Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

After Reed's statement, the club would look disingenuous at best if the Mail story was true. I don't think the new board have said or done anything that suggests that.

I wouldn't trust another Cortese press mouthpiece as far as I could throw it. Still reckon De Boer will go there. Working for Levy is pretty crap though. Nothing more than a modern day Peter Swales, 'look at me, I'm in charge. Hire and fire'. Spurs will never be a top 4 club. They missed their chance when they turned down Abramovich.

Perhaps, how would Levy know about his grasp of English though, after match jollies perhaps.

I wonder what language people think he is speaking when he talks to the players, refs, opposition managers etc.

You'd have to be a complete ****-wit to believe his English isn't decent, even from a far.

I just have a feeling he'll still be here next year. I don't think he'll sign a new contract though.

Make of that what you will.

Would be a strange scenario. A new deal would probably come with a pay rise and clauses so if he stays I am sure he would sign a new contract.

Would be a strange scenario. A new deal would probably come with a pay rise and clauses so if he stays I am sure he would sign a new contract.

He's still got 1 year left though, whatever happens. May well be that he bides his time and gets a feel for the direction the club is going in before he commits. I think he wants to stay and isn't looking for a move, but probably nervous to commit long-term until the future goals are clear.

I think MP will stay - De Boef to Spurs.

We shall see, there a lot of seats empty on the merry go round to be filled this summer. Until the ride starts it's difficult to

predict who'll end up where. Barcelona is the key, if they sack Martino (which is likely apparently because they don't tolerate failure round that way) then the great manoeuvres will start to fall into place.

I can understand that contract talks might have been put on hold until the end of the season, but he hasn't demonstrated a desire to stay and build something here.

When's the last time a manager did a photoshoot on the pitch humping the grass and screaming the name of the club?

Declaring a decision to stay weakens his position when negotiating a transfer budget and contract. I mean, imagine this: he tells the press he loves the club and wants to stay, we all rejoice. Then we sit him down and say he'll be given no money and 3 or 4 key players will be sold. In that case he would - understandably - want to leave. From there his options would either be to stay at a stagnating club or leave with a tarnished reputation*.

If the club aren't initiating talks till the end of the season then he'd be a complete idiot to say anything.

* for the record, I don't believe there's a chance in hell that any of that will happen - it's just to illustrate the dangers of being so open to the press

We shall see, there a lot of seats empty on the merry go round to be filled this summer. Until the ride starts it's difficult to

predict who'll end up where. Barcelona is the key, if they sack Martino (which is likely apparently because they don't tolerate failure round that way) then the great manoeuvres will start to fall into place.

It'll all kick off if Guardiola becomes irreconcilable at Bayern as well. Barcelona might want him back and United might try to stall Van Gaal at the last minute

Edited by DuncanRG

Another rehash of the same story. No quotes. I say again Reed must have some sort of agreement with Mo Po for him to say what he did.

No player's gonna give him quotes.

I'm not surprised some players are worried, they're reading the same stuff as us.

Yep. Reed. Planning pre season. Loved by the players and fans. Feels we can improve. Best season he has had anywhere (arguably). IMO yes but plenty of reason for it

Too easy to say.

If he really felt that he could easily have put an end to Spurs speculation.

If the club know he intends to leave or get the feeling that he will, then the way we have handled his whole episode is horrendously weak and hopefully not a sign of things to come.

What should they have done, then?

What should they have done, then?

If he isn't going to stay and they know that then they should have announced it. Put the pressure on him - then fans could be angry with MP rather than the club.

Of the two who is in control here? Seems to me like its not the club...which is never ideal.

Yep. Reed. Planning pre season. Loved by the players and fans. Feels we can improve. Best season he has had anywhere (arguably). IMO yes but plenty of reason for it

Don't disagree with you, and hope you're correct but the bit in bold worries me as its a bit of a twin edge sword. As he's done well his stock is at its highest, and given he probably feels he stayed at Espanyol longer than he needed (ie in time for things to go on a downward spiral), so he may seek to take maximum advantage of his popularity now.

Don't want him to leave but if he does just hope its not to the spurs, still detest those c^nts from the Hoddle, Richards saga, throw in Bale/Forecast etc it gets worse.

If he isn't going to stay and they know that then they should have announced it. Put the pressure on him - then fans could be angry with MP rather than the club.

Of the two who is in control here? Seems to me like its not the club...which is never ideal.

No its not, except he has a year left on his contract. Would we have the nerve to say "no, we're not accepting your resignation, gardening leave for 12 months"

Your suggestion is ridiculous.

He is under contract, Spurs will need to request permission. At that point we then see if Poch wants to go and if he does we get on with screwing the North London yobbos for as much as we can.

Saints "announcing" that we think our manager wants to leave would make us look pathetic.

Your suggestion is ridiculous.

He is under contract, Spurs will need to request permission. At that point we then see if Poch wants to go and if he does we get on with screwing the North London yobbos for as much as we can.

Saints "announcing" that we think our manager wants to leave would make us look pathetic.

Not "announcing", but all this we are comfortable" is almost more tinpot, allowing another club to muscle in on our Manager.

End of the day the club could make him decide now. If he won't commit to us then no point doing all this planning.

Too easy to say.

Cant blame him for ignoring your suggestion. Wants a better deal, thats all. If he were to say "no I am going nowhere, no matter what", then he would be a very poor negotiator

You're speaking a lot of rubbish here, Charlie.

Why? Are you happy with the situation? The Spurs stuff has been rumbling on for two months and has created a lot of uncertainty.

No need to wait til the end of the season to resolve, there never has been.

If, and its obviously an if, Poch ends up leaving then Reed and Kruger's statements about being comfortable with the situation are laughable.

Its not like the bargaining position of the club is low. If MP wants to stay then why not say it? If he doesn't then why not just say that and then instead of everyone moaning at the club they will know its not them, its MP.

If they both are happy he will stay then why not, in a roundabout way, just say that. It would probably then have a knock on impact with players etc, who also seem to have no idea whats going on.

Whole thing seems silly and has IMO lost us a bit of the feelgood factor that should go alongside the best PL season we have had.

IMO that isn't overly stupid.

Too easy to say.

You reckon? Doesn't matter what anybody says or even does, speculation in the media about Pochettino going to Spurs will carry on regardless. If he were to sign a five-year contract in the centre circle before the game next Sunday and wipe his arse on a Spurs shirt afterwards, there'd still be stuff in the press about how Spurs would not see this as insurmountable, that they'll get their man regardless, etc. etc. And there'd still be people on forums such as this one saying how it's just a ploy to sell season tickets, he's off anyway, repeat ad nauseam.

As an example, I remember reading not long back that, in spite of Klopp having said he's really not interested in the Man Utd job, this would just mean that Man Utd would have to work harder to get him. So what could Pochettino and Saints do to quell media blather?

Not "announcing", but all this we are comfortable" is almost more tinpot, allowing another club to muscle in on our Manager.

End of the day the club could make him decide now. If he won't commit to us then no point doing all this planning.

Basically you have absolutely no idea what is happening.

Reed's rebuttal the other day was one of the most comprehensive I have ever heard from a SFC executive, ever. If you want to dismiss all of it for the sake of your own paranoia then fine.

But your suggestion is we should sack our manager the second he happens to be linked with another club in a newspaper. Because that won't make us look tin-pot, now will it?

Basically you have absolutely no idea what is happening.

Reed's rebuttal the other day was one of the most comprehensive I have ever heard from a SFC executive, ever. If you want to dismiss all of it for the sake of your own paranoia then fine.

Reed's rebuttal was great but he wasnt so strong re MP.

He just said the club were comfortable with it.

MP when asked has been evasive which if both parties know he will stay just seems pointless.

No doubt that MP's comments or lack of have done more to fuel the speculation than dampen it.

Which is odd, if he wants to stay that he is also happy to create uncertainty which the players are obviously feeling to. Why is that in the best interests of the club?

MP when asked has been evasive which if both parties know he will stay just seems pointless.

No doubt that MP's comments or lack of have done more to fuel the speculation than dampen it.

Which is odd, if he wants to stay that he is also happy to create uncertainty which the players are obviously feeling to. Why is that in the best interests of the club?

He could say "I am definitely not leaving Southampton".

And in three weeks time, when Spurs make an approach, he could decide he wants to go to Spurs after all.

In actual real life, nothing happens until something happens. At best Poch is Spurs second choice, so obviously there is no offer there for MP right now.

"Saying something" really makes no difference. The speculation was dealt with as well as it could be and you are still paranoid. So who has got the problem?

Quite frankly if you think Mauricio Pochettino is going to stay at Southampton for years on end you are going to be sorely, sorely disappointed. If he doesn't go this year, he's gone next.

Quite frankly if you think Mauricio Pochettino is going to stay at Southampton for years on end you are going to be sorely, sorely disappointed. If he doesn't go this year, he's gone next.

I obviously don't think he will be here for decades but would certainly be frustrated if he isn't here next season.

Which is, I am sure, the same as most fans.

Just seems a shame that in our best season this stuff is all thats been in the press the last month or so.

You seriously think comments he makes or in this case doesn't make to the media are going to unsettle the players who see him and hear from him everyday in training and in the dressing room ? I bet they haven't got a clue what he says in after match interviews and Press Conferences. You think they sit and wait for Adam Blackmore to post a link to MP's interview onTwitter ?

You seriously think comments he makes or in this case doesn't make to the media are going to unsettle the players who see him and hear from him everyday in training and in the dressing room ? I bet they haven't got a clue what he says in after match interviews and Press Conferences. You think they sit and wait for Adam Blackmore to post a link to MP's interview onTwitter ?

Have you not seen the comments from Fonte, Lambert, Clyne, Schneiderlin and Lallana then?

The players want to know who the Manager will be in seem like they don't know for sure....so maybe he hasnt told them if he intends to stay or not. Of course they care, its their careers. Someone like Fonte has improved immeasurably under MP so think he will care if he stays or not.

Manager is key to the future of some players and certainly the morale of playing staff.

I obviously don't think he will be here for decades but would certainly be frustrated if he isn't here next season.

Just seems a shame that in our best season this stuff is all thats been in the press the last month or so.

Well, just enjoy it.

This is the season we finished eighth.

It is not the beginning of a decade of Top 6/European football glass ceiling shattering wonderment.

Forget all that. If players or managers do exceptionally well at Southampton Football Club, they soon end up elsewhere.

As it goes, we have the resources to keep more for longer than ever before.

But not all, and not forever.

The club will do what they can. But we won't keep them all and all the statements in the world are not going to change that.

Just enjoy the season. We done great.

Well, just enjoy it.

This is the season we finished eighth.

It is not the beginning of a decade of Top 6/European football glass ceiling shattering wonderment.

Forget all that. If players or managers do exceptionally well at Southampton Football Club, they soon end up elsewhere.

As it goes, we have the resources to keep more for longer than ever before.

But not all, and not forever.

The club will do what they can. But we won't keep them all and all the statements in the world are not going to change that.

Just enjoy the season. We done great.

Selling your best players doesn't mean you automatically become worse. Everton sold Fellaini last summer and look all the better for it. If Saints lose Shaw and/or Lallana and buy well in the summer the squad could be better than it was this year, ideally with more depth to it.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Cast your mind back to January 2007. We were a Championship side, hoping for promotion, with a startlingly good young left back in our team. There was masses of speculation in the press that Gareth Bale would be off to a bigger club in that transfer window. Not a word came out of SFC to deny all this speculation; this in turn was jumped on by many posters on this forum's predecessor, as they believed it showed beyond doubt that Bale would indeed be off by the end of January.

By contrast, Birmingham City's then manager, Steve Bruce, stated clearly and categorically that their central defender, Matthew Upson, was not for sale and would not be leaving the club. This certainty and determination was applauded by many S4E posters, and held up as being exactly the type of statement that SFC should make about Bale. However, Bruce's bold words did nothing to quell the media speculation regarding Upson.

At the end of that January transfer window, Gareth Bale was still a Saints player. Matthew Upson had signed for West Ham. So much for words and statements.

Have you not seen the comments from Fonte, Lambert, Clyne, Schneiderlin and Lallana then?

The players want to know who the Manager will be in seem like they don't know for sure....so maybe he hasnt told them if he intends to stay or not. Of course they care, its their careers. Someone like Fonte has improved immeasurably under MP so think he will care if he stays or not.

Manager is key to the future of some players and certainly the morale of playing staff.

Perhaps Pochettino and the players are working to the same script - they all want to stay but only if A) Pochettino stays, B) all the key players stay, and C) there's decent money for squad strengthening. That's one side of what seems like an impasse, and uncertainty works in their favour when it comes to putting the pressure on the other side.

Katharina and Krueger would very much like all of them to stay but they probably want to sell Shaw in order to make A) and C) happen. That's the other side of what seems like an impasse.

But it's not really an impasse at all - at least yet, because those things can't really be resolved before the end of the season.

Unfortunately, trying to sit in the middle is Les Reed, who might be more of a liability than an asset when it comes to big decision times like this.

More dross: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/next-tottenham-manager-roberto-martinez-3499900

But if you believe that, and that Spuds had been courting MP, then it might suggest MP telling them "no". But that does rely on believing all these rumours. Having said that, the amount of money spent on Staplewood and the fact that the Chairman (I think it was him) said that the Club wanted to bring through youngsters and that the manager would not be blamed for things if they weren't immediately successful, is a fairly good backing for a manager who wants to be a coach/manager. By that, there seem to be some managers who want to bring through youngsters and create top players, and there are others who want to buy the ready product. For the former, is there a better club to be at than Saints?

Too easy to say.

And lose his hand in contract negotiations?

He'll want a good transfer budget and better personal terms. Committing to Saints before the talks have even begun puts him in a weak position. Staying quiet gives him leverage.

This really isn't difficult to understand. Managers facing uncertainty don't declare unequivocal loyalty unless they're facing the sack, like Tim Sherwood.

You may have seen Tony Pulis's post match interview last night. There are few to no press rumours about clubs coming in for him, but he refused to commit to Palace and made it quite explicit that he wanted the chairman to back him financially. Do we all expect him to be manager of Crystal Palace next season? Erm, yes.

Edited by DuncanRG

He'll want a good transfer budget and better personal terms. Committing to Saints before the talks have even begun puts him in a weak position. Staying quiet gives him leverage.

This really isn't difficult to understand. Managers facing uncertainty don't declare unequivocal loyalty unless they're facing the sack, like Tim Sherwood.

You may have seen Tony Pulis's post match last night. There are little to no press rumours about clubs coming in for him, but he refused to commit to Palace and made it quite explicit that he wanted the chairman to back him financially. Do we all expect him to be manager of Crystal Palace next season? Erm, yes.

To be honest even if he signs a 10 year contract in the next week there will be talk on here about him leaving before Christmas, after a defeat it will be "is he really that good" etc etc

It doesnt matter what happens, people love to speculate and Saints fans, well a lot on here, want to believe the bad stuff and dismiss the good stuff. Even if the club announced every single day that MP, Shaw, Lallana and co were definitely staying then before the following day announcement according to some on here they would be leaving !

Such things as you discuss in your post, bargaining tools, are too subtle for the jam tomorrow brigade ;-)

You may have seen Tony Pulis's post match last night. There are little to no press rumours about clubs coming in for him, but he refused to commit to Palace and made it quite explicit that he wanted the chairman to back him financially. Do we all expect him to be manager of Crystal Palace next season? Erm, yes.

Spot on. I tried to explain this too but you have done a more comprehensive job

According to the Daily Star:

"Spurs are weighing up a shock approach for the Everton boss after overlooking him two years ago. White Hart Lane chairman Levy opted for Andre Villas-Boas ahead of the Spaniard to replace Harry Redknapp. Having seen how things have turned out for Villas-Boas and Martinez, Levy has realised he got it wrong. Villas-Boas lasted just 17 months at Spurs, despite spending £108m last summer. And though Martinez went down with Wigan a year ago, he has enhanced his reputation by leading them to FA Cup glory and bouncing back from relegation by working wonders at Everton this season. Spurs supremo Levy is now considering testing Everton's resolve to hang on to their impressive manager. The Toffees failure to qualify for the Champions League has given Spurs a boost."

.... and we all thought they wanted Mauricio! How stupid can we be?