Lovren joins Liverpool - Official

toe_punt

ESPN quotes some rather disgusting words from Dejan.... Not sure where this interview came from?

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/story/1935201/southampton-defender-dejan-lovren-wants-liverpool-move

Those comments make your blood boil. We can only guess at what's gone on but I believe Pochettino has a lot to answer for. I find it hard to believe that the club didn't keep Pochettinno informed throughout what was inevitably a period of uncertainty with all the boardroom changes. The players remained motivated after Cortese left. Once the players knew Pochettino was going (was it April like he says?), we get this whining about the plan and they all want to move to Liverpool. Oh, and if the aim was Euro league at least, why did Pochettino say he wasn't interested in qualifying for it?

Edited by Graffito

So do players just sign up for a project now, and not the club?

Complete lack of commitment really. He will go for around £20m, that's for sure. Cant' see him going to Spurs, he's a left sided CB - they have Jan Vertonghan who can play there. And they're signing Ben Davies who will be their first choice left back.

One thing I do agree with though and something that has been missed - there's no obvious leader at the club any more. You've got Ralf, Les, Gareth all basically doing similar jobs in slightly different environments. We really needed to secure an experienced football man to sit on the board who would be the main man. Not entirely sure why they didn't.

Agree, missed a trick in not appointing John Williams.

With all this going on where is Ralf ?

Perhaps he only does motivational, rather than demotivating speeches/press conferences.

"Look, I'd gladly stay in Southampton if the club had any ambitions, if they kept the key players," he said. "[if that had happened] not even the Liverpool bid would have dissuaded me."

Not one to say I told you so but are all of our players just liars?

The club wants to keep him. He's a key player. He wants to go to Liverpool, for chills down the spine or something, just like the others.

Agree, missed a trick in not appointing John Williams.

With all this going on where is Ralf ?

Perhaps he only does motivational, rather than demotivating speeches/press conferences.

Originally he was the main man for the club spiel - but he made such an utterly atrocious job of it, he's now been pulled back and works in a more internal role.

He's basically got a nothing job. He doesn't understand football, England, transfers, how they're negotiated. yet he's on the board of directors at an English football club, an utterly free job. As you can probably tell, I cannot stand the bloke.

The club wants to keep him. He's a key player. He wants to go to Liverpool, for chills down the spine or something, just like the others.

He wants to leave because he knows their ambition's gone down the pan. How many players have got to say it before people start listening to them?

He wants to leave because he knows their ambition's gone down the pan. How many players have got to say it before people start listening to them?

But if they hadn't all left and had stuck together, Ronald Koeman could have come in and potentially stopped us throwing away leads and we could have had an even better year.

The club didn't want to sell them, didn't need to, they just want to go.

But if they hadn't all left and had stuck together, Ronald Koeman could have come in and potentially stopped us throwing away leads and we could have had an even better year.

Imo the new board told the players/manager one of two of them would be sold to fund new signings.

So do players just sign up for a project now, and not the club?

Complete lack of commitment really. He will go for around £20m, that's for sure. Cant' see him going to Spurs, he's a left sided CB - they have Jan Vertonghan who can play there. And they're signing Ben Davies who will be their first choice left back.

One thing I do agree with though and something that has been missed - there's no obvious leader at the club any more. You've got Ralf, Les, Gareth all basically doing similar jobs in slightly different environments. We really needed to secure an experienced football man to sit on the board who would be the main man. Not entirely sure why they didn't.

But Jan Vertonghen has been quoted as wanting to leave for Champions League football! Getting rather fed-up with this 'project' word. The club have stated they still have ambitions for European football some time in the future, but none of this can happen overnight, even before the restrictions of Financial Fair Play, which many of our players and supporters have conveniently ignored. I don't think it's coincidence that Cortese left after voting against Financial Fair Play; his ambitions would have been stymied anyway. Not that it is really fair, it just preserves the status quo.

Agree we need a clearly defined football person on the board. Whilst we wait for that to happen, the board should collectively inform Ronald of their stance, and players should be able to have confidence that they are speaking to him as the mouthpiece of the club.

If he was told the minimum aim was the Europa league at least, you know that cup competition that was beneath us according to many on here, why did pochettino speak so openly against it?

What also annoys me, is we all see ''NC has gone, we're so sad!!! he did everything for me, he provided the finances for me to sign and change my life..''

Actually, no. The person who is now running the club provided you with your wages, your signing on fee and your club with the fee. The people who are running the club are the ones who provided you with the opportunity to now move to a huge club for a huge pay rise. We saved you from obscurity at Lyon, so STFU.

Rant over.

If we have to sell him there is no way we can sell him to Liverpool now. If his head is in Liverpool it will be interesting to see what happens if we refuse to sell.

He will end up at Liverpool, it's the same tactics as Adam.

He's just forcing through the move, nothing more.

They all seem to be forgetting that Liverpool finished 7th 2 seasons ago, 8th the season before that (on 52 points). And Man Utd are back next year, so they'll be pushed back down to their inevitable flapping around for a 4th placed finish and won't make it.

Edited by S-Clarke

Interesting he knew in April MP was gone, yet it took us until mid June to have a new Manager in place.

Lovren's comments obviously disgraceful, but does raise some interesting question, and communication to players from the club has been mentioned by a fair few players now.

If you were Cork, Clyne or Rodriguez you wouldn't be in any hurry to sign a new contract just now.

Interesting he knew in April MP was gone, yet it took us until mid June to have a new Manager in place.

Lovren's comments obviously disgraceful, but does raise some interesting question, and communication to players from the club has been mentioned by a fair few players now.

If you were Cork, Clyne or Rodriguez you wouldn't be in any hurry to sign a new contract just now.

It was clear to most that MP was gone in January.

''I won't be leaving in the middle of a process'' was what he kept saying. (i.e no one wanted him at that moment)

He will end up at Liverpool, it's the same tactics as Adam.

He's just forcing through the move, nothing more.

If so then I absolutely give up with this board and expect us to be battling relegation. Every player will now know they can do the exact same thing and get their move to Liverpool or wherever. I mean what is the f*cking point in giving my support to these spineless idiots? Let him go on strike and see how long he lasts. Yes it may be expensive but it will send a message that we don't just roll over and die every time a player wants away. FIVE key players in one window is absolutely beyond a joke. It's utterly pathetic to lose that many in one window and utterly destroys everything that has been built over the past five years.

So he's demanding a transfer to Liverpool because Saints sold key players and that demonstrates lack of ambition. Suarez? "erm yes, but um, thats different". So isn't it right they are refusing to sell you because you're a key player as well? "erm yes, but um, thats different"

Edited by buctootim

This.

It's all selfsih b******t justification from the leavers. "Oh there's no ambition because all the other lot left". Well Lambert was a special case, Lallana was a p**** who forced his way out over nothing (as he think's he's billy big balls now), Shaw we wanted the money to invest and now Lovren's spouting all this spiel because he wants out as he's as much of a billy big balls as Lallana. The club doesn't want to sell anyone else at all. They didn't want to sell Lallana. It's got nothing to do with ambition, it's just a line to tell the press to try and make yourself look like slightly less of a little s***.

I only hope Morgan holds true to his word where he said he'd never force a move from the club. But we'll see. I love Morgan, I don't want it to end like it did with Lallana.

I will admit though, we need some high caliber new signings asap more than ever right now.

Yeah ok bro, all our players are liars and the board are doing a great job and we'll be signing some top notch replacements soon because we didn't need or want to sell

Do you honestly think that Koeman, with his track record and reputation, has come to a club whose "ambition has gone down the pan"?

Absolute f**cking disgrace!

I hope we ship him out to anywhere but liverpool now.

Wanting out if one thing but mouthing off like this is beyond disrespectful to the club who pays his sizeable wages, the fans who supported him last season and everyone associated with sfc.

The one thing that keeps happening is Liverpool's failed bids keep landing in the press absurdly quickly "I found out about the bid from other people" and it was much the same with Lallana. Can't see the leaks coming from anywhere else but them. They have shown no class at all. Honestly hope they royally balls up next season and miss out on the europa league!

MP has obviously proved to be a two-faced git, stirring the players up on one side, and telling the board something else. We're really having to pay for shafting Nigel! Speaking to other supporters of Sunderland, West Ham, Stoke, they just said that their players would be exactly the same if one of the top 4 came in for them, they just haven't got any players good enough! If you look at many of the teams out of the so -called 'elite' who have had a good season, they've usually done it with players on loan from top clubs, like Lukaku, or players who are past their peak, like Gareth Barry - that's why we are in such an unusual situation.

I'd sell Lovren to any other club than Liverpool, even Spurs, after the way they've behaved. I'm sure they've encouraged this agitation in the press.

The club have stated they still have ambitions for European football some time in the future, but none of this can happen overnight, even before the restrictions of Financial Fair Play, which many of our players and supporters have conveniently ignored. I don't think it's coincidence that Cortese left after voting against Financial Fair Play; his ambitions would have been stymied anyway.

Totally agree. I've mentioned several times on here that I believe the FFP constraints have been a key factor in all this.

I don't rule out the scenario whereby Katharina WAS willing to back Cortese's grandiose ambitions but those ambitions were scuppered by the Financial Fair Play rules. In other words, Cortese was solely focused on the playing side of things and took his eye of the commercial income side of the business and when he realised that the club wasn't going to be able to achieve the stated aims of "the project", due to the FFP spending cap, he set about engineering his departure.

It wouldn't surprise me if both Cortese and Liebherr were actually on the same page....but they simply weren't able to carry things through because of FFP.

I'm convinced as I've ever been that FFP was the first domino that fell and the rest toppled from there. My hunch is that the club HASN'T reduced its ambitions, rather that they are financially constrained to be able to carry them out....

If only Cortese hadn't taken his eye off the commercial income ball....

(Edit: maybe the 'fall out' between Cortese and Liebherr was that Cortese wanted to go ahead with the 'over spending' anyway and take the consequences of breaking the FFP rules on the chin - maybe the 'prize' outweighed the 'punishment' - but that Katharina wasn't prepared to break the rules, hence Cortese was left with no choice but to leave....?)

Edited by trousers

MP has obviously proved to be a two-faced git, stirring the players up on one side, and telling the board something else. We're really having to pay for shafting Nigel! Speaking to other supporters of Sunderland, West Ham, Stoke, they just said that their players would be exactly the same if one of the top 4 came in for them, they just haven't got any players good enough! If you look at many of the teams out of the so -called 'elite' who have had a good season, they've usually done it with players on loan from top clubs, like Lukaku, or players who are past their peak, like Gareth Barry - that's why we are in such an unusual situation.

I'd sell Lovren to any other club than Liverpool, even Spurs, after the way they've behaved. I'm sure they've encouraged this agitation in the press.

Agree, though neither would I be like him to join Pochettino at Spurs. You are right about FFP in your earlier post. A point that does indeed kept getting overlooked.

Totally agree. I've mentioned several times on here that I believe the FFP constraints have been a key factor in all this.

I don't rule out the scenario whereby Katharina WAS willing to back Cortese's grandiose ambitions but those ambitions were scuppered by the Financial Fair Play rules. In other words, Cortese was solely focused on the playing side of things and took his eye of the commercial income side of the business and when he realised that the club wasn't going to be able to achieve the stated aims of "the project" due to the FFP spending cap he set about engineering his departure.

It wouldn't surprise me if both Cortese and Liebherr were actually on the same page....but they simply weren't able to carry things through because of FFP.

I'm convinced as I've ever been that FFP was the first domino that fell and the rest toppled from there. My hunch is that the club HASN'T reduced its ambitions, rather that they are financially constrained to carry it out....

If only Cortese hadn't taken his eye off the commercial income ball....

It's probably a very valid point you make re: FPP, but it kind of makes an utter joke of the whole thing. To meet the criteria of ''financial fair play'', which was brought in to make the league fairer, we have to sell all our big players to big clubs before we can add any other players.

Yes, genius.

Do you honestly think that Koeman, with his track record and reputation, has come to a club whose "ambition has gone down the pan"?

Yes, it's still a move to the Prem. You're vastly overrating his reputation as a manager, whilst he's a reasonable appointment next to no one in England will have a clue who he even is without Wiki'ing him.

"Look, I'd gladly stay in Southampton if the club had any ambitions, if they kept the key players," he said. "[if that had happened] not even the Liverpool bid would have dissuaded me."

Not one to say I told you so but are all of our players just liars?

Clearly just an excuse. He's seen the money the others are on, wants a bit of it himself but can use that line in an otherwise disgraceful interview to say 'well I would have stayed of they'd matched my ambitions'

When are people going to realise that Lovren, Lallana and Lambert have all been tapped up and taking instructions directly or indirectly from Liverpool and Brendan Rodgers?

Lovren can't stay now after those comments. At some stage the club has to impose some discipline. Lovren has lost Saints fans now and probably the remainder of the team. To be honest his words are as bad if not worse than Lallanas.

His criticism of the clubs lack of ambition (which may have an element of truth) is nonetheless disloyal, lacks professionalism (unless he is taking instructions from Liverpool) and frankly is another example of selfishness.

So what? Lovren must firstly be disciplined by the club.

Secondly, we must not bow down again to Liverpools methods. They have removed our talent and set us back several years already. We must stop doing business with them.

I don't care if they are paying over the odds - sooner or later a club has to make a stand. Lovren deserves a shorter entry on the OS than Lallana. We owe Lovren NOTHING. No loyalty, so sell him. But not to Spurs or Liverpool.... If I was Saints I would be looking to send him anywhere but the PL.

Contrast Lovrens lines with Scheiderlain, who has challenged the club to show ambition and he will stay... That's captaincy stuff.

It's probably a very valid point you make re: FPP, but it kind of makes an utter joke of the whole thing. To meet the criteria of ''financial fair play'', which was brought in to make the league fairer, we have to sell all our big players to big clubs before we can add any other players.

Yes, genius.

It effectively preserves the status quo and prevents any new boys like Manchester City buying their ticket to the top table - even if they can sustain that position 'fairly' once they get there.

Whilst I do not condone his comments whatsoever, and whilst I cannot think of a way to even stop this behaviour, only a few months ago our Board said no player would be sold etc. and a few months on three have gone, one of which clearly bullied his way to his move. So therefore Lovren (and his people) probably think Saints are a soft touch. And we are.

Nice easy excuse saying that eh. 'Look we're selling all our players, the clubs got no ambition. I want out' Yes you f**kwit you're all threatening to go on strike if we don't sell you, what do you expect the club to do????

None of us know what the ambitions of the club are, saying that though, we are short of a figurehead with the ability to sell the club to both internal and external players and get across to the fans the direction of the club, Reed may be good at spotting a player but he seems to me to have the charisma of a wet lettuce and would have trouble selling the club to anyone. Cortese obviously excelled in this.

The players wanted to leave, what can we do about that, they have been offered double/treble the wages, how do we know the club wouldn't have added a couple of £15 million players to improve the current squad so we could move on. Do we really think we would have bought no players this summer if none of the players left?

pochetino obviously got into the players' heads and they saw him as their leader, he left and the others have all abandoned ship, Shaw and Lallana didn't even have the decency to speak with the new manager so how would they know what the ambition was. I reckon pochetino was part of the problem, he obviously wanted out and that trannsmitted across to the players, then when he left he told the players it was this for his own benefit, the players now either have taken what this man has said as gospel or they see his excuses and start reeling out the same old lines.

Yes, it's still a move to the Prem. You're vastly overrating his reputation as a manager, whilst he's a reasonable appointment next to no one in England will have a clue who he even is without Wiki'ing him.

Utter nonsense.

If they are 12, maybe.

Agree with the excuse angle, imagine if we sold those dudes so we could replace them with better players, how does dejan know we won't if he hasn't spoken to Koeman.

Literally his agent is pulling the strings in all this and talking with liverpool.

This is classic get out of club ploy by a player.

Clearly just an excuse. He's seen the money the others are on, wants a bit of it himself but can use that line in an otherwise disgraceful interview to say 'well I would have stayed of they'd matched my ambitions'

Like the excuses the club have been reeling out for selling players when they said they didn't need to and would let the new manager decide? I'm prone to believe the players who've delivered for the club rather then a new board who are having a shocker and a track record of lying.

Originally he was the main man for the club spiel - but he made such an utterly atrocious job of it, he's now been pulled back and works in a more internal role.

He's basically got a nothing job. He doesn't understand football, England, transfers, how they're negotiated. yet he's on the board of directors at an English football club, an utterly free job. As you can probably tell, I cannot stand the bloke.

Isn't his main Job to increase our commercial revenue? mainly in U.S.A and Canada? As ours was lower than Fulhams and many others which is pretty poor for a team that finished in the top 8.

Those comments make your blood boil. We can only guess at what's gone on but I believe Pochettino has a lot to answer for. I find it hard to believe that the club didn't keep Pochettinno informed throughout what was inevitably a period of uncertainty with all the boardroom changes. The players remained motivated after Cortese left. Once the players knew Pochettino was going (was it April like he says?), we get this whining about the plan and they all want to move to Liverpool. Oh, and if the aim was Euro league at least, why did Pochettino say he wasn't interested in qualifying for it?

Not entirely sure how you've managed to blame MoPo and not the board but there you go. Even after Cortese left the players were talking about the new board getting behind their ambitions and MoPo spoke of staying. If the 35m transfer kitty (plus sales) was there originally then that ambition could have been kept.

I think ultimately KL never realised that NC would actually quit, and as that happened left here in the lurch. Scraping around for someone that could lead, it was clear that there was a lot of uncertainty, now, its not necessarily the boards fault, perhaps it shouldve been managed better but whats done is done. The players realised the club no longer held their ambition and they looked elsewhere. As did MoPo, who I think WOULD have stayed if things reletively remained the same however ****ed me off by employing some very underhand tactics upon leaving, perhaps, again the board should have been stronger a la Swansea 'sign or go'

Unfortunately the damage is done, clearly Lovren hasnt bought conpletely into Saints, but he was up for the challenge, I dont blame him for wanting out, its the way the players are forcing their way out thats more worrying, there seems to be a need to leave the sinking ship. Jury is still very much out for the current captains of the old ship southampton and the waters are getting very choppy

Ronald Koeman was a world famous player in his day, you must young, everybody I know had heard of him! He would have had plenty of options regarding employment, hence he had the confidence to finish his contract in Holland.

Ronald Koeman was a world famous player in his day, you must young, everybody I know had heard of him! He would have had plenty of options regarding employment, hence he had the confidence to finish his contract in Holland.

He's just trying to WUM.

He wants to leave because he has seen his team mates move on to a higher level club and wants to join them playing at a big stadium and in the Champions League. The Board excuse is an easy one to make to make himself look better. If Koeman had joined on the basis that we have 'no ambition' I'd be very surprised.