Lovren joins Liverpool - Official

toe_punt

Not really (and I know that) It was about Aulas trying to use young players all of the time to make more money on transfers by having them in the public eye so to speak. I've seen what happened at Lyon and is still happening, that's one of the resons why I am particularly concerned by SFC just now.

Lyon made a profit of £4m on income of £120m last year - hardly profiteering. http://www.forbes.com/teams/olympique-lyonnais/

If clubs are using players as simple cash cows its because they cant expect loyalty or to have contracts honoured. It cuts both ways.

Not really (and I know that) It was about Aulas trying to use young players all of the time to make more money on transfers by having them in the public eye so to speak. I've seen what happened at Lyon and is still happening, that's one of the resons why I am particularly concerned by SFC just now.

Which would work if we actually wanted to sell our young players. We put them in the 1st team because that is our modeel. To produce players through the academy rather than have to buy from other clubs as much as possible. Do you really think that we wanted to sell Lallana and Shaw? If what you are thinking (another negative view by the way) was true then Koeman would not get a sniff of the cash and would be told to play all of the youngsters.

It will be interesting to see what the Chairman of the PFA has to say about players refusing to honour contracts, going on strike etc. Particularly interesting, as he always has so much to say if any club dares withhold any contracted payments from these over pampered w*****s.

On a more general note, the clubs in the PL outside the top six must be very worried about what their own players are likely to do in the future if any of them are wanted by a "big club". Perhaps they would all like to chip in a million each for us to pay Lovren and Osvaldo youth team for a year or two.

Lyon made a profit of £4m on income of £120m last year - hardly profiteering. http://www.forbes.com/teams/olympique-lyonnais/

If clubs are using players as simple cash cows its because they cant expect loyalty or to have contracts honoured. It cuts both ways.

that was the year before when they were still in the CL I think, last year they got turfed out by Sociedad in a preliminary round so Aulas simply sold Bastos and Lopez to make up the shortfall. Lyon have to sell players to survive every year that they don't hit the later stages of the CL. They also have a new stadium project to fund and their transfer policy is haphazard at best. In Lovren's case he was being played at RB to allow Umtiti to play as CB.

But would it cost him money, isn't the maximum any one can fine 2 weeks wages?

If he breaches his contract, I presume by not turning up to training he is doing just that, are we legally allowed to not pay him?

I would imagine so. I'm pretty sure that if I just arbitrarily decided I couldn't be bothered to show up for work, my boss wouldn't be paying me a penny.

Which would work if we actually wanted to sell our young players. We put them in the 1st team because that is our modeel. To produce players through the academy rather than have to buy from other clubs as much as possible. Do you really think that we wanted to sell Lallana and Shaw? If what you are thinking (another negative view by the way) was true then Koeman would not get a sniff of the cash and would be told to play all of the youngsters.

but playing all the youngsters would be suicidal because many of them aren't yet ready as we saw last season. I do however tend to think that we will see just some average signings this season for about half of our sale values or less and academy players being pushed into the side. We'll see where that gets us.

I would imagine so. I'm pretty sure that if I just arbitrarily decided I couldn't be bothered to show up for work, my boss wouldn't be paying me a penny.

Well no,if he doesn't turn up without valid reason we'll obviously not pay him anything at all. Trouble is that will leave us a good CB short and dimish his value as well. Then you get into the legalities of it all as to how much we could eventually make him pay us for breaching his contract, that would be a mess. There have been precedents like that Argentine from Belgium who just swanned off to Argentina claiming to be suffering from mysterious migraines or something. Ended up getting transferred to Italy for a low fee.

Well no,if he doesn't turn up without valid reason we'll obviously not pay him anything at all. Trouble is that will leave us a good CB short and dimish his value as well. Then you get into the legalities of it all as to how much we could eventually make him pay us for breaching his contract, that would be a mess. There have been precedents like that Argentine from Belgium who just swanned off to Argentina claiming to be suffering from mysterious migraines or something. Ended up getting transferred to Italy for a low fee.

This is the problem. It might cost him a few bob in the short term, though even then he could just get a sick note like Osvaldo, but the club will probably think all things considered it's better to sell him. I just hope he ****s off abroad.

My understanding is its a maximum of two weeks for an offence which, if the offence is repeated you can be fined for again.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Now we've blown off a bit of steam, might it not be best to actually wait and see if he does or doesn't turn up? I know he might not, but then again he might.

The timeline seems to be

May 11th - season ends

May 28th - Poch appointed Spuds manager

May 30th - Lovren hands in transfer request

June 3rd - Croatia leave for Brazil

June 12th - WC starts

June 16th - Koeman appointed

June 23rd - Croatia play their last game

Has he spoken with Koeman?

To be fair Steve your not valued at 16 million plus by your boss.I expect he might have to think long and hard how he would treat you if you were..lol

We can't keep letting players take the ****. We're turning into a joke, we might as well get relegated, there is no point whatsover in us bothering with trying to achieve anything in the PL when this sort of thing is happening. The club HAS to make a stand. Les Reed has to show some ******** and lay down the law. He has said players won't leave but is still being forced into it.

If there is any truth in this rumour at all, it is long overdue that a club makes a stand on a matter of principle, otherwise it will become endemic. I do not know whether there is a clause in his contract that stipulates that an offer of £20 million or more could trigger his release if he desired it and what the legal implications are regarding our choice to refuse it, or to choose the club we sell to. If we are compelled to sell him for £20 million, can we then p*ss on him by selling him to a club of our choice rather than his? What are the legal implications then? If we have to sell him and we have a say in where he goes, it ought not to be to either Liverpool or Spurs, although there would be some schadenfreude in him being reunited with Pochettino, as I suspect that he will be unable to get them into CL football and will be gone before the season ends.

If no clause exists regarding the trigger fee, then we should do as we have with Lallana and Shaw, set an exorbitant fee and hope that the price will put off his suitors. If we get an ultimatum from him that he will go on strike, we should let him rot in the reserves. He might engineer a move at some stage, but it would be nice to think that other potential buyers in the future will avoid him as a troublemaker. If it is at all practical, we should also refuse to do business with his agent in future, as I suspect that he will have been the one responsible for putting the idea into Lovren's head.

If he does indeed intend to strike to force his departure, then it will be a disappointment from the point of view that his career at Lyon was a bit in the doldrums and he was not popular with his colleagues as I understand it. We have played a significant part in his rehabilitation and it would be a bit of a kick in the balls to have him pay us back in this way.

I really wish this would happen, but it never will.

How many times do you lot have to hear it ... The players bought into it, including the latest villain lallana, the goal posts were changed and now we're gonna be a tread water club

That comment from Lovren was well after Cortese had left though.

If we did sell for 20mill, would be good business in my opinion to sign Van Dijk and Caulker

This, if these players don't want to be here, just get rid and let RK start over with his team, with a good team spirit. Lovren for 20m, Osvaldo for whatever we can get and bring in players like Van Djik, Caulker, Cresswell, Ings etc with whatever you make

How many times do you lot have to hear it ... The players bought into it, including the latest villain lallana, the goal posts were changed and now we're gonna be a tread water club

Nobody cares why. In any case, players will say whatever suits their purposes. It's what happens next which is important.

I really wish this would happen, but it never will.

We're probably the best club to initiate such a policy. Apparently Lallana had threatened never to play for us again and now it is rumoured that Lovren might follow suit. If we buckle under this blackmail, could Schneiderlin be the next? Already with Lallana and potentially Lovren, we will have had more of this than any other club within my memory, so that it seems that we try really hard to keep our star players and this is their weapon of last resort.

But we more than most are able to implement this strategy because of wealthy ownership and it might be cost-effective in the long term. If we were to take the path of letting the player rot in the reserves, it ought to bring matters to a head with the football authorities. What if the club were forced to accept a lower fee for the player because he had forced the sale at a lower level? Why should the club lose out? Although it has been pointed out that if a club took this stance, other players would be put off going to that club in the future, but the other side of that coin is that the player would seriously affect his chances of going elswhere in the future, as he would gain pariah status as a disruptive force who might pursuade his new team mates to take similar action.

If we allowed another player to get away with it, there is no saying where it might end, not only with us, but with other clubs.

We're probably the best club to initiate such a policy. Apparently Lallana had threatened never to play for us again and now it is rumoured that Lovren might follow suit. If we buckle under this blackmail, could Schneiderlin be the next? Already with Lallana and potentially Lovren, we will have had more of this than any other club within my memory, so that it seems that we try really hard to keep our star players and this is their weapon of last resort.

If we allowed another player to get away with it, there is no saying where it might end, not only with us, but with other clubs.

Unfortunately this tactic has been around for a long time, at many clubs and many levels. Kenwyne Jones did it in recent years with us.

But we more than most are able to implement this strategy because of wealthy ownership and it might be cost-effective in the long term. If we were to take the path of letting the player rot in the reserves, it ought to bring matters to a head with the football authorities. What if the club were forced to accept a lower fee for the player because he had forced the sale at a lower level? Why should the club lose out? Although it has been pointed out that if a club took this stance, other players would be put off going to that club in the future, but the other side of that coin is that the player would seriously affect his chances of going elswhere in the future, as he would gain pariah status as a disruptive force who might pursuade his new team mates to take similar action.

Yeah, like that really worked with Kenwyne Jones didn't it...

Agree with the above, if the story is true.

Should try selling him abroad, certainly not consider selling to Liverpool or MP.

He can't play for anyone else unless we let him. If the club could afford it (which they probably can't) they should just treat him like they did Jonthan Forte or Lee Barnard (except neither of those two did anything wrong) and just let him rot wasting the best years of his career seeing out his contract. Won't happen of course.

I think we need to stand our ground on this one.

- Inform him that he won't be paid until he appears at training.

- Inform him we will not be selling him to another Premier League club.

- Inform him that the minimum we will accept is £16m for his services.

This will get his agent to do the leg work and if he can't find a club he has a potential to lose 3 years wages by playing in the reserves, by which time no club will be interested in him of the standard that he wants.

As an aside, was anyone not slightly worried about some of his performances in the second half of last year. There were a few games where I thought he had started to look like the player he was at Lyon. He may not be the amazing player that he is made out to be based on his performances of the first half of last year (not saying he is **** mind, just maybe not quite as good as made out).

Didn't think his WC performances were that great either, although I didn't focus on any poor performances 2nd half of the season, save for maybe against Spuds away. I also ask why Man U haven't come in for him as a replacement for Rio if he is so good. Don't get me wrong - if he is fully committed to Saints, then I would love him to stay.

Unfortunately this tactic has been around for a long time, at many clubs and many levels. Kenwyne Jones did it in recent years with us.

Regrettably with Lowe in charge, we just didn't have the money to play hardball with him. And although Kenwyne -Jones is not the only player to have tried it, it is still comparatively rare. But we could potentially be the first club if I'm not mistaken to have two players or more attemtpting this strategy within a short time frame.

Regrettably with Lowe in charge, we just didn't have the money to play hardball with him. And although Kenwyne -Jones is not the only player to have tried it, it is still comparatively rare. But we could potentially be the first club if I'm not mistaken to have two players or more attemtpting this strategy within a short time frame.

Jones went on strike in 2007 when Wilde was in charge.

He can't play for anyone else unless we let him. If the club could afford it (which they probably can't) they should just treat him like they did Jonthan Forte or Lee Barnard (except neither of those two did anything wrong) and just let him rot wasting the best years of his career seeing out his contract. Won't happen of course.

Thats a bloody good idea, loan him to Southend till he comes to his senses.

This was a year or so ago, when NC first threatened to leave - this kind of gives a general idea of the players thoughts, and why we're seeing what we're seeing - maybe. These are quotes direct from Morgan back in May last year.

"It would put everything in question again for every single player.

"The chairman and Mauricio Pochettino are a big part of this club. They are selling the project to us and that's why I signed a new contract, as well as other players doing the same.

"He is very supportive of the chairman so I am not surprised (by his comments).

"All the players are here because we trust Southampton is going to move forward so it would be a very disappointing if that (their departure) was to happen."

Kind of makes me want to say.....you sign your contract for the club, not for a flaming chairman and a project....you're signed up to represent the club no matter what........now get off your high horses, respect the club, take home your £60k or whatever per week and STFU........

Why not ?? If a player is not picked, he still gets paid. The Club have to "afford" the wages then

Last time I recall it happening Big Time at SFC was when Mark Wright "fell out" with Lawrie Mac. I think Lawrie sent him to train with the youngsters for a while

Lawrie won the argument

Attention Angelman

Yes I DO understand why Cortese left. Basically the NEW project was (and is) a pale shadow or Markus's original 5 year one

I hope YOU understand that that is why Poch and the players are following suit

Nonsense chap.

Pooch did not leave because the new project is a pale shadow of anything.

There was no 'new project' when pooch left. Just a very tidy financial offer from a 'bigger' club.

The players that have left, or may leave, are doing so to further their own careers (and why not).

The five year plan ended - successfully!

Unless you are seriously suggesting the new plan should consist of something akin to 'an assault by Southampton on the top four places and a EPL title and a CL semifinal place in five years' OF COURSE it cannot compare to 'rising three divisions and securing top half safety and (key point) financial independence under new FIFA guidelines'.

The fact we have achieved that is amazing.

Time for you, and others, to take a bit of a reality check sir!

Bless you if you think that's how footballers think; like some band of merry brothers committed to each other and to the 'ideals' of other men!

It's very sweet you think that way and I kinda wish it were true; what a better world this would be!

Edited by Polaroid Saint

But what are the new regime doing that is so different to what NC would have done?

One thing that did happen, which always seems to be overlooked especially by the likes of Ashton, is that the owner wanted some representation on the board of her company, something the chairman found not to his liking. I know it's a really really stupid thing to want to do, but hey. This is one of Ashton's greatest pieces.....http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2539563/Nicola-Cortese-close-quitting-Southampton-bust-owner-Katharina-Liebharr.html . In a later piece when his resignation had been accepted, Ashton said it was because the owner wanted more say in the running of the club. How really annoying and intolerable for an owner to want to ask for some accountability. ****.

Frankly if Cortese left because of that, then good. If his acolytes want to follow then good, even if it means going backwards and rebuilding. Cortese was not, inspite of what he might have thought, bigger than the club.

No need for Lovren to strike put him up for sale at £25m up front to anybody who wants him but £35m to Liverpool or Spurs Cash on the nail. another tapped up by the Liverpool Saints so F them all.

No, firsteleven (Lovren's agent unless changed) aren't known for their knobbish tricks. The situation must be really crappy if he's prepared to go to that extent tbh.
to keep high quality players would send a message to players joining us that we have a decent core.Selling all the best will mean any decent payers will not want to join

For all his numerous failings, this would never have happened under Cortese. He would have been an obstinate b@stard for the first transfer request and held out enough that no-one else thought to ask. The problem is we built up these egos and told them to be winners. And now we show weakness ourselves by caving into the transfer requests. Of course they are pushing to leave. We've shown them that we have limited ambition and zero guts. It's a perfect storm of crapulence.

The only way now to stop the rot is to keep losing players until anyone with ambition has left or put Lovren in the reserves until he gets his head straight. For every week he refuses to play, fine him. Accept that the £8m might not come back and just use the £60m we do have to buy replacements. If a European club comes in for him then sell him but no sales to a fellow premiership club. It's time to play hardball.

When folks on here were questioning Lallana's credibility as a captain, I said one thing: that he was worth that captaincy simply in terms of what he taught young players about the path to the first team. His presence said that youth could thrive, get to the first team and stay there. Now we have to make a sacrifice to say that we will not be pushed around. And Lovren MUST be that sacrifice. He has to be forced to spend the next 4 years in the reserves if need be to show players that the boardroom has the control, not the players. It's a battle too important to lose.

Champions League vision when we cant sell out every week???

NC was selling a dream he couldn't pay for. Its no coincidence that its World Cup year. Its obvious that there has been tapping up going on. Mick Channon referred to it in a tweet the other night.

Quit the BS about 5 year plans & just be honest & say 'I am going to double my money' - get some integrity back & **** off!!

Part of me enjoyed League 1 so much more than the inflated crap that is the premier league.

Part of me enjoyed League 1 so much more than the inflated crap that is the premier league.

Me too - but if we're honest the part we liked best was being top dog and winning most of the time because we had more money than the others.

For all his numerous failings, this would never have happened under Cortese.

Neither you nor I have any idea whether that statement is true or not as it was never actually put to the test at this level. The only player who was even remotely linked with a move away LAST summer, after an ultimately successful but relatively mediocre season, was Shaw, and that was based more on his potential than him tearing the league up like he did in the season just gone. Nobody else was in particularly great demand, Lallana had been largely poor, Lambert had scored goals but nobody was going to pay big bucks for what could have been Grant Holt MkII, etc.

Also worth bearing in mind what happened with Oxlade-Chamberlain. Clearly, we were in a much weaker bargaining position having only just been promoted from the third division, but the fact is that he wanted to leave, got his representatives to kick up a big stink, and got his wish. Cortese was chairman throughout all of that, so let's not go rewriting history here.

Champions League vision when we cant sell out every week???

NC was selling a dream he couldn't pay for. Its no coincidence that its World Cup year. Its obvious that there has been tapping up going on. Mick Channon referred to it in a tweet the other night.

Quit the BS about 5 year plans & just be honest & say 'I am going to double my money' - get some integrity back & **** off!!

If any of the players bought into Cortese and Pochettinos vision of CL football they need there head testing,we have no chance of gategrashing the top 4 and we never have.

Those two have left and I don't think I have seen any evidence that the club is any less ambitious than it was a year ago ?? the only difference now is that KL is spending her own money instead of NC

Strong rumours that RK has £70m to spend,I am not sure how accurate that is but the Shaw and AL money comes to £55m and we have been told numerous times that money is going straight to RK to spend,if I was a Southampton player I would be really excited about what lies ahead as we appear to be pushing on from last season,only time will tell if it comes off

Players have left,not because we wanted them out because they wanted out,I have no doubt in my mind that if they had wanted too they would still be here.

What it all comes down too is they have had one good season and there heads have been turned plain and simple,like someone mentioned in a tweet if Lovren wanted CL football so bad why did he leave Lyon and come to Southampton ?