A Celtic Fan's View

Guided Missile

A brilliant summary here:

Lessons for picking a manager

28th May, 2014

Back in January we discussed Mauricio Pochettino, who yesterday left Southampton to become manager of Tottenham Hotspur. He is without question the hottest management property in the most bloated league in football.

He was also an unemployed flop a little over a year ago.

In reality, Pochettino is a good manager but he is also the latest in a long line of faux guru-managers, the aura of divinity around him is illusionary. He was sacked by Espanyol in December 2012 with the club bottom of La Liga after 13 games, after propelling them up the league from a similar position two years earlier. Espanyol’s problems were not Pochettino’s problems. The club strategy had been failing for years, Pochettino was not the first manager to suffer as a consequence, in fact, he was the club’s third manager in a season when he took over.

He joined Southampton, who were on a different trajectory. Southampton have been producing some of the best youth talent in the UK for a decade but a series of self-harming boardroom battles saw the club competing in the third tier of English football. In Nigel Adkins the found a man who won two consecutive promotions and had them comfortable in the Premier League.

Then, in January last year, Southampton made one of the ballsy-est decisions in football history. They sacked the successful Adkins and replaced him with the aforementioned unemployed flop.

Chairman Nicola Cortese, who was an outsider to the football industry, figured that Adkins could only take the club so far and that, with the appointment of a man in-tune with the new strategy, Southampton could make a real breakthrough at the top of the Premiership.

Pochettino did what Cortese wanted, not through obligation, but through instinct. Unfortunately for Southampton, Markus Liebharr, who appointed Cortese, died, and his daughter-and-heir, Katharine, figured the family had spent enough of their fortune on an English football club. With strategy tending towards a breakeven point, Cortese resigned. It was inevitable that Pochettino would follow.

What are the lessons for us?

Forget looking for a guru, it’s all about the strategy. Get the strategy right, only employ people who are instinctively aligned to it, and employ an intelligent, tactical student, even if he can’t speak the language.

Some of us got shouted down for daring to suggest Kat was not wedded to her father's dream.

This article is a decent summary of the situation.

Apart from the chronology being completely incorrect?

Pochettino did what Cortese wanted, not through obligation, but through instinct. Unfortunately for Southampton, Markus Liebharr, who appointed Cortese, died, and his daughter-and-heir, Katharine, figured the family had spent enough of their fortune on an English football club. With strategy tending towards a breakeven point, Cortese resigned. It was inevitable that Pochettino would follow.

So we can believe some no mark fan from 400 odd miles away who knows nothing about Saints apart from what he's read in the press or on a message board, or we can take what our chairman says:

'No timeframe has been disclosed on naming a new manager, but the Saints Chairman stressed that there’s no shortage of interested parties who are determined to build on the club’s current impressive standing as he also refuted talk of scaling back ambition, and reiterated the target of European football at St Mary’s.'

Obviously everyone has the right to believe what they want, but I will be reserving judgement before I turn into a hysterical bedwetter. I think the board couldn't hang onto Poch whatever they offered, and quite rightly weren't going to be held to ransom.

Through the sales of Shaw and Lallana and the emergence of Sims, Seager and Targett we can start the season in a much stronger position than we end it.

Are you suggesting that Sims, S eager and Targett will more than makeup for losing Shaw and Lallana next season? I've not seen anything of those three players, but they must be ****ign brilliant for that to be true.

Are you suggesting that Sims, S eager and Targett will more than makeup for losing Shaw and Lallana next season? I've not seen anything of those three players, but they must be ****ign brilliant for that to be true. Pmsl!
Edited by Didcot Saint

Are you suggesting that Sims, S eager and Targett will more than makeup for losing Shaw and Lallana next season? I've not seen anything of those three players, but they must be ****ign brilliant for that to be true.

It's odd in some ways as there are clubs where Shaw and Lallana would never have got a look in (mancity , Chelsea etc) and we could argue they only played as we were in the lower leagues so given these lads have come through the same academy system who's to know if they aren't as good? From people who have seen Targett I've read he's a carbon copy of Shaw albeit more raw ( as Shaw was before he played games ) and Sims is well ahead of where Lallana was at that age

Some of us got shouted down for daring to suggest Kat was not wedded to her father's dream.

This article is a decent summary of the situation.

I know for a 100% fact that this isn't true, she's enjoyed being at the club and surprised herself by becoming more involved than she ever thought she would, even putting some of her other business interests to one side to focus on the running of it.

I won't name my source at the club so treat it with suspicion by all means, this is the truth however.

Sorry, i should have been a bit more clear. I was suggesting reinvesting the funds from the sales of Shaw and Lallana into other players, plus the emergence of the power trio from the academy. Even though that's what i meant, the 3 youth players above are insanely good and already being watched by a number of the big clubs - not just in the prem. It doesnt just stop there either - we are head and shoulders above the majority of academies in the world. All i can say is the other clubs cannot believe what is going on at saints and are green with jealousy. Its a slow and steady process but eventually we wont have to sell these academy stars. Its about improving every season, whether small steps or big.

I admire your optimism, but for us 'not to have to sell any stars' we need to be in a place where we are attractive enough to keep them, either through wages, or Challenging for honours... It's a chicken and egg situation.. At some point if you want that to come about you do have to bite the bullet and be willing to invest to create that environment... I don't think it needs 100s of millions, something no one can do now anyway with FFP etc.... You also need a clear vision, strategy and whatever folk think about NC, or whether you believe his was possible or not, one thing was for certain. He was able to get players to believe in it... That article is right about one thing though... We do need to ensure continuity of that strategy... And this is where I think many of this countries problems with football stem from... And why the 'traditional' British manager is unpopular... They are often too much about passion and ego, entering a club and changing everything, from established methods, strategy, players and approach, turning thing upside down... When they leave the next one does the same, undermining any positives the previous May have installed... It's why NC talked about the manager being just an employee... This was not an insult, but a statement about what we were trying to create... A long term strategy that I has continuity whoever is there. It allows the selection of managers who can implement that approach, and add their own improvements, without the club losing everything when they leave.

I am am not disappointed pooch has left because he was irreplaceable, but because we are still not sure if the new board recognise the approach, and will install someone who actively warns to continue on that path, across all levels from the kids to first team...

they do that and we will continue to improve even with a few potential sales... Even with a bump down for a season - because ultimately, we have that continuity...

we'll see what happens.

The only lesson I get from this is that KL has stopped pumping money in to the club and so she needs to sell up and the new owners need to bring Cortese back!

Not sure either is truly necessary. We need some leadership, a strong managerial appointment that will inspire our players and a very clear statement saying we are no longer a selling club, we don't need to sell unless our manager says so.

Yet more pointless waffle based on nothing more than guess work, why do people persist in parading this rubbish like it is total fact straight from the horses mouth? Pochettino was clearly a good fit for us and it worked out well for both parties that's bleedin obvious the rest is just some words from a fan of Celtic who has no more idea what he's on about than the next man in the street!

The only lesson I get from this is that KL has stopped pumping money in to the club and so she needs to sell up and the new owners need to bring Cortese back!

Not sure either is truly necessary. We need some leadership, a strong managerial appointment that will inspire our players and a very clear statement saying we are no longer a selling club, we don't need to sell unless our manager says so.

RK said this yesterday in his interview with Radio Solent, not sure what more you want to hear?

RK said this yesterday in his interview with Radio Solent, not sure what more you want to hear?

In reality though it is the players who decide. Once the transfer requests are in that will be that. I do have faith that we will receive the correct fees though, and that we will re-invest substantially. . There were times in the past when this wasn't the case. That is what I took from the interview yesterday.

PMSL.......GM: your quote "Unfortunately, it is now "tending towards a breakeven point" is priceless.

For many years you have said that the club should be on a sound financial footing. Why is this now unfortunate that we are being run in a sustainable manner as opposed to a way that would only end in tears?

Would you run your business by throwing a ton of money at it with very little chance of return.

Despite the doom and gloom merchants, I am very pleased that the club will run within its means (and there is no indication that KL will not put more money in). This is the way forward for a club like Saints: not taking an almighty gamble and betting the house on red. We've been there before and nearly went out of business. have we learnt nothing?

Well Sims has really impressed me, he's basically Lallana with more pace (albeit against U-17s).

Seager I've not seen much from, and Targett only ever seems to get a mention because we usually do well with left backs, and I haven't seen him do anything yet to set him aside from, say, a Jamie Hatch - level full back. I think maybe one of them will establish themselves. Then again, I thought Jake Thomson was going to be awesome.

As for the main article, the Celtic fan knows nothing about it compared to a lot of us, and (repeat until evidence to the contrary) WE DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN YET!

God help this forum if we sell Osvaldo before signing anyone...