?

My youngest, despite going to matches for 3 years now, often predicts a 12-0 on way to the game - even at his age, deep down he knows it won't happen but its part of him being excited. I don't tell him it won't happen, get over it you fanny....I just win his pocket money back with a bet ;)

Your prediction is probably correct.

But football being how it is we could be higher or lower next season or after.

If we finish 8th (before we see how summer goes) I disagree that it is 'highly unlikely' will could climb one position.

Of course depends whether all top clubs perform to potential, but if we keep players and maybe added a top keeper and CB,(quite possible) personally would give us a better chance to gain a position.

I appreciate its your view but saying we will never finish 6 is just that - your prediction. It is achievable and would shock few in football.

It maybe rational to predict a several seasons not challenging for Europe but clear from relegation but part of the magic of football is the excitement of dreaming upwards and fear dropping.

There are some idiots in here who defy logic with their posts - Glasgow, Barry, Alpine. But you and Turkish often post sense and interesting views just seem to take delight in knocking other people's enthusiasm.

It fans message board. Fans are meant to be supportive, biased, positive to their club.

Next season there will be three new clubs. Their fans will all want and expect to stay up. Every other club's fans will want / expect improvement. Logic says some will be wrong and too positive.

Its bizarre that being happy and supporting club became an insult on here when surely it what the board is for?

Alpine moans and says he I'd realistic - but each year its the happy deluded fans who were right ( or found to have been pessimistic themselves).

I know people get fed up with 'look where we were 5 years ago' but its shown how the OTT claims can come true.

Enjoy the game

Don't forget that Chelsea employed AVB before Spurs did.

There is risk with established, 'proven' managers as well. Mourinho was as proven as they came when he went to Real Madrid but he ultimately failed

He did win the league, and they did well enough in the CL. Hardly Moyes levels of failure.

This waffle meant in friendly manner....

While most of what you say is without doubt correct why knock anyone for optimism and excitement - particularly on a fans message board?

My youngest, despite going to matches for 3 years now, often predicts a 12-0 on way to the game - even at his age, deep down he knows it won't happen but its part of him being excited. I don't tell him it won't happen, get over it you fanny....I just win his pocket money back with a bet ;)

Your prediction is probably correct.

But football being how it is we could be higher or lower next season or after.

If we finish 8th (before we see how summer goes) I disagree that it is 'highly unlikely' will could climb one position.

Of course depends whether all top clubs perform to potential, but if we keep players and maybe added a top keeper and CB,(quite possible) personally would give us a better chance to gain a position.

I appreciate its your view but saying we will never finish 6 is just that - your prediction. It is achievable and would shock few in football.

It maybe rational to predict a several seasons not challenging for Europe but clear from relegation but part of the magic of football is the excitement of dreaming upwards and fear dropping.

There are some idiots in here who defy logic with their posts - Glasgow, Barry, Alpine. But you and Turkish often post sense and interesting views just seem to take delight in knocking other people's enthusiasm.

It fans message board. Fans are meant to be supportive, biased, positive to their club.

Next season there will be three new clubs. Their fans will all want and expect to stay up. Every other club's fans will want / expect improvement. Logic says some will be wrong and too positive.

Its bizarre that being happy and supporting club became an insult on here when surely it what the board is for?

Alpine moans and says he I'd realistic - but each year its the happy deluded fans who were right ( or found to have been pessimistic themselves).

I know people get fed up with 'look where we were 5 years ago' but its shown how the OTT claims can come true.

Enjoy the game

People can be optimistic and excited all they like.

It's the "we're at a crossroads" bo lloc ks I am against.

Be excited, be optimistic, but let's not here the whiny demands to hear the chairman promising huge spending and CL aspirations. The previous chairman did that and we got nowhere near.

What I see on this thread is not "excitement" and "optimism", but people priming themselves to get angry when this "push" for fourth/sixth doesn't happen. A player or two will leave, and we won't be spending 30-40 million net to chase the CL.

Finishing eighth next season is exciting and optimistic for me: it will be flipping tough to do. We start in August with zero points again. Do that, get to Wembley. Exciting. Optimistic.

I'm excited. I'm optimistic. What I am not is waiting for any excuse to go bats hi t mental because a player gets sold or we don't sign someone on June 2nd.

Edited by CB Fry

On the Pochettinos question, I think he's angling for both a good pay rise (fair enough) and also some assurance that the board will back him to the extent that the club can progress, which will clearly require some investment. If (and despite what some will say, few of us really have any idea) the board won't invest much, mopo will clearly think he can't progress the club enough which will harm his reputation, and affect his future earnings as a professional football manager, so I don't blame him for trying to push the issue. The players and mopo clearly think they're a few players away from a cracking team, and I agree, so I can understand their enthusiasm for the board pushing that little bit further.

I agree with the pay rise point and also don’t blame him. As to funding yes it is important but not in my view a not necessarily a deal breaker, MP has said repeatedly that he buys into the academy project and delivering success through the academy may be a challenge he relishes. I do not believe his reputation is under threat unless we end up in a relegation battle, Martinez built his reputation at Wigan, yes he won the FA Cup but his stock is built on his league achievements. That being said I want to see sensible and squad improving investment.

I agree with the pay rise point and also don’t blame him. As to funding yes it is important but not in my view a not necessarily a deal breaker, MP has said repeatedly that he buys into the academy project and delivering success through the academy may be a challenge he relishes. I do not believe his reputation is under threat unless we end up in a relegation battle, Martinez built his reputation at Wigan, yes he won the FA Cup but his stock is built on his league achievements. That being said I want to see sensible and squad improving investment.

Wow...like a breath of fresh air. A realistic, concise assessment without wild conjecture.:)

People can be optimistic and excited all they like.

It's the "we're at a crossroads" bo lloc ks I am against.

Be excited, be optimistic, but let's not here the whiny demands to hear the chairman promising huge spending and CL aspirations. The previous chairman did that and we got nowhere near.

What I see on this thread is not "excitement" and "optimism", but people priming themselves to get angry when this "push" for fourth/sixth doesn't happen. A player or two will leave, and we won't be spending 30-40 million net to chase the CL.

Finishing eighth next season is exciting and optimistic for me: it will be flipping tough to do. We start in August with zero points again. Do that, get to Wembley. Exciting. Optimistic.

I'm excited. I'm optimistic. What I am not is waiting for any excuse to go bats hi t mental because a player gets sold or we don't sign someone on June 2nd.

Fair enough.

I don't understand this over analysis of the change this summer - anymore than other years.

As I posted earlier every promotion and every multi million pound signing has been since KL owned us, not, unfortunately before her father died. She now seems more interested, they have stated they don't need to sell anyone MP wants and have money to spend. Have also said plan is to progress the club (so maybe bit higher possible) and not sell.

Manager and players such as Shaw have spoken about progress next season.

I see it much as you. No fire sale but equally no Man City level spending.

Season maybe dead but still looking forward to the game

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Why any of you dins think Spurs have any serious interest in Pochettino, a mid-table manager in two countries, I'll never know. Spurs want someone to virtually guarantee 4th, Poch virtually guarantees eighth.

If Poch ends up at Spurs it will be because at least three other candidates turned them down.

I dont think its beyond the realms of possibility that he is on their radar, though yes, realistically they will want and will pay for a top top coach. Realistically they have already got one lined up or else they wouldnt have stuck with Tim 'you dont need coaching badges' Sherwood.

Poch will be a top top manager but he certainly hasnt proven anything really yet.

Really hope the board pull their finger out with regards to Pochettino and the future of the club now, this "lets just wait until the summer" is complete ******** since we have nothing to play for anyway. Get it sorted out in the next two weeks to stop the players getting restless and put a positive mood in the club going into summer. The uncertainty around the club won't be having a positive effect on the players and they seem to be getting increasingly vocal about it.

I'm not so sure about poch right now. Our play under him is a bit one dimensional, there is no plan b.

What we struggle with now is breaking down teams that play defensively, with 2 banks of 4, getting bodies behind the ball. Parking the bus if you like. It's a consequence of our own success in a way cos we've earned some respect with the way we play which is why teams set up that way. The teams above us are good enough in their own right that they play their game and more often that not, it's good enough to beat us, despite us giving them a very good game.

Cardiff were shocking in the first half today and it was just assumed that we could walk the ball into the net. You have to earn it. You have to beat what's in front of you. Perhaps we should've drawn cardiff out of their half a bit more to make space behind.

Bottom line is we do very well against teams that play football. But, we need to figure out how to win the ugly games too. Poch hasn't shown any ability, tactically, to do that yet IMO.

I'll say that injuries and our small squad haven't helped.

I'm not so sure about poch right now. Our play under him is a bit one dimensional, there is no plan b.

Bottom line is we do very well against teams that play football. But, we need to figure out how to win the ugly games too. Poch hasn't shown any ability, tactically, to do that yet IMO.

How many managers actually have a 'plan b' ? And plans b or c that are effective ?

In my forty plus years of watching Saints, the manager with perhaps the best grasp of influencing a change in tactics was Hoddle ( cue Dalek joining the thread) , although that deserted him on occasion (most notably at Tranmere).

Adkins could and often brought about changes with substitutions , although was criticised for doing so too often (Merrington having a particular rant about two or three changes in personnel/formation at Doncaster which left players "confused").This was at a lower league level where our squad was relatively strong.

In truth, unless the manager is a top tactician, the best way of introducing a change is to have £80m worth of players on the bench to draw from. That probably allowed Sir Anal , Jose et al to appear like genius from time to time.

What we struggle with now is breaking down teams that play defensively, with 2 banks of 4, getting bodies behind the ball. Parking the bus if you like. It's a consequence of our own success in a way cos we've earned some respect with the way we play which is why teams set up that way. The teams above us are good enough in their own right that they play their game and more often that not, it's good enough to beat us, despite us giving them a very good game.

Cardiff were shocking in the first half today and it was just assumed that we could walk the ball into the net. You have to earn it. You have to beat what's in front of you. Perhaps we should've drawn cardiff out of their half a bit more to make space behind.

Not sure about Poch? we're about to finish in our highest position in a decade and are on course for our highest points haul in a long time. What exactly is there not to be sure about? Lose him at our peril.

Our problem is the lack of depth in the squad, it is just horrific. 1 injury to a first 11 player and we are pants. We have a terrific first 11, but beyond that it's still NPC quality and that has to change sharpish if we want to progress. Another manager isn't going to be able to get any more out of NPC level back up players.

Not sure about Poch? we're about to finish in our highest position in a decade and are on course for our highest points haul in a long time. What exactly is there not to be sure about? Lose him at our peril.

Our problem is the lack of depth in the squad, it is just horrific. 1 injury to a first 11 player and we are pants. We have a terrific first 11, but beyond that it's still NPC quality and that has to change sharpish if we want to progress. Another manager isn't going to be able to get any more out of NPC level back up players.

Correct, I would imagine Poch wants some assurances regarding player purchases as having to bring on Guly and Gallacher to change a game is just not going to happen.

Our squad is weak and needs some quality going forward.

Correct, I would imagine Poch wants some assurances regarding player purchases as having to bring on Guly and Gallacher to change a game is just not going to happen.

Indeed. I certainly wouldn't want to go into next season withe the squad in its present state.

Yes, absolutely agree with this. We need more quality up front to take chances - shoot more accurately more often rather than try to walk it in.

How did this forum get to the stage where if anyone says anything remotely positive about the club they are a "happy clapper" & if anyone says anything remotely negative they are a "wum" ?

Opinions are just that an individuals opinion nothing more nothing less