Fraser Forster

Saint Charlie

Also still not convinced by him

Granted he has not had much to do, however when he has had saves to make its not been convincing, I felt he should of done better for West hams goal and it looked like it bounced over him,he was league 1 standard against Spurs and obviously the mistake last night,maybe Sunday will be the test as City are certain to have chances

Jesus H Christ, this place is laughable at times :mcinnes:

I know. Gotta love keeper threads, there's nothing better for demonstrating how clueless some people are at judging footballers.

Do you remember the boruc one after his first game? The one with the spat with someone in the chapel stand. The majority of posters on that thread thought Davis was a better bet and that boruc was a waste of space, a has been. I remember saying on that thread that although ring rusty and unfit, he was clearly a class above Davis, and actually talked to his defence to help organise them, something that hadn't happened in years.

I think it's fair to say I was proved right on that one, and I think I will be proved right about this: Forster has the potential to be one of our very best ever keepers.

If you listened to people on here, boruc is better than Forster, Davis is better than boruc, and some rated gazzaniga as a better bet than Davis. So on that rational gazzaniga is better than Forster. And lo and behold, there's some people on this thread saying Forster reminds them of gazzaniga! Clueless. The class level difference is blindingly obvious to anyone who knows anything about football.

What was obvious last season was that our second choice options for keeper were unacceptable at this level. So we bought an excellent prospect who needs games to develop in the hope that boruc would be happy as a second choice. After he spat his dummy, and given that our club ethos is all about a happy camp, we had no option but to get rid, but done in a way that means we can call him back if needed.

Is Forster a better keeper today than boruc? Possibly not. Has forster got the potential to be better? Absolutely. So play him, develop him, accept the odd blunder and reap the rewards. You only need to look at the likes of morgan and lallana to see what happens if you stick with people who so clearly have the talent.

And lastly, for the love of God, will people stop going on about the size of his transfer fee. It's irrelevant. Surely as a saints fan, seeing the fees we received this summer, you must appreciate that fees are not just about talent, but about availability and demand.

I know. Gotta love keeper threads, there's nothing better for demonstrating how clueless some people are at judging footballers.

Do you remember the boruc one after his first game? The one with the spat with someone in the chapel stand. The majority of posters on that thread thought Davis was a better bet and that boruc was a waste of space, a has been. I remember saying on that thread that although ring rusty and unfit, he was clearly a class above Davis, and actually talked to his defence to help organise them, something that hadn't happened in years.

I think it's fair to say I was proved right on that one, and I think I will be proved right about this: Forster has the potential to be one of our very best ever keepers.

If you listened to people on here, boruc is better than Forster, Davis is better than boruc, and some rated gazzaniga as a better bet than Davis. So on that rational gazzaniga is better than Forster. And lo and behold, there's some people on this thread saying Forster reminds them of gazzaniga! Clueless. The class level difference is blindingly obvious to anyone who knows anything about football.

What was obvious last season was that our second choice options for keeper were unacceptable at this level. So we bought an excellent prospect who needs games to develop in the hope that boruc would be happy as a second choice. After he spat his dummy, and given that our club ethos is all about a happy camp, we had no option but to get rid, but done in a way that means we can call him back if needed.

Is Forster a better keeper today than boruc? Possibly not. Has forster got the potential to be better? Absolutely. So play him, develop him, accept the odd blunder and reap the rewards. You only need to look at the likes of morgan and lallana to see what happens if you stick with people who so clearly have the talent.

And lastly, for the love of God, will people stop going on about the size of his transfer fee. It's irrelevant. Surely as a saints fan, seeing the fees we received this summer, you must appreciate that fees are not just about talent, but about availability and demand.

Oh my God, another of the "Look how brilliant I am, I can prove all my arguments are right and I know everything there is to know about football and no-one else knows ****" poster. I thought we had enough of this "thrush" type on other threads. Clearly demonstrated that your understanding of football is questionable and your understanding of the concept of people having views contrary to your own is completely alien. If you cannot see some of the weaknesses of Forster's current game and cannot deal with people making a point about this without saying that the guy is complete horse crap, then really feel a Forum is not the place for you. Forster is 26, youngish for a keeper, and he will develop and will probably be a great keeper in time, but to just ignore his current failings and pretend they don't happen is just plain daft. He made a blunder last night, as Ron said "we are all human people", nothing wrong with that, but to ignore the other incidents and his nervousness which has been evident on several occasions this season is just ostrich-like. At times his body language reminds me of Gazza (just to be clear this is not saying he is better or worse or even comparable to Gazza, just a reference to a common trait in his behaviour on the pitch). It is concerning that we have a keeper who is anxious and indecisive when he is lined up behind the best back 6 in the premier league and one of the best in Europe. Its worrying, but there's nothing to be done about it other than just stick with it until hopefully his confidence improves, he is our No 1 keeper and will be for many years to come hopefully. Anyway, I guess as I know nothing about footballers i should just understand my place is in the wet bed and try to ignore any negatives with the team. I look forward excitedly to our match against Man City with confidence.

Very poor tonight, lapse of concentration for the goal and he never seemed to regain it. Must be hard though where he's been stood about scratching his arse for the last month.

If he's stayed on his line I think Toby would've got to the ball first, he only pulled wide when he saw Fraser had committed. Shame as it gave Villa something to try to defend, and we were never going to score many playing that poorly.

He made a decision to come for it and didn't get it - I also think Alderweireld would have cleared it, but that's the decision he made, and it's not really a situation that occurs all that often to be concerned with - if he'd stayed rooted and Toby hadn't got there he'd have been criticised for that too.

As for "never recovered", he made a load of clean catches in a crowded box after it and looked perfectly composed, before late on having to try and punch a ball from a cross when the striker was precisely where the ball went and he couldn't get to it - if he hadn't challenged for it they might have scored again.

His worst performance was at Spurs, where he did look off-form, and even then he only conceded once.

Oh, and Villa were going to play like that whether 1-0 up or 6-0 down.

Edited by The9

I can't disagree with any of that.

He made a decision to come for it and didn't get it - I also think Alderweireld would have cleared it, but that's the decision he made, and it's not really a situation that occurs all that often to be concerned with - if he'd stayed rooted and Toby hadn't got there he'd have been criticised for that too.

As for "never recovered", he made a load of clean catches in a crowded box after it and looked perfectly composed, before late on having to try and punch a ball from a cross when the striker was precisely where the ball went and he couldn't get to it - if he hadn't challenged for it they might have scored again.

His worst performance was at Spurs, where he did look off-form, and even then he only conceded once.

It was a misjudgment made in a fraction of a second. At least it wasn't an error of ego.

I can't disagree with any of that.

It was a misjudgment made in a fraction of a second. At least it wasn't an error of ego.

Can't understand why Boruc is made out to be so special by comparison. Sure, he is very good on his line and ok at crosses (personally I think that FF is better in the air) but so often he is prone to a 'rush of blood to the head' and has had his fair share of silly gaffes !

His attitude has proved to be questionable and taking all things into consideration I reckon that we are safer with FF !

All IMHO of course (cue Irene, with an indignant response!).

Boruc is a loose cannon temperament wise and is prone to the odd moment of stupidity aka the arsenal howler, but to me he is currently the better keeper and regularly pulls of world class saves! the few shots of any real intent forster has had so far he hasnt dealt with particularly well.

Was Boruc just dropped because of the twitter comments? seems like Fraser hasn't had to earn his place

Boruc is a loose cannon temperament wise and is prone to the odd moment of stupidity aka the arsenal howler, but to me he is currently the better keeper and regularly pulls of world class saves! the few shots of any real intent forster has had so far he hasnt dealt with particularly well.

Was Boruc just dropped because of the twitter comments? seems like Fraser hasn't had to earn his place

Boruc was dropped because Forster was bought as a number 1 keeper, don't think the club ever made any secret of the fact, didn't RK actually say so, provoking months of vitriol from "Irene"?

Boruc was dropped because Forster was bought as a number 1 keeper, don't think the club ever made any secret of the fact, didn't RK actually say so, provoking months of vitriol from "Irene"?

why did they think boruc wasnt the "number one keeper?"

why did they think boruc wasnt the "number one keeper?"

Ah the 64 million dollar question, Boruc had his very own thread a while back, I'm sure all the info is contained within it, we even had someone close to him participating in it,he just wasn't rated by the new management team or Reed or whatever and it was known long before Forster got here. We have hired an ex-England GK coach, Forster is one of his chicks so there was no way Boruc would be number 1, find the thread and read it would be my counsel to you if you really want to know.

Wasn't it was facts. Only time will tell if RK made right choice. Likely in the future aspect it will be as age is only thing Forster has in favour between them both and Southampton days are behind Boruc anyway so no longer matters which one is better goalie in terms of southampton football club only that Forster repays Watsons faith in him

Edited by irene

Wasn't it was facts. Only time will tell if RK made right choice. Likely in the future aspect it will be as age is only thing Forster has in favour between them both and Southampton days are behind Boruc anyway so no longer matters which one is better goalie

When that goal went in last night I wondered how long it would be until you reappeared.

Hiya!

Wasn't it was facts. Only time will tell if RK made right choice. Likely in the future aspect it will be as age is only thing Forster has in favour between them both and Southampton days are behind Boruc anyway so no longer matters which one is better goalie in terms of southampton football club only that Forster repays Watsons faith in him

Let us then say facts presented in a stringent way, still think you got a lot of grief that you shouldn't have done though. Boruc was a good keeper, bit injury prone but he should have at least got a chance this season.

When that goal went in last night I wondered how long it would be until you reappeared.

Hiya!

I don't beleive the team dropped points last night because of Fraser Forster. He was not worse player on park but was poor by him

Edited by irene

Can't understand why Boruc is made out to be so special by comparison. Sure, he is very good on his line and ok at crosses (personally I think that FF is better in the air) but so often he is prone to a 'rush of blood to the head' and has had his fair share of silly gaffes !

His attitude has proved to be questionable and taking all things into consideration I reckon that we are safer with FF !

No, you're wrong. Despite catching vitrually every cross within his reach the forum has decreed that he is now a flapper and will never take another cross, ever. He will stay public enemy No.1 until he tries to triple Cruyff turn an opposing striker making himself look a complete tit in the process, when he will become a 'cult hero' and the forum wrath will turn to another poor unfortunate who misplaces a pass...

But Guzan was by far the better keeper, wonder how much he'd have cost us last summer.

I personally believe Forster was over paid for because Watson wanted him, Saints could afford it and celts weren't letting him go for less as celts are all about making as much as they can on player sales

Whether determined by talent, supply or demand, the size of the transfer fee is relevant and will always be relevant, you utter helmet. In your cheerfully naive world, is there always a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and money grows on trees? In the real world, meanwhile, budgets are preciously finite and everything comes with an opportunity cost.

But Guzan was by far the better keeper, wonder how much he'd have cost us last summer.

We have conceded 6 this season. How many have Villa conceded? Football is a team game. It is unfair to single one person out. If others had done their job well last night we would have won comfortably.

No, you're wrong. Despite catching vitrually every cross within his reach the forum has decreed that he is now a flapper and will never take another cross, ever. He will stay public enemy No.1 until he tries to triple Cruyff turn an opposing striker making himself look a complete tit in the process, when he will become a 'cult hero' and the forum wrath will turn to another poor unfortunate who misplaces a pass...

See it slightly differently. Forster will rarely come for a cross and dominate his six yard box unless it is completely uncontested. For all his size, he doesn't always use it.

All IMHO of course (cue Irene, with an indignant response!).

It's a pattern that I have noticed over the years that the keeper who isn't playing is better than the one who is. Stands to reason I suppose - they haven't let in any goals in that time! ;)

It's a pattern that I have noticed over the years that the keeper who isn't playing is better than the one who is. Stands to reason I suppose - they haven't let in any goals in that time! ;)

Artur got beaten twice on Saturday by a weak shot and loopy header. Don't you agree he should have done better?

Artur got beaten twice on Saturday by a weak shot and loopy header. Don't you agree he should have done better?

Not sure why my quote was paired here since I was, in my roundabout way, standing up for Forster. I certainly agree that AB could have done better. Forster's error was a howler but I seem to recollect couple by AB also - Arsenal springs to mind. Every keeper has them. There is not a lot between the two and Borucs may even, at the moment, be marginally better but FF has been brought in for the long term.

I don't get Forster. Whether Celtic, Saints or England he has an amazing ability to never have much to deal with!

It's good and bad for him. Good record, few conceded, but the few shots on target sometimes seem to surprise him. Villa was a really stupid error, but then happen. More worried about the stoke and west ham goals where they aren't 'mistakes', but you'd just hope he'd do better.

I have no idea how good he is. Need to see he really busy. Just worry about how quickly he gets down low and spreads himself, something Boruc was very good at.

But he'll clearly got the potential and already better than half the premier league so even if he fcks up a few more there's no point getting on his back.

I expect he'll be kept quite busy in the next 3 games, which will be interest to see how he gets on

Whilst not wishing to enter into the debate about how right you were before etc etc every single thing you have written here about the relative merits of the keepers; about the judgements people make on here and the transfer fee (surely no one is still going on about that!) are dead right. You might also have added that Forster has been an important element in the transformation of our defence because the people min front of him believe in him and trust him which is why last night's ricket should not have any lasting effect.

Ah the 64 million dollar question, Boruc had his very own thread a while back, I'm sure all the info is contained within it, we even had someone close to him participating in it,he just wasn't rated by the new management team or Reed or whatever and it was known long before Forster got here. We have hired an ex-England GK coach, Forster is one of his chicks so there was no way Boruc would be number 1, find the thread and read it would be my counsel to you if you really want to know.

thanks, So hiring a ex-england goalkeeping coach ultimately cost boruc his place at the club as he didnt like him

My goodness some people need to take a deep breath & look at themselves in the mirror and ask THIER reflection if they've ever made a mistake.

I know I have in my time. Fraser dropped a bol-lock, big deal! he will get over it, as will we. Every goal keeper will make mistakes, and guess what folks it usually results in a goal.

Plenty of other players were off form, just slightly out of sorts call it what you will. They all made mistakes, Big Vics passing was atrocious at times as were others.

Please use the correct words when spouting condescending clichés.

Whether determined by talent, supply or demand, the size of the transfer fee is relevant and will always be relevant, you utter helmet. In your cheerfully naive world, is there always a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and money grows on trees? In the real world, meanwhile, budgets are preciously finite and everything comes with an opportunity cost.

Liverpool paid 35 million for andy Carroll. Juve paid nothing for pirlo. You utter helmet. And there's a long list of alternative comparisons if you want to further the discussion.

Not sure why my quote was paired here since I was, in my roundabout way, standing up for Forster. I certainly agree that AB could have done better. Forster's error was a howler but I seem to recollect couple by AB also - Arsenal springs to mind. Every keeper has them. There is not a lot between the two and Borucs may even, at the moment, be marginally better but FF has been brought in for the long term.

Sorry, I meant to ask the question directly to "Irene" and was using your post as I agreed with it.

Surely you judge a keeper by the number of goals he lets in? On this criterion, Forster is not doing too bad.

Well said. I do worry that the forum is starting to read like a liverpool forum from last year. Challenging for the title (or at least top 4) with the 3rd best defence in the Europe and we still find something to complain about. Irene put it well too. Boruc's southampton days are behind him so who is the better keeper is largely irrelevant.