Guly Signs For Chicago Fire

rickylambert

God - some of you guys are right up your own backside leaping on a bit of hyperbole as though he meant it literally. His point was that compared to most League 1 players he appeared that way. And if you want to be literal neither AL or RL were geniuses either - just very good players (and I am a big fan of both)

Decent though he was in L1, he didn't even get in the 2010-11 League 1 team of the season, "genius" is massively overstating his general "fair bit better than averageness".

Pos. Player Club

GK England Kelvin Davis * Southampton

DF Spain Iñigo Calderón Brighton & Hove Albion

DF Scotland Gordon Greer Brighton & Hove Albion

DF Portugal José Fonte Southampton

DF England Dan Harding Southampton

MF Ireland Anthony Pilkington Huddersfield Town

MF England Adam Lallana Southampton

MF England Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Southampton

MF England Elliott Bennett Brighton & Hove Albion

FW Scotland Craig Mackail-Smith Peterborough United

FW England Bradley Wright-Phillips Charlton Athletic

Exactly. And many Saints fans would have been quite happy for us to sign the genius of Craig Mackail-Smith to replace Guly back in the L1 days.

He did well for us, but took a lot of stick from supporters so lets not rewrite history and pretend he was universally considered a fantastic player for us.

Decent though he was in L1, he didn't even get in the 2010-11 League 1 team of the season, "genius" is massively overstating his general "fair bit better than averageness".

Pos. Player Club

GK England Kelvin Davis * Southampton

DF Spain Iñigo Calderón Brighton & Hove Albion

DF Scotland Gordon Greer Brighton & Hove Albion

DF Portugal José Fonte Southampton

DF England Dan Harding Southampton

MF Ireland Anthony Pilkington Huddersfield Town

MF England Adam Lallana Southampton

MF England Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Southampton

MF England Elliott Bennett Brighton & Hove Albion

FW Scotland Craig Mackail-Smith Peterborough United

FW England Bradley Wright-Phillips Charlton Athletic

Rickie Lambert didn't make that team either - would that mean Mackail-Smith or Wright-Phillips are better and Rickie was just a bit better than average?

I'd say Do Prado was a better footballer than Bennett and maybe Pilkington too, IMO.

GDP was apparently a lovely bloke, characterful and popular with his fellow Saints players and rated by many of them for his skill with the ball. He covered the ground extremely quickly, scored plenty of splendid goals for us and was instrumental in our two promotions to the PL. Let's celebrate the good he achieved for us, ffs. OK he was languid off the ball and was at fault for a goal or two against us; but what of our other players wasn't. He was just about good enough to play in the PL and it was a pity he was so often used merely to close a game down and never got a goal for us in the top flight. The abuse he got on this forum and at some games was uncalled-for and distasteful. I was pleased to see plenty of messages of appreciation earlier in this thread; here is one more. I hope he does well in the USA.

Go for it Guly. Very good luck to you; true supporters here remember you fondly.

Exactly. And many Saints fans would have been quite happy for us to sign the genius of Craig Mackail-Smith to replace Guly back in the L1 days.

He did well for us, but took a lot of stick from supporters so lets not rewrite history and pretend he was universally considered a fantastic player for us.

Clap Clap Clap

Soon know if he's a starter or not. The Fire are in the opening game of the 2015 MLS season.

Away to LA Galaxy on Friday 6 March 10pm ET (3am UK time). Set those alarm clocks boys 'n' girls.

Are there any MLS games live on TV in England? If not - there soon will be when the MLS drops its salary cap...

• 1 month later...
Soon know if he's a starter or not. The Fire are in the opening game of the 2015 MLS season.

Away to LA Galaxy on Friday 6 March 10pm ET (3am UK time). Set those alarm clocks boys 'n' girls.

Are there any MLS games live on TV in England? If not - there soon will be when the MLS drops its salary cap...

If they drop their salary cap a lot of non British players in the PL will be on the move stateside. As will quite a few British stars. Money will talk big time on this subject.

But they won't drop it. Americans are more sensible than us in that regard.

Plus they already have a precedent set in the NFL, NBA and NHL when it comes to salaries. The idea of a cap works in principle but it means they won't attract the quality players their league needs in order for it to grow - just old pros looking for a final payday like Henry, Lampard & Gerrard.

But they won't drop it. Americans are more sensible than us in that regard.

But MLS might raise the salary cap to the point where teams can offer competitive wages for all but the top players. Admittedly that is not likely to happen soon since the last season's cap (excluding designated players) is around 38K pounds a week for 20 players. Yes, Forster makes more than an entire MLS roster (again, excluding designated players).

I have not checked its accuracy but here is a link for the average salaries in various football leagues.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/chart-the-average-player-salaries-in-soccer-leagues-ar-1658856283

But MLS might raise the salary cap to the point where teams can offer competitive wages for all but the top players. Admittedly that is not likely to happen soon since the last season's cap (excluding designated players) is around 38K pounds a week for 20 players. Yes, Forster makes more than an entire MLS roster (again, excluding designated players).

I have not checked its accuracy but here is a link for the average salaries in various football leagues.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/chart-the-average-player-salaries-in-soccer-leagues-ar-1658856283

Would love to see a more up to date version of this, given how much it seems to rise every year. Really interesting how much even league 2 players earn now.

• 4 months later...

The MLS released their player salaries the other day:

http://www.mlsplayers.org/images/July%2015,%202015%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

Guly is on a base of $120,000 with a guaranteed salary of $135,000 (about £87,000). Per season.

What do most Saints players make nowadays?

'I've always dreamed of playing in the English Premier League' - when X player blindly says this then they ain't joking are they...

The MLS released their player salaries the other day:

http://www.mlsplayers.org/images/July%2015,%202015%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

Guly is on a base of $120,000 with a guaranteed salary of $135,000 (about £87,000). Per season.

What do most Saints players make nowadays?

'I've always dreamed of playing in the English Premier League' - when X player blindly says this then they ain't joking are they...

Shaun Maloney is getting 1.5 per season. Shaun ****ing Maloney? Jesus wept.

The guy was part of our rise back to the prem! stop slagging him and just wish him well! this is one of the most *****y footie forums around, love him or loath him he was a Saints player that helped put us where we are now, for that i say thanks Guly, and go show them yanks how to play FOOTBALL, not soccer! :)

Doing the same when Chicago come to Toronto!

Pirlo is the highest earner in the MLS on £5.2m per year. Those figures must be distorted, prob due to the half-season (not sure why).

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/33535637

I'm looking forward to seeing them both make their debuts at Yankee Stadium this Sunday!

I'll float it out there (mostly on Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale), we should do a once a year "North American-once-a-Saint-always-a-Saint-jamboree" where North American Saints fans get together to support Southampton's past, current and future glories at an MLS game consisting of former Saints, or just when Guly comes to Philly because I don't want to drive that far. Ralph will show up, no doubt. Deal? Done. See you lot in August.

God - some of you guys are right up your own backside leaping on a bit of hyperbole as though he meant it literally. His point was that compared to most League 1 players he appeared that way. And if you want to be literal neither AL or RL were geniuses either - just very good players (and I am a big fan of both)

Quite right. Exactly the same as CMFG, (Chrissy Marsden Football Genius). A bit of hyperbole doesn't go amiss when we remember a player with fondness for the contribution they made for us during our phoenix-like rise up through the divisions.

I'll float it out there (mostly on Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale), we should do a once a year "North American-once-a-Saint-always-a-Saint-jamboree" where North American Saints fans get together to support Southampton's past, current and future glories at an MLS game consisting of former Saints, or just when Guly comes to Philly because I don't want to drive that far. Ralph will show up, no doubt. Deal? Done. See you lot in August.

We could have done this for the Indy Eleven (Indianapolis NASL team). They had Corby Moore (Southampton academy) playing for them and Paul Telfer (played for Saints in the 2003 FA Cup Final) was the assistant head coach.

They have now both left though!

Def up for a meet at a game sometime though. How about going to see the Cincinnati Saints sometime? ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Saints )

• 2 weeks later...
We could have done this for the Indy Eleven (Indianapolis NASL team). They had Corby Moore (Southampton academy) playing for them and Paul Telfer (played for Saints in the 2003 FA Cup Final) was the assistant head coach.

They have now both left though!

Def up for a meet at a game sometime though. How about going to see the Cincinnati Saints sometime? ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Saints )

Did not know there was a Cincinnati Saints...I go there occasionally. Have to check their schedule next time.

Absolutely gutted. Would have loved to get a picture with him and reminiscent about Southampton, the WestQuay and all. Lest we forget it was his assist that Sharp put in the back of the net to seal promotion (I know Lallana gets credited but it was Guly's cross).

O well, as an aside I have two spare tickets to the Indy MotoGP this weekend and it looks like there may be a few Saints in the Midwest (at least some west of Appalachia) so let me know if anyone wants to drown our Guly-less sorrows in the "Crossroads of America."

Absolutely gutted. Would have loved to get a picture with him and reminiscent about Southampton, the WestQuay and all. Lest we forget it was his assist that Sharp put in the back of the net to seal promotion (I know Lallana gets credited but it was Guly's cross).

O well, as an aside I have two spare tickets to the Indy MotoGP this weekend and it looks like there may be a few Saints in the Midwest (at least some west of Appalachia) so let me know if anyone wants to drown our Guly-less sorrows in the "Crossroads of America."

If you are in Indy this weekend then the Indy Eleven are at home at 7.30pm on Sat Aug 8 ( http://www.indyeleven.com/schedule ).

They play at the Michael A. Carroll Stadium ('The Mike') which is close to downtown (1101 West New York Street Indianapolis, IN 46202).

No Saints connections (that I know of) at the moment though. You'd just have to pretend.

Interesting that Guly didn't make it in the MLS. It ain't quite the 'Sunday Retirement League' that people make it out to be.

If you are in Indy this weekend then the Indy Eleven are at home at 7.30pm on Sat Aug 8 ( http://www.indyeleven.com/schedule ).

They play at the Michael A. Carroll Stadium ('The Mike') which is close to downtown (1101 West New York Street Indianapolis, IN 46202).

No Saints connections (that I know of) at the moment though. You'd just have to pretend.

Interesting that Guly didn't make it in the MLS. It ain't quite the 'Sunday Retirement League' that people make it out to be.

Corby Moore went there. Is he not still there?

Corby Moore went there. Is he not still there?

No - he left to go and play for Forest Green Rovers in The Conference back in January.

Paul Telfer was the Indy assistant coach but left in June. Don't think he went anywhere else - just got the tin-tack when the head coach (Juergen Sommer) left as well.