Beattie Invited to Learn from Saints?

Lighthouse

Beatts on SSN commenting on Man Utd Everton game. Said afterwards that Saints and West Brom had invited him in to help him with his management career. Obviously I doubt we will see him on our coaching staff but look out for him on the training pics.

a lot of former " top footballers" have tried management - but without success. It's not just about skill or knowledge, but man-management. How to get the best out of those you have....even the under-performers.

A list of " big name " players who've tried and failed would surprise many. Going back to the 1966 WC win, (surely the high-point in a very lack-lustre half century of English football history)...you can see that half a dozen of that team " tried their hand " at managing, and failed to deliver and perhaps only Alan Ball and Jack Charlton came out of it with any distinction.

If Beatts is really serious about wanting to manage... then he'll need all the tips and help he can get, and even then there's no guarantee.

Starting at the bottom - as he did with Accrington - must have been a bit of a culture shock for him but also good to see the reality of football first hand.

Good luck, I say James. Stick at it and who knows ...?

Edited by david in sweden

a lot of former " top footballers" have tried management - but without success. It's not just about skill or knowledge, but man-management. How to get the best out of those you have....even the under-performers.

A list of " big name " players who've tried and failed would surprise many. Going back to the 1966 WC win, (surely the high-point in a very lack-lustre half century of English football history)...you can see that half a dozen of that team " tried their hand " at managing, and failed to deliver and perhaps only Alan Ball and Jack Charlton came out of it with any distinction.

If Beatts is really serious about wanting to manage... then he'll need all the tips and help he can get, and even then there's no guarantee.

Starting at the bottom - as he did with Accrington - must have been a bit of a culture shock for him but also good to see the reality of football first hand.

Good luck, I say James. Stick at it and who knows ...?

But he was never a " top footballer " .

Personally , I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club.

I think you do him a disservice. IIRC he was second to Thierry Henry one season in the scoring stakes, by about 1 or 2 goals. That was playing in a mid-lower table team. There were clamours for him to be in the England squad, but in those days, you really didn't play for England if you played for Saints. OK, he was never the best of the best, but he was a top player for a season or two.

Starting as he did with Accrington showed a good deal of humility and an attitude to give something back to the game, people like that are surely welcome to learn at the club.

You don't have to be a top footballer to be a good manager. Many top managers were, at best, mediocre players.

And as long as the muffins are well secured I don't see a problem with him being near our club.

Starting as he did with Accrington showed a good deal of humility and an attitude to give something back to the game, people like that are surely welcome to learn at the club.

He paid money from his own pocket to prevent them being hit with a transfer embargo. Doesn't necessarily make him a good manager but shows he has the commitment needed to become one. He was doing everything there from changing players diets to picking up dog **** from the training ground (which I must admit seems a total change of character from his. seemingly, arrogant playing days.) Definitely deserves a chance of another job somewhere sometime. http://www.just-football.com/2014/09/death-of-a-love-affair-how-james-beattie-charmed-accrington-stanley/

He paid money from his own pocket to prevent them being hit with a transfer embargo. Doesn't necessarily make him a good manager but shows he has the commitment needed to become one. He was doing everything there from changing players diets to picking up dog **** from the training ground (which I must admit seems a total change of character from his. seemingly, arrogant playing days.) Definitely deserves a chance of another job somewhere sometime. http://www.just-football.com/2014/09/death-of-a-love-affair-how-james-beattie-charmed-accrington-stanley/

A lot of young people lose the plot a bit when given lots of fame and money quickly. Im glad he appears over that, good luck to him.

I believe he would have succeeded at Accrington had he not got involved in so many other activities such as supporting friends and various charities. No one can say he didn't put in a lot of hard work and commitment. Seeing how well Kevin Phillips is doing at Leicester and Gary Monk at Swansea maybe he could do a job or two for us. Personally I'd prefer Kevin Davis and believe he will be another ex Saints to be a success on the coaching and management side.

Didnt he also arrange for the Accrington fans who travelled down to a postponed game against that shower down the road to come across to St Mary's to watch a Premiership match ? Sounds like his arrogant days are well behind him. Good luck to him, some on here make him sound like the devil incarnate.

Beats whole life has revolved around sport, swimming before football, so I'd say commitment won't be a problem, maybe just needs a lucky break, seems to have the humility to be a decent organiser/ exec

whether that translates to coach or manager who knows

I've never understood the negative attitude some on here have to Beattie. As a player he was good for us. As a person, I had no direct dealings with him, but the one person I know who did know him and his then girlfriend via their own teenaged daughter always spoke highly of him as "a nice young man".

I've never understood the negative attitude some on here have to Beattie. As a player he was good for us. As a person, I had no direct dealings with him, but the one person I know who did know him and his then girlfriend via their own teenaged daughter always spoke highly of him as "a nice young man".

The fact you have no personal dealings with him is probably why you think he is a nice bloke.

The fact you have no personal dealings with him is probably why you think he is a nice bloke.

he used to be a total VVanker down town when he played for us

Matt Oakley was another..but not as bad.

the players (just before WGS came in) used to get wrecked down town most tuesdays and sometimes after saturday home games

BT was a total ****, apparently

the players (just before WGS came in) used to get wrecked down town most tuesdays and sometimes after saturday home games

It's his wife and kids I feel sorry for.

I met Beatts on a few occasions and also worked with Sarah his then girlfriend, now wife, at some charity events for Sophie's Appeal. He was a good guy, very confident and outgoing at times... and when mixed with alcohol that comes across as arrogance - just as it does for a large number of young people who go out drinking. We've probably ALL come across as not particularly nice people when out on the lash, especially as young ish lads.

But he's been doing generous work for Sophie's Appeal and other charities for years and isn't an arrogant person at all IMO - it's just that people make up their minds based on small snippets of what they see, usually at extremes.

Beatts was fine in town, in fact I went out with them in a group quite a few times (due to being mates at the time with golfers who were mates with a few of the players blah blah). Bridgey on the other hand is a proper ***t.

He was a nice guy. Genuinely.