Lovren joins Liverpool - Official

toe_punt

Nonsense chap.

Pooch did not leave because the new project is a pale shadow of anything.

There was no 'new project' when pooch left. Just a very tidy financial offer from a 'bigger' club.

The players that have left, or may leave, are doing so to further their own careers (and why not).

The five year plan ended - successfully!

Unless you are seriously suggesting the new plan should consist of something akin to 'an assault by Southampton on the top four places and a EPL title and a CL semifinal place in five years' OF COURSE it cannot compare to 'rising three divisions and securing top half safety and (key point) financial independence under new FIFA guidelines'.

The fact we have achieved that is amazing.

Time for you, and others, to take a bit of a reality check sir!

Bless you if you think that's how footballers think; like some band of merry brothers committed to each other and to the 'ideals' of other men!

It's very sweet you think that way and I kinda wish it were true; what a better world this would be!

This is drifting off topic

I maintain that under Markus, HIS "dream" Project(s) was to get us able to Qualify for the CL. His 5 year plan was Phase one of that so to speak

As it happened we came pretty darn close within those 5 years

Regrettably, Markus was not around to see the end of his 5 year Project

Katharina was, and whilst she honoured her fathers Project, her aspirations are NOT the same as what Markus's was

So, as owner, she reined things in to HER liking, which fell short of pushing SFC onwards and upwards.

THAT caused the rift with Cortese, made Poch's mind up about moving on, and caused the Players to rethink their futures too

Time for YOU to take a reality check as well, unless of course you are happy with things are panning out ??

Reality is hoping we can finish above the relegation places, and you won't get very good odds from the Bookies on that, and they are pretty much on the ball.

Reality is hoping we can finish above the relegation places, and you won't get very good odds from the Bookies on that, and they are pretty much on the ball.

That's a relief cos i've checked and they think 10 clubs are more likely to go down than us.

Katharina was, and whilst she honoured her fathers Project, her aspirations are NOT the same as what Markus's was

So, as owner, she reined things in to HER liking, which fell short of pushing SFC onwards and upwards.

THAT caused the rift with Cortese, made Poch's mind up about moving on, and caused the Players to rethink their futures too

Time for YOU to take a reality check as well, unless of course you are happy with things are panning out ??

I reiterate what I said earlier. You have absolutely no idea at all what KL's aspirations are and claiming to know it once again is making you look idiotic. By all means add "in my opinion" "probably" or some such get-out clause, but please do not state it as a fact, because it probably isn't.

Also I expect that you'll find that most of the less wet behind the ears posters will share the view that Cortese threw a strop because she wanted to have some say in how her money was spent and that Pochettino and those players left purely for reasons of ego and greed.

For all his numerous failings, this would never have happened under Cortese. He would have been an obstinate b@stard for the first transfer request and held out enough that no-one else thought to ask. The problem is we built up these egos and told them to be winners. And now we show weakness ourselves by caving into the transfer requests. Of course they are pushing to leave. We've shown them that we have limited ambition and zero guts. It's a perfect storm of crapulence.

The only way now to stop the rot is to keep losing players until anyone with ambition has left or put Lovren in the reserves until he gets his head straight. For every week he refuses to play, fine him. Accept that the £8m might not come back and just use the £60m we do have to buy replacements. If a European club comes in for him then sell him but no sales to a fellow premiership club. It's time to play hardball.

When folks on here were questioning Lallana's credibility as a captain, I said one thing: that he was worth that captaincy simply in terms of what he taught young players about the path to the first team. His presence said that youth could thrive, get to the first team and stay there. Now we have to make a sacrifice to say that we will not be pushed around. And Lovren MUST be that sacrifice. He has to be forced to spend the next 4 years in the reserves if need be to show players that the boardroom has the control, not the players. It's a battle too important to lose.

Just nonsense. The idea that Shaw and Lallana would turn their backs on MUFC and Liverpool and six figure weekly salaries just for the joy of spending more time in the company of a short arsed Italian chairman is beyond credibility.

There might have been a bit more Lowe style "North West Yobbos" verbals through the media but the net result - Shaw sold, and Lallana sold - would be the same.

The only one that I think would be different would be Lambert as I would think Cortese would try and bring other clubs into play like WHU that RL wouldn't want to sign for. Meaning Lambo might still be here seeing out his contract but massively effed off. Or, of course, he'd already be at West Ham from January.

Just nonsense. The idea that Shaw and Lallana would turn their backs on MUFC and Liverpool and six figure weekly salaries just for the joy of spending more time in the company of a short arsed Italian chairman is beyond credibility.

There might have been a bit more Lowe style "North West Yobbos" verbals through the media but the net result - Shaw sold, and Lallana sold - would be the same.

The only one that I think would be different would be Lambert as I would think Cortese would try and bring other clubs into play like WHU that RL wouldn't want to sign for. Meaning Lambo might still be here seeing out his contract but massively effed off. Or, of course, he'd already be at West Ham from January.

Cortese has achieved exactly what he wanted to achieve here - god like status amongst the fan base, and it looks as if it was him who held everything together.

But the pure, 100% actuate truth is that this is the first time we've had the elite clubs chase our players, strongly. I'm not on about little enquires here, or bids from Newcastle and the like - I'm on about Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Barca, Zenit - massive European clubs, all part of that ''upper'' elite area of football making substantial and well structured deals for player and club.

Cortese isn't stupid and he saw what was coming. He got out whilst his reputation remained in tact, and in the end it looks as if it's all fallen on KL's watch - but if he was here, it would have happened under him too.

Just another quick additional point - the last time an elite club strongly wanted one of our players, what happend? NC sold him to Arsenal.

Cortese has achieved exactly what he wanted to achieve here - god like status amongst the fan base, and it looks as if it was him who held everything together.

But the pure, 100% actuate truth is that this is the first time we've had the elite clubs chase our players, strongly. I'm not on about little enquires here, or bids from Newcastle and the like - I'm on about Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Barca, Zenit - massive European clubs, all part of that ''upper'' elite area of football making substantial and well structured deals for player and club.

Cortese isn't stupid and he saw what was coming. He got out whilst his reputation remained in tact, and in the end it looks as if it's all fallen on KL's watch - but if he was here, it would have happened under him too.

Just another quick additional point - the last time an elite club strongly wanted one of our players, what happend? NC sold him to Arsenal.

Spot on.

100% right. He was clever to get himself out when he did. I doubt he truly believed he would get the backing to truly crack the top four, so he scarpered before the going got really tough.

And yes, let's never forget his 100% record on big club player bids. Sold to the professorial Frenchman at the back.

The top four and Champions League seemed a pipe dream when NC took over and we were Lg 1 and -10 points but by Christmas four years later we were in the top four, it was within reach. He wanted to strengthen at that point but KL drew the line. At the wrong moment in my opinion

The top four and Champions League seemed a pipe dream when NC took over and we were Lg 1 and -10 points but by Christmas four years later we were in the top four, it was within reach. He wanted to strengthen at that point but KL drew the line. At the wrong moment in my opinion

It was always a pipe dream, it was as far away when we were 8th as it was when we were 20th in L1.

We may have been 4th last season, but we were always going to fall away. We didn't need just 1 or 2 players here and there to sustain it either, we needed to probably spend around £50-100m in that window in order to secure it. Something she was unable to do, and I don't see that as a criticism. If the money isn't there, then you don't spend it.

Financially we were still light years apart. NC wanted to flash around money that wasn't his.

It was always a pipe dream, it was as far away when we were 8th as it was when we were 20th in L1.

We may have been 4th last season, but we were always going to fall away. We didn't need just 1 or 2 players here and there to sustain it either, we needed to probably spend around £50-100m in that window in order to secure it. Something she was unable to do, and I don't see that as a criticism. If the money isn't there, then you don't spend it.

Financially we were still light years apart. NC wanted to flash around money that wasn't his.

That's one opinion, much easier in hindsight... but I prefer Dellman's assessment. You are guessing it was a pipe dream and guessing we are financially constrained.

That's one opinion, much easier in hindsight... but I prefer Dellman's assessment. You are guessing it was a pipe dream and guessing we are financially constrained.

How can he be guessing we are financially restrained when its a published fact that the top four have double the gate money and three times the commercial income?

Not really hindsight to say we were never going to finish top four last season, we obviously weren't going to.

And we are financially constrained (in a top four sense). Otherwise we would be signing players for £20m odd and giving Shaw and Lallana six figure weekly wages, not selling them. Not really "guessing" is it?

Very good point. It's all about depth of squad. To compete for the top 4 you have to be able to afford at least 2 quality players for each position. We will never achieve this. We cannot afford the transfer fees or wages for these types of players.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

hahaha :D

yes would cost £2m a year to stick him in reserves and leave him there, no international football, no league football and the club would be in charge, he's under contract, if he strikes fine him , individual offense each 1st team game he makes himself unavailable.

£2m would be cheap to show players the club is in charge of transfers not them and not their agents

yes would cost £2m a year to stick him in reserves and leave him there, no international football, no league football and the club would be in charge, he's under contract, if he strikes fine him , individual offense each 1st team game he makes himself unavailable.

£2m would be cheap to show players the club is in charge of transfers not them and not their agents

Its what I would do without a doubt. These prima donnas at every club not just ours need stamping down on !

I was just laughing I didn't say do it, nor did I think there was an actually chance the club would do it :p

But it would be nice to put some of these spoilt brats in their places.

Edited by Saint J 77

5 pages of utter ******** based on what? Dejan deserves alittle more respect than many on here are showing him. So many with alot of mouth that don't know a thing.
You think it'll be likely he's staying? How any footballers put up with using public Instagram or twitter accounts, I'll never know.

5 pages of utter ******** based on what? Dejan deserves alittle more respect than many on here are showing him. So many with alot of mouth that don't know a thing.

So what is the truth then? IT makes no sense for the Echo to stitch him up and turn the fans against him by running a story like this if they are not confident there is truth to it.

In a time like this fans are going to be tetchy and quick to anger any time they read stories about transfer requests and players threatening this and that to get out, especially when there is nobody denying it.

Edited by Bewildered

So what is the truth then? IT makes no sense for the Echo to stitch him up and turn the fans against him by running a story like this if they are not confident there is truth to it.

In a time like this fans are going to be tetchy and quick to anger any time they read stories about transfer requests and players threatening this and that to get out, especially when there is nobody denying it.

Greedy? Of course we are if we have to sell. We are not a charity ffs

As has been said a million times, the Echo likes to work to the detriment of the club. They have done for years hence I don't agree with anything the print unless corroborated elsewhere.

As has been said a million times, the Echo likes to work to the detriment of the club. They have done for years hence I don't agree with anything the print unless corroborated elsewhere.
I am told the story in the echo emanated from Lovren's agents. You can hardly blame the Echo for running the story.

I think Lovren is brilliant and he has made Fonte a better player but really if we are never going to be able to push on from 8th then £20m for him really is very very tempting.

Have to say he's not worth £20m. I bet that would be with add ons etc. regardless, you're right, it is a lot of money for a player that could be replaced for less.

I just can't face dealing with Liverpool again. I refuse to believe they haven't manipulated Rickie Lambert (for an early cheap move), Lallana and now Lovren. They have to be encouraging their actions... otherwise why pay such money for a player likely to go on strike for his move to Real Madrid?!? Unprofessionalism shouldn't attract such high fees unless it's part of an overall strategy.

So I still support Saints standing firm. Don't sell to Liverpool.

Liverpool are enacting a strategy that has served other PL teams in the past...buy up near contender clubs best players to break up the squad, even if they're not really needed. It kills two birds with one stone - destroys the other team and bolsters the depth of their own squad. They knew Saints were on the brink of something big - let's face it, we stood tall against them last season - so unfortunately Saints became the natural target.

Unfortunately, our owners don't have the dangly bits to stand up to the bullies and use financial muscle to keep players under long contracts with the club. Not only that, but we've got decent youngsters knocking on the 1st team door waiting for their chance - the strategy is of course to sell our first team, not our Academy products. We have had it confirmed to us this summer that we are nothing but a breeding ground - that's what's "#happening'.

Lovren is an incidental - a player brought in to bolster the PL squad as we didn't have that quality coming through to claim a CB slot. If the funds are there and a decent player available, then he's replaceable.

Respect has to be earned. Putting in transfer request some 11 months after signing a four-year contract doesn't seem worthy of respect. The drip-drip effect of allowing one, then two, then three players to break contracts starts to look like a serious mistake. Maybe the Lambert decision, apparently taken so readily before the manager was appointed set the scene. The stand the club are reported to be taking with Lovren (although believe it if it happens) should have been taken with Shaw and Lallana. No show at work, no pay and pointing out that a contract freely signed is a contract.

So, instead of a pointless one line blab why don't you put us straight?

Liverpool are enacting a strategy that has served other PL teams in the past...buy up near contender clubs best players to break up the squad, even if they're not really needed. It kills two birds with one stone - destroys the other team and bolsters the depth of their own squad. They knew Saints were on the brink of something big - let's face it, we stood tall against them last season - so unfortunately Saints became the natural target.

Unfortunately, our owners don't have the dangly bits to stand up to the bullies and use financial muscle to keep players under long contracts with the club. Not only that, but we've got decent youngsters knocking on the 1st team door waiting for their chance - the strategy is of course to sell our first team, not our Academy products. We have had it confirmed to us this summer that we are nothing but a breeding ground - that's what's "#happening'.

Lovren is an incidental - a player brought in to bolster the PL squad as we didn't have that quality coming through to claim a CB slot. If the funds are there and a decent player available, then he's replaceable.

See this is why we have so many upset fans who seem to be handling the current situation so badly. There really does seem to be a large minority who believe we were destined to break in to the PL Elite and that teams like Liverpool where now saints rivals after one season of finishing 8th....it seems NCs little promises where lapped up by more than just a few of the players.

I really don't think Brendan Rodgers sat down and thought lets buy up saints best players to f uck'em over he wanted good players to increase the size of his squad given next seasons CL games. Sadly for saints we had good players and Liverpool are a big club in Europe. While some fans hold on to NCs pipe dream that we were on the verge of something big they are just going to be unhappy it's a new era we just need to sell on those players (on our terms) not wanting to stay and build a new team for the new era...I'm actually getting a little excited about the re-building job now.

I understand Lovren wanting to move after 11months, he arrived with the club buoyant and on the up, then within months the man who sold the club to him and a lot of the best players as well.

i agree with CB fry that added to that if the chance of earning massive wages you would have your head turned.

Lovrens quality and importance to us is far more that 20m.

See this is why we have so many upset fans who seem to be handling the current situation so badly. There really does seem to be a large minority who believe we were destined to break in to the PL Elite and that teams like Liverpool where now saints rivals after one season of finishing 8th....it seems NCs little promises where lapped up by more than just a few of the players.

I really don't think Brendan Rodgers sat down and thought lets buy up saints best players to f uck'em over he wanted good players to increase the size of his squad given next seasons CL games. Sadly for saints we had good players and Liverpool are a big club in Europe. While some fans hold on to NCs pipe dream that we were on the verge of something big they are just going to be unhappy it's a new era we just need to sell on those players (on our terms) not wanting to stay and build a new team for the new era...I'm actually getting a little excited about the re-building job now.

Very good and sensible post as usual doddisalegend

I dont like the PL just too much money for the players and executives to get their noses in the trough

I see both sides here. Football careers are short and if Dejan wants out, to some extent, it sucks but that is ok.

But he has a contract with us (a well paid one!) and we brought him to the premiership and did wonders for his reputation so I think he owes us a little.

I would like to see us play hardball ... £24mil to a premiership side or £20mil to a foreign side. We turn to Lovren and say this is our line, if anybody wants you enough that is a fair price ... if not don't worry son, have a blinding season and next year it will be barca, juventus, city calling not spurs and liverpool.

Seems fair and relatively realistic right? (Ok a touch optimistic but it's how I see it)