Davis and the curse of aftertiming.

tisspahars

Touched on aftertiming here before and the stick SD has got for his miss highlights it perfectly. His mistake was not one of decision making, but execution. "Just put your laces through it ffs" seems to be the consensus. If he had placed it neatly in the corner that would have been "what a calm measured finish, resisted the temptation to blast it and made it look easy". And if, God forbid, he had put his laces through it and skied it over the bar "why oh why could he not show a bit of composure?". Very easy to say what could/should have happened when you've seen the result after the outcome.

Touched on aftertiming here before and the stick SD has got for his miss highlights it perfectly. His mistake was not one of decision making, but execution. "Just put your laces through it ffs" seems to be the consensus. If he had placed it neatly in the corner that would have been "what a calm measured finish, resisted the temptation to blast it and made it look easy". And if, God forbid, he had put his laces through it and skied it over the bar "why oh why could he not show a bit of composure?". Very easy to say what could/should have happened when you've seen the result after the outcome.

Probably more relevant is irrespective of how he hit it, laces, side foot whatever, the placement was straight at Mignolet and he didn't have to move to make a comfortable save....at this level, you at least expect efforts on goal to make the keeper move...agree it's easier said than done but it's what they're paid to do.

Probably more relevant is irrespective of how he hit it, laces, side foot whatever, the placement was straight at Mignolet and he didn't have to move to make a comfortable save....at this level, you at least expect efforts on goal to make the keeper move...agree it's easier said than done but it's what they're paid to do.

He had a sloppy game in some aspects, but I do like Davis. For me he's one of the first names on the team sheet, but for some reason he's always the player people seem to pass up on just to get Gaston shoe-horned in there!

He's a leader and an organiser. He will be key for how we do this year.

He had a sloppy game in some aspects, but I do like Davis. For me he's one of the first names on the team sheet, but for some reason he's always the player people seem to pass up on just to get Gaston shoe-horned in there!

He's a leader and an organiser. He will be key for how we do this year.

Good player although not sure how it will all play out Ramirez is back fit, especially at home.

Is this the case of a player becoming better when he's injured/not playing? Don't get me wrong, I think Gaston is a talent, but what on earth has he ever done at Southampton to be suggested as a starter ahead of Davis?

Good player although not sure how it will all play out Ramirez is back fit, especially at home.

Is this the case of a player becoming better when he's injured/not playing? Don't get me wrong, I think Gaston is a talent, but what on earth has he ever done at Southampton to be suggested as a starter ahead of Davis?

Why did WP pass it when he was closer to goal with (I think) an easyish finish to the top left corner??

He didn't have the best angle to be honest, he was being closed down very quickly. Davis was in the much better position and he should have made more of it. JWP made the right decision.

Why did WP pass it when he was closer to goal with (I think) an easyish finish to the top left corner??

He didn't have the best angle to be honest, he was being closed down very quickly. Davis was in the much better position and he should have made more of it. JWP made the right decision.

I think it was worse that Schneiderlin decided to stay back watching even though he could've easily gone for the ball and headed it clear much more easily than Davis who would've had to flick it backwards whilst being challenged.
ok, there seems to be quite a few who were at fault, but Davis was closest and on his heels.

I think it was worse that Schneiderlin decided to stay back watching even though he could've easily gone for the ball and headed it clear much more easily than Davis who would've had to flick it backwards whilst being challenged.
ok, there seems to be quite a few who were at fault, but Davis was closest and on his heels.

Based on last season, Davis got 2 goals and 7 assists in about 2500 minutes, while Gaston got 1 goals and 3 assists in about 600 minutes. Ramirez is never going to do the water carrying of Davis, but if we have Wanyama and Schneiderlin behind him, why would he need to?

Based on last season, Davis got 2 goals and 7 assists in about 2500 minutes, while Gaston got 1 goals and 3 assists in about 600 minutes. Ramirez is never going to do the water carrying of Davis, but if we have Wanyama and Schneiderlin behind him, why would he need to?