New under 18's manager appointed - Anthony Limbrick

Matthew Le God

• 11 months later...
Probably more mutual than anything else, they can't have been too pleased with the academy results last season.

Youth results are very much 2nd place to progressing and developing players.

The under 18's lose their best players a lot of the time when they are used in the under 21's.

Youth results are very much 2nd place to progressing and developing players.

The under 18's lose their best players a lot of the time when they are used in the under 21's.

the same is true for chelsea but they did well.

this is the guy who replaced dodd and willo isn't it?

Interesting.

Someone on here who had links to the Academy said that his appointment (made off the back of the firing of Dodd and Williams) was because he was a great coach and coached most of the group in the U16's. Clearly, whilst U18 results have been mixed, this years intake has been poor so I wouldn't read too much into that. Fleming's appointment was made to give the U18's more of a 'been there' nous.

This hasn't worked out for whatever reason so it will be interesting to see what direction we go in here.

the same is true for chelsea but they did well.

Chelsea don't have lots of academy players working with the first team & in match day squads like Saints do.

Our best under 21's are with the first team, our best under 18's are with the under 21's, our best under 16's are with the under 18's etc. That all then impacts on the quality of each of the youth sides.

The purpose of Southampton's under 18 manager is to produce players for our first team, not solely under 18 results. How many Chelsea youth products have been regularly in their first team since John Terry in the late 1990's?

Chelsea don't have lots of academy players working with the first team & in match day squads like Saints do.

Our best under 21's are with the first team, our best under 18's are with the under 21's, our best under 16's are with the under 18's etc. That all then impacts on the quality of each of the youth sides.

The purpose of Southampton's under 18 manager is to produce players for our first team, not solely under 18 results. How many Chelsea youth products have been regularly in their first team since John Terry in the late 1990's?

I don't know where their U21s go (probably on loan) but last i checked, when a chelsea fan was gloating about having the youngest youth teams in the competition, i checked their assertion at the time and I don't believe they were wrong.

granted they haven't produced many players for their first team, but we haven't produced many players for chelsea either.

actually i've found the quote.

Two of the youngest U21 teams in the league.

Chelsea average age 18, Southampton 18.7.

I don't know where their U21s go (probably on loan) but last i checked, when a chelsea fan was gloating about having the youngest youth teams in the competition, i checked their assertion at the time and I don't believe they were wrong.

granted they haven't produced many players for their first team, but we haven't produced many players for chelsea either.

actually i've found the quote.

2 breaking through in Izzy Brown and Loftus-Cheek - I really rate Brown think he will be quality and made the bench a few times last season.

2 breaking through in Izzy Brown and Loftus-Cheek - I really rate Brown think he will be quality and made the bench a few times last season.

To be fair, they snared brown from WBA last season - or the season before. So not really one of their own.