EXODUS at Liverpool?

Saint-Armstrong

I don't fully understand why everyone is putting this on the agent. If, and we don't really know for sure, Sterling has told him he doesn't want to play for Liverpool any more, then why should he be signing a contract regardless of what sort of money he is offered? It's poor that the whole thing has played out in the media, but that is just as much Liverpool's fault as it is Sterling's and his agent. And those quote are bloody funny.

I'd like to know from Souness, Carragher etc why it is perfectly ok and right for young, developing players from Southampton to move to bigger clubs for more money, better chance of winning trophies etc but it's outrageous for a Liverpool player to do exactly the same

:lol: - To be honest, I've never seen a situation like this before with an agent coming out with comments like this. Incredible. You've got to wonder why he feels so strongly though, apart from the obvious fact of getting a nice agent fee, Sterling must be pretty adamant he wants out for reasons other than money/lack of success. Maybe he also can see right through Rogers?

I can't wait for the next Liverpool press conference. I wonder if BR is still "totally relaxed" about the situation...

I can't wait for the next Liverpool press conference. I wonder if BR is still "totally relaxed" about the situation...

He probably is, everyone is putting in such a tremendous effort and he's proud of how it's panning out. Or something a long those lines.

From Sky Transfer Centre:

STERLING SAGA TAKES FRESH TWIST

Our sources are contacting Aidy Ward as we speak to gain clarification on those sensational quotes on his client Raheem Sterling, and he is already denying their accuracy, and is taking legal advice.

sterling has more potential to go the other way and end up plying his trade for Norwich or west ham in 4-5 years then he has to go and become the hottest property off thexe isles since bale. Immortalise my words and revisit them in four years, I bet I'm not far from the truth.

He could play alongside Forster for them in L1. :D

From Sky Transfer Centre:

STERLING SAGA TAKES FRESH TWIST

Our sources are contacting Aidy Ward as we speak to gain clarification on those sensational quotes on his client Raheem Sterling, and he is already denying their accuracy, and is taking legal advice.

It's not like he can claim he's been misquoted here, so either someone is pretending to be him, or he's backtracking quicker than Dejan Lolvren.

I'd like to know from Souness, Carragher etc why it is perfectly ok and right for young, developing players from Southampton to move to bigger clubs for more money, better chance of winning trophies etc but it's outrageous for a Liverpool player to do exactly the same

It'll take us finishing above them this season (and doing better than them in the Europa League next season) for this criterion to have any weight. Otherwise the answer is "because Liverpool are a big club and Saints are not", and the facts support that. It's only by being Man City or Chelsea and leap-frogging them for a few years you get to question that logic.

Jesus, the Aidy Ward is off his nut! Talk about shots fired.... I actually hope Liverpool keep him for another season, nowhere near the finished article and wouldn't start for City or Chelsea IMO. The epitome of what's wrong with modern footballers and their agents, refusing to take the blame for failure or see themselves as part of a solution to a problem, instead wanting instant success/ riches off the back of a group of players already established elsewhere. Liverpool (for all their faults) are one of the few clubs big enough to make a stand against a wrongun like Sterling, good luck to them.

Seriously though, Aidy Ward f***ing hell :mcinnes::lol:

It'll take us finishing above them this season (and doing better than them in the Europa League next season) for this criterion to have any weight. Otherwise the answer is "because Liverpool are a big club and Saints are not", and the facts support that. It's only by being Man City or Chelsea and leap-frogging them for a few years you get to question that logic.

Not sure I follow that. Obviously Liverpool are a bigger club than us and can pay bigger wages and offer a better chance of winning trophies.

Chelsea, United, City and Arsenal offer a better chance of winning trophies and pay bigger wages than Liverpool, so why shouldn't he want to leave?

That Independant report above doesn't actually say where the quotes came from, just that Ward was quoted as saying those things. Not read any other reports but assume they are the same, unless it says "Ward told us" or "Ward was speaking to xxx" then guess it'll be up in the air. They obviously came from somewhere but can't imagine it was an official interview!

I think the original quotes are from the Evening Standard. Seems as though the agent is backtracking somewhat on the bit where he called Carragher a knob, but suspect that's more a case of him saying something that he thought would be obviously assumed to be off-the-record.

Not sure I follow that. Obviously Liverpool are a bigger club than us and can pay bigger wages and offer a better chance of winning trophies.

Chelsea, United, City and Arsenal offer a better chance of winning trophies and pay bigger wages than Liverpool, so why shouldn't he want to leave?

I get what you're saying. The crux is that Carragher thinks Liverpool are on the same level as Man City, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea so he regards Sterling as being at a "big club", and why would he want to leave?

My argument was that it would take Saints being better than Liverpool to get us into the "big club" category so that logically there would be a difference in the likelihood of us keeping players compared to Liverpool... BUT...

...it doesn't even matter if Saints did outstrip Liverpool in the next season or two, Carragher doesn't even recognise that Chelsea are a level above, so he's not going to accept Saints are any time soon either.

I've heard sterling just doesn't like Brenda thats why he wants out

Could be, when Rodgers was all the rage at Liverpool at the beginning of last season he was seen in a club clip violently ticking Sterling off for not paying attention to the team talk that he was giving.

Liverpool fans getting very excited that this is them wrestling control back in the situation :lol:

It strikes me that a player and agent who don't want to sign a new contract having negotiations for said contract cancelled by the club have won. :lol:

He probably is, everyone is putting in such a tremendous effort and he's proud of how it's panning out. Or something a long those lines.

'i think the contract talks were outstanding'.

I think outstanding is his favourite word

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=321363.5000 this thread is a bit of a laugh if anyone has got a chance to read it. Such symmetry to our ''Lallana'' thread from last year. :lol:

Love how they're all playing down his ability and that they'll be better off (They don't want him around Coutinho and Ibe, what, the same Coutinho who will probably leave next year? :lol:). As seems to be the case with most fans, if a player starts mouthing off and wants to go, then he's actually not that good anyway.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=321363.5000 this thread is a bit of a laugh if anyone has got a chance to read it. Such symmetry to our ''Lallana'' thread from last year. :lol:

Love how they're all playing down his ability and that they'll be better off (They don't want him around Coutinho and Ibe, what, the same Coutinho who will probably leave next year? :lol:). As seems to be the case with most fans, if a player starts mouthing off and wants to go, then he's actually not that good anyway.

Think you're largely seeing what you want to see.

It strikes me that a player and agent who don't want to sign a new contract having negotiations for said contract cancelled by the club have won. :lol:

Ah but the player is still under contract for 2 years. Depends what Liverpool want to do - keep him to his contract and run it down, or cash in.

Think you're largely seeing what you want to see.

Possibly. But it is more schadenfreude than anything else. We went through pretty much the same last summer, and it is nice to see a club of Liverpool's stature experiencing the same.

And yes, those words from Rodgers are true (never miss a good opportunity to trot them out again) although said in a ****ish manner of the highest order (and a situation which we can pretend to have been in full control of).

“Southampton didn’t have to sell. Maybe their objectives have changed. I believe they were looking to be a Champions League club, and they were on course for that, but they obviously decided on a change of plan. I don’t have any sympathy for their situation. It’s just the way football works, it has always been the same. We signed three of their players because they play in a similar way to us and certain of their players fit the profile we are looking for but it wasn’t just us over the summer. Manchester United signed one of their players too, Arsenal took another. Players will always want to compete at the highest level they can and therefore gravitate to the biggest clubs.”

Brendan, this Sterling affair, it's just the way football works.

Ah but the player is still under contract for 2 years. Depends what Liverpool want to do - keep him to his contract and run it down, or cash in.

He is still under contract for 2 years, but if they keep him to that contract and fail to strengthen the team sufficiently so as to make a genuine attempt at getting back into the top 4 on a regular basis (rather than the one season in six they're currently going at), or they keep him to that contract and let him "rot in the reserves", his value diminishes significantly, even between two transfer windows.

He is still under contract for 2 years, but if they keep him to that contract and fail to strengthen the team sufficiently so as to make a genuine attempt at getting back into the top 4 on a regular basis (rather than the one season in six they're currently going at), or they keep him to that contract and let him "rot in the reserves", his value diminishes significantly, even between two transfer windows.

Ultimately Liverpool, while they can hold him to his contract, are going to be the losers. Are they will to cut their noses off? It would be nice if an owner said, sod this, and drew a line in the sand and said enough is enough and that they were not going to be held to ransom by a player. But that's £40m or whatever, and with FFP still around, maybe the value is more in selling him so that they can strengthen the rest of the side. It would also be nice, but rather naive in thinking it would ever happen, if the owners of all the clubs had a gentleman's agreement when players try and get their way not to buy them. But then there aren't any gentlemen in football so that is somewhat fanciful, of course compounded by the amount of money swilling around.

Money, and the unhealthy pursuit of it. Never was like this in the good old days.

Taking the Liverpool dislike-bias away, the best thing for Sterling is to play as many games as possible. Is that going to happen at City, Arsenal or Chelsea (no way in the world he's going to Utd)? He's a promising young England player and I'd hate to see him go the same way as Rodwell and countless others - just swallowed up by a Top 4 team and then have to rebuild his career. He's better off staying put IMO, but clearly won't.

Sterling was parachuted in as Englands saviour of sorts. He was a starter in the world cup and constantly hailed as one of the best youngsters in Europe.

To continue that development (regardless how over hyped it was about him a year ago) he needs to move from the current set up at liverpool.

Take the money away from it. He plays god knows how much and in what position? Striker, wingers, false 9, wing back, right back.....the list is endless.

Rodgers, the so called great developer of young players is/has essentially fuk'd him over this season due to the fact he either failed disastrously to use the new players properly or bought the wrong players (granted, they have a transfer committee)

Funniest thing about the Standard comments are him thinking "everyone in the Premier League will make a bid for [sterling]". I think you'll find they won't.

I think they would in the sense that (at the right price) everyone would want him. For some clubs, say Bournemouth, the right price is probably 10 million pounds and 25K a week. Clubs like that won't bother bidding, but they would certainly want him.

Be fair, every single team would want him. Half of the league is priced out is all.

More than half, I would say. Basically only three clubs could afford his wages unless he wants out of Liverpool so badly he would take less that 100K somewhere else. (Given Mourinho's comments about Shaw last summer, I suspect Chelsea would not pay as much as he seems to want.)

Be fair, every single team would want him. Half of the league is priced out is all.

Which is why not everyone will make a bid. If he's trying to say "everyone wants him" that's a completely different thing.

Sterling was parachuted in as Englands saviour of sorts. He was a starter in the world cup and constantly hailed as one of the best youngsters in Europe.

To continue that development (regardless how over hyped it was about him a year ago) he needs to move from the current set up at liverpool.

Take the money away from it. He plays god knows how much and in what position? Striker, wingers, false 9, wing back, right back.....the list is endless.

Rodgers, the so called great developer of young players is/has essentially fuk'd him over this season due to the fact he either failed disastrously to use the new players properly or bought the wrong players (granted, they have a transfer committee)

Bought the wrong players .........failed to use even the existing players let alone the new ones properly.............been found out as not as great as he thinks he is...........but an outstanding season for Brenda

Reading in-between the lines of what has been said by Sterling and his Agent... I think something has happened at Liverpool to make Sterling not want to stay there.... I really think its as simple as that. I do not think it has anything to do with money or loyalty. So for me its nothing like Lallana who basically was tapped up at the World Cup via Gerrard and was lured my money and "bigness" of Liverpool... For him it was greed and short-sightedness but for Sterling I think there is something more personal playing out here.....

Reading in-between the lines of what has been said by Sterling and his Agent... I think something has happened at Liverpool to make Sterling not want to stay there.... I really think its as simple as that. I do not think it has anything to do with money or loyalty. So for me its nothing like Lallana who basically was tapped up at the World Cup via Gerrard and was lured my money and "bigness" of Liverpool... For him it was greed and short-sightedness but for Sterling I think there is something more personal playing out here.....

Yeah I think this is on likely to be on the money. Wonder if we ever find out the real reason. It would be interesting to see if he actually does get out as well. How far is he willing to go to get away. Suarez tried pretty hard and didn't manage it.

I dislike Liverpool a great deal, but i get the impression that Sterling is not a very noce person at all. If his career peters out i will not be sad

Liverpool knew what he was like when they lured him away from QPR at 15 with...money.

So I have no sympathy. I feel like I've heard that sentence before.

I imagine it's a combination of factors.

Firstly, Liverpool have regressed significantly from last season when they were obviously genuine title contenders, which gives the impression that last season was the anomaly rather than this season's subsequent slump. For a player who was described by his manager earlier in the season as "one of the best young talents in Europe", that's not good enough and he should be playing for a team who will challenge on a regular basis.

Secondly, he's on a salary you or I would be more than happy with, but given his status as "one of the best young talents in Europe" and seeing the likes of Glen Johnson pocketing nearly four times more money than him to warm the bench for most of the season, no wonder he's been a bit put out by the relatively late interest in tying him down to a new extended deal. Why didn't they offer him this new contract last season when they were riding the crest of the wave and he'd have almost certainly signed?

So for me, it's about both success and money. He wants to win things, and he wants to be paid a fair rate in a squad of highly-paid players, of which he's arguably not one at the moment. £35k a week at Liverpool is peanuts.

Firstly, Liverpool have regressed significantly from last season when they were obviously genuine title contenders, which gives the impression that last season was the anomaly rather than this season's subsequent slump

This was written in October.....

http://whitehouseaddress.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/the-regression-to-mean-at-anfield.html

I quite like all his blogs, tbh, all worth a read.

what i don't understand is the lack of self awareness amongst liverpool fans.

They poached Sterling from QPR by offering him greater money/status with them so he isn't even a youth product of their "fabled" academy and they took 2 of our players against our will last season by offering them more money and status as a bigger club.

They do not see the ironic aspect to this situation and don't actually realise they are the northern version of Tottenham and have become a club who middle tablers join on the talent pathway towards the champions league clubs.

They need to build a bridge and get over it, especially fan base related arguments, they have so many fans in asia as asians are glory supporters and being a red shirted club who had loads of success in the 80's has led to that growth. I guarantee Chelsea will overtake them in fanbase stats in 10yrs time and their transformation into Tottenham will be complete.

Also when I look at liverpool's transfer policy over the summer they are like a woman who buys a dress because its such a good deal even though she wasn't dress shopping.

Unstructured purchases of players rather than a structured way of playing then recruiting the right type of players to implement it. I think Ricky was a great example of that, they were told he was available if they were interested and thought "I'll have a bit of that" and paid us cash.

Moneyball should of been the approach recruitment rather than impulse shopping.

you know what is really a great laugh about the this

#1 he really aint too good just has a lot of pace (remember Walcott and Chamberlayne)

#2 has been found out in quite a few games this season

#3 Brenda's reaction to all this !!!!

number 3 is the funniest.