Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

Paul Smith

@Smudge1962

Tottenham will not pursue their interest in Ajax's Frank de Boer paving the way for Mauricio Pochettino to become their new boss #THFC

So who is this character ? Any track record of getting things correct?

The level of detail you have provided, suggests you may well be correct, but without the time or inclination to validate it, it is at odds with every report or article I have ever read about him.

My understanding is the club had crippling debts of 150 million euros, the big players were shipped out and he used 20 youngsters (Probably what put him on Cortese's radar).

Your posting history, makes it easier to dismiss, but I am sure someone will correct your post if you are wrong.

I dont doubt he needed to sell - he did. He sold FIVE 1st team players and raised 40-50m in the process. But he was also allowed to sign players and spent 20-30m in his 3 years at Espanyol.

He signed over 40 players in his time at Espanyol -

Adrián Luna

Aldo Duscher

Álvaro Vázquez

Ángel Martínez *

Ben Sahar

Coro *

Coutinho *

Dídac Vilà

Ernesto Galán

Facundo Roncaglia *

Felipe Mattioni

Fernando Marqués

Grégory Béranger *

Héctor Moreno

Iván Pillud *

Javi López

Javi Márquez

Jesús Dátolo

Joan Verdú

Jônatas *

Jordi Amat

Juan Ángel Albín

Juan Forlín

Julián López *

Kalu Uche

Kiko Casilla

Manuel Molina

Milan Smiljanic *

Pablo Osvaldo

Raúl Baena

Raúl Rodríguez

Román Martínez *

Romaric *

Rui Fonte

Sergio García

Shunsuke Nakamura

Thievy Bifouma

Valdo *

Víctor Ruiz

Víctor Sánchez

Vladimír Weiss *

Wálter Pandiani

Wellington Baroni

I dont doubt he needed to sell - he did. He sold FIVE 1st team players and raised 40-50m in the process. But he was also allowed to sign players and spent 20-30m in his 3 years at Espanyol.

So your original post was complete and utter horse sh!t.

Many people think Saints have a very good Manager in Pochettino, and they wonder why a long term contract to keep him has not been done by now

Makes me wonder if the likes of Liverpool will think ahead and sign THEIR Manager to a long term deal before us ?

It's almost as if MoPo is NOT interested in committing to SFC ?? Surely not ?

And as for all the useless spiel that Reed and Krueger are coming out with

Well, I hope everyone Renews their ST before 30th May. Ralph and Les will have run out of ways to Stonewall by then

Blind Faith ( a very good group )

Many people think Saints have a very good Manager in Pochettino, and they wonder why a long term contract to keep him has not been done by now

Makes me wonder if the likes of Liverpool will think ahead and sign THEIR Manager to a long term deal before us ?

Well, I hope everyone Renews their ST before 30th May. Ralph and Les will have run out of ways to Stonewall by then

When I asked the people that I sit with if they are renewing their ST's for next season they all said yes. Not one said: depends who we sell/sign or if the manager leaves. That's because they support Saints.

You?

When I asked the people that I sit with if they are renewing their ST's for next season they all said yes. Not one said: depends who we sell/sign or if the manager leaves. That's because they support Saints.

You?

Yep thats what I love about Saints fans - loyal to the end.

It still amazes me that season tickets sales remained exactly the same during our drop from the prem to L1 and back again.

Most loyal fans on the planet imho

Never knowingly not swivel - eyed.

Yep thats what I love about Saints fans - loyal to the end.

It still amazes me that season tickets sales remained exactly the same during our drop from the prem to L1 and back again.

Most loyal fans on the planet imho

Kindly explain how, after stagnating in the Champ for 5 years with owners we hate, finally being relegated to league 1, is in any way comparable to our third season back in the most supported league in the world and not buying enough players?

But he only sold FIVE 1st team players - that’s like saying AVB had to sell "all his best players" cos he got £100m for Bale

He sold players (just FIVE 1st team) over 3 seasons and was allowed to spend a lot of £'s to bring in replacements.......

Not exactly the "surviving on scraps" and "all his best players sold" myth that is peddled on here is it.

did he bring young players through, were the best players sold in the season when they were bottom, has the new man had the benefit of MP legacy of youth,and how has Adkins done?

Kindly explain how, after stagnating in the Champ for 5 years with owners we hate, finally being relegated to league 1, is in any way comparable to our third season back in the most supported league in the world and not buying enough players?

Do you support the premiership?

Do you support the owners?

Or do you support the Saints?

COYR

Here is a chart which illustrates our season ticket sales over the last 10 years -

horizontal-line.JPG

has the new man had the benefit of MP legacy of youth,and how has Adkins done?

Cant have it both ways mate :D

Has Mopo had the benefit of Adkins legacy of youth and signings?

Mopo has made 4 signings since joining us -

Lovren - Fantastic

Wanyama - TBC

Osvaldo - Nightmare

Forren - Nightmare

Mopo is using/relying on the youth and team signed / nurtured under Adkins and Pardew? no?

Pochettino signed Forren.....good one. :D

I will copy and save that one for the future!

Must be tough though to be a football coach/manager cause apparently players you have never gets better under your work....all that matters is who you sign to decide if you´re good or not.

Pochettino signed Forren.....good one. :D

I will copy and save that one for the future!

Must be tough though to be a football coach/manager cause apparently players you have never gets better under your work....all that matters is who you sign to decide if you´re good or not.

Both were announced on the same day? However, hadn't MP been on talks for several weeks, or was it a committee signing?

Both were announced on the same day? However, hadn't MP been on talks for several weeks, or was it a committee signing?

Hours apart.

Find me a manager somewhere that never ever used "his" supposedly signing and I might start to believe MP was even slightly involved in the signing of Forren...

Hours apart.

Find me a manager somewhere that never ever used "his" supposedly signing and I might start to believe MP was even slightly involved in the signing of Forren...

I'm just speculating, it might have been nothing to do with MP, but we don't know. Osvaldo was an MP signing, didn't get much usage out of him did he?

Cant have it both ways mate :D

Has Mopo had the benefit of Adkins legacy of youth and signings?

Mopo has made 4 signings since joining us -

Lovren - Fantastic

Wanyama - TBC

Osvaldo - Nightmare

Forren - Nightmare

Mopo is using/relying on the youth and team signed / nurtured under Adkins and Pardew? no?

Forren was not a MP signing as far as i can recall. Whilst the picture shows MP welcoming him i think you will find it was already a done deal. To a degree he did have a legacy left behind by Adkins and Pardew, it is how you deal with it of course and MP's legacy will be far more impressive and most notable if we get him and a large chunk of the squad gone as well

Forren was not a MP signing as far as i can recall. Whilst the picture shows MP welcoming him i think you will find it was already a done deal. To a degree he did have a legacy left behind by Adkins and Pardew, it is how you deal with it of course and MP's legacy will be far more impressive and most notable if we get him and a large chunk of the squad gone as well

Surely the test of a good manager is how well they do when things aren’t perfect? If Mopo is going to run as soon as things get a little tough then is he the man for the future?

Lets face it - this season finishing 8th with our squad of players isn’t really an achievement - it was the minimum expectation.

If Mopo were to leave and no players left - id expect a half decent manager to at least repeat this seasons success - wouldnt you?

Surely the test of a good manager is how well they do when things aren’t perfect? If Mopo is going to run as soon as things get a little tough then is he the man for the future?

Lets face it - this season finishing 8th with our squad of players isn’t really an achievement - it was the minimum expectation.

If Mopo were to leave and no players left - id expect a half decent manager to at least repeat this seasons success - wouldnt you?

I'm more than happy to keep Pochettino - and I don't expect us to be able to get anyone better if he left. He's done superbly well to get our team playing as good football as we play and being very successful. Only you could find faults though

Lovren is one of the best signings I've ever seen us make - he's top drawer.

Wanyama is 21 and been brilliant this season when he's been fully fit - admittedly he's also been very poor in a few games.

Osvaldo is clearly a good player but just a lunatic.

Forren wasn't a MP signing.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your argument though.

Therein though lies the real issue, how committed are they or attached to MP for it to have an impact ?

Please put up where he is going to run because things are tough? The reason he will be going is that the football world have taken notice of how he turned a club from relegation candidates under the former manager to 8th in the PL, at the same time integrating a lot of young players into the first team. Our former manager when he left was not hunted down by a pack of headhunters but went to Reading and has not done what was expected of him, and sadly i fully expect him to be looking for a new club soon.

MP is at a professional crossroads, he could stay and hope to get 7th or look to do worse and finish 10th, we'd be uite happy either way but his stock will be worth less then. he can now move to various clubs increase his earnings considerably and also have a good transfer kitty. Reading between the lines my opinion is that RK is not going to put much money in the pot to improve the squad.

He is a fantastic manager and did very well IMO with what he had to work with, 7th-8th was the realistic finish to most of us considering the reletive (lack of) strength of the squad compared to the more established teams. Its an even better achievement considering the failed signing of Osvaldo who ultimately should have been the striker we required.

Injuries played a major part to key personel. Im hoping depth will be addressed in the summer.

Realistically MoPo is doing the right thing stalling no matter what anyone says. If I was him Id do the same, he is respected as a good coach right now considering how he has handled us this season. But to continue he needs reassurances from the board. That will be the sticking point IMO. He needs money and to keep the strong core.

Don't agree fella. 8th was a high bar, not a minimum expectation, set by The Don I guess. IMHO he's a terrific manager and I'd be very happy for him to stay next season. But his stock has risen and he'll be courted by a few, although I hope the recent managerial nonsense at Spurs will put him off that poison chalice in favour of a long stay here. He'll get better, the team will get better and as fans we will all benefit. Any change to the manager will be disruptive and negative, so let's hope he is supported by the Board and signs on that dotted line!

Ralph was keen to downplay Pochettino's impact when we spoke the other night. I think he agrees with Glasgow.

Imho we have the 8th best squad in the premiership - we finished 8th

Minimum target/expectation (fans, chairman and players) was 8th

Any manager worth their salt would have got us to 8th this season - imho

Supposedly your champion would have been Houghton ? Such was your love in with NCFCs transfer policy early in the season ?

Don't agree fella. 8th was a high bar, not a minimum expectation, set by The Don I guess. IMHO he's a terrific manager and I'd be very happy for him to stay next season. But his stock has risen and he'll be courted by a few, although I hope the recent managerial nonsense at Spurs will put him off that poison chalice in favour of a long stay here. He'll get better, the team will get better and as fans we will all benefit. Any change to the manager will be disruptive and negative, so let's hope he is supported by the Board and signs on that dotted line!
What Glasgow says is quite true though. Which of the teams below us would you say has a better squad or first XI?

We had for the majority of this season (Lovren and Wanyama injuries and Osvald's antics the same squad as last season where we finished 14th and flirted with relégation for most part of it.

This season we have finished 8th, way ahead of 10th place and the teams below that.

MP has not only improved our place in the table but you can really see all the work he has done on the training ground with the Players, improving nearly every individual and making us play really well as a team.

I'm curious who you think Would have done a similar job as MP because i really can t see who.

If MP goes we will suffer (key Players Will leave) and the brand of football Will not be the same.

What Glasgow says is quite true though. Which of the teams below us would you say has a better squad or first XI?

Last year, we were comparable to them and this year we have the same players and yet they're all better? It must be good coaching surely?

Last year, we were comparable to them and this year we have the same players and yet they're all better? It must be good coaching surely?
Good coaching yes, also a year's PL experience, the addition of Lovren and Wanyama have been worth a fair few points.