Lovren joins Liverpool - Official

toe_punt

If what I hear was true, Cortese lost the plot on the commercial income side.

There can't be many clubs in the EPL who couldn't sell their hospitality boxes unless, like us, you were asking stupid money for them in the first place. When clearly the boxes were not selling he would not revise the pricing strategy but rigidly stuck to a figure that would result in most of the boxes remaining empty.

Couple that with some of the stories that have been posted on the forum about upsetting sponsors and many commercial organisations in general then you wonder what the hell he was up to!!

Also didn't we get Man City's Commercial guru at some point and he only lasted a few months be interesting to know what happened there?

When are people going to realise that Lovren, Lallana and Lambert have all been tapped up and taking instructions directly or indirectly from Liverpool and Brendan Rodgers?

Lovren can't stay now after those comments. At some stage the club has to impose some discipline. Lovren has lost Saints fans now and probably the remainder of the team. To be honest his words are as bad if not worse than Lallanas.

His criticism of the clubs lack of ambition (which may have an element of truth) is nonetheless disloyal, lacks professionalism (unless he is taking instructions from Liverpool) and frankly is another example of selfishness.

Im not entirely sure how I managed to read this far without skimming, never have I read such utter dribble

Ronald Koeman was a world famous player in his day, you must young, everybody I know had heard of him! He would have had plenty of options regarding employment, hence he had the confidence to finish his contract in Holland.

This isn't the 90's, he's not a name in modern football. I and nearly everyone under 30 have no reason for knowing who he is, he's done nothing of note in his managerial career that means I should've heard of him, his fame is based on success as a player.

This isn't the 90's, he's not a name in modern football. I and nearly everyone under 30 have no reason for knowing who he is, he's done nothing of note in his managerial career that means I should've heard of him, his fame is based on success as a player.

I'm under 30 and was incredibly excited by his appointment.

He has had reasonable success in holland and won a cup in spain? So arguably a better record then MoPo who proved himself to be a very good appointment

Which parts , all sounds plausible to me !

The fact that Rodgers is pulling the strings is whimsical ******** Id say.

Like most things, your head doesnt get turned unless you've started looking, unfortunately its the clubs lack of ambition that has caused the players to look for new pastures and once theyve looked the cash on offer has convinced them.

Why does everyone believe word for word the sick journos trying to stir up discontent. Saints have every right to report Liverpool based on what's being posted in the press. Can't people see Lovren has left the door open by saying he'd never leave if we show ambitions. It's challenge to the owner, the board.

Who knows when he spoke these words. if at all? Could have been said weeks ago and being used now to whip up resentment and trouble.

Clearly just an excuse. He's seen the money the others are on, wants a bit of it himself but can use that line in an otherwise disgraceful interview to say 'well I would have stayed of they'd matched my ambitions'

They are pretty strong quotes but the solution is easy, very easy.

We say to Lovren, no means no and that's that. Lovren then starts preparing for another season at the mighty Saints.

The thing I don't get is we obviously haven't said no to him yet, so why is he making this fuss?

If what I hear was true, Cortese lost the plot on the commercial income side.

There can't be many clubs in the EPL who couldn't sell their hospitality boxes unless, like us, you were asking stupid money for them in the first place. When clearly the boxes were not selling he would not revise the pricing strategy but rigidly stuck to a figure that would result in most of the boxes remaining empty.

Couple that with some of the stories that have been posted on the forum about upsetting sponsors and many commercial organisations in general then you wonder what the hell he was up to!!

Also didn't we get Man City's Commercial guru at some point and he only lasted a few months be interesting to know what happened there?

You hear correctly. He was great at making promises and spending money, when it came to making money, not so good. Which is a bit of a problem when you're a CEO.

He has had reasonable success in holland and won a cup in spain? So arguably a better record then MoPo who proved himself to be a very good appointment

I don't follow the Dutch league so would only hear about him if he did something exceptional. I'd never heard of Pochettino either, I'm not saying he's a bad appointment but he's certainly not the huge name people are making him out to be.

Exactly - not flawless managerial history, who has, but three Dutch titles, CL quarter finalists, Copa del Rey. More than Mopo.

I find his words honest and refreshing - this is exactly what we've been crying out for from the club and the moment an employee speaks truthfully, we slate him. No wonder everyone keeps their mouths shut if this is the response.

If I could turn a £9m investment into an £11m profit, I'd be made a director at my company.

This instability should only be a short term concern, after the club reiterate their plan (and I'm sure there must be one), then we should expect to see a steady ship.

The instability is caused because we have a lack of leadership.....most depressingly because we have a female owner in a mans world no doubt.

You hear correctly. He was great at making promises and spending money, when it came to making money, not so good. Which is a bit of a problem when you're a CEO.

Id say as far as a CEO of a football club was concerned overseeing two promotions and effectively massively improving the overall value of the club wasnt bad going.

Ultimately it was the fact that his was the only opinion that mattered whether it was his money or not was his downfall

I find his words honest and refreshing - this is exactly what we've been crying out for from the club and the moment an employee speaks truthfully, we slate him. No wonder everyone keeps their mouths shut if this is the response.

If I could turn a £9m investment into an £11m profit, I'd be made a director at my company.

This instability should only be a short term concern, after the club reiterate their plan (and I'm sure there must be one), then we should expect to see a steady ship.

The instability is caused because we have a lack of leadership.....most depressingly because we have a female owner in a mans world no doubt.

Seriously? Clown.

I'm 24, my earliest memory of football is France 98 and I know who he is! He was one of the best Centre Backs to play the game jesus christ. If you know football, you know who Ronald Koeman is :mcinnes:

What a load of crap, the instablity is caused by a lack of leadership, but this down to the fact we have Reed as our 'leader' who may be able to spot a player but across as a bit wet, imagine what the players probably think of him. We need someone with more charisma who people can relate to, who can motivate and sell the club

Lovren will be hard to replace without a doubt.

But was he really so great after that mid season injury? Looked like he was living on the reputation he had built in the first part of the season to me. I also got a bit tired of his rolling about on the floor in agony routines in front of our fans that started at Palace away, and then got repeated in many games at the back end of the season.

£20+ mill from Liverpool would seem like a good price for a flat track bully. I guess the only trouble is that we need good 2 Centre Backs and I can't see much change out of £30 mill for that, even if they are available.

I'm 24, my earliest memory of football is France 98 and I know who he is! He was one of the best Centre Backs to play the game jesus christ. If you know football, you know who Ronald Koeman is :mcinnes:

There's the stumbling block right there.

Because of the hundreds of problems in the club at the moment you pick out our owner being a woman as the issue :lol:

Not at all and I stress that it's not my view, just taking part of Lovrens quote where he says he doesn't know who the 'main man' at the club is.

Didn't a female become manager of a European side recently and quit before actually starting?

Id say as far as a CEO of a football club was concerned overseeing two promotions and effectively massively improving the overall value of the club wasnt bad going.

Ultimately it was the fact that his was the only opinion that mattered whether it was his money or not was his downfall

Precisely. When he was given free reign and had the remit to get us back to the premier league, allowed to run at a loss etc he did brilliantly. This cannot be denied. But when we got there and perhaps the owners wanted to know where the increased revenue was going, why a £15m training ground had cost double that and why despite a feel good factor like never before around the club to go hand in had with our rise he was making less commercial money than midtable championship sides. That much was alluded to in the opening statements from the board where hey said a priority was to make more of this revenue stream.

Another reason why Lovren has to be made an example of.

Tadic is now rumoured to be snubbing Saints for Everton. Lovrens comments on lack of ambition are undermining the ability of Koeman to tempt players to Saints. Could be linked.

We need a VERY strong statement from the club to counter this line tomorrow. The club must (again to be fair) make a strong statement that our ambition remains the same and that all money will go on player sales. We need to make a statement that we are unlikely to sell him to Liverpool. We need to signal potential signings that Lovren is wrong and self oriented. We probably need to expose Liverpool and Lovrens agent too.

Time to show steel Reed. Show steel when prodded and fight back.

I've been supporting Saints for well over 40 years and have enjoyed the highs and lows and had my heros in every Saints team throughout the years.....however i have found myself NOT getting worked up at all about what has gone on during the last year. I took the reasonable view that all good things must come to an end eventually and was therefore not surprised or so mortally wounded by events that have unfolded over the last 12 months. NC could never carry on the way he was going and most sensible people saw that. MP bought into NC dream and undoubtedly saw this as a brilliant chance to make it on the worlds biggest stage. Did either of them have any loyalty to Saints....NO of course they did not, it was a job and thats all. The more and more i think about MP the more i honestly think he was a very calculating snake in the grass....I honestly hand on heart do not believe there was anything the board could have done to keep him.....he had made his mind up months before and again i honestly NOW believe he very deliberately made sure we lost to Sunderland in the FA Cup....he knew he was off and i believe he knew that no Europe would mean alot of the players who were already of interest to bigger clubs would have nothing to keep them here at Saints. Yes it's all probably a bit conspiracy theoryist but i wouldn't be surprised if this was exactly what was played out. As far as the players go they are just employees and not one of them has loyalty to the shirt....all this badge kissing stuff is utter crap. I will still support the club.....but long gone are the days when any of the players were my idols.........on a side note, i know from reading the posts that alot of you are totally passionate about the club we all love and support BUT remember THE PLAYERS ARE EXTREMELY WELL REWARDED FOR THEIR SERVICES AND DO NOT JUSTIFY ANY OF US IDOLISING ANY OF THESE OVER PAID PAMPERED PRIMA DONAS!

very good post sir!

Another reason why Lovren has to be made an example of.

Tadic is now rumoured to be snubbing Saints for Everton. Lovrens comments on lack of ambition are undermining the ability of Koeman to tempt players to Saints. Could be linked.

We need a VERY strong statement from the club to counter this line tomorrow. The club must (again to be fair) make a strong statement that our ambition remains the same and that all money will go on player sales. We need to make a statement that we are unlikely to sell him to Liverpool. We need to signal potential signings that Lovren is wrong and self oriented. We probably need to expose Liverpool and Lovrens agent too.

Time to show steel Reed. Show steel when prodded and fight back.

I'm not calling you a liar, but......ok I am.

I'm 21 and I've heard of Koeman. In much the same way that I've heard of Beckenbauer, Baresi, Moore, Passarella, Brehme, Tresor etc. who I wasn't alive to see play. It's like saying who has ever heard of Laurent Blanc ffs, clear WUM-ing

I'm 21 and I've heard of Koeman. In much the same way that I've heard of Beckenbauer, Baresi, Moore, Passarella, Brehme, Tresor etc. who I wasn't alive to see play. It's like saying who has ever heard of Laurent Blanc ffs, clear WUM-ing

Good post.

Can we please get back on topic and stop slating each other please.

I blame the club for lack of discipline,all of the players that have left were under long term contracts and it seems that they have been allowed to move on with little or no fight/desire to keep them and this sends out the wrong message to the rest of the squad. The board look like easy pushovers who will crumble under the slightest threat from the players or their agents and they have sown the seeds for future imminent transfers away from the club,if they had stamped down hard on lallana then it would have sent a strong message to other clubs and to other players that the board are controlling things and not the spoilt brat players......if they refuse to play then let them sit out,fine them for not playing and discipline them,otherwise there isn't any point to contracts.

The club has handled it all very badly and it looks bad to us lot let alone outsiders,the whole thing stinks of amateurism im afraid.

I blame the club for lack of discipline,all of the players that have left were under long term contracts and it seems that they have been allowed to move on with little or no fight/desire to keep them and this sends out the wrong message to the rest of the squad. The board look like easy pushovers who will crumble under the slightest threat from the players or their agents and they have sown the seeds for future imminent transfers away from the club,if they had stamped down hard on lallana then it would have sent a strong message to other clubs and to other players that the board are controlling things and not the spoilt brat players......if they refuse to play then let them sit out,fine them for not playing and discipline them,otherwise there isn't any point to contracts.

The club has handled it all very badly and it looks bad to us lot let alone outsiders,the whole thing stinks of amateurism im afraid.

True, but you can't deny the ROI that has been achieved. Admittedly the values rose under NC and not the current board.

Now_thats_what_I_call_a_cool_story_bro.gif

Maybe we can make a whole thread of people saying their age then that they've heard of Ronald Koeman?

I'm bored of this **** and his moaning. Sell him to pool for more than he is worth, buy someone who wants to be here. He fell over quite a lot towards the end of last season.

#asklovren - hey lovren you ****, why are you such a ****?

Edited by Plastic

In principle i totally agree with you.....however this is the real world of the Premiership and apart from the mega rich rich clubs like Man City, Chelsea etc there is no way we could afford to make players miss out on premiership games....the players know they have the club over a barrell on this one.....no way we could suspend 2 let alone 4/5 of our players without us being relegation fodder. And you are right, contracts are not worth the paper they are written on!

What also annoys me, is we all see ''NC has gone, we're so sad!!! he did everything for me, he provided the finances for me to sign and change my life..''

Actually, no. The person who is now running the club provided you with your wages, your signing on fee and your club with the fee. The people who are running the club are the ones who provided you with the opportunity to now move to a huge club for a huge pay rise. We saved you from obscurity at Lyon, so STFU.

Rant over.

The difference being NC had credibility. Even ML, at the time a billionaire, knew NC needed to captain the ship for the sake of his investment. ML was a business man and knew this. His heir on the other hand is not a business person, evident by the collapse of the MALI Group and its financial downfall. Now we have a non business person in charge who unlike ML, (who to reiterate, was a business person, had invested his own money, knew NC could do the job better than him) thinks they all of a sudden they can run a business. I'm sure Conrad Hilton would be spinning in his grave if his great great grand-daughter (Paris) took the reigns of his Hotel group.

We are where we are, the players with talent came here as we had a mission (project) now thats gone FUBAR they want out, we will be attractive to players in the championship and minor euro leagues as a stepping stone to follow the likes of Lallana et al. We still have an academy and its the likes of Wallcot, Bale and Shaw that keep that stocked with talent as they view us as a fast route to the big time.

Very true although to be politically correct I would say an relatively uncommitted owner who finds herself here not by choice and therefore cannot really be blamed for a lack of commitment

I've been supporting Saints for well over 40 years and have enjoyed the highs and lows and had my heros in every Saints team throughout the years.....however i have found myself NOT getting worked up at all about what has gone on during the last year. I took the reasonable view that all good things must come to an end eventually and was therefore not surprised or so mortally wounded by events that have unfolded over the last 12 months. NC could never carry on the way he was going and most sensible people saw that. MP bought into NC dream and undoubtedly saw this as a brilliant chance to make it on the worlds biggest stage. Did either of them have any loyalty to Saints....NO of course they did not, it was a job and thats all. The more and more i think about MP the more i honestly think he was a very calculating snake in the grass....I honestly hand on heart do not believe there was anything the board could have done to keep him.....he had made his mind up months before and again i honestly NOW believe he very deliberately made sure we lost to Sunderland in the FA Cup....he knew he was off and i believe he knew that no Europe would mean alot of the players who were already of interest to bigger clubs would have nothing to keep them here at Saints. Yes it's all probably a bit conspiracy theoryist but i wouldn't be surprised if this was exactly what was played out. As far as the players go they are just employees and not one of them has loyalty to the shirt....all this badge kissing stuff is utter crap. I will still support the club.....but long gone are the days when any of the players were my idols.........on a side note, i know from reading the posts that alot of you are totally passionate about the club we all love and support BUT remember THE PLAYERS ARE EXTREMELY WELL REWARDED FOR THEIR SERVICES AND DO NOT JUSTIFY ANY OF US IDOLISING ANY OF THESE OVER PAID PAMPERED PRIMA DONAS!

I LIKE THIS A LOT.

The difference being NC had credibility. Even ML, at the time a billionaire, knew NC needed to captain the ship for the sake of his investment. ML was a business man and knew this. His heir on the other hand is not a business person, evident by the collapse of the MALI Group and its financial downfall. .

your whole point is based on a wrong assumption. MALI was a hobby, a plaything, like Saints. It was closed down because it lost money and had always lost money.