Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

Pochettino share many characterisitcs/mannerisms with Kenny Dalglish. He could be perceived as surly, difficult, non-committal. Essentially, though I jsut feel they get tired of dealing with the same inane questions which have no real affect on what they will write anyway.

...... and doesn't speak English!!

Pochettino share many characterisitcs/mannerisms with Kenny Dalglish. He could be perceived as surly, difficult, non-committal. Essentially, though I jsut feel they get tired of dealing with the same inane questions which have no real affect on what they will write anyway.

They have about the same grasp of English

@alex_crook: Pochettino on his future at #saintsfc 'It's up the board to discuss with me the new project that will be in place starting next season.'

Are we going to be stripes? Who's going to sponsor us? All existential dealbreakers.

I find his comments quite reassuring. I think he's happy to see out his contract but also happy to discuss a longer one if the club show a desire to push on. Good, no?

I think the new Board should know now about summer budgets and desire to push on though. Or certainly be in a position to tell Pochettino what is what. That said, maybe they are and the moment the season is over they talk.

bleedin' eck Saint Charlie: are you as much of a drama queen in real life? You take any word uttered by the club and put a negative slant on it.

MP said he wanted to talk at the end of the season: project ending is we have reached the goals set out however long ago. Now what is next?

No-one knows right now but will in the fullness of time. And to say that MP says we are clueless is one of the most ridiculous things I have read on here (and that's saying something).

Whatever happens we will still have our club and KL appears to be in it for the long run. Lets not forget where we were a few short years ago.

Key thing here is that the Academy is rolling out talent. It would be crazy to think we can keep everyone for their whole career: by selling the occasional Academy star it brings big revenue into the club and the next generation then comes through. Worked for Ajax why not us?

Chill out and just appreciate what a great season we have had.

I have loved this season and am quite relaxed but its annoying when people pretend like everything ok is when it clearly isn't.

I went to the Awards on Tuesday. MP left very quickly after the ceremony, out of a back/side enterance whilst people were waiting to shake his hand and congratulate him on a good season. The Chairman and Les Reed keep saying they are "comfortable" with it, which is obviously not the case - MP is completely in control of the situation, not them.

MP says we havent spoken to Cork about his contract, haven't told him of the plans for the next phase of the clubs life, and don't seem to have made many decisions in the last few months.

We didnt bother getting in a striker even on loan to replace Osvaldo.

Key thing is the Academy is rolling out talent. Agree to an extent, but to over rely on that is a dangerous game.

Next season we will start it with no Jay Rod, most likely no Lallana and very possibly no Shaw or Schneiderlin.

We had better hope they have bothered to plan for these eventualities because if you take quality out the team and very possibly lose the best Manager we have had for ages then its a slippery slope.

Why spend a lot of time and money to build a quality squad with a quality Manager and then be not that bothered for it to be ripped apart.

The only difference between Saints and clubs like Hull, Stoke, Swansea, Villa, WBA, West Ham, Norwich, Fulham etc is that we have better players than them and a better Manager.

Allow those to leave and next year in all honesty we will be back to where we were the year before, our first back in the PL, which to me is a shame. But we might have stripes, a local sponsor and some good books.

On the football side, who is actually in control at Saints, driving the strategy and providing the expertise.

Aside from Reed they are all complete novices which worries me. Some of Krueger's comments in isolation are utterly bizarre.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Saint Charlie

your obviously an expert on reading between the lines comments, did you use to advise Richard Nixon

Oh I listen to the Radio Solent Interview

no wonder he was hacked off with the same questions if he had already done interviews this morning

I have loved this season and am quite relaxed but its annoying when people pretend like everything ok is when it clearly isn't.

I went to the Awards on Tuesday. MP left very quickly after the ceremony, out of a back/side enterance whilst people were waiting to shake his hand and congratulate him on a good season. The Chairman and Les Reed keep saying they are "comfortable" with it, which is obviously not the case - MP is completely in control of the situation, not them.

MP says we havent spoken to Cork about his contract, haven't told him of the plans for the next phase of the clubs life, and don't seem to have made many decisions in the last few months.

We didnt bother getting in a striker even on loan to replace Osvaldo.

Key thing is the Academy is rolling out talent. Agree to an extent, but to over rely on that is a dangerous game.

Next season we will start it with no Jay Rod, most likely no Lallana and very possibly no Shaw or Schneiderlin.

We had better hope they have bothered to plan for these eventualities because if you take quality out the team and very possibly lose the best Manager we have had for ages then its a slippery slope.

Why spend a lot of time and money to build a quality squad with a quality Manager and then be not that bothered for it to be ripped apart.

The only difference between Saints and clubs like Hull, Stoke, Swansea, Villa, WBA, West Ham, Norwich, Fulham etc is that we have better players than them and a better Manager.

Allow those to leave and next year in all honesty we will be back to where we were the year before, our first back in the PL, which to me is a shame. But we might have stripes, a local sponsor and some good books.

On the football side, who is actually in control at Saints, driving the strategy and providing the expertise.

Aside from Reed they are all complete novices which worries me. Some of Krueger's comments in isolation are utterly bizarre.

It's alright mate, we'll get a good manager and can use all the money from the transfer fees to sign players and have a few nice seasons in mid-table and a good cup run.

St Charlie

when you said he left early at the awards, what time did he leave and which other memebers of the coaching staff etc left with him or shortly before or afterwards?

Well the awards ended quite late but he didn't hang around afterwards like many of the players, KL and Krueger did. Left with the coaching staff.

He was probably in at Staplewood very early the next morning as usual, but to me he didn't look like someone who was just happy about the season we had and wanted to meet and chat to supporters.

Compared to how happy he looked on the stage last year speaking English, it seemed odd also that he didnt speak, there would have been ample opportunities for him to literally say a couple of sentences. Even the groundsman did.

It's alright mate, we'll get a good manager and can use all the money from the transfer fees to sign players and have a few nice seasons in mid-table and a good cup run.

Depending what happens in the summer, lower mid table could represent a great season.

Jesus christ are the media obsessed with us at the minute. How many times has the club got to say they'll sort it out in the summer and the press keep going "how about now......how about now"

By then it will be FAR too late

Speculation about players of all Clubs has already in full swing

I think it is very simple. If Pochettino was staying, he would have signed a 3/4 year deal LONG ago. Why all the faffing around

The likes of Liverpool have cemented their Managerial future with Rogers .... we havn't been able to do the same with Pochettino

Why not ? because Liverpool's cause is onward and upwards.

Ours isn't. Why is it so hard for people to see that ?

(In spite of C.B Fry's usual slagging off, I will shortly be proved correct)

By then it will be FAR too late

Speculation about players of all Clubs has already in full swing

I think it is very simple. If Pochettino was staying, he would have signed a 3/4 year deal LONG ago. Why all the faffing around

The likes of Liverpool have cemented their Managerial future with Rogers .... we havn't been able to do the same with Pochettino

Why not ? because Liverpool's cause is onward and upwards.

Ours isn't. Why is it so hard for people to see that ?

(In spite of C.B Fry's usual slagging off, I will shortly be proved correct)

Considering the season ends in a couple of days time I don't see what difference it would now make? Obviously it would've been nice to get it sorted a while back but they've said repeatedly they want to focus on finishing the season well, remind me again how Liverpool have done these past few weeks since sorting out Roger's contract?

One of the reasons Les Reed made his statement was to try and stop Poch being asked the same questions over and over again.

unfortunately, it would seem that a certain ex member of staff still has his hooks into the media and it hasn't worked. Poch must be sick of being asked the same bull every week.

Maybe Reed was on the level. Discussions about the manager's future will start once the season ends. At the end of the day, we've got him under contract for another year anyway. Just like we have Shaw, Lallana, Cork and Morgan under contract.

Well the awards ended quite late but he didn't hang around afterwards like many of the players, KL and Krueger did. Left with the coaching staff.

He was probably in at Staplewood very early the next morning as usual, but to me he didn't look like someone who was just happy about the season we had and wanted to meet and chat to supporters.

Compared to how happy he looked on the stage last year speaking English, it seemed odd also that he didnt speak, there would have been ample opportunities for him to literally say a couple of sentences. Even the groundsman did.

Sick of being asked the same questions which he, and Reed, have already answered repeatedly

One of the reasons Les Reed made his statement was to try and stop Poch being asked the same questions over and over again.

unfortunately, it would seem that a certain ex member of staff still has his hooks into the media and it hasn't worked. Poch must be sick of being asked the same bull every week.

Maybe Reed was on the level. Discussions about the manager's future will start once the season ends. At the end of the day, we've got him under contract for another year anyway. Just like we have Shaw, Lallana, Cork and Morgan under contract.

And you really think that is worth J*ck Sh*t if anyone shows an interest

I mean, no Player ever leaves a Club whilst still under contract do they ??

Get real

Think we all knew the press would pay us more attention once we got in the Premier League, wanting anyone we have who is half decent, players, manager, coaches etc to leave and go to a bigger club but **** me I never imagined it would be this bad. As a few have said it is getting fkin tedious and I dont expect it to stop even if everyone inc MP signed a bloody 10 year contract on the pitch after Sunday's match !

Think we all knew the press would pay us more attention once we got in the Premier League, wanting anyone we have who is half decent, players, manager, coaches etc to leave and go to a bigger club but **** me I never imagined it would be this bad. As a few have said it is getting fkin tedious and I dont expect it to stop even if everyone inc MP signed a bloody 10 year contract on the pitch after Sunday's match !

Yes, its tedious and its all down to the success and style of football that MP has brought to the club; results in the players becoming higher profile. Unfortunately, we are seen as a feeder club to the top four clubs...

Even Dyke only thinks of the top clubs when dreaming up these ideas to improve the young English players.. we can achieve it without any 'B' team leagues.

Lets hope its all sorted next week and we have a project that satisfies MP.

I think he's in the same position as us, all he's hearing at the moment is talk and until he see's some actual action and plans...then he's not going to commit anything to it.

Who would? In 4 weeks we could lose Shaw, Morgan, Lovren, Lallana and there he is sat on a new contract.....I think the club need to demonstrate what their project is, what their plan is, and put it into action pretty sharpish, otherwise we face entering a period of complete limbo, and after having such a good season and the club being in such a strong position....that would be the biggest cockup ever.

I know we can never be sure what's going on in the background, but I think it's a pretty clear insight into it from MP's comments. The club don't seem to have any idea yet.

You dont just get rid, this is about assessing his position, you cant blame him for that. NC showed and supported ambition. We dont know what the plans are moving on with the new board.

Besides, if Poch does leave it will because the new 'project' shows a lack of ambition, I really dont know who we would get in to just stabilise. Of coarse itll be a decent manager but at Poch's level ? Doubtful

Poch wasn't at "Poch ' s level" when we hired him.

I think he's in the same position as us, all he's hearing at the moment is talk and until he see's some actual action and plans...then he's not going to commit anything to it.

He really isn't. He's not and never will be a Saints fan. He's a man who could double or triple his wages and raise his profile hugely.

It's sweet people think he is fretting about the "Project" at a club in a city that two years ago he couldn't point to on a map.

We could give him a transfer budget of fifty million and he could still want to go to Spurs.

Poch wasn't at "Poch ' s level" when we hired him.

Your an intelligent chap CB, you know what I meant, he certainly raised his profile but his technical attributes as a coach were always there.

He really isn't. He's not and never will be a Saints fan. He's a man who could double or triple his wages and raise his profile hugely.

It's sweet people think he is fretting about the "Project" at a club in a city that two years ago he couldn't point to on a map.

We could give him a transfer budget of fifty million and he could still want to go to Spurs.

Im not entirely sure about this, of course there is a certain amount of him attempting to raise his salary, its just daft to not negotiate after the job he did. Im not sure he is just sat waiting on the spurs job though, its a bigger job then us of course but realistically its gamble, do well and it heightens his career, flop and he is back to square one, agreed its sort of still like that here but he will be a bit more protected.

'Hanging on to hear the project' not quite like that I doubt, but I reckon he wants to know budgets and ambitions, or else whats the point ? Id argue he hasnt had official word yet, hence the pointing at the boardroom he did in his press conference.

But thats just me, Im realistic, theres better jobs out there and he wont stay to just keep us midtable IMO

Hoping Liverpool's stance with Suarez last summer will set a new president showing that contracts do actually mean something !

What the contract that said Suarez could leave if someone bid over £40m yet seemed to mean nothing as Liverpool refused to acknowledge the bid?

It would be nice though if all the comments from Poch about '12 months left, so what's the problem' were genuine. I'm less convinced after today's interview, but can't get worked up about it. The owners are not going to gift the club £100m to give the current players mega contracts and sign players that will get us into top 6, so I guess it's inevitable that the team will break up.

Edited by Chez

I think Pochettino knows that there might be a better, more secure job waiting for him if he continues to succeed with us for another season or more. Spurs, as it's been acknowledged, is a risk and some of the top, top clubs might be thinking about him if he improves on this season. We've seen him linked with Real and PSG already - very premature at the moment but he might see the merit in biding his time before leaving.

He would have signed up if he saw a plan/project that he liked, including reassurances about player policy, so I'm guessing that isn't forthcoming which should worry us - not just from whether poch will be leading the team next year but also just how many of our players will get sold.

Krueger talked of a modest and realistic ambition (or something like that) when he joined, which for me means not pushing for further improvement but a consolidation of our position as an 8th-10th placed team. This means our youth policy will take a step back to selling for a profit.

Shame. Krueger comes across as a nice guy, albeit slightly preppy north american corporate, but I think he's going to be pretty ruthless in his execution of the new plan. Selling the silver with a smile on his face, telling us that its the most realistic and sensible way for the club to operate and how the amazing fans of the southampton saints soccer squad are thrilled to still be in the premeeership league.

I really hope I'm wrong and will dine on an old shoe if I am.....

If he does leave can I be the first to recommend Jorge Sampaoli current head coach of Chile who wants to coach in Europe after the world cup and who has been studying English and Italian in preparation.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1894861-tighes-2014-world-cup-tactics-board-analysing-jorge-sampaolis-chile

http://www.ilovechile.cl/2014/03/07/sampaoli-leave-world-cup/104631

If he does leave can I be the first to recommend Jorge Sampaoli current head coach of Chile who wants to coach in Europe after the world cup and who has been studying English and Italian in preparation.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1894861-tighes-2014-world-cup-tactics-board-analysing-jorge-sampaolis-chile

http://www.ilovechile.cl/2014/03/07/sampaoli-leave-world-cup/104631

A very good suggestion.

Other suggestions:

Seen a bit of talk that Poyet has a break clause in his contract that comes into play at the end of the season and he is being cagey on his future, rumour is he may be eyeing up the West Ham job. Might not go down well with some fans though given past remarks about the team, also the way his time at Brighton ended may suggest questionable mental strength.

David Moyes? out of work as we all know. People shouldn't let his season at Man U undermine the job he did at Everton, I'd have him here without question if Poch leaves.

As for lower league, Eddie Howe perhaps? Pompey past may sour some, but you can't deny the job he has done at Bournemouth.

This suggests he's genuinely undecided. But the signs are not good.

He's said all along, even after nc went that he would wait until the summer to discuss a contract. It even mentions part of his philosophy is focus on the job in hand in the article.

He's in a great negotiating position as he has made it appear truthfully or not he's not really bothered, and he has alternatives.

This suggests he's genuinely undecided. But the signs are not good.

Only have to hear his recent interviews to see its not playing out well.

Makes you wonder just what he is being told by the club.

When the new board came in we all realised the most clear sign of their ambitions would be revealed in whether or not they managed to keep MP.

Now it looks like he will go...not a great endorsement. Too much talk and not enough action. They haven't made one visible action on the football side. Nothing on the contracts of Cork, Jay or Fonte. Nothing on MP. No Osvaldo replacement. Not great.

those that celebrated the departure of NC may rue the day yet. At least with him and all his faults we knew that he was focussed on bringing ML's wishes to fruition. No club could unsettle our players or expect to buy them with him in charge. i suspect the Financial difficulties quote woke up quite a few clubs to fact that we were again a selling club.

Bottom 6 finish next season if MP goes IMO

He's said all along, even after nc went that he would wait until the summer to discuss a contract. It even mentions part of his philosophy is focus on the job in hand in the article.

He's in a great negotiating position as he has made it appear truthfully or not he's not really bothered, and he has alternatives.

Yes you're quite right, he's been consistent in what he's said and I took him at face value. But with the passage of time I feel the balance has shifted in favour of him going.

The ball is very clearly in the boards court.

Personally I believe he'll go as will 3-4 top players and we will be battling relegation all next season.

It's looking likely that will be the case - although as long as we get the replacement right we should be clear of the bottom three dross. But Fulham fans probably thought that this time last year.

It's looking likely that will be the case - although as long as we get the replacement right we should be clear of the bottom three dross. But Fulham fans probably thought that this time last year.

Is that what you meant by 'aspirational and credible vision' from our Darling of Davos?

It's certainly credible. I'll give you that Small Fry.

Edited by shurlock

Have to agree with this, as annoying the poison dwarf was at least he had ambition. I get the feeling the 'fan friendly' approach is setting us up for a fall here