Terrorist Attacks - WARNING: CONTAINS DISTRESSING IMAGES

sadoldgit

http://stopwar.org.uk/index.php/news/john-pilger-the-root-causes-of-terrorism-and-what-we-can-do-about-it

Some of you may remember John Pilger's reports from Indo China during the 60s and 70s. A pinko bleeding heart liberal maybe, but worth a read in these knee jerk times.

Given Stop The War Coalition's knee jerk reaction, I think I'll give visiting their website a miss.

Not sure if this article has been posted on here yet, but an indepth background on Daesh, with a viewpoint on how to tackle them. It was written in September, so before the Paris massacre.

http://www.newstatesman.com/world/middle-east/2015/09/islamist-zero-hour

Definitely worth a read.

Three long but very interesting articles and indeed well worth a read by everyone. It doesn't matter what you are - rabid right wing or a huggy fluffy leftist.

Not sure if this article has been posted on here yet, but an indepth background on Daesh, with a viewpoint on how to tackle them. It was written in September, so before the Paris massacre.

http://www.newstatesman.com/world/middle-east/2015/09/islamist-zero-hour

Definitely worth a read.

I did read most of that earlier today - I wanted to paste to get a word count. Excellent but was a mini book

What exactly were the questions and how were they framed? They might not be high enough for you but in a stats world I would say that they were quite conclusive. We elect people to run a country with less votes.

Nonsense. So if a survey found 47% of people say they would happily molest a child. SOG's response hey most won't so no need to worry.

Do Christians act on that today though? No is your answer. Muslims do.

erm yes there are a number of unpleasant Christain groups in the world today difference is they are doing nasty **** in places like Africa so no one cares.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

Even the troubles in Ireland had strong religious undertones yet I never remember there being a big backlash against Irish people or Catholics in this country in the 70s-80s

Nonsense. So if a survey found 47% of people say they would happily molest a child. SOG's response hey most won't so no need to worry.

If 10% of the country said they would happily molest a child that's 5 or 6 on every busy bus in Britain, or 3,000 at a SMS home match, where there are hundreds of children. But hey, 90% is, like, loads more so SOG would happily live in that world.

erm yes there are a number of unpleasant Christain groups in the world today difference is they are doing nasty **** in places like Africa so no one cares.

Even the troubles in Ireland had strong religious undertones yet I never remember there being a big backlash against Irish people or Catholics in this country in the 70s-80s

The first entry there is, well, The Gunpowder Plot.

All the other "nasty ****" listed here can easily be matched by the actions of Boko Haram in one country alone.

Nice try at achingly desperate moral equivalence but it doesn't really hang together.

You think that's the only significant difference?

There was plenty of anti-Irish sentiment, but again, do you really not understand the difference?

And what huge backlash has there been against Muslims?

The first entry there is, well, The Gunpowder Plot.

All the other "nasty ****" listed here can easily be matched by the actions of Boko Haram in one country alone.

Nice try at achingly desperate moral equivalence but it doesn't really hang together.

Not at all the post I replied to asked if Christians performed violence today just showing they do. At no point did I claim it was on the same level as Islamic extremism only that Christian extremism does exist and is violent today.

I did read most of that earlier today - I wanted to paste to get a word count. Excellent but was a mini book

Yes, long but well written! And long is what we need - long, complex, nuanced, dedicated solutions, that may play out over many years. I'm tired of reading opinion pieces from the left (that always start with western self blame) and the right (that lack any level of humanitarianism). A lot of convenient, pithy, holier than thou, black and white answers, that solve nothing beyond making those that write them feel better for a moment.

Long, nuanced, with a bias towards worldwide civilian welfare, is what this problem needs.

Not sure what purpose Muslims vs Christians comparisons serve. It is a fools errand, though a few simpletons on here seem up for the task.

If anyone even wanted to isolate the independent role of religion, they would have to control for the vast range of historical, geopolitical and socioeconomic factors that might equally account for fundamentalism and violence in parts of the Muslim world.

Good luck with that...

If 10% of the country said they would happily molest a child that's 5 or 6 on every busy bus in Britain, or 3,000 at a SMS home match, where there are hundreds of children. But hey, 90% is, like, loads more so SOG would happily live in that world.

You know better than that surely?

You know better than that surely?

I think the point being made is that although there is a minority, it is a SIGNIFICANT minority. If 90% of people were declared free of AIDs, don't you think that most people would be worried by the fact that 1 in 10 were carriers and the sale of johnnies would shoot through the roof???

It is still a very small minority. The vast majority in a small poll (1000 out of 1.6 billion) came out against the attacks. We know that the terrorists have some sympathy amongst other Muslims so the chance of it being 100% was zilch. The figures in support of living by our rules were even higher but have been completely ignored. Why? Because some seem us to believe that all Muslims post a threat.

Thing is we already have thousands of islamic militants in France, we do not need migrants to make any terrorist activity happen. When I came here 30 years ago we had plenty of Muslims, they didn't cause any trouble or make themselves very obvious, all pretty regular people.. Now when you go to the shops you have stacks of veiled women with 15 kids each, the problem is coming from within not without because we have no work for this population, nor do many of them seek it and the society is festering .

A few miles up the road from me you will find plenty of Christian women with 15 kids. In fact the woman over the road in a council house has 6 with another on the way.

Worth reposting for those using stats to try and prove that we are at risk from all Muslims in this country.

How many people have said that? Maybe one poster? And absolutely no one was trying to use stats to prove that all Muslims are a threat. Not a single poster. Nice of you to join another crusade by pointing out the flipping obvious. Thanks for enlightening us with brand new information like "not all Muslims living in Britain are a threat to the West." Who knew!

Worth reposting for those using stats to try and prove that we are at risk from all Muslims in this country.

I have no idea what the loyalty stat shows. There have been many, many instances of people doing horrific things "for their country" so I don't see any relevance to it at all. The 93% stat is more encouraging I agree.

I would actually be prepared to ignore the 27% statistic about British Muslims having 'sympathy' with the terrorist attack on CH (68% disagreed with that and the rest either refused to answer or weren't sure) as 'sympathy' feels like a very broad word to use and could cover any number of emotions. But 11% think organisations that display pictures of the Prophet DESERVE to be attacked. That is very clear cut. I have never, and would never, make stupid statements like 'all Muslims pose a threat', as that is clearly nonsense, but 11% is a fairly big minority in my opinion, particularly if you were prepared to extrapolate it to real numbers. If you don't agree it's a worryingly large percentage then fair enough, but I think most people would disagree with you

What's this I hear about the US signing a deal to sell $1.3bn worth of arms to Saudi Arabia!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34838937

sorry if it's been mentioned already.

Don't really see that as being especially relevant. The Saudis have been buying arms from the west for decades, I'm not aware of it being a particular bone of contention. Every country has an armed force of some description, they have to buy weapons from somewhere.

I am not ignoring any statists. But you do have to take things in context. Depending on what question you ask you can get a certain response. Muslims are deeply offended by any depiction of the Prophet. They will understand the anger against Charlie Hebdo by other Muslims. They may well have "sympathy" for the attack based on the fact that it is deeply offensive. If the question had been asked do you condone the killings at Charlie Hebdo due to the depiction of the Prophet, you might have got a different response. You might not also but we shall never know.

I was accused of spinning the figures which is interesting because I just quoted the figures from the survey.

I have found the article from the BBC and will reproduce it in full for C B Fry's benefit. If I am spinning anything then so is the BBC so I am in good company.

1000 Muslims were surveyed across Britain from 26th January to 20th February for BBC Radio 4

"The majority of British Muslims oppose violence against people who publish images depicting the Prophet Muhammad, a poll for the BBC suggests. The survey also indicates most have no sympathy with those who want to fight against western interests. But 27% of the 1000 Muslims polled by ComRes said they had some sympathy for the motives behind the \paris attacks. Almost 80% said they had found it deeply offensive when images depicting the Prophet were published. 95% feel a loyalty to Britian. 93% say they should obey British laws. 46% feel prejudice against Islam makes it difficult being a Muslim in Britain. 78% are offended when images of the Prophet Muhammad are published. 11% feel sympathy for people who want to fight against western interests. Asked if acts of violence against those who publish images of the Prophet Muhhammad can "never be justified" 68% agreed that such violence was never justifiable. But 24% disagreed with the statement while the rest replied "don't know" or refused to answer. The poll suggests that 32% of British Muslims were not surprised by Januarys attacks on the magazine and a kosher supermarket. The poll also suggests that almost half of Brit Muslims belive they face discrimination because of their faith and that Britain is becoming less tolerant while the same % feel prejudice against Islam makes it difficult being a Muslim in the UK.

Cont.... some 35% said they felt most British people did not trust Muslims and a fifth said they thought Western liberal; society could never be compatible with Islam. Of those polled 95% felt a loyalty to Britain while 93% believed that Muslims in Britain should always obey British laws. Nearly 20% of Muslim women questioned said they felt unsafe in Britain compared with 10% of men (there is that 10% again Mr Fry!).

So then, when it comes to spinning figures you might like to ask the poster who only put two stats from the survey and in the negative form in his initial post what his aim was instead of having a pop at me.

How many people have said that? Maybe one poster? And absolutely no one was trying to use stats to prove that all Muslims are a threat. Not a single poster. Nice of you to join another crusade by pointing out the flipping obvious. Thanks for enlightening us with brand new information like "not all Muslims living in Britain are a threat to the West." Who knew!

You really are like a broken record Hypo. Once again you go off on one and completely miss the point. Oh and I am still waiting for your apology over the accusation of making something up.

You really are like a broken record Hypo. Once again you go off on one and completely miss the point. Oh and I am still waiting for your apology over the accusation of making something up.
You've filled this thread up with posts of made up stuff, only you know why you do it I guess.

Why would I apologise? You've done it in two threads now. Show me one post where someone has used stats to show that all Muslims are a threat? Show me where someone has suggested we should kill all Muslims? Then I will apologise. Until then how about you stop making stuff up, it certainly doesn't help your argument.

Edited by hypochondriac

Cont.... some 35% said they felt most British people did not trust Muslims and a fifth said they thought Western liberal; society could never be compatible with Islam. Of those polled 95% felt a loyalty to Britain while 93% believed that Muslims in Britain should always obey British laws. Nearly 20% of Muslim women questioned said they felt unsafe in Britain compared with 10% of men (there is that 10% again Mr Fry!).

So then, when it comes to spinning figures you might like to ask the poster who only put two stats from the survey and in the negative form in his initial post what his aim was instead of having a pop at me.

"Acts of violence against those who publish images of the Prophet Mohammad can never be justified" Over 30% didn't agree with that statement. And you don't think that should be a genuine cause for concern? Bonkers.

Why would I apologise? You've done it in two threads now. Show me one post where someone has used stats to show that all Muslims are a threat and then I will apologise.

I have explained that post already. I have never said that someone has used stats to show all Muslims are a threat. I have used stats to show that all Muslims are not a threat.

Really, like what exactly?

I can't be bothered to trawl back and find your exact quote but for starters:

"posters on here are saying we should kill all Muslims"

"posters on here are using stats to try to say that all Muslims are a threat. "

Both lies and you have failed to find a single example.

If there are so many, knock yourself out. Lets have them if you really have nothing better to offer the discussion than yet another pointless point scoring post.

See above. You are the one writing blatant untruths and then whining that no one else has anything to offer in this thread. How about stop writing lies and stick to talking about the issues and then it won't be so difficult for others to do the same.

I thought all this dredging up other threads and arguing in the gutter with the riff raff was beneath you? I thought it was disrespectful to those who died in Paris and an insult to their memory? You hypocrite.

Are you and CB officially an 'item' now?

For your information, I did think this kind of stuff to be in bad taste in the immediate aftermath of Friday's terrible events. I'm told however that to allow terror to alter ones behaviour is - in a sense - allowing 'them' to win. So you can rest assured that normal activities on here are now resumed you sad little man.

:)

I can't be bothered to trawl back and find your exact quote but for starters:

"posters on here are saying we should kill all Muslims"

"posters on here are using stats to try to say that all Muslims are a threat. "

Both lies and you have failed to find a single example.

One poster in particular said that Muslims (he didn't specify terrorists so I assume he means all of them) are a threat because of what is written in the Koran. Another presented figures in a way that tried to shown Muslims in a particular light. Help me find the quote about killing all Muslims and I will give you the context.

Who said that? Fact is there are thousands of European men fighting for ISIS, and just like the mass grooming scandals we've seen (which haven't been confined to the UK), something has undoubtedly gone horribly wrong within SOME Islamic communities.

Are you and CB officially an 'item' now?

For your information, I did think this kind of stuff to be in bad taste in the immediate aftermath of Friday's terrible events. I'm told however that to allow terror to alter ones behaviour is - in a sense - allowing 'them' to win. So you can rest assured that normal activities on here are now resumed you sad little man.

:)

I'm glad that you're the moral arbiter on this forum. Thank goodness that we can take our cues from you. So what was the cutoff point? Friday it was disgusting and disrespectful but Sunday you can return to your grandstanding and pomposity with impunity?

See above. You are the one writing blatant untruths and then whining that no one else has anything to offer in this thread. How about stop writing lies and stick to talking about the issues and then it won't be so difficult for others to do the same.

Okay you are very good at making accusations. Where are the blatant untruths and lies please? As for the "others" you mean you and your buddies CB Fry and Sour Mash?

Who said that? Fact is there are thousands of European men fighting for ISIS, and just like the mass grooming scandals we've seen (which haven't been confined to the UK), something has undoubtedly gone horribly wrong within SOME Islamic communities.

I have already provided that response.