"just a town full of poles" ?

simo

The Polish community was established during or just after WW2. I believe they were put up in a camp near Hythe.

Some fought for us in WW2

We had a significant Polish community in 1969 when I found about it while working with a lad born in Southampton but of Polish ancestry.

There was a thriving Polish community then and he demonstrated Polish folk dancing to us-just like Russian on bent knees-required fantastic practice, strength and stamina.

I haven't been to Southampton except for a few games for many years, so I assume if it is popular it's because of the pre-existing community.

I'd be surprised if it had a greater percentage than Peterborough though.

I read this article and thought it was absolute boll*x.

The only good bit about it was the last paragraph which quoted a cabbie as saying something like: "...just look at all these Polish...they have completely revitalised areas of this town."

I lived in Southampton on and off for 28 years, can't remember even meeting one Polish person, didn't go to school with any, didn't play football or cricket with any, none went to the pubs I frequented. Surprised at the numbers being quoted actually.

You've avoided Shirley then. I used to work in Fitness First on the high street. Bloody loved the Polish. Easiest sales, lots of mates who would join together and generally nice people.

I lived in Southampton on and off for 28 years, can't remember even meeting one Polish person, didn't go to school with any, didn't play football or cricket with any, none went to the pubs I frequented. Surprised at the numbers being quoted actually.

Amongst many other nationalities, there are approximately 40 'Polish' children at my daughter's school . They all speak perfect English and are generally a credit to their parents.

You've avoided Shirley then. I used to work in Fitness First on the high street. Bloody loved the Polish. Easiest sales, lots of mates who would join together and generally nice people.

True I did not frequent Shirley apart from the occasional visit to Holt+Haskell or the Shield and Dagger. I probably just don't remember well it's a long time ago.

Love the Poles, there's a fair few at the university with me, and consequently in Portswood/Swaythling area. Always seem charming, and most of them have a better grasp of the English language than the average Englishman.

Never heard the song being sung & have been a season ticket holder for over 10 years!

When I used to stand in the Northam with my Brother, there were a couple of polish guys who used to regularly stand in front of us and sing songs about Rasiak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

England as a whole and Southampton has moved on a great deal since then, huge Polish population in some parts unfortunately.

I read this article and thought it was absolute boll*x.

The only good bit about it was the last paragraph which quoted a cabbie as saying something like: "...just look at all these Polish...they have completely revitalised areas of this town."

Which areas of town have they revitalised?

Not Sports Direct? I think you're unnecessarily talking down their contribution to the city.

In all seriousness, it just tickled me that the reporter expected the cabbie to launch into some racist tirade and he actually bigged up the Polish community.

In all seriousness, it just tickled me that the reporter expected the cabbie to launch into some racist tirade and he actually bigged up the Polish community.

It was a terrible article all told, but fairly amusing at the same time. Why the Editor decided to run with that I'll never know.

The Polish community was established during or just after WW2. I believe they were put up in a camp near Hythe.

Some fought for us in WW2

We had a significant Polish community in 1969 when I found about it while working with a lad born in Southampton but of Polish ancestry.

There was a thriving Polish community then and he demonstrated Polish folk dancing to us-just like Russian on bent knees-required fantastic practice, strength and stamina.

I haven't been to Southampton except for a few games for many years, so I assume if it is popular it's because of the pre-existing community.

I'd be surprised if it had a greater percentage than Peterborough though.

The world war 2 Polish community has nothing much in common with the current lot apart from the language. I grew up with the children of that older Polish community and they have integrated so well that you would never know their heritage.

The world war 2 Polish community has nothing much in common with the current lot apart from the language. I grew up with the children of that older Polish community and they have integrated so well that you would never know their heritage.

And I doubt anyone moaned about the Poles when they were flying spitfires...

And I doubt anyone moaned about the Poles when they were flying spitfires...

No argument there. They flew with no less than 18 Sqns so not just Spits. However, comparing that generation with the current generation in any nationality is like comparing apples and pears. 50 years of Soviet communism, hard living and hard drinking takes its toll on a community.

I emailed to ask where they got their story , received this reply quoting tsf!

Dear Mr Simpson

I have now spoken to the reporter and made some further enquiries and I would like to draw your attention to the following post on the Saints Web fan forum. The reporter also spoke to Southampton fans who confirmed what she wrote in the article:-

From the Saints Web

As I was walking back to Wigan North Western from the game last night, had to travel over the canal footbridge. Some Wigan monkeys giving it large on the other side of the bridge, shouting "you're just a town full of Polish". Earlier in the day, we shared a table with a Saints fan and his wife that had moved from Shirley into the Waterside 'burbs. He cited the transformation of Shirley to meet its new international needs as a major factor ( he didn't say that exactly ).

It occurs to me that Southampton, with its very high ratio of newcomers to original denizens, might be a uniquely qualified city to speak on the effects of rapid inward EU migration.

Best wishes

Philippa Kennedy

Sun Ombudsman

10% hardly constitutes full....

And as the Daily Mail article points out, they make a darned sight bigger contribution to the city economy than chavs in areas like Thornhill, Lordshill, Millbrook and Swaythling.

Chavs? You mean working class people? How dare they

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk