Yoshida

niceandfriendly

I know lots like to give him stick on here but got to give credit where it's due, he's been excellent so far this season, especially yesterday. If and when Gardos replaces him as first choice then we wouldn't find any/many better CBs who'll be happy to sit on the bench as backup.

Good post that pal.

Has had a decent start for us, gets far to much ill judged stick on here but

little praise when things are good

Said this all through the summer, Yoshida is easily good enough for 3rd choice CB - in fact it was a bit of a shame that he was kept out of the side for so long last season. In our first season he had some absolutely outstanding games - Norwich away being one of them where he kept us in the game with a perfectly timed goal-line clearance.

Credit where due to Yoshi, he has reasserted himself well in the side and recaptured the form that saw Fonte and himself contribute towards our comfortable survival in 12/13.

Hope he continues to play this well when called upon.

Yeah, I thought so initially but then what else was Yoshida meant to do? Deflections are part and parcel of being a defender nowadays. He'd get more stick if he didn't attempt to stop the ball reaching the goal.

He wasn't trying to block with any conviction. Hanging a lazy leg out turning away from the ball.

He has been solid without being brilliant, everyone still seems to be targeting him as a weak link but he has dealt with that pressure well. :)

Decent option as CB.

I'd say a mixture of 8/10 solid, 1/10 calamity, and argue 1/10 he can be brilliant. There was a couple of interceptions that he made yesterday that were stunning and showed how well he can read the game. Seems to me that he is a 26 year old that still plays like a 22 year old at times. The key thing is he is an intelligent player and still getting better.

Funny, start of last season many assumed it would be Fonte dropped and Yoshi playing alongside Lovren.

Don't really get how he can't he called Prem standard, was a first XI player in our first season up and we survived. Granted he is hardly top level prem, but he can do a job.

I like him, but don't really want him as a first teamer.

Pretty much stand by this to be honest.

He's perfectly fine, if not amazing. Usually needs a couple of games to hit his top level, which isn't at all uncommon really.

Credit where due to Yoshi, he has reasserted himself well in the side and recaptured the form that saw Fonte and himself contribute towards our comfortable survival in 12/13.

Hope he continues to play this well when called upon.

Straight out of the MLG book of howlers ;)

You mean Jos and Maya?

He wasn't trying to block with any conviction. Hanging a lazy leg out turning away from the ball.

Come of it. We both know that deflections are prone to go in all kinds of directions. It really doesn't matter whether it was lazy (your interpretation, not mine) or not, just that he did it in the first place. Plus, are we really expecting him to fling himself out in front of a shot that, according to some, should have been saved by Forster?

He did the right thing and was unlucky. That doesn't make him poor for yesterday's goal.

Come of it. We both know that deflections are prone to go in all kinds of directions. It really doesn't matter whether it was lazy (your interpretation, not mine) or not, just that he did it in the first place. Plus, are we really expecting him to fling himself out in front of a shot that, according to some, should have been saved by Forster?

He did the right thing and was unlucky. That doesn't make him poor for yesterday's goal.

He could have closed down more quickly. There was not much conviction in his attempt, he looked more like he was keeping his body out if the way.

I never understood why Yoshi was suddenly labeled as substandard, just because he was replaced by Lovren. I know Lovren is a better defender but Maya was excellent in our first season in the Prem and good enough for a midtable side. We certainly wont find a better 3rd choice CB, assuming that will be the case when Gardos is fit.

The problem with being a reserve player is you get thrown in at short notice when a regular started is injured. You are then expected to be comfortable and not make mistakes almost instantly, which is unrealistic. Some do, Tadic is taking to this team like a duck to water. On the other hand Lallana took a whole season to look like a Premier League player.

Glad to see he is proving a few people wrong. Please can we remember these performances if he gets replaced by Gardos and not label him as crap without actually kicking a ball.

Like a lot of players he just needs a run in the team. Bart B when he was our back up gk used to get a lot of stick, but when he actually had a run in the team he performed once more settled. When he was in for one game, then out etc he never really settled. Goes to show that once at Notts C and he got games under his belt then people could actually see what he could do.

Yoshida is not the best in the world but def gets unfair criticism.

Straight out of the MLG book of howlers ;)

You mean Jos and Maya?

I always thought we looked best with Fonte and Yoshi at centre back that year, like in the Liverpool game when Jos had to be subbed due to injury in the first half. :p And yes, he did look good alongside Jos too, who deserves a little more respect then he often gets :)

One of a few players that have and will continue to improve under RoKo

Great player who gets better when given a decent run in the team

Agree, I think he definitely WILL improve under one of the best centre backs the world has seen, plus he is "only" 26, so still fairly young in terms of a decent player in that position. He certainly does seem more calm and composed this year vs last and maybe his stint at the WC with Japan helped too?

I think he's still been toss to be honest. Massive hoof over his head against Millwall showing everything that's wrong with his game. Haven't seen enough of the West Ham game but he was still decidedly sub-good 4 days ago. In fact the biggest change I've noticed so far this season is that he's got YOSHIDA on his shirt now, instead of MAYA.

I know lots like to give him stick on here but got to give credit where it's due, he's been excellent so far this season, especially yesterday. If and when Gardos replaces him as first choice then we wouldn't find any/many better CBs who'll be happy to sit on the bench as backup.

Don't want lose him. But he's a bench warmer. Too many aimless hoofs straight to the opposition for me. Don't rate Yoshida as anything other than a cover man. We need another CB of PL quality.

I think he's still been toss to be honest. Massive hoof over his head against Millwall showing everything that's wrong with his game. Haven't seen enough of the West Ham game but he was still decidedly sub-good 4 days ago. In fact the biggest change I've noticed so far this season is that he's got YOSHIDA on his shirt now, instead of MAYA.

Long's vision was going to pick apart Wham, Yoshida's toss, Pelle's goal was a grudging ropey swinger - you're on a fantastic run of cluelessness.

Keep it up :smug:

Useful player, unlike Fonte and Hooivelt can play left or right CB.

He ma be able to play there but he can't do it very well. I still shudder at the memories of his performance at left back against West Ham. Marginally better at right back, but a full back he absolutely is not.